http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 04:13:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Treasure  (Read 4722 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2004, 06:37:58 PM »

I caught this trailer when I was watching the series?  Jerry's back with Cage... what do you guys think?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 06:49:11 PM »

I was telling my wife last night that it looked interesting to me.  It caught my eye in an Indiana Jones kind of way for some reason.  No clue if it will be good or not and I hate the way that movie trailers and commercials like to spoil plot points (we see the Boromir dude pointing a gun and asking for the next clue, so I assume he is going to betray Cage and the girl).

At any rate, it looks like an interesting storyline to me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:06:40 PM »

Looks like a fun popcorn filck.  I like Cage and Buckhimer so I will probably check it out.

Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 08:23:08 PM »

Looks like a stupid fun movie, and I'm a sucker for those (The Mummy, The Rundown, Tremors, etc.). I'll probably go see it unless the reviews are abysmal.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 08:56:20 PM »

Jerry Bruckheimer is a good producer? If it pleases the court, I believe that I have six pieces of irrefutable evidence that proves beyond a resonable doubt that Jerry Bruckheimer consitently puts out shit for movies:

1). Kangaroo Jack (2003)
2).Pearl Harbor (2001)
3). Coyote Ugly (2000)
4). Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)
5). Armageddon (1998)
6). Con Air (1997)

:wink:
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 09:29:31 PM »

In Bruckheimer's defense, not that he need's defending I'm sure he'd tell you this also; Do his movies lose money?

Maybe you might want to ask the studio bean-counters if they do.

I haven't seen ALL those turkey's on Ralph Wiggum's list, but at the end of a movie's run the only thing the studio care's about is whether they made or lost money on the movie. Right?

At the end of my day all I want when I go to a movie is to be entertained. Most of Bruckheimer's movie's do that. Not all, but most. He HIT's more than he MISSES.

Back on topic, National Treasure looks decent. I'll probably wait to see it on HBO next year.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 09:39:42 PM »

Ignoring the fact that Gone in Sixty Seconds was actually an enjoyable movie, I offer the following:

Beverly Hills Cop
The Rock
Remember the Titans
Pirates of the Caribbean

The guy doesn't make a perfect movie every time, but I don't suppose you do everything right all the time either do you Ralph? Unless you're actually perfect, in which case I'm sure Hollywood is just waiting for you to come along and show them how movies should be made biggrin
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 09:47:49 PM »

This one went totally by my radar.  I had never even heard of it until I saw the ad yesterday.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »

What I don't understand is what the nature of this 'treasure' really is. It can't just be gold or jewels, because that is hardly worth the elaborate conspiracy the trailer hints at. So what can it be, a religious artifact like in Raiders of the Lost Ark?
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 10:18:45 PM »

I don't know exactly either.  The story I got was that it is $$ in some form.  It was the Knights Templar treasure... hmm...maybe I need to go check out the web site, tomorrow.

Jerry has made some great films in my book:

The Rock - still a classic in my book, love to ctach this on TV.
Con Air - a bit over the top but watchable
Pirates of The Caribbean
Enemy of the State
Armageddon

Wow, I am checkin out the imDB list and it just keeps going... so I'll guess I'll stop here for now.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 10:34:11 PM »

I love this type movie but HATE Cage. I was telling the wife how much this movie would rock without him in it. She said she might even watch it if i wanted to. Ill wait on PPV and then still dislike it because of Cage.Ive hated him every since I saw him the first time in that lame ass vampire movie many years ago. God awful movie and actor.

Maybe this movie will change my opinion of him.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 10:39:58 PM »

I liked Coyote Ugly...

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 10:46:29 PM »

I was just ribbing you guys (though I do think the movies on my list stink). Bruckheimer has made some decent films which I've enjoyed (PoC, The Rock, Beverly Hills Cop, etc).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »

From the minute I saw the first preview for this, I thought it looked just plain silly.  My reaction was along the lines of the girl who says or is told "There's a treasure map on the back of the Declaration of Independence."

The nail in the coffin was Bruckheimer's involvement.  I like a few of his movies, but I attribute those mainly to the directors, and like them in spite of Bruckheimer's inolvement.  I'm all for popcorn flicks, but I hate giving Bruckheimer my money.

Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 11:58:36 PM »

I like ridiculous movies.  The Rock was fun but from the trailers this looked too ridiculous even for me.  And the trailers are supposed to be some of the best parts of the movie.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 12:59:07 AM »

The trailers for this make it look like some of the most ridiculous god awful tripe ever to hit the screen.

This from the guy that thinks the Mummy movies are High Cinema.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 02:03:45 AM »

Looks interesting, probably will wait for dvd since movies are a rip off now
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 02:10:53 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
The trailers for this make it look like some of the most ridiculous god awful tripe ever to hit the screen.

This from the guy that thinks the Mummy movies are High Cinema.

I haven't seen the Mummy but I'd like to since it seems to have a sense of campy fun.  This movie and much of Jerry Bruckheimer's stuff seems to have an overinflated sense of self-importance.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 02:17:06 AM »

Jerry Bruckenheimer produces so many movies that you get the good (Pirates, The Rock, Black Hawk Down, etc) with the shit (Armageddon, Kangaroo Jack, Pearl Harbor, etc).  In my book he averages out and I never know if I'm going to luck what he produced.  Then again you can usually tell by the director, and the same guy that directed The Mummy is doing National Treasure so prepare yourself accordingly.  Sure he makes lots of money, but so did Barney.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 03:38:41 AM »

The Illuminati??!?!?!? Sign me up!  :wink:

I doubt it will have anything to do wif em, but the trailers kinda suggest it might...

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 03:41:38 AM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Jerry Bruckenheimer produces so many movies that you get the good (Pirates, The Rock, Black Hawk Down, etc) with the shit (Armageddon, Kangaroo Jack, Pearl Harbor, etc).  In my book he averages out and I never know if I'm going to luck what he produced.  Then again you can usually tell by the director, and the same guy that directed The Mummy is doing National Treasure so prepare yourself accordingly.  Sure he makes lots of money, but so did Barney.

Hey, I liked the Mummy movies.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 12:09:08 PM »

It could be alright but I don't think the trailers do it any favors.  I am most concerned about the whole conspiracy angle.  There is a lot of interesting material about the whole Masonic Lodge tie to the Founding Fathers and I can see it getting dumbed down for a mass-market.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 01:20:23 PM »

It should be clear to everyone that this is a no-brain required thriller of sorts... like a low-rent Indiana Jones movie. That said, I think it could be entertaining, and I am probably gonna go see it in the theatres.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 01:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"

Well differentiating those movies is probably pretty simple beforehand.  I mean Kangaroo Jack, obviously not the same as Black Hawk Down.  So, when I see National Treasure, I also see Indiana-Jones-ish type adventure movie... something that seems a long time overdue.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2004, 06:48:41 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Jerry Bruckheimer is a good producer? If it pleases the court, I believe that I have six pieces of irrefutable evidence that proves beyond a resonable doubt that Jerry Bruckheimer consitently puts out shit for movies:

1). Kangaroo Jack (2003)
2).Pearl Harbor (2001)
3). Coyote Ugly (2000)
5). Armageddon (1998)
6). Con Air (1997)

I object your honor. Armageddon was a good movie with excellent special effects. I would like to have the movie removed from the list except for the part with Ben Affleck singing.  That can remain on the list. Ben Affleck was a little weak in the movie, but the rest of the cast more than supported him.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2004, 07:15:47 PM »

Quote from: "scubabbl"
Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

1). Kangaroo Jack (2003)
2).Pearl Harbor (2001)
3). Coyote Ugly (2000)
5). Armageddon (1998)
6). Con Air (1997)

I object your honor. Armageddon was a good movie with excellent special effects. I would like to have the movie removed from the list except for the part with Ben Affleck singing.  That can remain on the list. Ben Affleck was a little weak in the movie, but the rest of the cast more than supported him.

They had to, because he sure as hell wasn't acting. smile Bruce Willis was awesome though, and while I think the movie sucked ass in a big, big way, the Criterion DVD is worth hunting down because of the blooper reel. There are so many gut-busters in there (especially from Billy Bob) that it's terrific.

The extended cut, oddly enough, I think is a better movie. One thing I won't fault Michael Bay on - he gets good performances out of his actors pretty much every time.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2004, 10:14:40 PM »

Ohhh... I knew I recognized that chick in it from somewhere... it's helen of troy.  She ain't half bad.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2004, 10:24:20 PM »

Diane Kruger=Super Hot.

Armaggeddon=one of my favorite films. All around good time. Learn to love the popcorn people. Life is too short smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 05:45:36 PM »

Its even shorter if you eat too much popcorn.   :lol:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2004, 03:53:15 PM »

I won't argue that Armageddon was infinitely superior to Deep Impact which had zero impact on me. Both movies sucked, but Armageddon at least didn't pretend to be a high-concept flick while randomly blowing shit up. Plus it's got the "Astronaut Training" sequence which is frickin' hilarious. biggrin

I like treasure hunt movies, and while silly National Treasure doth seem, it's right up my alley in terms of entertainment. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »

The astronaut training sequence rawks!! Punctuated with such emotional flavor with the choral presentation of "leaving on a jetplane". High cinema baby, yeah!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »

A friend of mine from film school wrote this exact same script (treasure map on the dollar bill, clue in the $1 pyramid w/ all-seeing eye, mysterious treasure) a couple years ago. Unfortunately he wrote it on a small scale so he could potentially direct it as an indie feature. It was set entirely in NYC and involved the hot daughter of a notorious counterfeiter.

Anyway, suffice it to say he was in a great deal of mental anguish when he first saw the trailer for National Treasure. It's entirely possible he pitched it and somebody took it in a different direction and came up with this. Though I think it's more probable that it was just one of those ideas blowing in the wind that more than one writer grabbed simultaneously.

I think it looks like a fun concept and I hope it defies my expectations and turns out to be good. If the reviews are really good I'll catch it in the theater but I doubt that'll happen. It's more likely the reviews will be mediocre so I'll see it on DVD or cable. If they're abysmal, I'll take a pass.

<Movie snob powers ACTIVATE!>

Am I the only one who cringes when somebody announces "I go to the movies to be entertained!" No shit, we all do. But we also go to the movies to be amused, scared, moved, provoked, enlightened, thrilled, aroused, educated, challenged, and on and on and on. Why limit yourself to just ENTERTAINMENT? Why set the bar so low?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »

Oh I agree with you Rob. there is nothing to be gained for setting the bar too low, is there? My beef always comes up however, when people refuse understand the relative merits of, for example "popcorn" summer flicks.

No one could possibly claim that Armageddon is in the same classification of movie as...Citizen Kane or some such, but there is NO REASON whatsoever why the two movies should be compared in the same breath (I understand I am stretching the logical extent of this argument by using such, um, extreme examples). Anyways, today on CNN there was an article about the utility of film reviews and if we should even bother to read them-anyways, the gist of the article was that of course reviews were useful, but the reason many avoid them is because reviewers seem to think that the average movie-goer wants serious movies that are made to make an impact on people to be compared to pure action-entertainment-shock value summer action movies or some such. The comparisons are fallacious by nature and do little except advance the elitist attitutude of many reviewers and movie-goers. Let people enjoy fluff, whether it contains all of the emotions you mentioned:  "amused, scared, moved, provoked, enlightened, thrilled, aroused, educated, challenged" some of them, or just one.

I dont need to be told Armageddon is a stupid movie and will remain so no matter how hard I try to claim otherwise, but I LIKE IT. It is fun, entertaining, emotional, thrilling, provoking, and arousing-to me and 200million dollars worth of other fans. Feel free to insult the ease with which we are stimulated by silly movies, but not our choice to find our entertainment there.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2004, 06:35:11 PM »

Right. You'd never hear me saying summertime popcorn movies are beneath me cuz God knows I love all kinds of movies. It just doesn't seem necessary to essentially thumb your nose at "serious film" while professing your love for "popcorn fun".
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 06:43:27 PM »

Completely agreed Rob! Wow, this was an easy movie argument for us this time smile

I still think Moulin Rouge is the bane of all human existence though!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »

Me too! Practically unwatchable!
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2004, 07:06:42 PM »

So... checkin in on some of this stuff...  Now I am no historian but its one of those movies that balances inbetween truth and fiction (or so it seems).  And they throw the Knights Templar in there ... Anyone know the deal with them and their treasure?
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 09:44:54 PM »

Sorry for double posting and bringing back a dead thread.  But I thought you all might be interested since this turned into a Brockheimer war.  Some reviews leaked out today form some folks who have seen pre-screenings of National Treasure  and they described it as un-brockheimer-ish.  I guess the story is that its more of a treasure hunt or an "adult goonies".  Thats an interesting twist in the story.  If you care to check it out look no further:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18781
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2004, 09:27:40 AM »

I'm still hoping to find out what the freaking treasue is! Once I get thar out of the way, then I figure it'll be easy to guess if the movie is worth seeing or not.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 02:25:07 PM »

Well, I guess thats part of the draw.  I mean its Knight's Templar treasure, I believe they say "untold riches" and stuff like that so I am guessing its things of historical imprortance or gold and jewels.  I dunno...you got any guesses?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: