http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mp3 players  (Read 927 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »

So, my 3-year-old iPod looks like it's about to go belly up so I'm in the market for a new mp3 player.  Here are my considerations:

I use iTunes.  I would prefer to continue using iTunes because I like the way it manages podcasts, although I think the rest of the interface is pretty mediocre.  I'm willing to use different software if it the advantages outweigh the convenience of continuing to use iTunes.  Does iTunes only work with Apple products now, or can other players use it?

I rarely buy from the iTunes store because of high prices and restrictive DRM, so that's not a consideration.  My current player doesn't have video, but I would consider getting one that does.  I probably have about 15 gigs of music now, and would need larger capacity if I went the video route.

I would prefer not to go Zune.  I am on my third 360.  Although that may not be representative of Microsoft's overall level of product reliability, I would imaging that their abysmal customer service applies across the board.  I would consider it however if someone tells me that the Zune is OMG BEST EVAR and costs nearly nothing.

I am considering waiting until June and picking up one of the new iPhones.  I don't know if I would want my phone to be my primary music player however.

I want a good bargain, but quality wins out over price.  Put me about one level below gellar as far as not caring how I spend my money.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:02:08 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »

I have the Creative Zen V and I really like it.

Has a great feature set and it's tiny. I see people walking around with these big giant Ipods on their arms and think they look ridiculous.  They may as well be carrying a ghettoblaster.

If you have itunes specific music, looks like you're stuck with an ipod...

Edit: Actually mine is a Zen V Plus .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:26:52 PM by ATB » Logged
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »

I was a Zen guy with my first 2 mp3 players but earlier this year I couldn't find a good video capable Zen at any of the online stores so I went with the Zune.  After bitching about the software for the first week until I figured out the settings and where certain shit was located at compared to itunes I'm liking it quite a lot now.  You have to find a lot of RSS feeds for podcasts that aren't in their listing but that's not that big of a deal and there are a few features it still really needs compared to what I had on my Zen like a damn clock and the ability to delete stuff directly from the player without having to connect it to a PC.  The interface is a lot better than the Zen's interface was and the unit is very light and durable after dropping it when getting out of my truck about a half dozen times now, I keep forgetting that the headphones are attached to me and the Zune is laying on the seat and not in my pocket.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 19, 2008, 01:48:01 PM

I would prefer not to go Zune.  I am on my third 360.  Although that may not be representative of Microsoft's overall level of product reliability, I would imaging that their abysmal customer service applies across the board.  I would consider it however if someone tells me that the Zune is OMG BEST EVAR and costs nearly nothing.

I own a Zune 30, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It's a great quality product, the support is top-notch, and podcast support has gotten much better.  There's even a hack somewhere that will let you use iTunes to manage your library for it.

The one thing that I would say makes the Zune stad out, IMO, is the fact that regardless of the generation of player, you'll get most of the new features with a firmware update for the older players as well.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

I have a 15GB Zen and probably wouldn't get another.  It's got a lot of great features and menu options, but they come at the cost of an interface and button set that is difficult to use in the dark and near impossible to use while driving so I just always have it on shuffle.  Also, I have to use a paper clip it manually reset it way more than I feel is reasonable.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

Sounds like you need to pick yourself up an Ipod Touch.  I'm actually really interested in the Samsung P2.  It's a little cheaper than the Touch, comes with a nice big, touch screen  and it has been getting a lot of firmware updates which has really upgraded the functionality.  The next update comes with subway maps (and possibly train times?) for major world cities.  And best of all, you can drag and drop music directly onto the player without need of software and you can delete songs directly from the player.  My Sony 20GB is still only a couple years old and still working great so I think I'm going to stick with it despite desperately wanting to fulfill my insatiable technogeek urges.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

If you want to use iTunes, then get an iPod Video... 80gb... have room to grow...

I have a Zune, and it's okay, but the PC software kind of blows, and I had to send the first one back... it went pretty smoothly, but still...  if I hadn't gotten it for under $100, I would be pissed.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 19, 2008, 02:55:42 PM

The next update comes with subway maps (and possibly train times?) for major world cities.

Ooh, that sounds awesome.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »

If all you care about is MP3 playback, why not just get another iPod?  Failing that, I'd either wait for the next generation of iPhones (supposedly due out in June) or rock an Archos.

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/index.html?country=global&lang=en

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »

I have no problem getting another iPod and will probably wind up going that route.  Ipods are a little expensive and I just thought I would ask if there's anything better out there.  I suppose what I really need it for is to listen to music/podcasts at the gym/work.  Those Archoses look cool, but seem like more of a device for watching TV on the subway.

Gamertag = IkeV
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 19, 2008, 04:01:56 PM

I have no problem getting another iPod.  I just thought I would ask if there's anything better out there.  I suppose what I really need it for is to listen to music/podcasts at the gym/work.  Those Archoses look cool, but seem like more of a device for watching TV on the subway.

Ah yeah... that being the case then, I wouldn't even consider a touchscreen device like a Touch, iPhone, or Archos.  I still use my regular iPod for running cause I need the clicky wheel to skip past songs and screw with the volume.  Really there are a lot of good MP3 players out there, but I've yet to find one better than Apples.  Yeah you pay a premium for them, but they are good devices.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

I got a Zune the bigger one and I really love it. Sure some things aren't quite up to iPod levels but it does what I want it to do. The updates for the Zune software have come out well and it's getting better slowly but surely anyway. Podcasts are pretty flawless and wireless syncing is great on the go, set your Zune and it'll download the newest podcasts before you leave and you don't even have to hook it up to your PC to do it. Also has kind of gapless playback, not perfect but better than the iPod. Also I just saw a commercial recently for 16 dollar a month unlimited downloads threw the Zune store. Not totally sure how well that works or if everything is DRM ridden which I'm sure it is but it seems pretty cool.

Anyway, I really like the Zune the touchpad thing is actually rather intuitive and the UI is nice, the software has some short comings but that is being ironed out. Overall I really like it and I like the bigger screen than on the iPods and overall just like it more. I'd say watch Woot! and see if they do one of there deals for a refurbished 30gig or something for under 100 bucks. I've had a great experience with mine.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »

Yeah, I also have a Zune and really like it.  Some friends that only had IPods checked it out when they visited a couple months ago and they even commented that they really liked the interface. 

The PC software leaves some things to be desired (a few options I would like are not there), but the most recent update has helped.  The fact that they still support the older ones with new firmware updates/features is a huge plus in my book. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 19, 2008, 04:18:03 PM

Also I just saw a commercial recently for 16 dollar a month unlimited downloads threw the Zune store. Not totally sure how well that works or if everything is DRM ridden which I'm sure it is but it seems pretty cool.

It works great - there's a handful of songs that you still can't get, irritatingly, but it's very easy to use.  It is DRM'd so that if you stop paying the subscription, you lose access to those songs 30 days later.  My justification is that "Well - I buy at least a CD a month, so if I just subscribe instead..."  which is, I'm sure, exactly how the marketers want me to think about it.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 05:49:59 PM »

Another Zune owner here (1st generation) and I have to say - I love my Zune.  smile

Just as an aside - I am selling an 8gb i-Pod Touch if you are interested Ike - Brand new, sealed, in the box.  Check out the trading forum or pm me if you want. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

As much as I hate Creative as a whole, I purchased a Creative Zen and it's a fantastic device. Plays lots of video types without transferring them into another format, it's easy to transfer your music (just drag and drop folders via Creative's program and it'll make playlists for you), and it's cheaper than Apple's offering (as far as the Flash based ones go anyway). And it also has an impressive sound chip inside - so grab that expensive headset. You'll be able to tell the difference.

I love it. And I thank Warning for selling me his. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: