http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MSFT buys Nokia 7.2 bil - Win Phones here to stay  (Read 2032 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on September 06, 2013, 12:04:51 AM

Quote from: Purge on September 05, 2013, 11:53:11 PM

If that's the case, WinPhone 8 should have already won hands down - its interface and layout is well ahead of Android - and this is coming from Wozniak.

This article is from a year and a half ago.  Android has made some rather major improvements since then.

So has Windows. that was a lumia 900 - a win7.5 device.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »

Windows 8 might be a fine device, but frankly people just don't care about it. It does not move the needle.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 12:54:40 AM »

Oh really?

at 25 million sold, it is currently in third place, with the iOS devices falling.

It's been said already - devices come and go. I hope MS wakes up and fixes the three biggest detractors to their product - music management, notification center, and their app store issues.

If they decide to buy up BB, it would be to tackle to corporate aspects - including military-grade security measures, BBM (though Skype is a direct competitor and is positioned to stay - perhaps integration with BBM?). The IP's that BB holds are significant, and having a QWERTY smartphone that doesn't compromise the screen for keys would be fantastic. Will it happen? Dunno.

I've jumped ships before, and I move on when it no longer interests me. MS's phone has not lost its' sheen yet. Here's to hoping that they get the .1 (aka Blue) update out in a timely manner (*cough*not_through_carriers*cough*).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:39 AM »

25 million sold total lifetime? Apple sold 37.4M devices last quarter. Windows sold 7M. They are barely outselling Blackberry, who everyone has a deathwatch for.

I talk to many, many enterprises on a constant basis as a part of my job. Windows Phone is literally not on their radar. I design enterprise software with a heavy mobile slant to it. I ask them every time what platform to consider next. No one says Windows.

Windows 8 is a pimple on an elephant's ass. NO. ONE. CARES.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:01 AM »

Quoted for future reference - MS ante'd up to fix the RROD thing - and look where the 360 is. They've just double-downed on WP8 and Nokia - and have likely decided to quit letting manufacturers fragment a product they could bring to bear themselves. Similarly MS didn't want to build a surface - they wanted developers to do it. Now, they are in a position where they need to compete with their clients - and they don't really want to do that.

Samsung has been an abysmal partner - likely because Samsung is looking to build their own mobile device empire (free of Android, no less). HTC is ... floundering? So what do they do ... compete with Nokia, the only one who's made any real traction (outside Huwei) in the marketplace with their mobile OS?

We've just passed a milestone. Think of it as the elephant getting off of its ass. Perhaps that pimple will pop, or perhaps it will grow. It's wait-and-see.

All I know is that I *much* prefer WP8 - and the sad state of iOS as a "streamlined" product has shown nothing but loss. Per the link above, they're down to less than 20% marketshare. In three years, mobile device worlds are won and lost - look at Motorola, or even, well, Nokia.

As for Android, it is a cobbled-together tool of some significant function - and one that in the three devices I've used it for have significant problems.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:01 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2013, 02:50:01 AM

Quoted for future reference
Don't you actually need to quote something there...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 03:02:38 AM »

I expect as Google revamps Motorola, their line of phones will function much more along the lines f Apple products as they can control exactly what capabilities both are capable of, and secondary handset manufacturers will either have to step up their game to match capabilities or find another OS to install.  

As a programmer, I can respect the position of Android in the market and the freedom that it allows hardware mfgs, programmers, and users to do exactly what they want outside of Apple's walled garden.  However, I long ago came to the conclusion that I just want my phone to work properly and not have to worry about managing devices and apps outside of my work time.  

And Apple has never positioned themselves to be the market leader in terms of OS market share.  If they did, they would be licensing it to third party manufacturers.  But that's something they've not even done with the desktop OS model.  There's more to marketing than being a market leader.  There are niches and areas to carve out markets that don't consist of being the Wal-Mart of the market.

Microsoft isn't going to get many inroads into Apple's market, but Android is ripe for the picking if Microsoft can deliver an attractive third option that works well on dedicated and designed-for hardware.  Whether or not they can deliver that remains to be seen.  If not, they can easily take it down the WebOS road and leave behind any semblance of the direct consumer phone market.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 03:38:24 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 06, 2013, 02:55:01 AM

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2013, 02:50:01 AM

Quoted for future reference
Don't you actually need to quote something there...

"Windows 8 is a pimple on an elephant's ass. NO. ONE. CARES."

Go gellar, go. You tell me, a person who works for five financial firms of significant size of what moves the needle. Yours, perhaps? Self-deprecation will get you nowhere. slywink

A lot of major corporations don't jump willy-nilly on the latest bandwagons - the bigger the firm (certainly in the financial district) the more reticent they are to adopt new tech. Hell, a third of my co-workers were still on XP until this year - there is no need to upgrade people's machines / devices unless there is a business need. Iphones are not a business need. The requirement simply isn't there, and now that Blackberry is on its way out (which may take some time), companies are looking to go with a solid and longer-term solution.

Systems architecture and implementation windows last longer sometimes than iPhone has even been around. It simply does not work that way. You may be right about MS not having market interest right now - but MS buying Nokia's Hardware and Devices line certainly was felt across the globe. That *announcement* "moved the needle" - Nokia is trading higher than it has in over a year, and while MSFT dropped a couple points, it was less than the dip at E3.

Dip may-or-may-not be a double-entendre.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:40:34 AM by Purge » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »

I told you. It's user demand. None of these guys wanted to move off of Blackberry but ALL of the big ones now support it because the users *demanded* it. This is a titanic shift in the way the industry worked and has really fundamentally changed the way business is done. There's a buzzword for this: Consumerization of IT (http://www.wired.com/insights/2013/07/consumerization-of-it-paves-way-for-disruptive-technologies/). It's all over the place. This isnt news. Frankly I'm surprised ANYONE with any ties to Enterprise IT or software development today believes otherwise. If you're not in that realm then maybe I can get it but even then it's a stretch.

Windows will get nowhere until they make users want it. The problem is there's a major culture issue at Microsoft that they can't sell to the end user. Only the Xbox was good at it. Nothing else they've done markets to the user successfully in the least. They just don't get it. Tonight I'm watching a laughably bad Surface ad comparing it to the iPad with three major features: a built in stand, a USB port, and a keyboard. Holy crap. WHO WANTS THAT?

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to succeed and that the market is impenetrable. I'm just saying they've shown ZERO ability to make me think it's remotely close to probable. Could Nokia change that? Not likely: they have a failure pattern very similar to MS.

And NOK is trading higher than it has in over a year because A PRICE HAS BEEN SET FOR THE STOCK (you know, MSFT's announced purchase price). That's an absurd data point.

In any case, like I said I live in this world. I've lived in this world specifically for the last three years. I talk to customers, analysts, and other developers frequently. No offense, but I'm infinitely more qualified than you are to make calls here.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 03:56:45 AM »

By the way, I've met with just about all of the top ten biggest banks in the world and I can tell you for certain: they all support at least Apple and most support Android. All of the multinational ones support Android. That's a done deal and has been the case for well over a year.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 05:14:32 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 06, 2013, 03:55:18 AM

a USB port

That's a selling point?? Must be some magical USB port. icon_lol
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 05, 2013, 07:19:58 PM

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on September 05, 2013, 02:13:21 PM

How could you possibly say the xb1 is crap? I mean seriously we haven't even seen it yet. Showing some serious bias there with that comment. It looks to be a great system. Maybe not your system of choice but it almost certainly won't be a failure or crap.

Don't know if you've been following anything from the past few months, but remember all the consumer unfriendly programs and features they initially touted for the XB1? That's what I'm talking about. The hardware may be fine, but the functionality was not until the people, and their competitors reacted. All the "positives" from those systems were only revealed after they had canceled it, so I don't count stuff like family sharing as real until they officially announced it.

That's a clear example of the kind of thinking that comes when you've had too much dominance in an area and try to leverage it without providing more positives.

In terms of business and corporate culture, it's valid to bring this up.

Sorry the product still isn't out. Hard to call it crap. Even as it stood it is unlikely it would have been a failure. It doesn't add to your narrative very well.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »

Doesn't matter if the product isn't out or not, the policies and systems they announced and intended to launch with, before the major change were just plain silly. Otherwise, why did they end up changing it before the release? I'm calling those policies and systems crap, the kind of crap that is an example of my argument about MS's business culture. The hardware argument I couldn't care less about.

It doesn't add to your narrative very well when you refuse to admit something that even MS has admit already, and they're the ones making the smart move.

Again, it was a clear sign of the kind of arrogance you can get when a company is too used to dominance in a market, with minimal effort. It can lead to the corporate culture inside the business becoming complacent. It's one of the main reasons MS does so poorly when they jump into markets, not just the gaming market, but plenty of other markets they tried to just jump into across the years. You can find example after example of it with quick searches online, and just as many articles pointing this out.

That's not to say they don't end up contributing positively overall, it's just that when they fail, or end up with a mediocre product (or just mediocre reception to the product) there is a reason for it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:44:24 AM by Turtle » Logged
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:59 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 06, 2013, 05:42:12 AM

Again, it was a clear sign of the kind of arrogance you can get when a company is too used to dominance in a market, with minimal effort. It can lead to the corporate culture inside the business becoming complacent. It's one of the main reasons MS does so poorly when they jump into markets, not just the gaming market, but plenty of other markets they tried to just jump into across the years. You can find example after example of it with quick searches online, and just as many articles pointing this out.

Yep, and not to pick on MS, but it happened with Sony and the PS3 too, and many other companies that have had a lead in an industry. If you rest on your laurels long enough, your competition will pass you by. Remember Netscape? Remember Wordperfect?  I think MS has had a cumulative effect with the original XBox and the 360, and they simply got too confident with the XB1, thinking that people would have blind faith and accept the restrictive policies. But they've burnt their bridges with many of their loyal users. The hardware could be very good, but that means nothing if they don't have the userbase to support it. First impressions mean everything. Especially in a world that moves so quickly as electronics, as people will just move on to the next thing if attention is not captured. There's a world of difference between the MS that launched the 360 and the MS that announced the XB1, and that lies in the change in culture mostly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:01:15 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on September 06, 2013, 05:14:32 AM

a USB port

Ask an iPad what kind it has? slywink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

Doesn't matter if the product isn't out or not, the policies and systems they announced and intended to launch with, before the major change were just plain silly. Otherwise, why did they end up changing it before the release? I'm calling those policies and systems crap, the kind of crap that is an example of my argument about MS's business culture.

Before E3, the market believed Sony was moving in the same direction - and they likely were, and decided instead to switch up garner gaming popularity rather than make their publishing partners happy. The licensing model still exists right now, with likely the software you're using to respond to this... it just wasn't across the board for all video game disks.

Online-only is clearly lifted from the smartphone market - and they were stupid to require a "heartbeat" - there was no good reason for that which I've explained before.

In three years, we'll see where disk vs online licensing sits. - but that all still doesn't validate yourclaim that a console you haven't played is "crap".

At one point in my life, I recall adults (as I was in my early teens) saying remote controls for TV were stupid, because you could just get up and change the channel. The "value-add" that the Xbone is offering is, IMO, the same value proposition. *IF* implemented well, this could well change the way we approach the home theater - no looking for remotes, no buying batteries for them, no line of sight issues with components and the remote.

I can't comment on the execution, since it's not out yet. The same has been said for your position.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2013, 01:55:48 PM

Doesn't matter if the product isn't out or not, the policies and systems they announced and intended to launch with, before the major change were just plain silly. Otherwise, why did they end up changing it before the release? I'm calling those policies and systems crap, the kind of crap that is an example of my argument about MS's business culture.

Before E3, the market believed Sony was moving in the same direction - and they likely were, and decided instead to switch up garner gaming popularity rather than make their publishing partners happy. The licensing model still exists right now, with likely the software you're using to respond to this... it just wasn't across the board for all video game disks.

Online-only is clearly lifted from the smartphone market - and they were stupid to require a "heartbeat" - there was no good reason for that which I've explained before.

In three years, we'll see where disk vs online licensing sits. - but that all still doesn't validate yourclaim that a console you haven't played is "crap".

At one point in my life, I recall adults (as I was in my early teens) saying remote controls for TV were stupid, because you could just get up and change the channel. The "value-add" that the Xbone is offering is, IMO, the same value proposition. *IF* implemented well, this could well change the way we approach the home theater - no looking for remotes, no buying batteries for them, no line of sight issues with components and the remote.

I can't comment on the execution, since it's not out yet. The same has been said for your position.

The policies were crap, we don't need the system to be out to know these things, the system that is coming out is not the same as the one that was announced, not even only on the policy side but in software and even hardware.   Digital will eventually overtake physical media, it has happened in every medium and will happen here, the problem is it can not be forced and pushed down the customers' throats, it has to happen organically, you give people options, and they gravitate over.  Even Netflix still has a disk based service.  Microsoft's mistake was in trying to force the transition instead of just positioning themselves in a way to take advantage of the natural flow of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:05:55 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 06, 2013, 02:02:36 PM

The policies were crap, we don't need the system to be out to know these things, the system that is coming out is not the same as the one that was announced, not even only on the policy side but in software and even hardware.   Digital will eventually overtake physical media, it has happened in every medium and will happen here, the problem is it can not be forced and pushed down the customers' throats, it has to happen organically, you give people options, and they gravitate over.  Even Netflix still has a disk based service.  Microsoft's mistake was in trying to force the transition instead of just positioning themselves in a way to take advantage of the natural flow of it.

I have to agree here.  See Steam as an example

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2013, 01:45:18 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on September 06, 2013, 05:14:32 AM

a USB port

Ask an iPad what kind it has? slywink

Right, but it still isn't much of a selling point when you consider that other tablets do have usb ports.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

The comparison was against an iPad, not all of known creation.

WRT iPad, USB3 port on my Surface pro begs to differ. My space isn't restricted in that regard - I have a 4port USB3 hub (powered) in a docking setup at home. It also has a microSD slot.

Also, my tablet doesn't require me to buy from an exclusive app store as its sole mode of install.

if I was offered a trade, Id laugh. I would consider getting a mini at some point, though it is by no means in the budget or high on my priority list.

Back on topic - the MS/Nokia Lumia "phablet" looks interesting.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:44:59 AM by Purge » Logged

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »

Well, my bad then, I thought we were talking about the market in general, not just Apple vs MS. If we're comparing directly against Apple, then yes, I'd agree.

Edit: Hah, Ok reading comprehension fail. I went back and looked at it again and to see it was an ad vs the IPad. Oops smile
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:58:55 PM by Rumpy » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »

Not to derail the derailment, slywink but I like my Windows 8 phone (recently switched from a Nexus) and think this could be a decent deal if it allows Microsoft to be a little more competitive when it comes to getting things to market on time.  They have a history of being a day late and a dollar short.

I'm not sure it will fix everything since a lot of their problem is also getting the software side taken care of on time, but at least it might make for a more cohesive team and end product.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gbasden
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:36 AM »

I really enjoy my Windows Phone as well - the 8X is a beautiful piece of hardware. I'd love to upgrade to the Nokia 1020, though, given how amazing the camera is.

Anyway, what's the line? Haters gonna hate?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »

I think I'd like to see what the 1620 or whatever the phablet is. I don't mind something that's a little bigger. I use BT for earphones, so its portability isn't key (and I generally have big pockets)

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »

My HTC One died within a year, leaving me without a phone and  still under contract. I decided to buy a Nokia 900 off Craigslist because I didn't want to spend a ton. Guess what?  I love it. The phone was only purchased to hold me until I can get a new one under contract, but I'm so taken with Windows that my next phone will be the Nokia flagship phone that's out next September. There are certainly some cons to Windows, but nothing I can't live with.

Just wanted to jump in here and support Purge.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 03:21:56 AM »

My company just purchased an outrageous number of iPads and iPhones for the entire network. It is my understanding that Windows tablets and phones were never even considered, and Android was considered to be unsecure and of questionable stability.

I don't see how MS can hope to recoup their investment. They would have been better off doubling down on the Xbox, and purchasing something like EA or Ubisoft, and securing rights to a large stable of exclusives. Either that, or acquire a series of top-tier developers, and consolidate them under Microsoft Studios.

Windows tablets and windows phones will not capture any significant market share, despite being quality products. the MS surface Pro and Windows phones are great devices, but the marketing has been horrible and consumer interest is almost non-existent. They simply aren't cool or fashionable, and to recoup the type of money they just spent, they will need significant consumer sales. So what now?  A billion in marketing to shift the image?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 05:01:51 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on September 08, 2013, 06:47:25 PM

My HTC One died within a year, leaving me without a phone and  still under contract. I decided to buy a Nokia 900 off Craigslist because I didn't want to spend a ton. Guess what?  I love it. The phone was only purchased to hold me until I can get a new one under contract, but I'm so taken with Windows that my next phone will be the Nokia flagship phone that's out next September. There are certainly some cons to Windows, but nothing I can't live with.

Just wanted to jump in here and support Purge.

On the 900 .. is it 7.5 or 7.8? I found on my Samsung Focus (which is still in use - a family member has it now) the 7.8 works really well (it looks like 8, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »

Sorry, but Sony never officially announced any copy protection and systems near XB1 levels. Stop jumping arguments for Pete's sake. You're all over the place these days with all the MS uberlove.

You can call my claim unsubstantiated, but let's be frank here, you, me, everyone here is talking about stuff that isn't quite released. You're talking like MS buying Nokia will bring about the messiah of smart phones. To that, I throw your snide remarks right back at you. It doesn't validate your claims that MS's future smartphone ventures, that you haven't used yet, aren't crap.

Meanwhile, I do think you can very much call officially announced functionality that's meant to impede consumers in every way, as it is: crap. Regardless of whether it's released or not. This doesn't mean the entire XB1 is crap, but everything they had planned was.

Even I think it was a good idea for MS to nab nokia, for reasons I've already stated. However, I still think they're going to have to work harder than the many, many other real world business situations that MS has been in similar to this. MS has a lot of real world failures in competing in these types of markets, and yes, that's even after investing larger amounts on par with buying up entire companies.

And, as I keep pointing out. They stay afloat because of their current dominance over the PC OS, and services market. They have a lot of ways of monetizing that dominance in the PC market. You should hear about the various development fees, other things like signed drivers weren't solely motivated by security, but they can do it because of that dominance. There is no such dominance in the phone and mobile computing market, and it's a market that's steadily eating into their PC dominance.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 05:01:51 AM

On the 900 .. is it 7.5 or 7.8? I found on my Samsung Focus (which is still in use - a family member has it now) the 7.8 works really well (it looks like 8, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles).

It's 7.8.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 09, 2013, 10:23:45 AM

Sorry, but Sony never officially announced any copy protection and systems near XB1 levels. Stop jumping arguments for Pete's sake. You're all over the place these days with all the MS uberlove.

Copy protection is what you're talking about and I'm jumping around? I was replying to your tangent on XB1 shovelling crap in this MS buys Nokia thread, not the other way around. Also, reading comprehension - I said the "market believed" not that Sony WAS.

It doesn't matter though - you clearly have used, and grown to distain the Windows Phone platform. You know it's ins-and-outs and can speak about its strengths *and* weaknesses - like CeeKay, for instance. Right, the point is it doesn't attract you enough to try it, right? (just trying to cut down on replies here, so I'll hold this conversation FOR you) Well, and I suppose that is Microsofts' failing for not enticing you.

I suppose that having a lackluster showing of product push at retail fronts has been a problem - hell, I can walk into a Rogers store ANYWHERE in Canada and I'd be lucky to find a single employee who actually knows what a Windows Phone can do, and how best to show off its features. Do you know why? Nokia (and in part, MS) have pushed to send people out to train employees on the product, and they've been refused.

So right now, the adoption rate is being hindered by a sales staff that has no idea how the product works.

Kids Zone? BEST USE EVER for any parent.
Lenses? Brilliant - access all camera apps from within your camera - GDR3 apparently will let you also select which default camera app gets loaded when you hit your camera button (but still be able to switch via lenses). That integration is two-way - when you're looking at pictures taken by a particular app, you can choose to edit that pic and it can open the app it was created in.
Xbox Games? Keeping games in their own area to find all of them works surprisingly well, and while there aren't enough games that get the XBL designation, the fact that they don't clutter your apps list is refreshing.

The integration with LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc is seamless, simple and unobtrusive - it's all baked in, and when using your contacts, groups or spaces it is a fantastic way to be able to use - and share- with minimal effort.

This is not some "super-phone" I'm talking about - it's the platform that just makes more sense. With the way that it could be segmented with login types- you could even keep your corporate work entirely separated from your personal use of the device - IMHO this is what MS needs to do to.

By owning the devices section of Nokia and shifting focus to delivering end-to-end product, it means they can work more closely on both sides, provide timely updates and grow the business unhindered by lines of business over design and implementation plans.

The Phablet I'm looking forward to is a 6" screen with the 1020 camera. Until that happens (and is within reach for me - I'm not made of money) I'm more than happy with my yellow Nokia Lumia 920.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:56:35 PM by Purge » Logged

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

I hope this works out for Microsoft. Though I'm going to stay with an iPhone for the foreseeable future, I like what I've seen of Windows Phone, and like the notion of having a decent platform out there to fall back to if I ever sour on iOS. My only problem with most of what Nokia's done recently is that the screens are too big. All phones seem to be heading that way, unfortunately. The iPhone 4 had the perfect screen. I could handle the iPhone 5 because it didn't make the phone wider. I imagine next year's iPhone 6 (or iPhone 6 family of phones, if my suspicions are correct) will be wider. Blech.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 09, 2013, 06:43:49 PM

I hope this works out for Microsoft. Though I'm going to stay with an iPhone for the foreseeable future, I like what I've seen of Windows Phone, and like the notion of having a decent platform out there to fall back to if I ever sour on iOS. My only problem with most of what Nokia's done recently is that the screens are too big. All phones seem to be heading that way, unfortunately. The iPhone 4 had the perfect screen. I could handle the iPhone 5 because it didn't make the phone wider. I imagine next year's iPhone 6 (or iPhone 6 family of phones, if my suspicions are correct) will be wider. Blech.

I do agree with this on a personal level. I doubt I'd ever get back into the shitshow environment that is Android, so I'd like to see a good usable alternative in case Apple does something to piss me off.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:04 AM »

Well, apparently PCMag's survey of actual business smartphone users puts Nokia on the top of the pile.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-dominates-pcmag-business-choice-awards2013

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 11, 2013, 02:44:04 AM

Well, apparently PCMag's survey of actual business smartphone users puts Nokia on the top of the pile.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-dominates-pcmag-business-choice-awards2013

"There is a flip side though. Nokia and Windows Phone in general had so little mass-deployment that IT administrators could not comment on its reliability for PCMagís survey"

So a very very small user base.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2013, 03:39:27 AM »

8% of Europe isn't "small" for a product that's not even been out for a year (Windows Phone 8 was just launched end of October 2012), or the 4-5% of US - the report shows that end users are happy with it, but company deployments across enterprises are so low that they couldn't rate it. They then go on to state that Delta Airlines is deploying it to almost 20k staff.

I think MS buying the Nokia devices branch makes a lot of sense. They need to "make the needle move" in that very market - MS needs the corporations to embrace their mobile OS. Frankly, I think their Win8 release last year hurt the phone platform - perhaps the 8.1 release on Oct. 16 might shift that - 8.1 is miles better than 8.0.

Market competition between WP8x devices is less important than WP8x adoption rate- so while HTC and Samsung have made devices, IMO it would be better that Nokia/MS are the mfgrs of the product, and MS takes the devices in the direction it needs to go.

Not having Balmer at the head of this may help as well. Changing of the guard can certainly help move a good product in a better direction, and force people to take a new look at something they'd already written off.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:43:37 AM by Purge » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:22 AM »

No offense, but any survey that doesn't publish an n for any of its results is worthless in any context.

And Delta isn't buying 19,000 Windows phones for its flight attendants to use for a standard purpose. They are buying approximately three phones per flight to use as a POS system. United uses a POS system on their flights from what seems to be the 1900s, but no one is counting that towards the smart phone wars, or anything at all really.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 11, 2013, 05:02:22 AM

No offense, but any survey that doesn't publish an n for any of its results is worthless in any context.

And Delta isn't buying 19,000 Windows phones for its flight attendants to use for a standard purpose. They are buying approximately three phones per flight to use as a POS system. United uses a POS system on their flights from what seems to be the 1900s, but no one is counting that towards the smart phone wars, or anything at all really.

Given the limitations of NFC used in WP8, I doubt that would be of any great technical advantage, or used to any significant impact (PR wise).

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »

Cortana digital assistant coming to Win phones.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2013, 03:50:41 AM »

More than just phones - it's a Win8x platform assistant - and apparently it has a home in the cloud (as a means of synching on devices).

Here's the source:

http://www.wpcentral.com/notification-center-and-multi-tile-select-coming-windows-phone-81

And in the first link, they suggest Windows 8.1 isn't coming out till 2014. Oct 18 is a fixed event - WindowsPhone 8.1 is slated for 2014 though.

At first, I thought the Cortana thing was kind of cheesy - you know, play on Halo which is a tentpole game for the MS brand - but then I thought about the concept of WHAT Cortana is - a personable AI who has the entire history of mankind in her databases (not THOSE, Hepcat). It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a killer app or not.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 04, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2013, 07:17:44 PM

Quote from: JCC on September 03, 2013, 02:09:01 PM

I look forward to the next wave of Windows phones... With mobile Kinect bundled in.

where you talk to it and it responds? slywink

picked up the Nokia 920 for 20 bucks last Black Friday, after 10 months I'm kinda glad I didn't pay more.  Battery life is hit or miss, cookies seem to vanish if I power if off for the night, gave up on finding a good substitute for iTunes for mp3 management.. it has some nifty stuff but I may pay the premium to go back to the iPhone.

The music management thing is totally right. You *can* manage the files via explorer, but the music app is lacking and is less than intuitive.

As for the cookies loss and battery life, I'd suggest turning off some of the advanced features (NFC tap). A big one is making sure you don't connect to hidden WiFi networks.

Personally I'd tell you to back up your stuff and reset it entirely. Do you have the GDR2 and Amber updates?

whoops, forgot to respond to this.  The battery life has been mostly stable the past week or so, and I didn't do anything to the phone.  of course in a few weeks it may be back to draining quickly with no changes done by me, that is the usual pattern and the fact that as far as I can tell I don't make any changes makes it even crazier.  as for the updates, AT&T has yet to release either for the 920.  they are supposedly coming in 'the next couple of weeks', and I've heard rumors that they are stripping out a bunch of stuff that they'd rather charge for.

oh, and my camera flash is apparently dead.  not sure if it got banged up or if it is something whacky with the phone software.  I'm assuming the former.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: