http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 12:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My kitty is dying [Update: He's gone :( ]  (Read 1990 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:52:17 AM »

Buddah is about 9 1/2 years old.  Last year, he became very lethargic about a month after he received his vaccinations.  The vets couldn't figure out what was wrong with him, and as a last resort they suggested hospitalizing him for a couple nights and pumping him full of fluids.  That seemed to work pretty well, and he got back to normal in a couple weeks.

Fast forward to this year.  He got his vaccinations back in April, and again started having problems about a month later.  The vet thought it might have something to do with the shots, so we tried hospitalizing him again.  This time, it only made him better for a couple weeks.  Took him back in for tests and his kidney levels came back very high, which basically means his kidneys are failing.   We put him on some special food, but it's not making much of a difference.  The vet said the best thing to do would be a complete "system flush" (hospitalize for 3 days, constant IV, some drugs, etc.), but there's no guarantee this would make any difference.  He said it might give him a few more months, but at this point we'd just be prolonging the inevitable.  Not to mention the fact that it would be another $600 (on top of the $600 I've already spent since May), which I simply don't have. 

Just by the way he looks at you, you can tell he doesn't feel good.  He is barely eating anything at all (we used to not be able to turn our backs on him for 30 seconds because he'd snatch food right off a plate).  He won't run or play, and won't do much except hunker down on something soft.  He was always a lap cat, but now he doesn't even have the energy to jump up.   He's the complete opposite of the cat he was, and it just kills me to see it.  Mrs. Gratch and I had the talk tonight, and it looks like unless a miracle happens in the next few days, we'll probably have to put him down this week.   If that's the case, i'm really, really going to miss this little dude.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I seem to have something in my eye...   icon_cry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:27:06 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:09:36 AM »

I've been there before and there is nothing can be said to make it better.  Just know that you have my thoughts and prayers and so does Buddah.  Think about the good times and the love.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:15:36 AM »

Our thoughts with you. Its a terrible thing in life. I suppose its better than us dyingand leaving out little guys behind with no one to care for them frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:15:45 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear that man.  I hope everything works out.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:34 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 30, 2008, 02:52:17 AM

As do I. And I dislike cats. I'll think a couple extra good thoughts for you. icon_cry

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:44:11 AM »

Man that sucks. The GF had 3 cats; now they're ours. All of them have 1 paw in the grave (one is 16+, one is 13 with Upper respitory disease, the other one is 7 and has crystals; he's on special meds and food which have had him last longer than the vet's prediction).

I don't know how I'm going to handle it it when they go, but I know it's going to be one of the harder things in life to deal with. My thoughts go out to you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on June 30, 2008, 03:28:34 AM

Quote from: Gratch on June 30, 2008, 02:52:17 AM

As do I. And I dislike cats. I'll think a couple extra good thoughts for you. icon_cry

+1.  I've had to be in your shoes twice and it never gets easier, but it comes down to their quality of live versus your need to keep them.  the right choice can always be the hardest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

My sincere sympathies.  We lost our beloved rabbit a month ago tomorrow.  He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and hung on (with meds) for two months.  He died in my arms on the morning of June 1st.  It still hurts...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »

Well, not quite gone yet, but we have appointment at the vet in 2 hours to put him down.  He's gotten so weak that he can't do anything at all.  This was the first time in over 9 years that I didn't get greeted at the door when I got home.  I'm typically a rather emotionless robot about most things, but I'd be lying if I told you I haven't spent the last hour bawling my eyes out.  I think it's toughest because this is the first one of my pets I've had to put down.  Sure, we lost some cats as I was growing up, but they were always mom & dad's pets, not mine.  Mrs. Gratch and I picked out Buddah as soon as we moved into our first apartment.  We've always joked that he was a dog trapped in a cat's body, right down to playing fetch and begging on his hind feet for table scraps.  If anyone came into the house, he was flat in is back their lap within 5 minutes, regardless of whether or not they liked cats.  He made it his life's mission to make friends with my grandma - who feels about cats how most people feel about snakes - and she even admitted that he "wasn't bad...for a cat".   It'll be tough to get to sleep tonight without him nesting down between my feet on his favorite blanket.  Even though I have 2 other cats and a dog, this house is going to seem so much quieter.

This probably seems very "crazy cat lady"-ish, but this whole thing has hit me far harder than I ever would have expected.   I just hope they recognize me at the vet, because I'm not sure I'll keep it together long enough to tell them why I'm there. 

Bye-bye buddy.   Rainbow bridge, and all that.  frown

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2008, 09:26:43 PM

Well, not quite gone yet, but we have appointment at the vet in 2 hours to put him down.  He's gotten so weak that he can't do anything at all.  This was the first time in over 9 years that I didn't get greeted at the door when I got home.  I'm typically a rather emotionless robot about most things, but I'd be lying if I told you I haven't spent the last hour bawling my eyes out.  I think it's toughest because this is the first one of my pets I've had to put down.  Sure, we lost some cats as I was growing up, but they were always mom & dad's pets, not mine.  Mrs. Gratch and I picked out Buddah as soon as we moved into our first apartment.  We've always joked that he was a dog trapped in a cat's body, right down to playing fetch and begging on his hind feet for table scraps.  If anyone came into the house, he was flat in is back their lap within 5 minutes, regardless of whether or not they liked cats.  He made it his life's mission to make friends with my grandma - who feels about cats how most people feel about snakes - and she even admitted that he "wasn't bad...for a cat".   It'll be tough to get to sleep tonight without him nesting down between my feet on his favorite blanket.  Even though I have 2 other cats and a dog, this house is going to seem so much quieter.

This probably seems very "crazy cat lady"-ish, but this whole thing has hit me far harder than I ever would have expected.   I just hope they recognize me at the vet, because I'm not sure I'll keep it together long enough to tell them why I'm there. 

Bye-bye buddy.   Rainbow bridge, and all that.  frown

Sorry to hear that, man.  Losing a pet is fucking hard.  My sympathies.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »

Sorry to hear it. We've had to put down our two oldest dogs this year. Damn near killed my wife.

Call the vet and let them know you're coming and why. Ours had a side door to go through for the hard times.

Take care.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »

Sorry to hear about that.  I lost the dog I grew up with about a year ago and it was an incredibly sad period of time.

Just stick with those you love and think about the good times had with the kitty.  Good luck...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »

Sucks dude, sorry.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »

Whoops. I read this to my wife and showed her the pics. She left the room crying. Reminds us of our little buddy that passed on, down to the shaved leg frown We are sorry for your loss . Its so very hard to lose a little child li9ke that. They are part of the family.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Silky
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »

My condolences.  Buddah looks a lot like our 9 year old Neo.  I will make sure ole' Neo gets some extra scritches tonight.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:36 PM »

Thanks guys.  Just got back from the vet...that was damn hard.  He passed very peacefully lying in my lap, and I'm really glad he's not hurting any more.

As much as today sucks, the 9 years of smiles he put on our faces were worth it.   Wherever he is now, I'm sure there's plenty of tuna.  smile

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »

My condolences.  After going though a very similar experience a few months ago, I can empathize.   crybaby
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »

Quote from: depward on July 01, 2008, 10:02:31 PM

Sorry to hear about that.  I lost the dog I grew up with about a year ago and it was an incredibly sad period of time.

Just stick with those you love and think about the good times had with the kitty.  Good luck...

The Con$pirator's companion Spaniel is dead?!  Man that sucks.

Just Hiro will do.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »

So sorry to hear of your loss.   frown
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on July 02, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

My condolences.  After going though a very similar experience a few months ago, I can empathize.   crybaby

Man, our situations were nearly identical.  Buddah wouldn't eat much of the K/D food either.

With any luck, Puma and Buddah are sharing a big ol' catnip bag right now.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 02:03:28 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on July 02, 2008, 12:43:34 AM

Quote from: depward on July 01, 2008, 10:02:31 PM

The Con$pirator's companion Spaniel is dead?!  Man that sucks.

This is the truth.  Still play that song & tip a 40 to the ground for little 'ole Gumdrop...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 02:06:51 AM »

Indeedy.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 03:25:14 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 01, 2008, 11:58:36 PM

Thanks guys.  Just got back from the vet...that was damn hard.  He passed very peacefully lying in my lap, and I'm really glad he's not hurting any more.

As much as today sucks, the 9 years of smiles he put on our faces were worth it.   Wherever he is now, I'm sure there's plenty of tuna.  smile

I almost lost my little Oliver last year, and the worst part of it all was that I had to leave him at the vet for treatment and couldn't stay with him. My biggest fear was that he would pass away without me there with him.

When the time comes, I hope that he can pass on to that great kitty bed in the sky while curled up with me so his last moments here are content by my side.

Major condolences Gratch. Buddah sounds like quite a special little dude, and he had a great home while he was here. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 03:56:53 AM »

My cat Barbie and I send our deepest condolences and hope that Buddah is at peace now.

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 03:58:53 AM »

Yeah its rough to go through this. We ended up having to put down a 21 year old cat (yup 21) due to kidney problems. Then a few weeks later our 17 year old due to cancer - that was a particularly toughy for me since he was "my boy". The house felt empty for the first month. The worst feeling of loss is when you still expect them to be in their normal spots and they aren't any more.

It does get a bit better after awhile - especially knowing we gave them a great life here. But we did break down after a few months and get 2 new kittens and that actually helped. One has turned out to be great with an over abundance of personality. The other is similar to "my boy" to the point where I've called him by that name a few times.

Damn these little pets get under you skin and close to the heart.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 04:25:41 AM »

My condolences as well. This is never easy. Many of us have been there ourselves and understand what you're going through right now. Our thoughts are with you.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 04:42:35 AM »

crybaby

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 04:49:54 AM »

As a fellow cat owner, you got my condolescences, Gratch. I've a four year old male kitty named Luis, and I tear up just thinking of the day his end will come. It's tough losing a pet when you're truly attached.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 05:25:30 AM »

My condolences.  My cat Jackie looked a lot like Buddah.  Still brings a tear to my eye but the good times were worth it.  As you said, the pain is over for Buddah now.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:22:37 AM »

So sorry Gratch. I have three cats and I know how much you can love them.  crybaby
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »

In all my years I've never gotten used to a pet dying. My condolences.  icon_cry

Ye Olde Farte
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

I'm sorry Gratch. I went through this with my 5 year old dog Nelson 6 years ago and it still chokes me up.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »

Been there myself, more than once. Walking out of the vet's office with the empty cat carrier is among the worst feelings I've ever had. You have my sympathy.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »

My sincere condolences.   icon_cry 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: