http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA Cock Block  (Read 1007 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »

I know most of you are Laker haters, but whatever.  I found this news pretty weird and annoying all around:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/09/idUS122638148320111209

They didn't do anything to block the "Big 3" merging together in Miami, yet they veto a trade that gives the Lakers a single tiny point guard in place of 2 of the best power forwards in the league.  I mean WTF man.  I love Chris Paul but I wouldn't give up Pau AND Odom for him.  Think about the remaining starting line up in this case:

Kobe - past prime
Chris Paul - prime PG
Bynum - craptastic injury prone baby
Uhhh, I dunno - Metta World Peace - insane and old
Kapono - OK he's hot but certainly nothing near an All-Star

How is this lineup worthy of being vetoed, particularly relative to Miami's Big 3?  And we still have Luke freaking Walton sucking up money. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »

The explanation I've heard is they're trying to limit the movement of stars from small market teams to big market teams (which is exactly what happened last summer). LA would get CP3 and the Hornets would get a Kardashian.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 09, 2011, 07:10:06 PM

The explanation I've heard is they're trying to limit the movement of stars from small market teams to big market teams (which is exactly what happened last summer). LA would get CP3 and the Hornets would get a Kardashian.

I understand conceptually - but this isn't a case like when the Lakers got Pau for Kwame Brown and his brother (which in retrospect wasn't horrible given how good his brother has become).  New Orleans stands to lose CP3 next year for NOTHING.  This deal at least gives them Odom, a legitimate All-Star, and you can make fun of Kardashians all you want but it's going to draw people/attention to New Orleans.  Not to mention the Lakers lose Pau on TOP of that, so it's not like the "big market" team is getting some huge advantage.  In fact you could argue it's a poor deal for the Lakers strategically.  If it weren't for obvious personality/personal clashes within the team, this deal really should never have even been conceived.  Yes the Lakers need a PG but at the cost of 2 incredibly talented and versatile big men?  Really?

The problem is now that the cat's out of the bag, it's essentially fucked the whole Lakers season.  How are Pau and Odom supposed to go to work knowing they are/were essentially already traded?  Now you might argue that one or both of them knew this was coming after last year, but it's still a pretty ugly place to be in.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »

I pretty much do not follow basketball at all as I find it entirely boring and a joke of a sport, but this is COMPLETELY ridiculous.

Bill Simmons takes the league to task:  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7334835/the-sixth-day-nba-christmas

And I find it completely hilarious that Dan Gilbert's pathetic letter to the commissioner was leaked: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7335431/text-dan-gilbert-email-david-stern

I can only assume it was written in Comic Sans.

Notice to small market teams:  No shit it's harder to compete.  You are in a small market.  Get over it.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »

i think the issue is NO is such a basketball wasteland the NBA has to own the team to keep it there - the nba doesnt care about NO getting better, they care about the hornets making enough money so the wash the league takes isnt as horrible as it could be.  i like odom (im from NE), but he isnt going to put people in the stands, even if the team does get better with him and the rest of the crew.  people DO go to that arena to watch chris paul, and this year hell put people in the stands.  hes not going anywhere.

the fact that it would have let LA get the best player in the trade and shed a shit ton of salary just made the decision that much easier, nevermind the fact that it made it super obvious that the magic were going to have a gun pointed at their head to trade howard after a CBA was just signed that ostensibly removed the agent / player leverage that owners were so pissed about

and i think the league is on notice as well that the nba doesnt like owning this team so someone better come forward and snatch it up because the league isnt averse ruining peoples days when it comes to teams they own.  there are a few markets in the nba that the league wants teams in, but that arent money makers - this is notice that owners DO NOT WANT more teams to be bailed out by the nba.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »

There's a severe shortsidedness to that perspective though:

Chris Paul is a Hornet for at most this season only.  The NBA can't keep him there past his contract.  The Hornets GM got what appears to be the greatest possible return for that asset and now, after one year, will get absolutely nothing.  That will kill the team.  No one is going to buy a team that will have literally no good players after one year.  No chance.

I have no idea why the NBA did this.  None whatsoever.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

i was assuming the nba was going to be exerting quite a bit of pressure on NO / LA (*edit* the state not the city - confusing in this thread! smile) to get something done before the close of the next year / year and a half
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »

oh and rittchard - love the thread title slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 09, 2011, 07:58:15 PM

i was assuming the nba was going to be exerting quite a bit of pressure on NO / LA (*edit* the state not the city - confusing in this thread! smile) to get something done before the close of the next year / year and a half

Get what done?  Sign Chris Paul?  Chris Paul has already told them he is absolutely opting out of his contract.  Sell the team?  You have to find a buyer who would want to buy the worst team in the league, with it's only marketable star leaving, in a city that is not paying to go to the games?  Who's dumb enough to do that?

You can't squeeze blood out of a rock, and you can't exert pressure on anyone to do literally the impossible.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »

never underestimate the power of professional sports to get cities to pony out enormous sums of cash they dont have

ask the marlins
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on December 09, 2011, 08:06:02 PM

never underestimate the power of professional sports to get cities to pony out enormous sums of cash they dont have

ask the marlins

I still don't understand what you think this addresses.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 09, 2011, 07:25:44 PM

I pretty much do not follow basketball at all as I find it entirely boring and a joke of a sport, but this is COMPLETELY ridiculous.

Bill Simmons takes the league to task:  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7334835/the-sixth-day-nba-christmas

That's a fantastic article, gellar - thanks for sharing it!!

My ranting was even before I remembered all the details about the NBA owning New Orleans.  What a joke, and as he wrote, it screws up 5 teams that worked hundreds of hours to get the deal done.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

This thread fails to deliver. With Rittchard making a thread called 'NBA Cock Block', I was expecting the post to start like this:

'So the other day, I won some backstage passes to the Lakers game! And after many, many years of having mandingo thoughts, my wildest fantasies came true...'

icon_razz
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 09, 2011, 09:25:15 PM

This thread fails to deliver. With Rittchard making a thread called 'NBA Cock Block', I was expecting the post to start like this:

'So the other day, I won some backstage passes to the Lakers game! And after many, many years of having mandingo thoughts, my wildest fantasies came true...'

icon_razz

Would this be rittchard's fantasy or yours???  icon_wink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »

I found this block to be completely ridiculous also. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on December 09, 2011, 09:36:57 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 09, 2011, 09:25:15 PM

icon_razz

Would this be rittchard's fantasy or yours???  icon_wink

Touche! icon_lol
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 09, 2011, 07:56:31 PM

Chris Paul is a Hornet for at most this season only.  The NBA can't keep him there past his contract.  The Hornets GM got what appears to be the greatest possible return for that asset and now, after one year, will get absolutely nothing.  That will kill the team.  No one is going to buy a team that will have literally no good players after one year.  No chance.

I agree 100%.  Paul isn't staying in New Orleans.  Next year he'll be a Knick.  At least the hornets would have gotten something in return for him.  Next year they don't get squat.  So next year if the team isn't sold, they have a small market team with zero talent.  Not very marketable.  Stern folded under pressure from the other small market owners.  I don's like the trend of teams loaded with super stars but this felt different from the Miami deal.  This was done the old fashioned way with a trade. 
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »

The only half way ok justification I can see for doing this is that they plan on dissolving the Hornets after this season.

morlac00 on PSN
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on December 09, 2011, 07:56:31 PM

Yep this solves nothing. Stern caved in to the small market owners who see the big stars with too much power. In the end it won't change anything except the Hornets won't get anything when CP leaves as a free agent after the season.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

1.  This is what happens when the league owns a team.  Everyone gets a say and does anyone think the other owners want to see another Miami-style "Dream Team"? 

2.  This is a tweak at the players from some of the owners.

3.  From a basketball standpoint, the trade sucked.  The Hornets got a bunch of guys who have clearly peaked at "mediocre" and got no young talent: 

- 32 year old Lamar Odom, who averaged 10/10 last year and probably can't do it again.  He's on the downside of his career.  At least the Hornets could get out of his contract after this year.  So he's most likely a one year rental.
- 29 year old Kevin Martin, whose scoring prowess is artificially inflated since he played for Sacramento.  He can score some (14ppg last year) but can't defend worth a lick.  He's also not getting any better and the Hornets are stuck with his $12m salary for two years.
- Luis Scola, who will be 32 this season and is a 10/6 guy.  They're also on the hook for $30m over the next year years.
- Goran Dragic, who is 25 and isn't all that promising.  His numbers (7.1ppg, 2apg) took a step back last year.
- A mid-20s #1 pick. 

Big fucking deal.  An aging Lamar Odom (for one year) and a couple of guys who are worthy of the mid-cap exemption (at best) but are grossly overpaid.  It's a horrible deal.  We all know that Paul is leaving after this year and the Hornets' leverage is limited.  But if that's the best deal the Hornet's GM could make, he needs to back to work at Taco Bell and they need to hire someone with at least half a brain.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »

This trade was too advantageous to the Lakers and detrimental to the Hornets.  Thats the bottom line.  It isnt Sterns job to look out for the Lakers best interests it his job to try and keep the league viable.  Grabbing one of the best young guards in the game, while dumping overaged overpaid player baggage, would have been a great trade for the Lakers and bull shit for the Hornets.  Maybe its true that the Hornets are likely doomed regardless but this trade would only make that even more inevitable.   If you look at this with an unbiased eye, you have to see that this trade is horrible for the Hornets. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 10, 2011, 01:48:30 PM

This trade was too advantageous to the Lakers and detrimental to the Hornets.  Thats the bottom line.  It isnt Sterns job to look out for the Lakers best interests it his job to try and keep the league viable.  Grabbing one of the best young guards in the game, while dumping overaged overpaid player baggage, would have been a great trade for the Lakers and bull shit for the Hornets.  Maybe its true that the Hornets are likely doomed regardless but this trade would only make that even more inevitable.   If you look at this with an unbiased eye, you have to see that this trade is horrible for the Hornets. 

I don't think you're understanding the main point here - after this season, Chris Paul is going to leave the Hornets and sign with another team (possibly even the Lakers). And so, in effect, the league has blocked the Hornets for getting anybody for him. Would the Hornets win more games with Chris Paul this season than they would with all those Laker players? Possibly. Will they lose a good deal more games next season (and possibly the next few seasons) if the trade doesn't go through than they would if the trade was made? Unquestionably yes. The trade wasn't about this season, really. It was about helping New Orleans in the long run.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 10, 2011, 12:06:13 PM

3.  From a basketball standpoint, the trade sucked.  The Hornets got a bunch of guys who have clearly peaked at "mediocre" and got no young talent:  

- 32 year old Lamar Odom, who averaged 10/10 last year and probably can't do it again.  He's on the downside of his career.  At least the Hornets could get out of his contract after this year.  So he's most likely a one year rental.
- 29 year old Kevin Martin, whose scoring prowess is artificially inflated since he played for Sacramento.  He can score some (14ppg last year) but can't defend worth a lick.  He's also not getting any better and the Hornets are stuck with his $12m salary for two years.
- Luis Scola, who will be 32 this season and is a 10/6 guy.  They're also on the hook for $30m over the next year years.
- Goran Dragic, who is 25 and isn't all that promising.  His numbers (7.1ppg, 2apg) took a step back last year.
- A mid-20s #1 pick.  

Big fucking deal.  An aging Lamar Odom (for one year) and a couple of guys who are worthy of the mid-cap exemption (at best) but are grossly overpaid.  It's a horrible deal.  We all know that Paul is leaving after this year and the Hornets' leverage is limited.  But if that's the best deal the Hornet's GM could make, he needs to back to work at Taco Bell and they need to hire someone with at least half a brain.

Your stats are HILARIOUSLY wrong.

1) Lamar Odom averaged 14.4 points with 8.6 rebounds (and averaged 3 assists as a power forward).  This is in line with his career norms.  A 10/10 where he "probably can't do it again"?  Bzzt.

2) Kevin Martin averaged 23.4 points last year.  This was 9th in the NBA in scoring last year.  14 ppg last year, can "score some" and "is not getting any better"?  "Stuck with his salary"?  Bzzt.

3) Luis Scola was an 18.3/8.2 guy last year.  His career numbers are 14.3/8.0.  A 10/6 guy? "On the hook for $30m" (which is also wrong, by the way)?  Bzzt.

4) Goran Dragic averaged 7.5 ppg and 2.9 apg.  7.1ppg/2apg?  Bzzt.

If you're going to lambast a trade that most people who (clearly) know more about basketball than you thinks was pretty damn good, especially given the situation, you should at least get the numbers right before you flail about with your misinformed opinions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:01:46 PM by pr0ner » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 10, 2011, 03:19:01 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 10, 2011, 01:48:30 PM

I don't think you're understanding the main point here - after this season, Chris Paul is going to leave the Hornets and sign with another team (possibly even the Lakers). And so, in effect, the league has blocked the Hornets for getting anybody for him. Would the Hornets win more games with Chris Paul this season than they would with all those Laker players? Possibly. Will they lose a good deal more games next season (and possibly the next few seasons) if the trade doesn't go through than they would if the trade was made? Unquestionably yes. The trade wasn't about this season, really. It was about helping New Orleans in the long run.

Oh I understand that.  I was just pointing out the rationale for the rejection of the trade.  Without a bonafide star like Chris Paul on their roster,

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 12:22:31 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 10, 2011, 03:49:52 PM

Correct stats

Whoops, looked at the wrong stats.  My bad.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:22 AM »

I was way off on the stats of the other guys, but it appears that CP will be traded to the Clips in a far better deal for the Hornets.

CP3
2 2nd round picks

for

Eric Gordon
Chris Kaman
Al-Farouq Aminu
Minn 1st Round pick (unprotected)

Compared to the other deal, this one is a gem for the Hornets.  Gordon (22ppg) is better than anyone they'd have gotten in the LA deal and only 22.  Kaman is coming off injury, but was a 18/9 guy two years ago and is 29.  Aminu is a question mark, but young (21) and an easy salary.  Plus they'll get what is likely a top 10 pick next year.  So they get young guys to build around, easy salaries to handle (Kaman's deal expires next year) and a good draft pick. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: