http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:16:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new late and great obsession: Hayao Miyazaki films  (Read 982 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »

I had a friend at school that was from Korea.  There she purchased this huge box set of all of the Hayao Miyazaki films.  I was always sorta interested in watching movies like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, so I borrowed the box set from her.

Unfortunately, I was unable to really watch any of these except for My Neighbor Totoro, which was an extremely charming and enjoyable film.

So fast forward several months from then and now I'm hooked on Miyazaki's films.  I thought Spirited Away was such a great film.  I also really enjoyed NausicaA of the Valley of the Wind and thought Patrick Stewart did a really nice job on the English dub.  Howl's Moving Castle was just awesome as well, with a great story and fantastic animation.

So I ordered those awhile ago and just received this Studio Ghibli Museum of Hayao Mayazaki films (SEVEN of them!   :shock: ) yesterday, so I'm fully ready to get watching and enjoying these masterpieces when I'm not so busy with work.

Anyone else like Hayao Miyazaki films?  Any recommendations?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »

Hayao Miyazaki is everything that is right about animated feature films.  He's an amazing storyteller.  I don't have any recommendations other than keep watching them.  I haven't seen Howl's yet but I plan too.  I wasn't too big on Nausica but I love everything else that he and Studio Ghibli's done.

Kiki's Delivery Service is fun.  Graveyard of the Fireflies is also awesome if you can stand the emotional toll it takes from you.  I've never been able to sit through it.  It's way too depressing.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Hayao Miyazaki is everything that is right about animated feature films.  He's an amazing storyteller.

Yeah, that's what I've been loving with these films.  He really is an amazing storyteller.

Both of those movies are in that collection I recieved yesterday, so that's good news   biggrin

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:50 PM »

I love Miyazaki.  He has that tough of the older anime style with the sort of over exagerated features, but not to over the top.  The music, the themes, the story are all done well.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »

I think that collection you bought is a Korean pirated issue, you may want to check on that.

Definitely check out Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Porco Rosso.  In fact, there really isn't a dud in the bunch.  I'm also pleased with the Disney american reissues for the most part.  Good think they got John Lasseter to sheperd those along for american audiences...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:56:42 PM »

A month or two ago when they finally released the widescreen version of Totoro on DVD I was like a giggling schoolgirl.  It's one of my top 4 or 5 movies.  I watched it that night with my three boys (6, 8 & 10) and they were enthralled.

I love all the detail he puts into his movies - they are all so warm and coherent.  After I watched them for awhile I noticed that almost every one has a strong female protagonist and has scenes of flying.  I just love that about his movies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:48:17 AM »

Just for reference, before I decided to purchase this "set" of mine I checked on Amazon.  They have it listed here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7TTJQ/qid=1144381351/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-2743736-9376861?n=130

So I was thinking . . . Amazon wouldn't list a pirated copy of something, would they?

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 04:19:27 AM »

Miyazaki is an animation genius. Every one of his films is a classic. I've been waiting for Totoro on DVD done right for so long and when it FINALLY came out recently, it was one of those DVD "holy grail" moments for me. My 2 year old daughter watches it every day and just loves it. I am so glad and grateful that Disney, treated each Miyazaki movie with respect and care on each release. I usually prefer the original Japanese audio with English subtitles, but the English dub cast work on each Disney release has been really well done. On Totoro, Dakota Fanning's sister was perfectly cast as Mai. Just fantastic voice work. Without John Lassiter's fanboy admiration of Miyazaki, I doubt Disney would have put the effort to do these movies right on DVD.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »

You do realize that two months ago, Miyazaki films were running on Turner Classic Movies, right?  I think they covered most of them.  I dvr'd Tortoro, but I have yet to watch it.  Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart were recorded by my dvr, but sadly, they were erased before I had a chance to watch them. :?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 06:35:50 PM »

depward, are you watching the English dub?  If so, SHAME ON YOU!   :twisted:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »

While I was providing some training in Osaka Japan I heard about a Ghibli store in one of the underground malls near my hotel. After searching for a few nights I finally found it.

Although I was tempted to purchase a few Totoros I didn't have the room so just got a Ghibli character keychain collection and some Mononoke playing cards.

Edit: I'll figure this image thing out yet!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: