http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:46:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My dog is terrified of Fallout 3  (Read 1650 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:07:05 PM »

Vader is generally a very mellow dog.  He normally just follows us around the house and is content to simply lay by our feet wherever we go.  He'll occasionally whine at the back door when he needs to go out or bark at a dog walking down the street, but other than that, we never hear a thing from him.  The last couple days, however, he's been acting very strange.  He's been wandering around the house whining constantly.  He's also been hiding out in the corner of the office (someplace he rarely ever goes) and whimpering.  Something has obviously been distressing him, but for the life of us, we haven't been able to figure out what.

I finally put two and two together this afternoon.  He was laying at his usual position by the couch as I was watching football, content to nap the day away.  I got bored with the game and fired up Fallout 3.  As soon as I got into a battle with my first Raider, Vader got up and started whimpering.  As three more Raiders joined the fight and turned it into a full-fledged shootout, Vader damn near went into panic mode.  He ran from room to room whining, then took off for the office.  I put the game on pause to go check on him, and found him hiding in the corner, whimpering, and trembling so badly he could barely even stand up.  I coaxed him out and turned the football game back on.  Sure enough, he laid down next to the couch and went to sleep.  Switched back over to Falllout 3 after about 10 minutes, and the exact same thing happened again:  whimpering, hiding, and trembling.   Looking back on it, he's been doing this since Friday, which is the day I picked up FO3.

We've had this dog for 3 years now, and he's heard all manner of shoot-em-up noises coming from that TV.  I've never seen him react this way to anything before, but he's legitimately terrified of something in that game.   Sadly, it looks like Fallout 3 may be off my play list.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »

Headphones, You
-or-
Commerical quality chainsaw suppression Earmuffs, Vader.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »

And after mentioning this to Mrs. Gratch, she said, "Well, I'd really prefer you didn't play it when I'm around either.  It just seems so much more violent and disturbing than anything else you've played."

Guess I'm out of luck with this one. 

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »

I can't help with the wife, but you ought to try giving your dog a treat as you play, so he knows that there is nothing wrong when you play the game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »

I can't help with the wife, but you ought to try giving your dog a treat as you play, so he knows that there is nothing wrong when you play the game.

honestly eddie i dont see why this wouldnt work with the wife as well smile
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:21:52 AM »

After the first few times I got into combat and caused brain matter and eyeballs and severed limbs to go flying across the screen in slow-motion, I relegated this to a play-with-headphones-after-everyone-else-is-in-bed game.  So I know where you're coming from.  Luckily I'm a night owl and have a lot of time after everyone else is in bed.

XBox Live:  JNacht
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 09, 2008, 11:47:17 PM

Watch out with this one as your dog would most likely think acting pathetic is getting him a reward and start doing this more and more for a reward. To get a dog to be comfortable with something like this you would need to shape his behavior until you get a relaxed/happy dog then reward him while the game is going on. Have not got the game myself yet so hard for me to say what sounds are bothering him. Would think it would have to be some sound that goes on in the background that in a level that is more sensitive to a dog's ears. May also be a sound that coincides with something that terrified him when he was a pup as those will stay with a dog all their lives.

Makes me want to do a science experiment as now I will have to pick up the game to see if any of my guys will react to it. Going away for the week but will have to think about trying this on the weekend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on November 10, 2008, 02:42:29 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 09, 2008, 11:47:17 PM

Watch out with this one as your dog would most likely think acting pathetic is getting him a reward and start doing this more and more for a reward. To get a dog to be comfortable with something like this you would need to shape his behavior until you get a relaxed/happy dog then reward him while the game is going on. Have not got the game myself yet so hard for me to say what sounds are bothering him. Would think it would have to be some sound that goes on in the background that in a level that is more sensitive to a dog's ears. May also be a sound that coincides with something that terrified him when he was a pup as those will stay with a dog all their lives.

Makes me want to do a science experiment as now I will have to pick up the game to see if any of my guys will react to it. Going away for the week but will have to think about trying this on the weekend

I think it might be the Raider's threatening voices, because Vader is fine with the game until I get into combat.   As soon as those voices kick up, he's gone.   It's strange though, since I've played plenty of games and nothing has ever bothered him before.  Maybe he had a bad owner as a pup (we got him from the pound at 8 weeks old), and the voices sound similar.

Whatever it is, the poor little guy was honestly terrified.  I've never seen him shake like that before.  frown  Not a huge deal to ditch the game, as I wasn't really enjoying it that much anyways.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »

Your dog would be absolutely no help in a post-nuclear wasteland.  Remember that.  No help at all.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 10, 2008, 05:57:39 PM

Your dog would be absolutely no help in a post-nuclear wasteland.  Remember that.  No help at all.

I guess he'd rapidly be turned into Dogmeat?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: