http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:47:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: music downloads  (Read 1598 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »

has anyone tried one of the legal music download services? The ones where you pay around $0.99 for the legal right to download and burn a track? If so, my questions:

1) which service do you use?
2) What is the quality of the tracks? CD?Radio? etc....
3) Do they usually have every artist and song or just obscure ones?
4) anything else i need to know?
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:46:51 PM »

I've bought a few tunes off of iTunes.  Audio quality seems fine to me but I am not an audiophile.  Pretty big catalog, though they don't have everything.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 04:49:08 PM »

I've tried most of the major ones. Itunes, MSN, Napster (the legal version), and real.  I perfer Itunes and while I have a hand full of songs on the other services, I have nearly 1200 songs through Itunes. I don't have an ipod either.

2) the quality is less than CD but I can't really tell.
3) Each service has a huge catalog but there are gaps.
4) I would try the big 4, buy several songs on each so you can decide on which you perfer.

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 08:22:54 PM »

I spent a while with Pressplay until they were bought out by Napster and relaunched. It's all flashy and too mainstream for me.

Now, I've been using eMusic - great selection of Alternative, and for $10 you get 40 downloads a month, pure MP3 (no DRM).

I've been downloading Belle & Sebastian and Pixies like crazy smile
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 09:27:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies. For the record, I am looking for mostly mainstream type stuff in all catagories. CD quality is ideal, but I am not an audiofile so as look as it's clean with minimal cracking/static I'm good. Definately prefer MP3 so that it works nicely with my MP3 player....
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 12:41:28 AM »

I've used a bit of Napster and iTunes.  Both are great and if I had an MP3 player capable of using both, I would use both (They both have songs that the others don't have).

Quality on both was great.  The only songs that were low in quality were old ones that were of poor audio quality to begin with..

I may give eMusic a try. $10 for 40 songs sounds great...

If I added a sig, would you read it?
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »

Their focus in on the Indie scene, with loads from the 80s and 90s as well.

PM me your email address if you're interested - they are running a referral deal were I think you get 50 free downloads if you subscribe, and I get 10.

Chris.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:06 PM »

I have an iPod, so I of course use iTunes and I love it.

The Complete U2 Digital Box set that is out tomorrow on iTunes looks to be amazing. I am getting that one for sure. It even comes with a digital booklet (.pdf file)...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:28:55 PM »

I use iTunes and my only gripe is the file format.  I don't have an iPod so I burn the music to a CD and then rip it to get to mp3 or wmv format.   There are probably easier ways to do it but that is what I know.  I would prefer to be able to just get the music just as a straight mp3 though.
Dudd
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 11:59:05 PM »

I use Rhapsody, and I think it's great.  Of course, it's a little bit different than iTunes and the rest since it's mostly a streaming service.  But, I spend a fair (read, way, way too much) time just on the computer surfing the web, reading emails, playing online poker, so having a catalog of several hundered thousand albums all at my fingertips is really nice.  There are ways of recording directly from your sound card and converting songs into MP3 format (not sure if it's kosher), but I haven't really used that since I don't own an mp3 player.  Of course, you can also pay them an additional .75 cents a song I believe to download a song and burn it.  I don't know though, my sister had me make one of those for her, and a custom mix was 15 bucks.  I think the streaming is well worth it, but paying for individual songs seems like a pretty bad value.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and for a piece of Real software, it actually doesn't suck and drag your entire computer down kicking and screaming with a ton of junk installed that I don't want or need.
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »

The eMusic trial sounds good. Fifty free downloads and the ability to cancel before any billing. Has anyone tried that? If so, is the whole catalog available to trial subscribers? There's some Eighteenth Street Lounge stuff I'd like to check out.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 03:06:33 AM »

I use walmart.com .  They have most of the music that the other services do and they only cost .88 cents a song or 9.44 an album.  The recordings are in .wmv format, can be put on 3 computers and be burnt 10 times each.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 02:54:43 PM »

My co-worker used iTUNES for the first time the other day and I went to listen to what he got and it said I needed a password and he could only pass it to I think 5 computers?  Thats kinda silly.  I would prefer to just by the CD if that is the case... anyone know how to get around that?
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 03:07:06 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
I use iTunes and my only gripe is the file format.  I don't have an iPod so I burn the music to a CD and then rip it to get to mp3 or wmv format.   There are probably easier ways to do it but that is what I know.  I would prefer to be able to just get the music just as a straight mp3 though.

You can skip a step:
Preferences --> Burning --> MP3 CD

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
argent
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 03:12:29 PM »

I'll second the Rhapsody service as actually pretty nice. A lot of times, I just want to listen to a particular song/album not necessarily buy it. One of the other nice benefits is that you can stream the service to whatever computer you are one, limited of course to a single login at a time. Also, you have the ability to make personalized radio station that will be based around 5 or so particular artists you select. The playlist will be generated from them, and associated genres from those artists. Pretty nice. I wouldn't recommend it for buying songs though, as you can only burn them to a cd, which then you would have to re-burn to MP3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: