http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:38:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new music project....(New song posted 5-10)  (Read 1678 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »

So I kinda put together a new project around the end of November with some guys I'd played with before as well as some fellas who'd been in other local groups. I couldn't really pigeon-hole the sound, but I can say it's loud.  dude

The way the pieces came together was quite out of the blue, but we seemed to mix well right off the bat. We've banged out a few tunes and finally had a chance to get two of them recorded last week. The mix-down isn't quite where we want it, so they could use some pretty minor tweaking, but we think it's close enough to start sharing.

Anyways, we just set them up on our myspace page this morning, so take a listen and tell me how you feel about it. I'm cool with honest opinions, as it could only help us improve.

Fight In Vegas

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:32:11 PM by Booner » Logged
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »

On it.

BRB.

Pantera anyone? I'm 5 seconds in (After the Storm) and that's what comes to mind. But that's a good thing. Then again, my knowledge of this kind of hard rock is slim to none these days. Here are my diarrhea of the mouth comments:

I dig the band name. Good call!

Ok, what I really like is that it's PRO. Most junk on MS these days is so amateur that it's laughable. This song is heavy, you can hear everything, stuff is in tune, the musicians clearly know what they're doing, the vocals are tight and overall, it's a killer rock tune.

And I have just hit the bridge. A bass solo? Where's the SKIP button?  icon_wink

Ok, back to the chorus. On go the headphones so I can hear better. THe high end sounds a little crisp but I'll chalk that up to the Internet.

Overall? Dig it. Great everything. You should be proud.

Onto song 2. Not a fan of the electric drum thing, but then the full band kicks in and PUNCHES ME IN THE BALLS. Can I have another, sir? headbang

I'm getting a Layne Staley vibe on this verse. Not my thing, but getting into the chorus when he's singing, it improves. Kind of like a Sebastian BAch with balls. Or hair on said balls. The guy can sing, that's for sure.

Second verse, I hear some meandering basslines and that's cool, but BRING THAT SHIT UP SOME, SON! The bottom is there, but I need to hear it more!

Guitar solo: it's good, but nothing stands out. Dig the drums/bass thing going on. Nice ride cymbal work. Not a huge fan of the Elvis mic/megaphone thing.

Back to the chorus. Thought I picked up a double-time thing on the drums towards the end. Thought that might have been cool, but it wasn't to be.

Overall? Awesome! Though heavy rock isn't my thing so much, what you have here is quite good IMO. I could hear it on our rock station up here, but since most of my listening is done via mp3 player, I wouldn't hear it!

Congrats on this project. As I said, you should be proud!

As an aside (spoilerized to keep from thread hijacking):

Spoiler for Hiden:
I recorded the best stuff of my "career" in June of 08. That stuff has yet to see the light of day. The way my band manages things, it could be another year or so before it comes out. crybaby

Anyway, I hope the comments are valuable to you. THey are pretty random, but I typed it up as I listened, so take it with a grain of salt!

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

THe high end sounds a little crisp but I'll chalk that up to the Internet.

Ah ha! I think it's bright too, so it's just not me!  icon_lol

We may have scooped the mids a bit too much in the final pass. Where you were mentioning a wandering line in the second song...yeah, it's really busy through both the verses but it really got squashed down a bit much. The booth mix retained 'my' tone a bit better and it cut through pretty good, but without the low mids...I damn near get lost in the mix. I know what to listen for, so I don't know if it's coming through as it should.

Dig the drums/bass thing going on. Nice ride cymbal work.

Thanks. I really enjoy playing with our drummer. He does a bunch of subtle stuff that I can really lock into. His double-bass work is sick, as is his overall playing, but he really has a good feel on how to stay busy and interesting without being overbearing.

He gave me such a fit when writing the verses for After the Storm because there is alot going on between the guitars (they're playing two completely different parts), then he's playing a beat somewhere in the middle...it took me two weeks to come up with something that would work....and it ended up being a rip of a hip-hop/R&B bassline.  ninja

Other that being too bright, and me being kinda buried (no love for bassists Tongue), do you think the vocals sit on top of the mix too much? Sometimes they don't feel glued into the rest of the sound quite right. I'm just not sure if it's due to volume or maybe because of the high-end.

Gonna have to give it a week of listening and bring any mix issues back to our producer and see how he feels about it.

Congrats on this project. As I said, you should be proud!

Thanks a bunch...I'm pretty pleased with it, especially considering these were the first two we put together and they were done withing a month. Another thing is that we have a great atmosphere to work in...a basic little studio, an in house engineer/producer, and a bunch of laid back guys to work with...no egos! thumbsup

Anyways, thanks for the listen and comments.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:28:02 PM by Booner » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »

Gotta say, I like both songs.  As mentioned the first song has a Pantera vibe and I think the second one has a Godsmack vibe.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »

Good drummer... sounds like you guys spent some money recording... if you didn't, even better...

I dig the name.

Good job!

I agree that the bass could be brought up, maybe the cymbals down...
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

Gotta say, I like both songs.

Thanks a ton!

Good drummer... sounds like you guys spent some money recording... if you didn't, even better...

Best thing about the drummer....he's a super humble player who truly has no idea how good he is. He'll tell me how my playing makes his drumming sound better, while I'm slack-jawed and fighting to lock in with him.  icon_lol

As far as recording cost...zilch.  One guitarist owns the building and let's the producer/engineer use the studio half for the cost of recording his projects for rent. The guy recording/producing is a 22 year old wiz-kid who has fairly basic gear in the studio, but has great ideas and a great ear. We let him be as open as he can with us as far as what he liked and didn't like, and almost any idea or suggestion he threw at us ended up working really well. If we didn't quite get it, he could pick up any instrument and play it for us...or sing it. He's nearly as good as any of us on any instrument.  icon_redface

It's been a boon to have him around.

If he had his own 'serious' studio, I'd be willing to bet he could have recordings sound as good as anything else out there. He's starting to get a nice reputation at 22, so I believe he's got a bright future in music.

I dig the name.

Hehe..I was iffy as hell on the name, but it seems to get a overwhelmingly positive reaction, so I can't fight that battle any more....no back up!  paranoid
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »

Holy moly this shit rocks!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on January 21, 2010, 07:35:51 AM

Pantera anyone? I'm 5 seconds in (After the Storm) and that's what comes to mind. But that's a good thing. Then again, my knowledge of this kind of hard rock is slim to none these days. Here are my diarrhea of the mouth comments:

This sounds like my kind of music. Can't get to myspace though. Any chance it's hosted anywhere else?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »

Sparhawk!!!!  icon_lol I'm glad you like it...it's comments like that that really make my day. thumbsup

Coop...is Myspace blocked for you? We have our facebook page, twitter, and official website in the works, but not a one of them is ready yet. I might be able to get them to you via .wav or .mp3, I'll PM you later for an e-mail addy if i can.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »

It's blocked at work. I can get to facebook but most everything else that's useful is blocked. I guess I can wait until I get home. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »

Awesome!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »

I'm listening to the first song right now.  Fucking killer!   headbang headbang3 headbang headbang3 headbang headbang3 headbang headbang3 headbang headbang3 headbang
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:42 AM »

Man, I'm really impressed Booner. I hit the link expecting another ho-hum amateur demo tape, and instead I got two kick-ass songs that sounded like they could have come straight off the radio. I definitely picked up on the Pantera/Godsmack vibe but like the others here I say take that as a huge compliment since I love both bands. It's really rare for me to hear a song one time and have it click, but both those songs I instantly knew I liked.  dude
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »

I could easily see these being played on my local radio station.  I'm not a hard core rock fan, but I do partake on occasion, and these songs definitely would make me keep it on that station.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »

Thanks again for the listens and comments.

We're hoping to everything ready for some light touring by the fall in the southeast. We have both a great lighting tech and sound man on board...and we're a bunch of energetic players, so it should make for a damn fun show.

If things end up the way we're hoping it will, you'll have to come see a show! biggrin
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »

Finally got to listen to both tracks and they are right up my alley as expected. I'm way too old to go to a live show for this kind of music, though. The last time I went to a Nine Inch Nails concert I left early to beat the traffic.  icon_confused Let me know when I can buy the mp3 album. biggrin

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 03:04:52 AM »

Awesome!
I have been trying to get together some of my musically inclined friends lately, in the summer I'm wanting to make a "Darren & friends" album.
I have been getting more interested in the production side of things as of lately and have been building a home studio, a very shitty one. But hey it works.

Anyways, I'm glad to see other GTers into the music scene.
I think both songs are pretty awesome. And I hope to hear you guys on the radio some day!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

First off...we're up to a grand total of 5 songs now! We haven't tracked the three newest ones yet because we've been trying to get ourselves ready for our public performance...which would be next Tuesday night at the Jillian's Local's Live competition in Columbia, S.C. Getting the set 'show-ready' has been exhausting...three intense rehearsals a week over the past three weeks, plus practice at home, all for a mere half-hours worth of material...jeez.

If anyone is in the area, please come on out. Hell...come up and introduce yourself to me, I'll be the lanky fella playing the bass in the only 'rock' act that night. We're going up against a couple of college acoustic acts and in a college town...well...we may be a tough sell. We'd like to at least get through the first round, but if not...we wouldn't be shocked. smile

We also have a show coming up on April 17th at the rock/metal fest at Hard Knox in Cayce, S.C. We're kinda figuring this will be our first chance to expose ourselves to a crowd that will 'get it'. We're trying to get a middle slot on the itinerary, but we're not sure yet. We're hoping that once the guy running it gets a listen next Tuesday, that we'll have a bit more influence on our position. Not too early, not too late. The promoter does a fair job at getting other local acts some nice regional gigs, so we hope to impress. It would be fantastic to get back to opening for some national acts...it's been a long time since I've played for a good sized crowd.

After next weeks show, we're going to start tracking a couple more songs, so I should have some new stuff to share pretty soon. One of them will be a bit mellower for lack of a better description, laid back clean verses, but with a big powerful chorus. Then the other is a dark and brooding thing...a few layers of stuff going on that's pretty cool sounding as a whole.

Anyways...things are starting to move along, and I'm pretty pleased. thumbsup

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »

Good for you. Enjoy the shows.

I 'miss/do not miss at all' my gigging days. I can't imagine practicing two nights a week and gigging sometimes 3 shows on a weekend anymore. I'm 38 years old with a sixth month old daughter. I would be dead in a month, either from exhaustion or my wife murdering me for being gone all the time. I still play music at home quite regularly and hope to be in a casual group again someday but that is a little ways down the road.

Kick those college kids asses.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 03, 2010, 03:49:45 PM

I 'miss/do not miss at all' my gigging days. I can't imagine practicing two nights a week and gigging sometimes 3 shows on a weekend anymore. I'm 38 years old with a sixth month old daughter. I would be dead in a month, either from exhaustion or my wife murdering me for being gone all the time.

Hehe. I'm 38...but I do have the advantage/luxury of being childless and single.

I wonder if there is any correlation?  icon_lol
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »

Pfff, pussies!  slywink
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 04, 2010, 04:42:38 PM

Pfff, pussies!  slywink

2 kids, 2 bands (3 if you count
Spoiler for Hiden:
church
) for me.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Booner on March 03, 2010, 03:18:19 PM

we've been trying to get ourselves ready for our public performance...which would be next Tuesday night at the Jillian's Local's Live competition in Columbia, S.C.

12ish years ago I lived just across the river from there. It'd be a hell of a drive today. Let me know when you get to Dallas. slywink

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »

Ack!!! I have a case of the nerves!!!!   icon_eek

I was just sitting here setting up my basses, changing my batteries out, etc....and a sudden wave of anxiety has hit me. I don't get it, I've been itching to go for days now, and the willie nillies comes on now, a couple hours before showtime?

It looks like it's time for a couple cups of java chased by a couple of stiff drinks. retard

There should be quite a few photographers out there tonight...so I should be able to post up some images in the next day or so. I'll be the one who looks like a deer in headlights.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »

Sounds good, reminds me of CoC/Down. Philip with a dash of Pepper  nod and then combine that with Sevendust.

Good luck to you guys!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 02:19:31 AM »

Count me among the impressed. Not thrilled with the vocals (sounds like the guy is pressing too hard to me, maybe to sound like someone else...) but very tight as already said. Good luck with the performance!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 10, 2010, 02:19:31 AM

(sounds like the guy is pressing too hard to me, maybe to sound like someone else...)

Right on, I've been kinda nudging him on this lately. His natural timber is fine and absolutely sounds his best when he opens up and 'sings' it instead of choking it off....it doesn't make the note any lower, it just makes it sound unnatural. Just have to be easy on egos... smile

Anyways...we came out, did what we do and surprisingly ended up pulling off a win. We were not at our best and have played the set much much tighter in the past...the stage sound was horrendous, so locking in good was damn near impossible, and then my strap-lock popped out twice leaving me to play kneeling through almost two entire songs. Grrrrrrr! That really took the fun out of it for me.

But...it was good to get out and play in public, and we did get a good reception for a small crowd on a Tuesday night. Yet, we really need to get it even tighter if we want to keep advancing.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »

So we've played a couple more shows in the last month and have been getting a great response from the attendees. The show on the 17th went over really well. We came out super-pumped about our performance that night, it was damn near flawless musically (which is friggin' rare) as well as pretty energetic. Post show tequila shots were in order! drool

Due to the few shows we've played so far, and what I'm assuming is word of mouth....we've been garnering tons of unsolicited offers to play from upper Florida up to Virginia. Not gonna do it yet! First off, we're going to need more than 30 minutes of material to play, secondly...we really need to figure out a business plan for this thing if we want to see if this beast will do anything.

Merchandising is a must nowadays. Management? Bleck! Part of me hates dealing with that stuff, but there is no way any of us wants to go for a 6 hour drive to play for an unknown cut of the door...so I suppose management or booking agents may become a necessary evil. Press-kits, A&R folks, contracts, etc.  thumbsdown

We're going to take the next 8 weeks off of gigging and really focus on busting out a few new tunes, then start looking at booking weekends out of town.

Anyways, since you guys were had some fair criticisms/opinions on the first two songs we put out there, please take a listen to the newest one we posted today..."Better Off" and tell me how you feel about it. This one was the 'dark and brooding' I'd mentioned last month...though it it's been tweaked to be less droning and a bit more uptempo.

It comes across great live, but I have some honest concerns about this mix-down, so I'd really like to know how it comes across to an outside ear.

The 'mellower' song we tracked seems to have turned out much better than expected...but we don't plan to post it for a couple weeks. We'll let everyone get sick of this one first. smile

Thanks for the listen!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:16:43 PM by Booner » Logged
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »

Guitars and vocals sound great and the song sounds really solid.  My playback here at work doesn't have the low freqs to get an honest listen of the bass but something needs to be done to give some life to that snare drum.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »

Thoughts off the top of head

Intro guitar: meh
Full band in: cool
Vocals: cool
Production value: excellent

AM radio drums: cliched but cool
Elvis mic vocal effect: too quiet

I think I said this before, but this isn't my style of music preference. However, knowing what gets played here on local rock radio, this band and sound would totally fit in.

Engineering nitpick (from one bassist to another): I hear lots of bottom end, however I do not hear any bass guitar definition. I can tell you're playing something cool in the verses, but I cannot hear it (keeping in mind I do not have headphones at my disposal right now). With my little monitor speakers (which are pretty decent), I should be able to hear some bass definition.

Just getting your back! Well done! You should be proud. And I agree about JJ's take on the snare. A little weak.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:14 AM »

It sounds expensive... I am the wrong person to comment since my tastes run a lot more raw in production and style, but it definitely sounds like it would be on the radio... maybe if you can convince them to not clamp down on the guitars so hard with the compressor/gate...
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:21 AM »

THIS SHIT STILL FUCKING ROCKS!

No offense but we're not listening to Mozart of Franz Liszt here, it's a fucking rock band. They play to rock a crowd not earn points in some musical elitist book.

If it makes you move your body then wtf it's good...

Keep on rocking Booner and tell your band to come to Lawrence or Kansas City sometime.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »

No offense but we're not listening to Mozart of Franz Liszt here, it's a fucking rock band. They play to rock a crowd not earn points in some musical elitist book.

It's cool Sparhawk...we're musicians...we're all a bit elitist.  I really do want exactly the kind of feedback I'm getting...and it's main reason I post it, the other being shameless self promotion. icon_lol

Not everyone will like it...that's just the way it is, but it's great to know some do. Thanks!

Intro guitar: meh
AM radio drums: cliched but cool
Elvis mic vocal effect: too quiet

I didn't really catch the snare, but yeah guys...it does sound a bit flat. That thing cuts like crazy too...you'll damn near blink every time it pops.

As far as the bass tone...I don't know what's going on there because the track was super growly with lots of definition. We spent almost 2 hours getting the tone I want, but once again it's get buried in the mix-down. I need to get him to really boost the hell out of the mids on my track before squashing the final mix. It may give me some life back.

Not digging the way the intro turned out either...it was originally written like the space between the 1st chorus and 2nd verse, the clean-ish guitar, plus the volume swell from the intro, minus the drums completely. It feels too long and bland now.

Too much Elvis IMO...too wet and too far back in the mix.

I am the wrong person to comment since my tastes run a lot more raw in production and style, but it definitely sounds like it would be on the radio... maybe if you can convince them to not clamp down on the guitars so hard with the compressor/gate...

I would have never guess you'd like it raw... paranoid

I agree with ya though...it may be getting slicked up too much and losing some of it's edge. This tune in particular is a real ball buster live, but it comes across a bit castrated here. I'm just not versed enough in production to know how to get it to sound 'radio' quality while still keeping the 'live' energy, so I have no way to guide our pop loving producer in the direction I'd like. Though I'm only one of 5 guys with an opinion on the matter.

All I can say is that when it comes time to re-master all these tunes as an EP release later in the year...producer wunderkind is going to hate me hovering over he shoulders. Don't get me me wrong, I still appreciate that he's putting in all this work for us on his spare time, but I'm a picky basstard. I'd like it to retain some of the live feel.

P.S. I'll be ordering that Borzaya Tee over the weekend. Moscow and Black Skies are still kicking my ass. headbang3
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »

Yeah, I'd just ask him to back off on the compression a bit on the guitar tracks.

The intro riff is *sort* of like the intro riff to the title track from the new High on Fire album, Snakes for the Divine...

I'll throw a demo of everything we have in with your T.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »

Much obliged. I've already turned a couple folks onto it through myspace, but a CD would be cool.

I like your Borzaya stuff because it sounds like early Mastodon, but with a Sabbath sense of melody.  nod
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »

Did I tell you color options? Olive w/ black and Black w/ white...
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »

Yep....likely going with the Olive. I need a tee that's something other than black or grey.  icon_cool
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 12:38:22 AM »

I'm no music expert so I couldn't tell you what a bad bass mix was from a great bass mix. All I know is these songs still kick ass.  icon_biggrin
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »

Thanks YK! You'll have to drag your ass out of the house to see us if we ever make it up that way, which just may happen sometime by the fall. smile

Also...if anyone is curious or a newer player wanting to learn something pretty simple...here's how I'm hacking away on a couple of the tunes. I've tried to note as many slides, hammer-ons/pull-offs, etc. as a could think of. I tend to pluck almost everything and honestly don't pay attention to what my right hand does, so there may be some technique mistakes in here.

This is what happens when I end up with tons of downtime at my office. disgust

B standard tuning.

Better off is complete pie. I really just lock in with the kick through the verses and outline the chords, while follow the 6 stringers through the rest. The first half of the bridge incorporates parts of the pre-chorus, but it's self- explanatory when you hear it.

Intro:                      Verse:
|--------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------|--------------4----------------------------------------|
|--------------------|----------------3---------7----------------------------|
|x 4-5-5-5--4-5-5-5-|--0h2-2-x-2-x-----0h2-x-5----0-2--x-4-5-5-5--4-5-5-5-|

Pre-Chorus:
|-----------------------------------------|--------------------|
|-----------------------------------------|--------------------|
|--------------2--------------------------|----------------7--|
|--/3-2-0--/3----0-----------------------|--/3-2-0--/3-2/7----|
|----------------------2-2-----2-2---2-2-|--------------------|

Chorus:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------2-2-2-2--------------------------|
|--------------------5-5-5-5---3h5-----------5\-3-2-0--3-2-0--3-----|
|-(2)-2-2-2--x-5-3-----------------------------------------------(2)--|

Bridge:
|----------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------5----------|
|-2-2-3-2-2---2-3-2-5\---2-2-5-2-3----2---2--5-3\--|

Pretender I keep pretty busy on. It's not really that hard, just active. I sometimes throw in a few baby variations through the verse, but this is how it was recorded. The verse is just hammering away on 8th notes up to the last little slide before the chorus.

Intro : Chorus
|----------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0---|
|-6p0--6p0--6p0--6p0--6-0-1-0-3-3-3-1h3---------------|

|-----------------------------------------------------|
|-6p0--6p0--6p0--6p0--6-0-1-0-3-3-3-x-2-2-2-2-2--|

|--------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0--|
|-6p0--6p0--6p0--6p0--6-0-1-0-3-3-3-1h3-------------|

|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------4-4-4-4-4--|
|-----------------------------------------2h3--------------|
|-6p0--6p0--6p0--6p0--6-0-1-0-3-3-x----------------------|

Verse:
|--------------------------------------------|
|---------------------9-7-----9-7-----------|
|-/7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-------10------10--9-7\--|

|----------------------------------------|
|-----------7-5-------------------------|
|-5-5-5-5-------7-5-0-0-0-0------------|
|-----------------------------3-3-3-3---|

|------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------7---------|
|-----------------------7-7-9-9---9-------|
|-7-7-7-7---------------------------10-7\-|
|------------0-0-0-0----------------------|

|-----------7-5-------------------------|
|-5-5-5-5-------7-5-0-0-0-0------------|
|-----------------------------3-3-3-3---|

|---------------------------------------|
|-7-7-7-7-------------7-7-7-7----------|
|-----------0-0-0-0-0---------0-0-0-0--|

|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---------------------|
|---------------------5-5-5-5-3-3-3-3---|

|----------------------------------------------|
|-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-----------------2-5-5-5-5--|
|--------------------0-0-2-2-3-3-5------------|

|-----------------------------|
|-2p0-------------------------|
|------2p0--------------------|
|------------0-0-0-0-x/7-7~--|
|-----------------------------|

Bridge : Solo
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------2p0------------------------------------|
|--------5-------------3/5--------2p0-------------------------------|
|----/7----7p5-0-----------------------0-0 -------------------------|
|-0-----------------3-----------------------0-2-3-3-3-5-3-3-x-3h5\-|

|---------7h9p7h9-7\-5-/5-5-5-------------------------------------|
|----/7------------------------ 5-------------------------------(7)-|
|-0------------------------------3/-2-2-2-2x-3-5-5-3h5-5p3-0-----|

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

Alrighty...we've uploaded the mellower tune. "Bad Sign". It's not my personal favorite, but it comes across with a bit more overall punch than I expected, yet I still feel it's a bit weak in spots and could use a little extra 'something'. It's a bit late to add any substantial parts, but we might could beef it up during a future remaster with a bit of studio trickery.

It's definitely a radio song and it's the last one we've tracked. Scott is singing closer to his natural voice in this one, he's still choking off some of his vowels, but it's much cleaner than usual. I can hear subtle hints of my bass tone in this one, but it's still way too scooped after the mastering, thus cutting out all my nice grindy mids. Clean guitars are too wet, so they sound a bit thin. Snare, high-hat, and cymbals are a bit low in the mix. Other than those complaints....I think it turned out alright.

We have one more song that is 100% finished that hasn't been recorded. It's a very angry, raw, heavy thing that'll be tracked with the batch of songs we're working up now. We have two new ones that are pretty much written and just need the little things polished up, one is similar to Bad Sign (a bit stronger IMO) and one is straight forward with a bit of a punk undertone at times. Then there is another that has a skeleton and just needs some arrangement before a melody starts to take shape...I'm not sure what it's going to end up like.

Damn if song-writing can't be a royal pain in the ass though...the process can flat suck, but it's nice when it finally turns into something you can play from front to back.

Anyways....I guess I won't have any new songs to add for a while. 'tarded!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: