http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you love that everyone else hates...  (Read 8681 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »

One that I am watching right now would be Lake Placid.  It's such a terrible B movie, but I like it for some reason and always seem to watch it when it's on TV. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 22, 2008, 11:53:34 PM

"THAT'S A LOTTA NUTS!!" is a popular quote around our house, as is the "weee-oooo-weeeee-oooo" noise.  A buddy of mine even busted out the "My nipples look like Milk Duds!" line the other day, and I damn near choked on my drink.

There's enough quotables in that movie that I can never remember them all, but both the nuts line and the wee-ooo-weeeee-ooo stuff is common for our group too. As is humming along with a movie's music during dramatic scenes. Oh, and the "E.. Evil Council?" and "Now batting, MIKE PIAZZA!" thing.

Yeah there's too many to remember.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »

Last night I was reminded of a movie that I have to watch whenever it's on:  Soldier.  I can't help it.  I like Kurt Russell movies.  Plus, he plays the entire film with such a blank expression that I'm fascinated by him everytime he appears on screen.

...god help me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 23, 2008, 08:54:50 PM

Last night I was reminded of a movie that I have to watch whenever it's on:  Soldier.  I can't help it.  I like Kurt Russell movies.  Plus, he plays the entire film with such a blank expression that I'm fascinated by him everytime he appears on screen.

...god help me.

I agree

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

Speaking of Bruce Willis movies, I'll add The Last Boy Scout to the list.  That one always amuses me, plus it has Halle Berry doing a strip tease.  smile

I'll admit to playing Numerous Rounds of Drinking Games watching Hudson Hawk  icon_cry

Spawn of OO Collective
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2008, 12:08:24 AM »

Quote from: chaosraven on August 23, 2008, 09:39:09 PM

Speaking of Bruce Willis movies, I'll add The Last Boy Scout to the list.  That one always amuses me, plus it has Halle Berry doing a strip tease.  smile

I'll admit to playing Numerous Rounds of Drinking Games watching Hudson Hawk  icon_cry

I had a Hudson Hawk t-shirt that lasted most of the 90's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 23, 2008, 09:03:03 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 23, 2008, 08:54:50 PM

...god help me.

I agree

icon_redface  whoops...sorry. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »

I find that The Long Kiss Goodnight and Conspiracy Theory make a good double-feature.

And add me to the list of proud owners of Kingdom of Heaven's Director's Cut.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2009, 05:17:21 AM »

I think I just found a new one to add to the list. 

Stark Raving Mad

It's a goofy little heist movie from 2002 that takes place with a vault robbery underneath a rave held in Chinatown.  It has Seann William Scott as the lead who breaks the Fourth Wall, Lou Diamond Phillips as a white-haired gangster, Adam Arkin as a club owner, and Dave Foley beating the crap out of someone. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

My number one would probably be Lost in Translation. Loved it, bought the DVD, have watched it multiple times. I've met so many people who loathe that movie and think it's a boring waste of time. I thought it was brilliant.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 19, 2009, 04:04:21 PM

My number one would probably be Lost in Translation. Loved it, bought the DVD, have watched it multiple times. I've met so many people who loathe that movie and think it's a boring waste of time. I thought it was brilliant.

i liked the movie,but i haven't seen it since i saw it at the Cinema

Alien 3

after the first two movies,going to see this at the pictures,i had high hopes..i came out very disappointed in it,however i have watched it many times since,and though it comes nowhere near the first and second films,it is i think still a great film..it just took a few watch throughs to get there

Rambo III

i remember really hating this film when i first saw it on VHS,but i watched it a few months ago,and i enjoyed it,sure it was over the top bullshit,but just turn off your brain and go along with the ride

Kingpin

now,everytime i read a review for this,it gets slated...some friends also didn't like it,Sure its a grossout movie,but its the Farrelly brothers,its what they do...i loved Bill Murray,Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid in it
stand out moment is when Woody Harrelson is drinking milk from a bucket and he tells the Amish people who he is staying with that he has milked their cow...and they tell him they they don't have a cow....but they have a Bull!!...Woody replies-i just gotta go brush my teeth icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2009, 06:05:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 19, 2009, 04:39:10 PM

Rambo III

i remember really hating this film when i first saw it on VHS,but i watched it a few months ago,and i enjoyed it,sure it was over the top bullshit,but just turn off your brain and go along with the ride

how could you not love Rambo versus the Soviet Army?  I think you're crackers on the other two though.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »

I liked Hollowman.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »

The second Matrix movie.

The chase scene in the middle with the semi collision is amazing.  I also liked the part at the end with the architect.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 20, 2009, 07:29:54 PM

The second Matrix movie.

The chase scene in the middle with the semi collision is amazing.  I also liked the part at the end with the architect.
I enjoyed it as well . . . even the architect part (maybe my favorite part).  No, it wasn't as good as the first and had some clunky scenes (did we really need another dojo fight?) and frankly I never thought that the Matrix needed sequels -- it worked best as a stand alone movie in my opinion.  But, I was intrigued by the 2nd movie.  Not enough to see the 3rd movie until it came out on TNT, however.  I guess that's a good sign it wasn't a great success (I was also very afraid to find out how NEO stopped the machines in the real world).   
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »

Was Kingpin hated?  I liked that movie a lot.  Not a work of genius maybe, but I actually saw it twice in the theater.  One of Bill Murray's best performances in my opinion.  

Okay, I just looked it up on rotten tomatoes, it was indeed pretty much hated. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:57:42 PM by iloveplywood » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »

I have enjoyed the Resident Evil movies, especially the first one. Alien 3 as well. Maybe love is a little strong, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

Kingdom of Heaven - I don't know if you can say everyone hated this.  The Director's Cut is one of the best movies I've seen in the last 20 years.

In in with jblank on the Matrix Revolutions/Reloaded and Alien Resurrection movies.  They're all good entertainment.  I just think they had the disadvantage of being lesser sequels to greater movies.

I also agree with Jeff on Signs, War of the Worlds and Wyatt Earp.  All decent flicks.

I also liked JFK, if just for the presentation of the story.  It was remarkable.

I'm a sucker for disaster movies, so I like to watch The Day After Tomorrow, Twister, Armageddon, Dante's Peak and Volcano.  Heck, I'm eagerly looking forward to 2012.  Ignore the science and just watch 'em for the action and special effects.

Vanilla Sky got a 39% Tomatometer, but I really like that movie.  And I don't like Tom Cruise.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 20, 2009, 08:32:13 PM

I have enjoyed the Resident Evil movies, especially the first one. Alien 3 as well. Maybe love is a little strong, though.

I LOVE the Resident Evil movies...every single on of them... As for Aliens 3?? Why the hate for that? That should be reserved for Alien 4, which was a blight on the series...gods I hated the last 2 thirds of that movie...

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 20, 2009, 08:34:02 PM

Quote from: Teggy on July 20, 2009, 08:32:13 PM

I LOVE the Resident Evil movies...every single on of them... As for Aliens 3?? Why the hate for that? That should be reserved for Alien 4, which was a blight on the series...gods I hated the last 2 thirds of that movie...

A lot of people didn't like Alien 3 because they kill off Hicks and Newt before the movie has even really started, and it was a big change from Aliens. There are also a lot of interesting Alien 3 scripts out there that people wanted to see. Me, I like David Fincher and I like the movie for what it is. Alien Resurrection is an abomination. I was so excited when it came out and it was such a letdown.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »

I liked AvP2: Requiem. They definitely pulled no punches with that one.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2009, 09:00:45 PM

I dont think I ever laughed quite as hard in a "horror" movie as in this one..gods I loved, its pure violence, and..well, they dont hold back, not even on the characters you are SURE will survive..I do fondly remember one particulary annoying girl that ends up speared to the wall...I was in a bit of a shock when I first saw that...really didnt see that one coming :-D

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2009, 02:41:23 AM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on July 20, 2009, 07:55:54 PM

Was Kingpin hated?  I liked that movie a lot.  Not a work of genius maybe, but I actually saw it twice in the theater.  One of Bill Murray's best performances in my opinion.  

Okay, I just looked it up on rotten tomatoes, it was indeed pretty much hated. 

that makes me sadder crybaby

i think i will get the DVD down to watch

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2009, 03:55:06 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 14, 2008, 03:52:23 PM

Kung Pow:  Enter the Fist - I could watch this movie a hundred times and it would still make me laugh

This.
Every time I lend the DVD out, I get strange looks when it gets returned.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 20, 2009, 09:05:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2009, 09:00:45 PM

I dont think I ever laughed quite as hard in a "horror" movie as in this one..gods I loved, its pure violence, and..well, they dont hold back, not even on the characters you are SURE will survive..I do fondly remember one particulary annoying girl that ends up speared to the wall...I was in a bit of a shock when I first saw that...really didnt see that one coming :-D

God, I laughed so hard through almost that whole movie. The only bummer was 24's Michelle Dessler living through the whole thing. She was clearly one of the two "hero" characters and I wanted the movie to go full-bore-crazy and actually kill her and the dude too. I wanted the whiny pizza place manager to be the one dude to survive, just because.

Alas, I had to settle for general laughter at some of the best "so awful it's actually kind of good" acting and writing in years.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

There's a much maligned Chuck Norris movie from 1982 called "Silent Rage."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084684/
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/02/movies/chuck-norris-in-silent-rage.html

But when I was 17 and saw it at military base theaters in South Korea? I LOVED it!  icon_cool In fact, I think I saw it 3 times (movies were like $2-$3 there). And in fact, everyone else hates it to this day. So, I think it suits this thread well, even if my current opinion of it is perhaps now what it was when I was pimply faced teen.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

Repo: The Genetic Opera

Not a movie I went into expecting to like.
1. It has 'Opera' in the name.
2. It stars Paris Hilton
3. It was listed as one of the worst movies of 2008 on at least one critic's list. In this day and age, with the kind of top notch drivel that Hollywood produces, that's a HUGE accomplishment to be that bad on anyone's list.

However...
1. Dystopian Future
2. Original Story
3. Some really good songs
4. Anthony Stewart Head from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

= I enjoyed it.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »

Lots of movies in here that I liked.

My bro made me watch Kung-Pow. I complained about it at first and thought it was terrible but with time I grew to appreciate what it was. Kinda. We still bust out a random quote from it occasionally when somewhere together.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 20, 2009, 08:33:00 PM

I'm a sucker for disaster movies, so I like to watch The Day After Tomorrow, Twister, Armageddon, Dante's Peak and Volcano.  Heck, I'm eagerly looking forward to 2012.  Ignore the science and just watch 'em for the action and special effects.

I forgot about the disaster genre - I'm in as well for The Day After Tomorrow and Armageddon.   nod

I've gotten to like Brendan Fraser a lot, partly by watching these two films (which I watched because of the other actors in them): Scout with Fraser and Albert Brooks, and Blast From the Past with Fraser and Christopher Walken.  I don't know if anyone hated either of those, but I know they got far less than stellar reviews, but I've seen them both at least twice.   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2012, 06:39:09 AM »

so who all hates Van Helsing? slywink

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2012, 06:39:09 AM

It's 3 years old!! Dammit Ceekay, this necroforumia is a dangerous practice!

Anyways, my choice would be Van Helsing - what a brilliant movie, and of course, Wolverine is as awesome as ever in it. I guess, like Ceekay mentioned earlier, its all the ridiculous things they cram into a single that makes it work for me. It has vampires, witches, secret catholic cabals, gypsies who are the keepers of greater truths, werewolves, Frankenstein, and it even starts out in Black & White? Simply awesome!

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »

I don't mind Van Helsing and I even bought it for 1 reason or another; oh yeah I remember, it was on sale for the cost of a rental and their was no netflix or online streaming back then. My nephew's a much bigger fan of it so my copies in his hands for safe keeping. slywink  Two films I enjoy that people seem to despise are:

Max Payne and the 2nd Dungeons & Dragons movie, Wrath of the Dragon King.

Just not sure why I like both of them, but I do.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

You refer to "Van Cleavage" do you not?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Crux on May 02, 2012, 11:52:47 AM

You refer to "Van Cleavage" do you not?

That helped keep the movie afloat. unibrow

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

Tremors.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »

I don't think anybody hates Tremors.   

And if they do they should be fed to the Graboids.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on May 02, 2012, 12:45:51 PM

Must be the crowd I hang with. Even people I've recommended see Tremors have yet to forgive me.
 icon_biggrin
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »

Most of the people I know love Tremors.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 02, 2012, 12:48:11 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on May 02, 2012, 12:45:51 PM

Must be the crowd I hang with. Even people I've recommended see Tremors have yet to forgive me.
 icon_biggrin

Those people are fools.  Tremors is great.

By the same token, my friend and I saw Brazil when it first came out and loved it so much we dragged a group of friends to it.  They HATED it.  Brazil.

It started me on a theory that only bad movies work with large groups of people.  For example, I went with a large group to see Spice World.  We had a blast.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »

I don't know if everyone hates Mars Attacks but I love that movie. It's brilliantly cheesy.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: