http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new toy (and a chance to say "I told you so")...  (Read 7081 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

But you're forgetting the "Free car cleaning kit worth $143.97"!!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »

I got it for 675... so not too bad. It was only 50bux more than the upright.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2008, 01:23:42 AM

I got it for 675... so not too bad. It was only 50bux more than the upright.

Congratulations, but for myself, there are far many more things that I would spend $675 for than a vacuum...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »

A decent HEPA airfilter is half that; we had an ancient hoover. A rainbow in it's heyday was a modest $1400.

I can say I've noticed a significant difference in the home since getting it... and it's not because we're now eating no-name rather than Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 05:17:57 AM »

Hey Pete: you got a sexy maid in a short skirt to run that thing for ya?

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on August 26, 2008, 05:17:57 AM

Hey Pete: you got a sexy maid in a short skirt to run that thing for ya?

Dude. ------>  Fabulous

I am the sexy maid.  When you are as fabulous as I am it is rather difficult to find a maid that lives up to the standard that I set.  I'm too fabulous for a maid.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »

You haven't met the right maid.  My maid would clean circles around you.  True story.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »

Yeah, and pete would be standing there in his sequins cleaning outfit looking like a FAB-U-LOUS maypole.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 01, 2008, 12:33:03 AM

I had a similar (if not the exact same) Bissell.  I thought it was awesome till I figured I might as well try the Dyson since Costco was selling it and I could always return it if it did not live up to expectations.

The Dyson is still in my home 4 years later.  It pwned the ever loving crap out of the Bissell.  Nancy did several comparison tests and deemed the Dyson to be well worth the money.

gellar

It looks like the Dyson supporters will have an opportunity to say "I told you so." 

After about four months of hardcore use I've had my fill with the Bissell.  One issue I have with the vacuum is that when you're using the detail attachment the floor brush continues to spin.  So while you vacuum the couch the floor brush burns a mark into the carpet.   disgust

Another issue I have is that dust in Arizona is extremely fine and the vacuum canister no longer has a very good seal, allowing dust to escape while I try to suck it up.   disgust

Yet another issue I have is that the tube connecting to detail attachments pinches shut with suction.  The support coil inside came loose in one section and suction is severely limited when the tube pinches shut.   disgust

And one more issue I have is that it doesn't do a very good job at cleaning dog hair off of our couch.  It takes a great deal of effort to clean the couch, and our dogs aren't even allowed on the couch.   disgust

I could probably list a few more issues, but I am sure you get the point.  And so today my wife took our Bissell back to Lowe's and demanded a refund.  It wasn't until after she left that I realized she probably didn't empty the canister full of dog hair.   ninja Regardless, they happily took back our suck-ass vacuum and we took our store credit and purchased the Dyson DC17 Animal.

<<feel free to insert "I told you so" comments here>>

I haven't fired it up yet, but anything has to be better than the headaches I had with he Bissell.  I think part of the problem is that we vacuum a few times a week, and the Bissell just doesn't seem to have been able to handle the use.  I also didn't like how much hair and dirt got caught into nooks and crannies in the vacuum components.  It just wasn't "sturdy" enough to handle our needs.

And so once again I look forward to using my new toy:

At least now I finally have a vacuum fitting of my fabulousness.   Fabulous

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »

And I win.  Shocking.

gellar
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 20, 2008, 09:38:59 PM

And I win.  Shocking.

gellar

And humble about it.  Even more shocking.   icon_wink

I gave a more cost effective option a try, but as always, you get what you pay for. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »

Yeah like I said - I went through the same path.

gellar
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 20, 2008, 09:49:21 PM

Yeah like I said - I went through the same path.

gellar

And now having used it for a bit, wow.   icon_eek

Yep, you win.  Well, ultimately Dyson wins, but either way I'm now yet another convert. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 20, 2008, 09:30:35 PM

One issue I have with the vacuum is that when you're using the detail attachment the floor brush continues to spin. 

That's surprising because I have a different Bissell model, and as soon as you put the handle higher than about 85 degrees, it stops the brush. In addition, it has a separate power switch for the brush, so if you want to make sure it is off no matter what, you can do that too.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 20, 2008, 10:19:49 PM

One issue I have with the vacuum is that when you're using the detail attachment the floor brush continues to spin. 

That's surprising because I have a different Bissell model, and as soon as you put the handle higher than about 85 degrees, it stops the brush. In addition, it has a separate power switch for the brush, so if you want to make sure it is off no matter what, you can do that too.

Not on the pet model I had.  Regardless, I am thrilled with the results so far.  I can't believe how much crap was still in my carpet.   icon_eek

It runs smoothly, it's easy to move around the room, and it picks up everything.  Plus it works great on tile as well with a special small area attachment.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 20, 2008, 10:43:01 PM

Not on the pet model I had.  Regardless, I am thrilled with the results so far.  I can't believe how much crap was still in my carpet.   icon_eek

It runs smoothly, it's easy to move around the room, and it picks up everything.  Plus it works great on tile as well with a special small area attachment.

Yeah, the Dyson is an excellent machine.  We have an Animal (as posted above), and it's worth the money.

The way I see it, originally, your cheapness beat out your fabulousness.  That was disappointing.  But what is even more disappointing is you gave gellar the once in his a lifetime opportunity; the right to say he was right.   Gellar just gained 5 (more) insufferability points.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:53 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on December 21, 2008, 12:55:36 AM

But what is even more disappointing is you gave gellar the once in his a lifetime opportunity; the right to say he was right.   Gellar just gained 5 (more) insufferability points.

I was right about your Blackberry being a piece of shit.  That was the 5 points that maxed me out.  Pete cannot be blamed for anything.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 02:06:12 AM »

No I-told-ya-so's ... I was hoping the Bissell would have worked out for you. frown

I do however recommend getting the ball one if you're going upright. Test-driving it made me hate all other upright vacuums. Since I'm not some nancy-girl I would have gone with it rather than having a tailing cannister design, but the GF couldn't handle the uprights weight for long (our old one was a cannister too).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 20, 2008, 09:45:18 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 20, 2008, 09:38:59 PM

And I win.  Shocking.

gellar

And humble about it.  Even more shocking.   icon_wink

I gave a more cost effective option a try, but as always, you get what you pay for. 

I'd stay away from that absolute; you could find a ton of games at full price that suck ass harder than any Dyson product.

Head over to the Wii section.

/runs

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »

That's brings up a complaint I have about the Dyson. It sucks too hard. Seriously on an older carpet that's starting to fray a bit, it rips the damn thing apart.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2008, 01:30:56 AM »

Quote from: gellar on December 21, 2008, 02:02:53 AM

Quote from: Eightball on December 21, 2008, 12:55:36 AM

But what is even more disappointing is you gave gellar the once in his a lifetime opportunity; the right to say he was right.   Gellar just gained 5 (more) insufferability points.

I was right about your Blackberry being a piece of shit.  That was the 5 points that maxed me out.  Pete cannot be blamed for anything.

gellar

Actually, it's a pretty decent piece of hardware.  I just needed to get used to a touch screen (and I needed to switch the settings for the touch screen to increase the typing speed), so there was definitely a difference going from my 8830 to the Storm (whereas going from the 8830 to the Bold would have been easy).  Being able to manipulate a word document...in word...was pretty damn cool this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:33:07 AM by Eightball » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:46 AM »

Quote from: i said this earlier
for reference, the dyson 14 we have is so much better than the older bagless we had.  i would be interested to hear of such a bagless vac for that kind of money performing as well as a dyson.

this is my assessment too.  there is nothing as damning to a vacuum than running a dyson over what you just 'cleaned'. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2008, 02:50:49 AM »

The one thing I have to say is that Rainbows have the same suction power. They are a little less "convenient", but they are also fantastic machines.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2008, 04:43:24 AM »

Wow, vacuum cleaner erotica, I gotta throw in mine!  icon_razz

My trusty Bissell. I did look at the Dyson stuff, but if you read customer feedback online about it it's mostly negative, and stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond *never* let you use their discount coupons on the Dyson because of it's insane prices (they don't want you to save 20% on a $500 vacuum cleaner, it's bad business  icon_evil)

Dirt cup and filter after a recent run through my pet-hair ridden condo (have a cat). I have to rinse this nasty thing and the filter after every use, otherwise you just end up spraying crap into the air. Actually, the foam filter tends to look far more nasty, this is on a good day.  icon_lol

Supposedly this HEPA side filter catches stuff but I've never seen it look even remotely dirty. Perhaps it's merely a "placebo" filter?  icon_razz
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:45:13 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 01, 2008, 12:33:03 AM

I had a similar (if not the exact same) Bissell.  I thought it was awesome till I figured I might as well try the Dyson since Costco was selling it and I could always return it if it did not live up to expectations.

The Dyson is still in my home 4 years later.  It pwned the ever loving crap out of the Bissell.  Nancy did several comparison tests and deemed the Dyson to be well worth the money.

gellar

It looks like the Dyson supporters will have an opportunity to say "I told you so." 

After about four months of hardcore use I've had my fill with the Bissell.  One issue I have with the vacuum is that when you're using the detail attachment the floor brush continues to spin.  So while you vacuum the couch the floor brush burns a mark into the carpet.   disgust

Another issue I have is that dust in Arizona is extremely fine and the vacuum canister no longer has a very good seal, allowing dust to escape while I try to suck it up.   disgust

Yet another issue I have is that the tube connecting to detail attachments pinches shut with suction.  The support coil inside came loose in one section and suction is severely limited when the tube pinches shut.   disgust

And one more issue I have is that it doesn't do a very good job at cleaning dog hair off of our couch.  It takes a great deal of effort to clean the couch, and our dogs aren't even allowed on the couch.   disgust

I could probably list a few more issues, but I am sure you get the point.  And so today my wife took our Bissell back to Lowe's and demanded a refund.  It wasn't until after she left that I realized she probably didn't empty the canister full of dog hair.   ninja Regardless, they happily took back our suck-ass vacuum and we took our store credit and purchased the Dyson DC17 Animal.

<<feel free to insert "I told you so" comments here>>

I haven't fired it up yet, but anything has to be better than the headaches I had with he Bissell.  I think part of the problem is that we vacuum a few times a week, and the Bissell just doesn't seem to have been able to handle the use.  I also didn't like how much hair and dirt got caught into nooks and crannies in the vacuum components.  It just wasn't "sturdy" enough to handle our needs.

And so once again I look forward to using my new toy:

At least now I finally have a vacuum fitting of my fabulousness.   Fabulous

We have that vacuum. It is the shit.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 22, 2008, 02:45:46 AM

Quote from: i said this earlier
for reference, the dyson 14 we have is so much better than the older bagless we had.  i would be interested to hear of such a bagless vac for that kind of money performing as well as a dyson.

this is my assessment too.  there is nothing as damning to a vacuum than running a dyson over what you just 'cleaned'. 

+1 - love the Dyson we have.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2008, 05:07:54 AM »

I haven't vacuumed since I took the leaf blower to our floors in the fall. Twice a year I blow out the house, then give it a good vacuuming with our old Hoover canister vac.

If I had any carpets, though, I'd covet your suckbots.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

Ah, men discussing the best vacuum cleaner and how to use it.....

I must be on the wrong forum, pardon me................
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 21, 2008, 02:10:01 AM

That's brings up a complaint I have about the Dyson. It sucks too hard.

Man, I gotta get my penis into one of those things.

Did I say that out loud?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on December 23, 2008, 04:58:14 PM

if you are gonna talk vacuums, you gotta go all out.

/tim allen

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2008, 05:49:11 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on December 23, 2008, 04:58:14 PM

Damn and I was just about to start a thread extolling the virtues of my new gas range  crybaby
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 23, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Did I say that out loud?

I am guessing that would hurt....very badly.

retard
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:57 AM »

Wife and I just picked up the DC 25 Animal, it's the Ball version. Vacuumed the main carpet in the TV room, which had just been vac'd yesterday, and it pulled a bunch of stuff up. Very happy with the purchase. We saved $50 at Best Buy and I got my rewards points too.

Very impressed with the removable handle that doubles as an extension attachment.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »

Pete, all of this braggadocio about your cleaning habits.

We need some photo evidence.. inspire us heathens.

"Goonies never say die"
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on December 29, 2008, 07:30:13 PM

Pete, all of this braggadocio about your cleaning habits.

We need some photo evidence.. inspire us heathens.

Before and after photos, we also need graphs of dust/hair per square foot and how much it was reduce or changed based on each vacuum.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 24, 2008, 08:15:17 AM

Quote from: The Grue on December 23, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Did I say that out loud?

I am guessing that would hurt....very badly.

retard

can you say "de-gloving"

eek

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2011, 06:29:46 AM »

I have 3 dogs and seriously need to upgrade my vacuum (the one I'm using smells of burning pet hair now). The consensus is here seems to be the Dyson, I'm wondering what the take is on the ball version versus the standard. One of the more common complaints on the DC25 is the size of the canister, anybody who has either care to comment?

Here are the two I'm looking at:

DC25
or  DC28

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2011, 07:19:28 AM »

I'll throw my pron into the ring too.....

The Hoover Floormate SpinScrub for non carpeted floors. Works well.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

I ended up going with this:

the Eureka Pet Lover Oh!

it works great for the small amount of space I have to use it in, and it's really compact.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

Shortly after we moved into our new house (going on 2 years now), my wife and mom both got suckered into buying a Kirby Sentria:

disgust

On the upside, I have yet to see anything vacuum as well as it does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: