http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:42:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you love that everyone else hates...  (Read 8699 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

Cabin Boy.  Love it.

"Wanna buy a monkey?"

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

I got four:

Sucker Punch - LOVED it. Everyone I know HATES it. Go figure.
Cutthroat Island - Before Johnny Depp's CGI Pirates, this was hands down the best pirate movie out there.
Hudson Hawk - Mentioned here before, but as dumb as it is, I think it's a great movie. The little dog catching the ball shot out of a cannon still cracks me up.
Bitch Slap - A pulp fiction/grindhouse kind of movie with no redeeming value other than hot babes with big breasts.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »

Some new ones to add to my list:

Tron: Legacy:  Being a big fan of the original, I went to see Legacy in IMAX 3D and simply loved it.  The visuals were stunning, the soundtrack was phenomenal, and the action sequences were cool as hell.  It gets pretty regular viewings in my house, at least when the wife isn't around.   ninja  She hates everything Tron.   disgust

Avatar:  I thought it was groundbreaking with its utilization of 3D, and despite people panning it for being derivative of so many films before it, few films today offer completely original storylines, usually taking inspiration from any number of predecessors.  It was on TV last night and despite it not being in 3D and having to sit through commercials (despite having it on DVD myself), I still watched it from start to finish and enjoyed the ride.  EDIT: Universally loved by all and therefore rendered ineligible for this discussion.  

Walking Tall:  It is simply a bad movie.  But I continue to find Dwayne Johnson to be charismatic and fun to watch.  It's a personal favorite of my wife's and we watch it far more often than it deserves.  And we still enjoy it.

Troy:  For some reason I just enjoy this movie.  Any time it's on TV I'll have it on in the background while studying or working on something, and before long I start to pay more attention to what's on screen than what I was previously doing.  I can't even really put my finger on it, and while I wouldn't say I "love" it, I at least enjoy watching it.

The Rundown:  Dwayne Johnson and Stiffler together just make a fun, amusing pair.  It has action, humor, a bit of exploration, and Christopher Walken.  What more do you need?

Sahara:  Having read the Dirk Pitt story, the film should piss me off to no end.  But, what can I say, it's a fun ride.  Mcconaughey and Zahn work well together, William H. Macy plays a great Sandecker, and it's pretty much an adventurous romp through the desert.

Rocky Balboa:  Love it.  Simply love it.  I equate it to the original Rocky and can watch it at any moment.  Perhaps even right now.

Over The Top:  Classic arm wrestling at its absolute best.  "I drive truck, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best." - Bob "Bull" Hurley.  How can you not love that?

Miami Vice:  Many just didn't like this movie.  Not sure if it was the casting, Mann's filming style, or the story, but for me it was a nice homage to the original TV series and I really enjoy it.  

I,Robot:  Asimov aside, it's fun sci-fi with Will Smith.  I've always enjoyed him as an actor and can sit through this any time it's on TV.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra:  The first time I saw it I hated it.  But recently the wife and a few friends wanted to watch it, so we did.  And it was a lot more fun than I remember.  I could easily watch it again and plan to in anticipation of the sequel.

Brotherhood of the Wolf:  My wife hates this movie more than any other film I've ever made her sit through.  She despises it.  I love it.  The fight scene in the rain is just too effing cool, especially with the surround sound cranked to 11.  

A Knight's Tale:  Pure fun.  Between the soundtrack, jousting, and humor, I never get tired of it.  

The A-Team:  A lot of people didn't like it.  My wife, brother-in-law, and I recently watched it again together and it's just as much fun as I remember.  The action is ridiculous, the humor is funny, and it's just an entertaining film.  

Holy hell do I like a lot of bad movies.   icon_redface

At least Van Helsing isn't on the list.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:28:24 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2012, 06:05:42 PM

Some new ones to add to my list:

Tron: Legacy:  Being a big fan of the original, I went to see Legacy in IMAX 3D and simply loved it.  The visuals were stunning, the soundtrack was phenomenal, and the action sequences were cool as hell.  It gets pretty regular viewings in my house, at least when the wife isn't around.   ninja  She hates everything Tron.   disgust

Avatar:  I thought it was groundbreaking with its utilization of 3D, and despite people panning it for being derivative of so many films before it, few films today offer completely original storylines, usually taking inspiration from any number of predecessors.  It was on TV last night and despite it not being in 3D and having to sit through commercials (despite having it on DVD myself), I still watched it from start to finish and enjoyed the ride. 

Walking Tall:  It is simply a bad movie.  But I continue to find Dwayne Johnson to be charismatic and fun to watch.  It's a personal favorite of my wife's and we watch it far more often than it deserves.  And we still enjoy it.

Troy:  For some reason I just enjoy this movie.  Any time it's on TV I'll have it on in the background while studying or working on something, and before long I start to pay more attention to what's on screen than what I was previously doing.  I can't even really put my finger on it, and while I wouldn't say I "love" it, I at least enjoy watching it.

The Rundown:  Dwayne Johnson and Stiffler together just make a fun, amusing pair.  It has action, humor, a bit of exploration, and Christopher Walken.  What more do you need?

Sahara:  Having read the Dirk Pitt story, the film should piss me off to no end.  But, what can I say, it's a fun ride.  Mcconaughey and Zahn work well together, William H. Macy plays a great Sandecker, and it's pretty much an adventurous romp through the desert.

Rocky Balboa:  Love it.  Simply love it.  I equate it to the original Rocky and can watch it at any moment.  Perhaps even right now.

Over The Top:  Classic arm wrestling at its absolute best.  "I drive truck, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best." - Bob "Bull" Hurley.  How can you not love that?

Miami Vice:  Many just didn't like this movie.  Not sure if it was the casting, Mann's filming style, or the story, but for me it was a nice homage to the original TV series and I really enjoy it. 

I,Robot:  Asimov aside, it's fun sci-fi with Will Smith.  I've always enjoyed him as an actor and can sit through this any time it's on TV.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra:  The first time I saw it I hated it.  But recently the wife and a few friends wanted to watch it, so we did.  And it was a lot more fun than I remember.  I could easily watch it again and plan to in anticipation of the sequel.

Brotherhood of the Wolf:  My wife hates this movie more than any other film I've ever made her sit through.  She despises it.  I love it.  The fight scene in the rain is just too effing cool, especially with the surround sound cranked to 11. 

A Knight's Tale:  Pure fun.  Between the soundtrack, jousting, and humor, I never get tired of it. 

The A-Team:  A lot of people didn't like it.  My wife, brother-in-law, and I recently watched it again together and it's just as much fun as I remember.  The action is ridiculous, the humor is funny, and it's just an entertaining film. 

Holy hell do I like a lot of bad movies.   icon_redface

At least Van Helsing isn't on the list.   icon_twisted

Your list sucks because most of those movies aren't bad at all. They may not be great but they aren't bad (except  for Over the Top and GI Joe, WTF man).

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 02, 2012, 06:12:36 PM

Your list sucks because most of those movies aren't bad at all. They may not be great but they aren't bad (except  for Over the Top and GI Joe, WTF man).

A lot of people don't like them.  I'm not even talking critics, but general intarweb dislike.  Some of these films have started flame wars, in some cases reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap, so in terms of "movies you love that others hate", there has been a lot of hate directed toward almost all films on my list.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on May 02, 2012, 05:51:58 PM

I didn't really enjoy it but if you pinned me to the wall and forced me to tell you why, I couldn't.  It has everything I should like in a film:  an incredibly hot leading lady, mechs, zombie nazis, giant samurais and Zack Snyder channeling 300 yet again...but it fails for some reason I can't fathom.   icon_confused  It's like a recipe for something you really, really like...but one crucial ingredient is left out and you can't re  member what it was.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

Tremors rocked.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 02, 2012, 06:36:30 PM

I didn't really enjoy it but if you pinned me to the wall and forced me to tell you why, I couldn't.  It has everything I should like in a film:  an incredibly hot leading lady, mechs, zombie nazis, giant samurais and Zack Snyder channeling 300 yet again...but it fails for some reason I can't fathom.   icon_confused  It's like a recipe for something you really, really like...but one crucial ingredient is left out and you can't re  member what it was.

I felt like the movie was like a Final Fantasy game-  great cutscenes but the gameplay wasn't my thing.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »

This movie did indeed suck. I have tried to watch it at least 4 times and I just can't get through it. The movie to me seems like it was written by a horny 15 year old boy and then sent directly to the director and he did his best not to change anything. The main character is all but silent throughout the entire movie and has a blank facial expression most of the time, so it's hard to relate to her other than feeling sorry for her. On top of that, the action was WAY over the top, but not in a good way that at least made a minimal amount of sense. The whole time she's in lala fighting land I'm asking myself, WTF does this have to do with dancing, and in reality is she flipping out all over the room. But I could never get the answer because I couldn't hang in there until the end of the movie and I really didn't care to find out.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

I enjoyed Tooth Fairy.

And One of the Chipmunks movies. Also, a couple of the "Buddies" movies.

When you're forced to watch them, it's actually not as bad as you think it is.

Same thing with the Justin Beiber movie. Not my taste in music, but the kid is talented and covers a lot of how he became a household name through social media.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »

Over the Top was great 80's cheese.

Because I can,
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 02, 2012, 06:52:03 PM

This movie did indeed suck. I have tried to watch it at least 4 times and I just can't get through it. The movie to me seems like it was written by a horny 15 year old boy and then sent directly to the director and he did his best not to change anything. The main character is all but silent throughout the entire movie and has a blank facial expression most of the time, so it's hard to relate to her other than feeling sorry for her. On top of that, the action was WAY over the top, but not in a good way that at least made a minimal amount of sense. The whole time she's in lala fighting land I'm asking myself, WTF does this have to do with dancing, and in reality is she flipping out all over the room. But I could never get the answer because I couldn't hang in there until the end of the movie and I really didn't care to find out.

LOL, see? I rest my case. icon_razz
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2012, 06:15:01 PM

A lot of people don't like them.  I'm not even talking critics, but general intarweb dislike.  Some of these films have started flame wars, in some cases reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap, so in terms of "movies you love that others hate", there has been a lot of hate directed toward almost all films on my list.

Heh. But the thread title is "Movies YOU love that everyone else HATES." You listed Avatar! It's literally the highest grossing movie of all time; second highest if you adjust for inflation. I don't think that meets the criteria. Turns out, a lot of people liked Avatar.  icon_lol
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on May 03, 2012, 12:05:03 AM

Your list sucks because most of those movies aren't bad at all. They may not be great but they aren't bad (except  for Over the Top and GI Joe, WTF man).

A lot of people don't like them.  I'm not even talking critics, but general intarweb dislike.  Some of these films have started flame wars, in some cases reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap, so in terms of "movies you love that others hate", there has been a lot of hate directed toward almost all films on my list.

Heh. But the thread title is "Movies YOU love that everyone else HATES." You listed Avatar! It's literally the highest grossing movie of all time; second highest if you adjust for inflation. I don't think that meets the criteria. Turns out, a lot of people liked Avatar.  icon_lol

I was thinking back to the hate voiced in here and wrongly extrapolated that to mean "everyone else."  

Appreciate the clarification of the rules for this discussion.  I inadvertently took too many liberties in interpretation and did not realize "everyone else" was to be taken very literally and not as mere exaggeration.

Edited original post to reflect the oversight.

But if we're too limiting on the terms then that mostly just leaves us the Nicolas Cage library, and where's the fun in that?   icon_wink
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:35:45 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 03, 2012, 12:19:37 AM

Quote from: GuidoTKP on May 03, 2012, 12:05:03 AM

Your list sucks because most of those movies aren't bad at all. They may not be great but they aren't bad (except  for Over the Top and GI Joe, WTF man).

A lot of people don't like them.  I'm not even talking critics, but general intarweb dislike.  Some of these films have started flame wars, in some cases reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap, so in terms of "movies you love that others hate", there has been a lot of hate directed toward almost all films on my list.

Heh. But the thread title is "Movies YOU love that everyone else HATES." You listed Avatar! It's literally the highest grossing movie of all time; second highest if you adjust for inflation. I don't think that meets the criteria. Turns out, a lot of people liked Avatar.  icon_lol

I was thinking back to the hate voiced in here and wrongly extrapolated that to mean "everyone else."  

Appreciate the clarification of the rules for this discussion.  I inadvertently took too many liberties in interpretation and did not realize "everyone else" was to be taken very literally and not as mere exaggeration.

Edited original post to reflect the oversight.

But if we're too limiting on the terms then that mostly just leaves us the Nicolas Cage library, and where's the fun in that?   icon_wink

Your list still sucks since it contains a ton of movies that are universally known to be awesome. Rocky Balboa, Troy, The Rundown, Walking Tall, The A-Team, all movies that are loved by men who wear the pants in the family. I'm just not willing to meet you on Gi Joe.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 03, 2012, 01:20:00 AM

I'm just not willing to meet you on Gi Joe.

Yet that's one of the only titles in my list that actually fits your thread standards, making it one of the only "right" movies.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2012, 03:15:43 AM »

Frankly if this
I'm not even talking critics, but general intarweb dislike.
is your criteria, then pretty much any movie qualifies.  Im not sure Ive ever seen a movie that didnt get some serious internet hate.  And remember, a small minority of haters can be overwhelmingly vocal on the internet.

Oh and Tremors was a very fun movie that spawned several sequels and a tv series or two.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »

Pretty much every Uwe Boll movie.

Not sure who all these people are that say suck Avatar, Troy, and Tron sucked from Pete's list, but add them to mine as well, especially Troy.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 05, 2012, 12:46:36 PM

Pretty much every Uwe Boll movie.

Not sure who all these people are that say suck Avatar, Troy, and Tron sucked from Pete's list, but add them to mine as well, especially Troy.

I say Tron sucks, but I don't think it is hated by the majority. Of course I only saw it in 2D, so a 3D viewing may improve the movie.

xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2012, 06:05:42 PM

Brotherhood of the Wolf:  My wife hates this movie more than any other film I've ever made her sit through.  She despises it.  I love it.  The fight scene in the rain is just too effing cool, especially with the surround sound cranked to 11.  

I love this movie as well.  In fact you have inspired me to watch my DVD this weekend, been a long time since my last viewing. 

Dune one of my all-time favorites.  I can quote the entire movie.  Although Lynch clearly changes a few things from the book, I think the "feel" is spot on.  "Long live the fighters!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: