http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MPAA sued...by Torrentspy?  (Read 589 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:49:53 PM »

Yes, I can't make this stuff up:

A lawsuit filed Wednesday accuses the Motion Picture Association of America of hiring a hacker to steal information from a company that the MPAA has accused of helping copyright violators.

The lawsuit (click for PDF), filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California by Torrentspy.com parent Valence Media, doesn't identify the man the company says was approached by an MPAA executive. But the suit calls the man a former associate of one of the plaintiffs and alleges that he was asked to retrieve private information on Torrentspy.com, a search engine that directs people to download links.

Torrentspy's complaint includes claims that the man whom the MPAA allegedly paid $15,000 to steal e-mail correspondence and trade secrets has admitted his role in the plot and is cooperating with the company.

"It is a Hollywood drama, what happened here," Ira Rothken, Torrentspy's attorney, said in a telephone interview Wednesday evening.

"We have very significant proof of wrongdoing and the MPAA's involvement," Rothken said. "We think it's ironic for the MPAA to claim that they are protecting the rights of the movie studios and then go out and pirate other people's property."

---
Personally, I think that the MPAA's 'power' should be removed one way or another. I'm just not sure if this is the best way it could have happened. Still funny as heck though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »

Hope Torrentspy wins.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:57 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how likely are you to get in trouble using torrent programs?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:33:19 AM »

It all depends on what you have downloaded.

Torrents are actually pretty common with download sites now and can be used to download plenty of legitimate material.

But there's just as much, and probably more illegitimate material out there on torrent networks.

There seriously needs to be more accountability for corporations, other than simply monetary.  These are criminal acts and a few million in fines is just a drop in the bucket.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Just out of curiosity, how likely are you to get in trouble using torrent programs?

Turtle sums it up well, but I'll also add the following:

It's most risky (unless you know your ISP ignores the MPAA, like some still do) IMHO to pull any recently released movies, music, or TV shows that are going to become DVD releases. That is what they're mostly after when it comes to BitTorrent.

The odds are still against you ever getting caught, but that is what they're focusing upon most.

Of course, I still have to say that using BitTorrent for illegal uses is just wrong, immoral, and you'll go to hell for doing it or something. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: