http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music that you miss.  (Read 1183 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:41:43 AM »

Bands that have broken before their time and you just weren't finished with them. (Be it because of death or otherwise)

Mine:

Alice in Chains-between Cantrells writing/guittar and Staleys unique voice I don't think I've ever encountered a band with such dark emotional impact.  Dirt was my favourite album, though I listen to Jar of Flies as I write this.  

Headstones-Rock and Roll at its best.  A combo of Canadians and Yanks made some of the best R&R you could see for 15$ a pop.  I went to see them every time they came to Ottawa/Toronto.  I had just moved out west when I heard they had broken up and was quite dismayed to realize I'd never see them here in Victoria-or ever again. :cry:
(if your a fan of Three Days Grace, they once opened for Headstones under their old band name "Groundswell" at a place called The Pines in Bridgenorth, ON.

I also miss Soundgarden.  I'm not nearly as impressed with CC's new job with former RATM members.  

What are yours?
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 09:49:54 AM »

Joy Divison
Marc Bolan/T.Rex
Eno-era Roxy Music
Television
Vaselines
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:42:40 AM »

Dismemberment Plan (link to playable albums) - great indie punk/pop band.  Goofy but smart lyrics backed by one of the tightest rhythm sections going.  Best albums were "...Is Terrified" and "Emergency & I".  Their last album, "Change" was a bit of a departure, still good but not as catchy.  Lead singer Travis Morrison put out a solo record but it's really out there and off the wall lyrically.  Hopefully his work will improve, at this point it just doesn't have the same spark.

Camper Van Beethoven - Bizarre mix of rock, ska and eastern european folk music with violin as a main instrument.  One of their better known songs is "Take the Skinheads Bowling" but isn't really a good representation of their sound.  Singer David Lowery went on to form the better known Cracker which I didn't care for much.  BUT, I just saw that CVB has reformed and put out a new album so I guess they don't really count for this list anymore.  It's been getting good reviews but I'm actually afraid to buy it for fear that they've drastically changed their sound.  

I'd love to hear another Neutral Milk Hotel album but last I heard Jeff Magnum was off doing some "found sound" type stuff.  Maybe someday....

(HBZ)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 10:51:57 AM »

I'm going to echo Alice-in-Chains. I was listening to the best of the box cd yesterday in my car actually. Great stuff.

I'm also going to disagree on Chris Cornell's new digs. I think Audioslave is excellent. Yes, I miss soundgarden too, but his new band is just as good if not better IMO. It's just as good, but in entirely different ways.

Also.. Smashing Pumpkins. I don't follow them close enough to know if they're actually broken up or not, but the last time someone mentioned them it was a rumor that they were gone. I like their stuff. I have Gish and their Rotten Apples in my car right alongside the Alice-in-Chains stuff.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Tim Maynard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 12:52:52 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Also.. Smashing Pumpkins. I don't follow them close enough to know if they're actually broken up or not, but the last time someone mentioned them it was a rumor that they were gone. I like their stuff. I have Gish and their Rotten Apples in my car right alongside the Alice-in-Chains stuff.

Smashing Pumpkins did break up a few years back after a few roster moves. D'arcy was traded to Hole for their bass player and they let drummer Jimmy Chamberlain back into the band. Their last album was pretty good and it sounded more like the early Pumpkins' albums and less like the techno band they seemed to be morphing into. Billy Corgan formed a new band named Zwan and after releasing one decent album Zwan broke up.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 02:33:57 PM »

I'll second (third?) Alice In Chains.  Most of their music is even more poignant now given Layne's downward spiral.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'll second (third?) Alice In Chains.  Most of their music is even more poignant now given Layne's downward spiral.

The last ten years of his life were a downward spiral for Layne.

I once heard a urban legend that Layne Staley and Kurt Cobain used to wait at the same 7-11 for their heroin dealer before they became famous.

ninja

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 06:39:44 PM »

In the late 80`s there was a group in the uk called Fine Young Cannibals, they brought out a superb album, The Raw and the Uncooked. It was great, sold very very well and that was it, nothing else just a greatest hits album with a couple of new songs on 15 years later.

They still play a lot of their songs in the uk on the music channels.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

Quote from: "Hamsterball_Z"
Dismemberment Plan (link to playable albums) - great indie punk/pop band.  

Dismemberment Plan is awesome.  Well at least there one album, "Emergency and I".  The other one was just okay.

I can add a notch to Alice and Chains and Smashing Pumpkins though both had several albums but could have kept going.  I'll add:

Cat Stevens - The man went gold on every album he made over ten years and then just vanished.  Good music but defintley a Seinfeldish exit.  

Postal Service - These guys are out right now and are really good.  but, rumor has it they won't release any more albums becasue members of their "other" band Death Cab For Cutie got pissed at the success of Postal Service.
Sunderer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 06:49:12 PM »

ABBA.

"At this moment, you mean everything."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 09:04:41 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Smashing Pumpkins were great in their prime...Siamese Dream is one of my favorite rock albums of all time, but i really think they started to go downhill with their last couple efforts.  they were like a totally different band with Adore, but managed to get a little bit of the old sound back with Machina (their last album).  in my mind, Melloncollie & the Infinite Sadness was the last really great album that they released...and their last great tour.  i saw SP on the Infinite Sadness tour back in '96 and they put on an amazing high-energy arena rock show.  i saw them again a few years on their final tour for Machina before breaking up (in 2000), and it was like a different band...compared to a few years earlier, they really sounded bad.  i'll never forget when they played 'Cherub Rock' and you couldn't even tell what song they were playing at first...an unforgettable guitar intro and riff that was unrecognizable until Corgan started singing.  that pretty much summed up the show...and left me with a bit of a sour opinion on the final days of the Pumpkins.  i would have loved to have the old band back again, but something was missing in their later years...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 10:35:31 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"

Marc Bolan/T.Rex

:shock:  :oops:  :lol:
More monitor, Mike!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: