http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearing completion on my website  (Read 1955 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2004, 02:16:06 PM »

I'm entering school this fall and thought that I would build a website to accompany my studies - just for fun mainly.  I really want to build up an online public health discussion community, since there currently are none.

Anyhow, check it out and give me feedback:
http://www.publichealthcenter.com

It's been a lot of fun putting it together and learning all about HTML, Linux, PHP, Wordpress, LaTeX (which is cool... check out the Test forum), etc... The neat thing is that, with the Wordpress structure driving the posting databases, it only takes me about 5 minutes each day to put up new articles, have them properly categorized, and automatically moved to the archives.  Likewise, the organizations are handled through wp.  For the copyrighted articles, I actually have the entire text of them in my database, so that they are searchable, though the results will only return the title and the link. [/url]

stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:33:06 PM »

I really like the category tabs (Women, Africa, Policy, etc.).  That's the kind of thing we hope to see with CG news in the future.

Very clean design.  The only thing I would keep an eye on is that the text doesn't wrap around the BBC Health News box, but that is just cosmetic.

A very nice site and undoubtedly a handy resource for those in the field.  What are your studies?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 08:50:51 PM »

Thanks!  Actually, the BBC News Box is a float, and an RSS feed, so depending on what is pulled, it will appear bigger, etc...  I'll probably remove the right margin and border, to make it appear like it's stuck to the right side.  

Anyhow, I'm entering the 2-year Master's Degree program in Population and International Health at the Harvard Sch. of Public Health this fall.  I'm really excited!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:51:42 PM »

I think the site looks great!

Of course, I tried learning HTML and all that stuff at one point, and I crashed pretty bad.

So I hold mucho respect for anyone that can do this kind of thing.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 05:50:38 AM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Anyhow, I'm entering the 2-year Master's Degree program in Population and International Health at the Harvard Sch. of Public Health this fall.  I'm really excited!

I wondered about that.  I couldn't think of the field I was thinking of.  Not quite sociology, but the site looked as if it made a special point of saying the region and demographics of the people involved.  I have a book that mentions that, but I can't recall what it is called...

Good luck on that degree.  That sounds like an impressive and interesting field.  What are the jobs out there for something like that?  I would imagine something with the UN, but other than a public policy body I can't think of too many.  It's certainly specialized, with your focus on the world.

Again, congrats on keeping it clean and intuitive.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 01:06:46 PM »

Ok, so now that the website is mostly finished, I have to pimp it out to public health students and professionals, to get them to visit.  I would like your suggestions as to how to do this in an effective manner.  So far, I can think of these things:
  • Mass email
  • Fliers at public health schools
  • Business cards with the website listed
  • Ice Cream truck with loudspeaker  biggrin

It strikes me that I may have more luck getting new (that would mean first-year) students to visit the sites than those that have been with their programs for multiple years.  With that in mind, I at least have the opportunity to reach the new Harvard students during orientation.  We'll all be grouped together like sheep.  So, what do I do?  What do you think?

Here's the site again, if you want another look:
http://www.publichealthcenter.com

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »

My suggestion?  Talk with the PR drone for the school and show them the site.  They are always looking for better ways of retaining new students, let them know that this isn't something you are going to drop over summer break, and then print business cards.  If you go the card route, let me know and I'll direct you to the place I use. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »

I'll probably do business cards, but I would like to have the front match the standard Harvard grad student cards, and have the website logo on the back.  Which company is it that you use?

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 09:18:31 PM »

Ok... take another look.  I have a mock for the same site that is a little less busy, doesn't require javascript, has fewer images, and does away with a separate Archives page.  Same content, though.  What do you think?
http://www.publichealthcenter.com/gemini.php

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

Looking good. Only thing that stood out to me was the rollover on the top links [about, discussion, schools...]. I don't like how the sun is getting cut off. I might just be picky, but any image that is cut off in a non-artistic manner, looks like a mistake.

LiveTAG: happydog
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 12:54:17 AM »

I need to know what your site does- it is not readily apparent from this index page.  The first thing I need to know when I visit that index page is what your company/ website does.

And yes, spell it out for the stupid people, because there are a TON of them slywink

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 05:58:33 AM »

Well, content is another issue... I was working on the visual design at the moment.  Yes, I do need to explain better.

The sun thing sort of bugs me, too.  I've messed around with a lot of different hover possibilities for those links and am not completely satisfied yet.  Hmm.

edit: I tried to fix the clipping of the sun -- at least for the most part.

@FoolishStudios: Where would you suggest putting the information about what the site is/does?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: