http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:38:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My current musical obsession (metal)  (Read 25445 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »

Epic show last night.  Skeletonwitch definitely brought the most energy (that singer is a madman on stage), and Amon Amarth was solid.  I gained a new level of appreciation for Enslaved, as they were fantastic.  Especially since the all power to their instruments cut out multiple times during their set.  They'd get halfway through a song, and everything would just...stop.  They handled it remarkably well, and I still came away incredibly impressed with them, even though I really only heard 5 songs and 1/2 of a few others.

Also realized that I am getting waaaaaaaay too old for metal shows.  I didn't even really get in and mix it up (much), but came away sore as hell today from all the headbanging.   dude

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »

because yeah
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

No.  Just...no.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

I saw this last week... so terrible.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

I found this guy while doing a selfie-search for my name..Paul Gillman
pretty good metal band.
The name of the band Gillman, the lead is Paul Gillman

http://paulgillman.com/

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

Oderus Urungus went back to his homeworld today.  

Never really got into their music, but now I'm really bummed that I never got around to seeing them live.  Kept saying "I'll catch them next time around", now there won't be a next time.  frown

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 10, 2014, 02:45:32 PM

I saw this last week... so terrible.

And something right up the alley of the Japanese.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

Just booked my wife and I for this cruise

http://70000tons.com

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 29, 2014, 10:22:19 AM

Just booked my wife and I for this cruise

http://70000tons.com

The lineups for that cruise in the past have been pretty ridiculous.  Enjoy!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 31, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »

It seems that DragonForce has covered Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" for their newest album.  That one's going to be...interesting.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 13, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »

If I were to choose my top 5 metal albums of the past decade, Agalloch's "Marrow of the Spirit" and Vallenfyre's "A Fragile King" would be numbers 1 and 2 (respectively) on that list.  Which means today was like metal Christmas, with new albums from both bands dropping this morning.  

Vallenfyre - Splinters.  While metal "supergroups" are more often miss than hit (*cough* Barren Earth *cough*), Vallenfyre absolutely breaks the mold.  Masters of their craft, these members of My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, and At The Gates have created something incredible here.  Their particular brand of doom/crust/death metal was on brutal display on their first album, and "Splinters" just ratchets everything up to 11.  This album is a huge, plodding, wounded beast leaving a howling wake of destruction as it crushes everything in it's path on it's way to death.  Heavy as fuck with brutality to spare, this thing is just...massive.  I'd be shocked if it didn't end up near the top of most of the "Best of 2014" lists come year end. Check out Odious Bliss for a taste.

Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere.  I've been listening to this one quite a bit (via the NPR Stream) over the last week.  It's a bit of departure from Agalloch's usual sound, but still retains their hallmark of meticulously crafted soundscapes with a combination of brutality and beauty.  It's not going to top "Marrow of the Spirit", but there's not much that can.  A solid 8/10.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:27:44 PM by Gratch » Logged

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »

listening to new Mastodon right now. it seems they went for a slightly more ... profitable sound.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »

A couple albums that I've liked enough to actually buy lately instead of just streaming them from Spotify. 

Allegaeon - Elements of the Infinite.  I'm typically not a big tech-death fan, but these guys can craft some seriously wicked (and catchy) melodies.  Plus, they make funny videos.

The Ocean - Pelagial.  This album has secured a spot in my personal "Top 10" favorite albums.  A unique concept album about diving through the different depth layers of the ocean.  Starts at the top very light, very upbeat...and absolutely crushes you by the time it gets to the bottom.  Probably my favorite song is Bathyapelagiac II...gods, what a riff.

Voyager - V.  Voyager's "The Meaning of I" was an absolutely brilliant album, and "V" carries that torch proudly.  Yes, the singer sounds like a dead ringer for Simon LeBon and there's a certain cheese factor to what they do, but the songs are just so damn good.  t's not *quite* as good as Meaning of I, but that would be a tough one to top.  You can listen to the full album on their Bandcamp page

Demonic Resurrection - The Demon King.  I'll admit it, I mostly bought this one for the cover art.  smile  However, the glowing review from No Clean Singing didn't hurt.  I'm a total sucker for some melody and orchestration in my death metal, and these guys do a hell of a job with that.  I really dig Trail of Devastation

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

They're not particularly "metal" any more, but Opeth's new album is streaming in its entirety here

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:01 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 19, 2014, 07:50:22 PM

They're not particularly "metal" any more, but Opeth's new album is streaming in its entirety here

Thanks for the link, will give it a listen tomorrow. I don't expect much, loved Opeth but they have lost it. I am all for branching out, but they went a bit too far for my tastes. Still, I am sure I will end up buying it.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »

Huh, don't know Opeth but... I liked it. Thanks for the link.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 20, 2014, 05:50:01 AM

Thanks for the link, will give it a listen tomorrow. I don't expect much, loved Opeth but they have lost it. I am all for branching out, but they went a bit too far for my tastes. Still, I am sure I will end up buying it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they've "lost it" (the songwriting is still very solid)...more that they've gone in a direction I would have preferred they didn't.  Most of what made me love Opeth was the creative interplay between brutal death metal and stunningly beautiful melodies.  It made for a very unique combination and was always an fun listen.  This dynamic is lost with the move to all prog, which makes it far less interesting, IMHO.

That said, I've listened to this new one a couple times.  It's actually pretty good...much better than "Heritage", anyways.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2014, 11:02:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 21, 2014, 03:00:09 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say they've "lost it" (the songwriting is still very solid)...more that they've gone in a direction I would have preferred they didn't.  Most of what made me love Opeth was the creative interplay between brutal death metal and stunningly beautiful melodies.  It made for a very unique combination and was always an fun listen.  This dynamic is lost with the move to all prog, which makes it far less interesting, IMHO.

That said, I've listened to this new one a couple times.  It's actually pretty good...much better than "Heritage", anyways.

Maybe "lost it" is a bit too strong, because I still do like Opeth, and Storm Corrosion for that matter, but I think Mikael Akerfeldt is mellowing out a bit too much. The melodies mixed with the death metal, as you mentioned, were what made Opeth interesting, and that seems to be gone for now. I believe Akerfeldt has said he wants to get back to something heavier eventually, but that's not enough for me, I hope he goes back to something like the original sound, not just heavier. For instance with Bloodbath he does harder stuff, but it is no where near as interesting as Opeth's classic stuff.

Anyway, listening to Pale Communion now, it's ok. Hopefully I just need a few listens to it. Still, they haven't gone into Metallica's direction yet, where I won't even give their new stuff a chance. It's just now there is Old-Opeth and New-Opeth.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:18 AM »

I really enjoyed Heritage and the concert for that show was an incredible show of musicianship.

However, I'm not a fan of this record.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2014, 04:37:03 AM »

If you're even casually interested in doom metal, the new Pallbearer album Foundations of Burden is an absolute must-buy.  I've honestly listened to nothing else this entire week.  This is so goddamn good...it's pretty much what Black Sabbath wishes they could still be.  I thought the AMG review hit the nail on the head:

A good friend of mine described them as “Funeral meets Fleet Foxes,” and while it’s a good summation of their sound, it doesn’t nearly do them justice. This is a band that deserves its place in the doom pantheon along with the greats of yore, and is an incredible album to purge your heart to.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:39:10 AM by Gratch » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: