http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 06:54:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My son is 6 today! here's what we got him....  (Read 2203 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2004, 06:02:55 PM »

Man, I wish I had me as a dad when I was a kid- I NEVER got stuff this cool:

Shockblast Transformer

Microman MasterForce (yes, all 4 of them)

first Spiderwick Chronicles book

a dragon poster

duh.

and finally, tomorrow night after I get paid, we are going to a local comic shop and let him pick out something (he wants some Godzilla toys)

:mrgreen:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 06:04:44 PM »

:shock:

Nice.  That's like 5 years worth of birthdays from when I was a kid. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 06:05:25 PM »

You guys rule!  I wish I would have gotten that sweet stuff when I was a kid.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:08:34 PM »

Cool gifts and all but holy frijole what you've described is like several birthdays & Christmases all rolled into one!

How does this work again?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 06:13:27 PM »

Man, this doesn't even scratch the surface of what he's going to have by saturday.  My wife's family not only likes to give a lot of gifts, they like to give you exactly what you want.

I always pick out the odd/ hard to find/ imported japanese stuff that he digs and no other kid in the world has even heard of (hence the microman figures- which he actually asked for btw)  He's just lucky he's got a game/toy geek dad who- doesn't buy for himself yet lives vicariously through him. Heck, we actually spent LESS on him this year than the last few.  He doesn't actually get too much throughout the year either- the occasional action figure or movie, but we usually save it up for the b-day and xmas.

We are throwing a party for him saturday as well.  the SpongeBob Moonwalk will be arriving by mid-morning....

Mike Dunn
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 06:23:38 PM »

My birthday isn't until June.  That gives us plenty of time to file those adoption papers.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 06:25:06 PM »

Can you be my Dad?

TheMissingLink on PSN
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 06:32:14 PM »

Those MicroMan figures look very similar to the MICRONAUT's of the late 1970's.

I know there was a GG'er who was a big collector of Micronaut toys...he has a website with the pic's...pretty cool old school toys.
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 06:33:47 PM »

I picked up some transformers for my son's birthday over the summer. MY GOD! I'd forgotten how devilishly complex those things are to transform.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 06:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Can you be my Dad?

Or at least my sugar daddy?

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 06:42:42 PM »

Quote from: "JSHAW"

I know there was a GG'er who was a big collector of Micronaut toys...he has a website with the pic's...pretty cool old school toys.

In Japan they were called MicroMen originally.  I used to have Biotron but that's it- they were insanely hard to find and my parents just didn't get it.

You know what's really cool?  Takara has a Godzilla line of Micromen coming out in December.  Not exactly sure how they're going to work that, but you better believe I'm going to be anxiously awaiting pics.

Mike Dunn
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 06:47:49 PM »

That would be me. And yes I have those figures above as well. They even have a MicroMan scalled batman which is cool.

Here is pics of my collection from about 4 years ago.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/micronaut/micronauts.htm

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 07:26:22 PM »

I'm digging that "Dragon Species" poster.  Where'd you find that?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 07:30:22 PM »

Would you believe....WalMart?

I was looking for a good SpongeBob poster, which they were out of, and found that.  it was a no-brainer.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 07:31:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

That would be me. And yes I have those figures above as well. They even have a MicroMan scalled batman which is cool.

Damn.  that's sweet!  I'll have to show your site to Griffin when I get home today, he loves the old-school stuff.

Mike Dunn
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 07:41:56 PM »

I was a huge micronauts fan. I had every comic from #1 until the series finished. I remember thinking that I only had 10 cents to spend and i had to decide between the brand new star wars comic and micronauts. Guess i made the wrong call  :rolleyes:

As far as kid bdays, my son just had his 4th, he got a remote control batmobile (that sucker is fast), an electric driving jeep, a swingset, a ton of smaller crap (spider man shooters, dolls, games, etc).  Plus we returned a ton of crap for a $250 gift card at Toysrus!! I ended up buying him 2 lightsabers so we can duel in the dark. (Hint to parents to be: little kids hit VERY LOW!!!)
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

Rob, those pics are awsome!! I remember that huge biotron, you could put other figures into his chest.  My favorite was Force Commander with the flying pack and Baron Karza! I haven't thought about Micronauts in....many years. Thanks.
GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 10:08:34 PM »

Micronauts were my thing as well.  Considering how reserved my parents were wrt expensive toys, I feel pretty lucky that I got:

and this was my favourite

Those wings came off and were little guns.  Whee!

This was my favourite guy.  Until he broke.  He toppled over and fell off the table.  Or I threw him against the wall in a fit of rage.  I forget.  Anyway....

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:57 PM »

here's a little interesting Microman/Tansformers history for you...

did you know that Takara's Microman/MicroChange toy line from the 70s-early 80s was the first predecessor to the Transformers?  in the early 1970s, Hasbro licensed its GI Joe action figure line to Takara, who then created their Combat Joe line of toys.  robot figures were very popular in japan at the time, so Takara next turned the 12" GI Joe toy mold into a transparent transforming cyborg toy line...they made the Combat Joe body out of clear plastic so you could see the cyborg parts inside (see it here).  those cyborg toys were then shrunk down so that it would be easier to sell playsets and vehicles for them...and Microman was born.  in the early 80s, the Microman series was revamped into robots that transformed into vehicles, and they created the MicroChange series of robots that turned into everyday objects (microscopes, cassettes, guns).  in 1984, the Microman toys made a circle back to the US when Hasbro licensed them (as well as the Diaclone toys, another spin-off series) and renamed them Transformers.  the original Megatron TF from '84 (Walther P38 handgun) was actually a Microchange first released in japan in 1980...Optimus Prime was originally released by Takara in '84 as part of their Diaclone line (named Battle Convoy).  once Hasbro had licensed the transforming toys from Takara, they worked with Marvel comics to create a backstory and names for all the characters...and the Transformers mythology was born.  when the Transformers became a hit in the US, Takara re-imported the toys (and cartoons) back to Japan, where they were hugely successful and brought an end to the already dying Microman series.  Microman disappeared until the late 90s, when they were resurrected by Takara for both their 20th and 25th anniversary.  now that the Transformers are becoming popular in the US and japan again, we're seeing more and more imports of the latest iteration of Microman.  pretty interesting story if you're much of a toy collector Cool

that said, i'm more of a TF fan...no Microman toys in my collection.  i think the highlight of my small collection is the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (Masterpiece Convoy in japan)...12" and 3.5 pounds of die-cast transforming goodness.  it's by far the coolest TF ever released and is definitely more of a collector's piece than a kid's toy due to its complexity, but it's an awesome addition to any toy collection.  the other great Transformers available now are the Alternator/Binaltech line...detailed replicas of real-world cars that are second only to 20th Anniversary Optimus for being the best TFs ever.

but i don't really know anything about Transformers toys...i'm 25 years old and don't play with that kiddy stuff anymore...paranoid

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 02:41:03 AM »

Green- I had that Microcruiser, but i totally forget about it for probably something like 15-20 years!!! Wow, i can't believe how that memory came back to me in a rush. The wings were guns that shot those rubber darts and the remote made it move around.

Thanks for bringing that childhood memory back. Next thing you know, teh wife will find me curled up in a fetal ball on the floor.

Oh wait, I had this guy as well.

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 02:46:31 AM »

Jesus I wish I were that kid!  smile  None of that stuff actually is real right?  smile  Things have changed a bit since I was a kid...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 03:45:48 AM »

"I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio."  - Rodney Dangerfield  biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: