http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA players upset over new dress code  (Read 1277 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2193984

Just another reason i won't watch or support anything NBA related.  These freakin jerks are upset they have to dress nice when representing the league.  And Marcus Camby wants a stipend!  Starving people all over the world and he wants a stipend when he already makes millions.  
I better stop before i say something i really shouldn't.  Does this strike a nerve with anyone else?

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »

Yeah, why are they complaining?  They get paid millions of dollars for playing a game they love and they whine about dressing nice for team functions.

I say to them :

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »

I'm not sure I understood the article, I couldn't find WHERE the dress code would be the rule.  I mean, on the court they have uniforms right?  So is this for official team functions or do they expect players to dress a certain way when they are on their own time?

I could understand if it is just for official NBA and/or team functions, but not on their own time.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:31:23 PM »

Here's a related article :http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2181671

and from that :

Team functions would include team flights, traveling to and from games and at public appearances. The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported the dress code would be backed up by NBA fines.

Doesn't sound like they have much to complain about.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 08:33:48 PM »

They get paid millions of dollars.  And they whine about having to dress up.  Seriously?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 08:34:36 PM »

If I were paid thousands/millions of dollars to play the game I love, I think I could handle wearing a shirt/tie when in public.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 09:10:59 PM »

This is why I hate sports. Other than soccer. I like soccer.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 09:49:52 PM »

This year the minimum salary for an NBA rookie is $398,762.  I make less than 10% of this figure and I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday.  Give me a fucking break.

My advice is to either buy the nicest or ugliest suits possible.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 09:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I make less than 10% of this figure and I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday.

and you look DAMN good, sexy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 10:24:40 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

and from that :

Team functions would include team flights, traveling to and from games and at public appearances. The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported the dress code would be backed up by NBA fines.

I'd hate it if I had to wear nice clothes on long plane rides. I always go with what's most comfortable.

Then gain, if I got paid millions of dollars to bounce a ball, I'd probably ride the plane naked.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
Quote from: "Nth Power"

and from that :

I'd hate it if I had to wear nice clothes on long plane rides. I always go with what's most comfortable.

Then gain, if I got paid millions of dollars to bounce a ball, I'd probably ride the plane naked.

It's not like these guys are riding coach.  A suit (sans jacket) isn't all that uncomfortable to sit in for a while in first class (or on a charter flight).
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 12:26:49 AM »

Quote from: "Koz"

Buy a better suit.  It's not like these guys are (or even can) shop off the rack.  I think some of my suit pants are among the most comfortable I own.  Unbutton the shirt and loosen the tie.  Go geek with the short sleeves and clip-on.  Man, of all the issues to rally around.  These guys are sick.

And you know what else, the Toronto Raptors lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv (yes, from Tel Aviv, Isreal).  So these guys should just shut the hell up.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 12:42:16 AM »

This kinda reminds me of this past summer when TO was crying on television about his contract and he was trying to do what was best for his family.  Gimme a freakin break.  
My wife and I have literally been saving pennies now for months so we can take a trip to an orphanage in Haiti to help starving children and these jerks want to complain about having to dress respectfully while ON THE JOB.  
I guess things like this are hitting a nerve with me lately.  The average folks, like us around here, have to save months ahead of time to go on a vacation or to buy something nice and these prima donnas wanna whine when they make more in a year than i'll ever see in a lifetime.

/rant off

depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 02:14:25 AM »

I know how you feel Xmann.  I'm just a college student about ready to graduate.  And I sometimes think about how I won't even make COMBINED throughout my life the salary that professional athletes make in one or two years.

Gets me sour for a little bit.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 07:01:09 PM »

My favorite quote comes from this article on Yahoo.

While the league may be trying to present a better image to its corporate partners, some of its players fear that they may lose out on the core fan base.

``We don't really sell to big business,'' Suns guard Raja Bell said. ``We sell to kids and people who are into the NBA hip-hop world. They may be marketing to the wrong people with this.''

Hey Raja, take a look around at the people paying for those pricey tickets.  Corporations buy the suites and people with huge amounts of extra cash (ie, not kids) are buying your season tickets.  Big business owns your ass. :roll:
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"
My favorite quote comes from this article on Yahoo.

While the league may be trying to present a better image to its corporate partners, some of its players fear that they may lose out on the core fan base.

``We don't really sell to big business,'' Suns guard Raja Bell said. ``We sell to kids and people who are into the NBA hip-hop world. They may be marketing to the wrong people with this.''

Hey Raja, take a look around at the people paying for those pricey tickets.  Corporations buy the suites and people with huge amounts of extra cash (ie, not kids) are buying your season tickets.  Big business owns your ass. :roll:

To be fair, I think guys like him are referring to the tv audience.  After all, attendance in even a soldout stadium pales in significance to the numbers of people watching even the lowest rated NBA game on tv.  In one area, you are counting people in the tens of thousands, in the other you are counting millions.

Also, in terms of money, endorsements are a big deal for alot of players, right?  Well, you aren't trying to sell sneakers to Mr. Corporate President, that's for sure.  So I can see where he's coming from on that.

Looking at it another way, these guys(players) are obviously hip hop through and through and everyone knows it.  Putting suits on them isn't going to change that, it's just pretending to not know it.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 08:31:55 PM »

Hey; Marcus Camby can't help it...  He's been getting free clothing and other stuff since his UMass days.

Still annoyed that the '96 Final Four appearance 'doesn't count' now.

NBA realizing that it's going to fall behind curling one of these days; suits is a nice start but frankly they need to make the games stop sucking.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 02:27:06 AM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001

next thing you know Al Sharptin will be representing some of these guys

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 06:19:22 AM »

Still annoyed that the '96 Final Four appearance 'doesn't count' now.

NBA realizing that it's going to fall behind curling one of these days; suits is a nice start but frankly they need to make the games stop sucking.

Bingo! JLu - the "Nail on the Head" award to you!  And that's why I even know who Marcus Canby is - because college ball is so much more exciting than the NBA - unless you go back a spell to, say Larry Bird, Kevin McHail, Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson... et cetera... and their opponents like Magic Johnson, oh my!

Nice touch, too, on the "falling behind curling"...  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: