http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 03:47:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA Presses the "Cancel" button  (Read 787 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2005, 06:20:19 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050713/ap_on_sc/space_shuttle/nc:716;_ylt=AhQhfPAYmsIvY1pDfKAjzdd34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

A faulty fuel gauge on Discovery's external tank forced
NASA to call off Wednesday's launch of the first shuttle flight since the Columbia disaster 2 1/2 years ago. The space agency did not immediately set a new launch date.

The decision came with less than 2 1/2 hours left in the countdown, as the seven astronauts were almost done boarding the spacecraft. Up until then, rain and thunder over the launch site appeared to be the only obstacle to an on-time liftoff.

Yes, I think the fuel gauge might be an important part of this process...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 06:33:12 PM »

Goddamnit!! I am so sick of this shit. They have had 2.5 years!! Please get this right frown We must, must, must continue to travle to space frown I am so bummed out.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 06:42:11 PM »

Ive lost faith in NASA to do anything right. They've never launched without problems and now they've lost 2 shuttles. I think they should not be allowed to go back ...dare I say it...into high atmosphere.

We dont have a space program...you could call it a high atmosphere or low orbit program. The manned space flight area is all crap. The unmanned program has had its share of faults but compared the the manned side of NASA they are doing a stellar job so to speak.

The shuttle should have been retired at least 5 years ago. A more ambitious program with the moon and a lunar colony should have already happened and we should be stepping onto Mars already.

Nasa is a bumbling waste of money. It truly needs an entire makeover and rethinking of its future.

Thats hard for me to say because Ive always been in love with Nasa and space. But these days Nasa just scares me.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

I have more hope for the private sector to come up with novel means of space travel, what the X Prize sought to foster. Imagine what Bill Gates could do with his own aerospace engineering company.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 10:41:41 PM »

Microsoft's Aerospace program?

Shuttles would crash on a daily basis and people would accept it as the norm.

Any idiot with a script could reprogram a shuttle to take him to Ganymead instead of Ios.

Bill would would a moon base shaped like the MS logo that was clearly visible from Earth.

Tongue

Not to be negative with the commercialization of space, just being stupid.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:27:41 PM »

Imagine what Bill Gates could do with his own aerospace engineering company.

I already read Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:37:07 PM »

I don't get it.

And I didn't mean to suggest Gates specifically, just an individual with an interest in the future of space travel and an ample bank account to fund it. I'd do it, if I had a few hundred million dollars lying around.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 01:32:16 PM »

No surprise from me, but a little disappointed.  I understand though...in a piece of equipment with about a bazillion pieces of electronic gizmos, you're bound to have a few of them not working at 100% at launch time.  You also have to figure that after 2.5 years of people questioning their ability to put another shuttle into space, they're going to err on the side of extreme caution here.  NASA would be killed if they launched the shuttle with a bad fuel gauge and something went wrong.

I'd agree that the shuttle program should've been scrapped years ago and replaced with something newer and better, but it's not like NASA's budget is getting much bigger anymore.  New transports take funding, and it's really hard to do when everyone wants you to do things smaller, cheaper, and quicker.

Like Dafones, I think the future of spaceflight is probably in the private sector, once someone decides it's in their company's best interest to throw the money into it.  Private companies have the money to do it without half the beaurocracy that NASA has to deal with.

Anyone have any idea of when the updated launch will be?  Are they going to have to roll Discovery off the pad to fix this thing?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »

Bring back the Enterprise!! It's all been downhill since then!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: