http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My car was broken into today  (Read 589 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »

My new Mazda CX5 with less than 15k miles on it got a less than awesome visitor last night.  The untrained monkey that assaulted my vehicle tried to get the radio out by repeatedly yanking on the thing.  In the end, he didn't get the radio, broke EVERY mount on the radio (which is the factory radio and unusable in any other vehicle but this one, derp!), and also snapped every clip in the dash.  Yay!  Total damage estimate so far (we'll know more when they tear everything open) is $3260.08 just to repair the dash, and that doesn't count anything actually stolen out of the vehicle.  

That was my day.  How was yours?  

http://imgur.com/a/f4ouN

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »

ouch.  hopefully you have insurance that will cover the damage at the very least?  and if I may, a suggestion for your next car alarm? (of course one that won't kill the imbecile, only incapacitate him so you can use him as a punching bag).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »

Sorry KD, that sucks.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »

That sucks, what were they able to get? I always figured that thieves knew there was no money in these stock radios, guess not. Did they break the window to get in?

Someone got into my car a few years ago and got the radio and all the pennies out of the ash tray. Figured it must be someone pretty desperate to take a handful of pennies and a cheap ass stereo.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »

Sorry to hear, KD

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

That really sucks, sorry to hear about that.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »

I only had mine get broken into one time, at college. My stereo was an old cassette player that didn't even work, along with an equalizer that also didn't work. The only thing that worked was the radio. I hated the thing but didn't have the money to replace it.

Someone busted out the rear window to get in, then tried (and failed) to yank the stereo out. In the end, they got nothing, and I got a broken window.

I told the cop that had the burglar walked up to me and said, "Can you please open your car so I can steal your radio?" I would have said, "Why certainly sir, and let me go get a screwdriver to assist," because he would have been doing me a favor.  Head meets wall
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »

Did this happen before KD? I remember some car story you posted...or maybe someone rammed into your car and drove off?

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »

Ive had this happen a few times.  They always do far more damage than the value of the crap they take.    The latest trick for gas thieves is to crawl under your car with a gas can and then puncture the gas tank and drain it.  They get 5 -10 gals of gas, you get to replace your tank to the tune of $700 or more.  The sad thing is there is no deterrent. If they dont get caught in the act, theres no way the police are going to do anything about it ( same with break ins ) . The percentage caught in these minor vehicle assaults is likely less than .001% and those that do get caught get a slap on the wrist. The really cool thing is that your only option now is to report it to the insurance company.  Thats when the real crime takes place.  Since youve been a victim of a crime, you are now a high risk so they jack up your insurance rates to compensate.  In the long run, unless the damage from the break in was substantial,( in your case, it was KD ) it may be best to just repair it yourself and not report it.  Its a very screwed up system we have here.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »

That really bites, KD.  Even my Grand Theft Auto characters never steal radios.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »

Sorry, Ron, that sucks.  icon_frown

I have no stories close to that. In the early 2000s, some local clown bent up my '96 Corolla's telescopic (manual, not electric) car antenna twice. Here's the thing -- the antenna is metal and you need almost superhuman strength to bend it.

The first time, someone pulled the antenna to its full length and then bent it across the width of my front windshield. Insurance covered it but was a $200 deductible and it didn't cost much more than that. The dealership replaced it. I retracted the antenna and figured that would be that.

So a couple weeks later I come out, and somebody pulled the antenna out, and bent it into several circles (!). Nobody else's car in the parking lot was touched. This all happened in the brightly lit parking lot right in front of my condo building. I managed to sort of unravel most of it through the last foot or so is bent and won't retract. I didn't even ever get it fixed.

It sounds like nothing but for weeks I was suspicious of my neighbors (never had an argument with anyone), and would park in far off parking areas. Still bugs me to this day. I reported both incidents to local police who added it to their reports but otherwise offered to do nothing beyond trying to patrol my neighborhood a bit more often.

And my co-worker recently had all four tires and alloy wheels stolen from her Honda Fit, at night, right in front of her house. Although her car had an alarm system, they apparently so gingerly handled the car (just used a spare-tire type jack), it never went off. Insurance in the end covered it, and the replacement wheels have locks (for all the good it'll do), but it was a multi-day nightmare for her.

People suck sometimes.  disgust
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:32:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »

I had a car broken into twice.  Once when I lived in Akron, Ohio and the other time in Chicago.  This was back in the days of CD's and both times they stole my CD deck...but left all my CD's behind.  I felt like waiting in the back seat with the doors unlocked and the next time they broke in, I'd plead with them, "Come on now, you're making me feel self conscious.  Just give this one a try.  Please???"

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 27, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

I had a car broken into twice.  Once when I lived in Akron, Ohio and the other time in Chicago.  This was back in the days of CD's and both times they stole my CD deck...but left all my CD's behind.  I felt like waiting in the back seat with the doors unlocked and the next time they broke in, I'd plead with them, "Come on now, you're making me feel self conscious.  Just give this one a try.  Please???"

sorry man, but thieves just ain't into Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Melissa Etheridge or New Kids on the Block.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 27, 2013, 12:30:27 PM

Did this happen before KD? I remember some car story you posted...or maybe someone rammed into your car and drove off?

Yep, the running tally over the last 5-7 years is:
  • Dodge Intrepid stolen on Memorial day.  Found about 30 miles away, stripped completely (wiring harnesses, doors, etc. etc.) Insurance spent more than double the cost of a brand new car rebuilding it and it overheated less than a block and a half away from the repair shop.  Total repair time of over 4 months and it was never right.  Traded it in and got the Dodge Stratus that has 56k miles on it and eats about $1500 a year in repairs.  Dodge quality!
  • My mom parked her truck at the curb over a long weekend.  They broke in and stole her bible and a set of pink tools.  Re-read that.  Embrace the outrage.
  • Mazda 3 was sideswiped.  Damned kid took the curve too fast, went up over the curb, tore through my yard, sideswiped the entire side of the car, blew through my mailbox, and then took off.  Thankfully somebody saw all of this and shouted him down until he returned to the scene.
  • Mazda 3 had the driver side window smashed with a rock for fun.  Nothing taken.
  • Mazda CX5 - monkey set loose to do the current damage.  Nothing taken, dash busted.
Insurance covers it, sure but that's $2000 in deductibles up there at 500 a pop.  (Glass coverage covered the side window smash)

In this case, they got some change.  No windows smashed because the alarm system did nothing.  Even now I can arm it and bump the car, shake the hell out of it, and it does nothing.  I'm asking for a refund as I can never trust it.  I want the one from Robocop please.  smile  

The cop asked me if I saw the perpetrator.  I advised him that if I saw the perpetrator I wouldn't have called the cops, I'd be calling somebody to pick up a body.  He felt that was "harsh".  I guess I have less tolerance for thieves than most.  I bust my ass for what I have, and I want it to remain my property.  

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

I had my cheap CD player stolen out of my old car on Easter weekend several years ago.  They only left a few small gouges around the dash opening and relocked my car afterward, so they were very thoughtful.  It had a detachable face but I had stopped removing it at night since I didn't think anyone bothered with stealing car radios anymore.  My bad.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 27, 2013, 03:20:03 PM

I bust my ass for what I have, and I want it to remain my property.  

So you're opposed to high taxes?  icon_wink

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2013, 03:13:15 PM

Quote from: hepcat on September 27, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

sorry man, but thieves just ain't into Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Melissa Etheridge or New Kids on the Block.

They even left the Billy Ray Cyrus!!!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »

At the end of the day, it's just property and for the most part is easily replaceable.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 05:10:05 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2013, 05:03:24 PM

At the end of the day, it's just property and for the most part is easily replaceable.

That wasn't really the issue when my car got robbed. First it was the hassle of getting the dash fixed and the stereo replaced. But the worst part was not feeling like where I lived was safe. It's nice thinking you live in a place where you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff happening.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »

I gave up on the notion of personal safety the moment I drove my U-Haul into Chicago city limits 15 years ago.   icon_frown

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2013, 05:10:05 PM

That wasn't really the issue when my car got robbed. First it was the hassle of getting the dash fixed and the stereo replaced. But the worst part was not feeling like where I lived was safe. It's nice thinking you live in a place where you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff happening.

Yeah that's an interesting point. I never feel that way I guess due to where I live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2013, 05:12:21 PM

Yeah that's an interesting point. I never feel that way I guess due to where I live.

Didn't someone just get stabbed to death minutes from your house the other night?! (After the Giants game)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

It's nice thinking you live in a place where you don't have to worry about that kind of stuff happening.

KD stopped thinking that a looooong time ago.  Sounds like he's in South Central.

Watch out KD or you'll wake up one morning and the solar panels will be gone!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 27, 2013, 05:17:16 PM

Didn't someone just get stabbed to death minutes from your house the other night?! (After the Giants game)

But it was gellar who did the stabbin'.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 27, 2013, 05:17:16 PM

Probably about 15 minutes or so. A couple of neighborhoods away.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 27, 2013, 05:11:22 PM

I gave up on the notion of personal safety the moment I drove my U-Haul into Chicago city limits 15 years ago.   icon_frown

First for total murders but not per capita. Good news, right?

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »

Impressive to confront a thief stealing someone's bike.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on September 27, 2013, 05:33:56 PM

Carrottop requires many blood sacrifices.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on September 27, 2013, 05:33:56 PM

Yay?

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

People still steal car stereos? I thought that was over a long time ago.

I never lock my car and don't keep anything of value in it. Since I have a soft top, if somebody wants to get in, they're going to get in. I'd rather they didn't slash my top to do it. I doubt that anyone's going to go after my crappy 9-year-old Bose CD player.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 01:44:47 AM »

That's rotten mate.  mad

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: