http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:11:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you hate that everyone else loves  (Read 13436 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2008, 02:36:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 15, 2008, 01:21:53 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 15, 2008, 01:17:17 AM

Quote from: cheeba on August 15, 2008, 12:48:23 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 14, 2008, 02:46:32 PM

My gripe is with the twisted, odd storyline.  It was awful.
This is just a weird gripe to me. You like a movie where the storyline is that a big ass magical cube in space comes to earth and big ass living good and evil robots who can change into an alternate, inferior mechanical shape come to earth to fight for it, but you hate a movie where a guy who is designated as the leader of Halloween Town wants to be something more and experience Christmas?

You oversimplify.  The weird sock monster, the abusive scientist with his frankenstien geisha, etc.  It was too twisted and "off" for me to gain any enjoyment out of it.

that was kind of the point.  they lived in HALLOWEEN Town, not Mayberry.   icon_lol

p.s. you still waking up in a cold sweat at nights while screaming, "BUT YOU CAN'T BE A DENTIST, YOU DUMB ASS ELF!"?   Tongue

I understand that the story was set in Halloween Town, however, the messed up sock monster and his murderous cronies and some of the smaller story arcs were, for lack of a better descriptive phrase, fucked up.  

Reason all you want.  I still hate the film.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 13, 2008, 12:43:53 PM

Quote from: scubabbl on August 12, 2008, 10:55:44 PM

The matrix 2 and 3.
I don't know of a single person who likes Matrix 2 and 3.

You do now. smile

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2008, 02:35:53 PM

Quote from: Crux on August 15, 2008, 09:57:03 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2008, 05:55:04 AM

Plus Leonardo DIES!!!!

WTF CeeKay? Spoiler Tags Please!!!!

At least I didn't mention the ship sinks at the end.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »

Jesus dies? Jesus Christ, can't people use Spoiler tags anymore?!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 15, 2008, 08:58:07 PM

Jesus dies? Jesus Christ, can't people use Spoiler tags anymore?!

Don't worry, Moli.  He comes back as a zombie!   icon_twisted
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 08, 2008, 07:19:44 PM

Quote from: Purge on August 08, 2008, 07:14:39 PM

Star Wars: Phantom Menace.

Agreed.  And, I'm going to get completely flamed for this, but ALL Star Wars movies.

Everything about them reeks shit.  Yes, the special effects were great for the time.  That, and Harrison Ford are the only saving graces for these pieces of shit.  There, I said it.  FLAME ON!

You are dead to me.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on August 15, 2008, 11:18:26 PM

Agreed.  And, I'm going to get completely flamed for this, but ALL Star Wars movies.

Everything about them reeks shit.  Yes, the special effects were great for the time.  That, and Harrison Ford are the only saving graces for these pieces of shit.  There, I said it.  FLAME ON!

You are dead to me.

I thought I already was for liking post-Black album Metallica?  You like to hang out with dead people, it seems. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »

You are dead to me.

+2.  Mods, please delete the rickfc account as he has passed away and no longer needs it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2008, 01:39:41 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 15, 2008, 11:42:28 PM

You are dead to me.

I thought I already was for liking post-Black album Metallica?  You like to hang out with dead people, it seems. Tongue

No, liking post-Black Album Metallica makes you pitiable, this, THIS, is heinous beyond reckoning.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »

Quote from: Crux on August 15, 2008, 03:32:59 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 09, 2008, 10:33:26 PM

If the "message" of your movie is nothing more than war is gritty and disgusting, well then you're making a pretty shallow movie. I understood that point before I stepped into the theater and I don't want to spend two hours in the theater watching it. What you are basically saying is that the point of a movie like SPR is to show violence, the grittier the better. That may be fine for some people, but it bores me silly.

That isn't the message of the movie. But a story is told by more than just conversation. Action is its own language, and in Saving Private Ryan much of the story is told via that action. My point is you cannot take away a core aspect of any move and expect it to stand on the remaining pieces. The Princess Bride is a hell of a movie, but if you randomly remove one of the main characters, it doesn't stand up so well. This is no different.

Action is only useful if it serves to advance the story, otherwise it is, by definition, gratuitious. SPR had paper-thin themes, ham-handed non-action sequences, and a silly plot. There really was no story for the action to advance in SPR. While I can appreciated how well-crafted the action set pieces were done, there was nothing else in the movie worth watching. It's not the action itself that I object to; it's that the action in SPR is hollow filler for a soulless movie.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2008, 02:09:43 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on August 16, 2008, 01:39:41 AM

Quote from: rickfc on August 15, 2008, 11:42:28 PM

You are dead to me.

No, liking post-Black Album Metallica makes you pitiable, this, THIS, is heinous beyond reckoning.

Oh please.  Go back and watch the movies while trying to turn off the fanboy switch and you'll see what I mean.  They're nothing more than poorly written and horribly acted science fiction movies.  They were ground breaking at the time of their original release because nothing like that had been done before.  But the movies haven't aged well.

And I could say the same thing about you liking Ween.  Tongue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 16, 2008, 01:42:50 AM

Quote from: Crux on August 15, 2008, 03:32:59 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 09, 2008, 10:33:26 PM

If the "message" of your movie is nothing more than war is gritty and disgusting, well then you're making a pretty shallow movie. I understood that point before I stepped into the theater and I don't want to spend two hours in the theater watching it. What you are basically saying is that the point of a movie like SPR is to show violence, the grittier the better. That may be fine for some people, but it bores me silly.

That isn't the message of the movie. But a story is told by more than just conversation. Action is its own language, and in Saving Private Ryan much of the story is told via that action. My point is you cannot take away a core aspect of any move and expect it to stand on the remaining pieces. The Princess Bride is a hell of a movie, but if you randomly remove one of the main characters, it doesn't stand up so well. This is no different.

Action is only useful if it serves to advance the story, otherwise it is, by definition, gratuitious. SPR had paper-thin themes, ham-handed non-action sequences, and a silly plot. There really was no story for the action to advance in SPR. While I can appreciated how well-crafted the action set pieces were done, there was nothing else in the movie worth watching. It's not the action itself that I object to; it's that the action in SPR is hollow filler for a soulless movie.

The greatness of the set pieces in SPR is obvious.  But in my opinion there are some other parts of the film which are exceptional.  The death of Wade. The conflict over what to do with the German POW after one of the men in the squad had just been killed.  The Opim subplot of someone experiencing battle for the first time and his change of attitude at the end of the last battle, etc. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2008, 04:13:58 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 15, 2008, 01:21:22 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 15, 2008, 05:10:34 AM

The Insider absolutely should have won best picture over that turd.

Wow, that would have been quite a feat since The Insider was released two years later icon_wink  Are you thinking of LA Confidential? 

Yup, my bad. LA Confidential. Insider should have won its year too. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2008, 04:17:56 AM »

There's a lot to like about Saving Private Ryan but it's not a great movie on the whole. The parts are way better than the sum, to put it another way. The whole thing is rock solid until they get to Ryan, and then it just rolls over and dies for me. Especially at the end when we see Ryan is the one narrating it, which sort of negates THE ENTIRE MOVIE since he WASN'T THERE FOR IT!!!! Oops. And no, a flashback DOES NOT WORK EVER if the one flashing back WAS NOT THERE. The film it most reminds me of is Apocalypse Now which also craps the bed once they reach their goal (Kurtz) because Saving Private Ryan is yet another reworking of "Heart of Darkness" only it's a rescue mission instead of an assassination mission.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2008, 04:22:12 AM »

1997 is the only year I had ever seen four of the nominees for Best Picture.

Titanic
As Good as it Gets
The Full Monty (the one I haven't seen)
Good Will Hunting
L.A. Confidential

1991, 1994, 1999, 2003, 2005 all come in at three for me.  Although I shouldn't count '05 because of Brokeback Mountain.  That movie bored me.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2008, 04:52:23 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 16, 2008, 04:22:12 AM

Although I shouldn't count '05 because of Brokeback Mountain.  That movie bored me.

That would be because the movie was ass. So to speak.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2008, 05:42:08 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 16, 2008, 02:09:43 AM

Oh please.  Go back and watch the movies while trying to turn off the fanboy switch and you'll see what I mean.  They're nothing more than poorly written and horribly acted science fiction movies.  They were ground breaking at the time of their original release because nothing like that had been done before.  But the movies haven't aged well.

so go back and watch movies that you love while hating them?  wouldn't that make any movie suck?

besides, they age fine cause Lucas updates them every so often  Tongue

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2008, 05:42:08 AM

so go back and watch movies that you love while hating them?  wouldn't that make any movie suck?

No, I didn't say to go back and watch them while hating them.  I said to go back and watch them as if you were watching them without gushing about how much you love them from the get go.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  The thread is about the movies I hate that everyone else loves.  I hate the Star Wars series now.  I liked them when I was a kid, but I watched them again after I saw Episode 3 in the theater and didn't find any redeeming qualities about them outside of the things I listed in my OP.  I understand why people love them and we can leave it at that.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 16, 2008, 04:52:23 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 16, 2008, 04:22:12 AM

Although I shouldn't count '05 because of Brokeback Mountain.  That movie bored me.

That would be because the movie was ass. So to speak.

And the Emmys are one gigantic circle jerk of glorified back-patting.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2008, 05:11:37 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 16, 2008, 01:42:50 AM

Action is only useful if it serves to advance the story, otherwise it is, by definition, gratuitious.
False. Of course it can be gratuitous, but it can also be used to set the mood, set the time, tone, place, background, or any other number of things the director wants to convey. I would even argue that that which does not advance the story is just as, and maybe more, important than that which does advance it. Any movie where everything is a plot advancement device fails miserably - eg: Star Wars Episode 2.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 16, 2008, 12:38:28 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2008, 05:42:08 AM

No, I didn't say to go back and watch them while hating them.  I said to go back and watch them as if you were watching them without gushing about how much you love them from the get go.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  The thread is about the movies I hate that everyone else loves.  I hate the Star Wars series now.  I liked them when I was a kid, but I watched them again after I saw Episode 3 in the theater and didn't find any redeeming qualities about them outside of the things I listed in my OP.  I understand why people love them and we can leave it at that.

while this thread is about movies we hate as individuals and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, i do have to pipe up and say that i recently rewatched the original star wars movies after getting the "non-lucasfied" original box set and i was impressed by how well it aged...both in story and acting.  i actually enjoyed them quite a bit...especially the empire strikes back.  i absolutely love that one.   icon_wink 

p.s. and i wouldn't consider myself a fanboy as i've never once had a serious discussion about star wars, never dressed as a character, and sent my only star wars action figure ( a jawa) up into the lower earth's atmosphere in a model rocket when I was about 12. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

I have to say, I rewatched the Star Wars movies with my wife after we got married.  I was determined to show her how awesome they were, and I found myself embarrassed during IV and VI.  Empire Strikes Back holds up immensely, though.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 16, 2008, 04:17:56 AM

There's a lot to like about Saving Private Ryan but it's not a great movie on the whole. The parts are way better than the sum, to put it another way. The whole thing is rock solid until they get to Ryan, and then it just rolls over and dies for me. Especially at the end when we see Ryan is the one narrating it, which sort of negates THE ENTIRE MOVIE since he WASN'T THERE FOR IT!!!! Oops. And no, a flashback DOES NOT WORK EVER if the one flashing back WAS NOT THERE.

Well it wasn't a generic flashback then was it? Which is what made it such a nice twist imho. Looking back, it was not a flashback like we thought it was initially, it was showing the history of the two men present (one dead in the ground). i.e. "Here is the story of why this man is here at this other man's grave...".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 18, 2008, 05:46:31 PM

sent my only star wars action figure ( a jawa) up into the lower earth's atmosphere in a model rocket when I was about 12. 

you only had 1 Star Wars action figure, and it was a Jawa?  you poor, poor man.

Because I can,
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:13 AM »

Lost in Translation has to top the list for me. I can't believe how universally well liked the movie is. Bill Murray was alright in a few scenes, but the whiny spoiled idiot woman who couldn't find a way to enjoy herself in Japan just annoyed me. My wife and I had just started dating when we saw that and it helped us bond as we seemed to be the only two people in the world who hated the movie.

Superbad is probably second on the list. I was so excited to see it but it just never really got funny. Outrageous and vulgar, sure, but that doesn't make a good movie. Period jokes just don't do it for me.
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:54 AM »

The Big Lebowski and The Evil Dead (Does everyone love that one?)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:21 AM »

Serenity. smile

Also, The Big Lebowski is incredibly quotable and literally every tic and movement John "Jesus" Turturro makes in that film absolutely slays me. I mean gasping for air levels of laughter. But nothing else in the film works for me. Even Goodman who roars better than anyone who ever lived does nothing for me. Contrast that with his bravura performances in "Barton Fink" and "Raising Arizona" and Big Lebowski just escapes me, despite having seen it several times.

Sort of like the weak sauce that is Blade Runner.

Mike in 3... 2.... 1...

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »

Quote from: yossar on August 19, 2008, 02:27:54 AM

The Big Lebowski and The Evil Dead (Does everyone love that one?)

yes

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2008, 11:59:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 18, 2008, 05:46:31 PM

sent my only star wars action figure ( a jawa) up into the lower earth's atmosphere in a model rocket when I was about 12. 

you only had 1 Star Wars action figure, and it was a Jawa?  you poor, poor man.

i was a micronaut's man, myself.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »

Juno
Rushmore
Top Gun
Star Wars Episode 1, 2, and 3.

Just a little hiccup.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on August 19, 2008, 04:54:13 PM

Juno

I was expecting to really like Juno.  So we rented it, and sat down to watch.  15 minutes later I was playing games while my girlfriend finished watching it.  I have no interest in watching 90 minutes of an obnoxious teenager who speaks like the twats in Dawson's Creek.
* Huw the Poo shudders

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 19, 2008, 09:25:06 PM

Quote from: Hiccup on August 19, 2008, 04:54:13 PM

Juno

I was expecting to really like Juno.  So we rented it, and sat down to watch.  15 minutes later I was playing games while my girlfriend finished watching it.  I have no interest in watching 90 minutes of an obnoxious teenager who speaks like the twats in Dawson's Creek.
* Huw the Poo shudders

As a non-breeder who considers pregnancy a medical emergency, I know better than to even rent that one. Or any other from the spate of pregnancy movies that have come out in the past year or two. Gravidas gross me out.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »

Dumb and Dumber
Little Nicky
Meet the Parents / Fockers

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 20, 2008, 01:48:47 PM

As a non-breeder who considers pregnancy a medical emergency, I know better than to even rent that one. Or any other from the spate of pregnancy movies that have come out in the past year or two. Gravidas gross me out.

To keep it at a reasonable level of discussion, I will just say that I am on the opposite side of that spectrum from you.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2008, 12:32:17 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 20, 2008, 01:53:05 PM

Little Nicky

saywhat

people loved that dreck?

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »

For those of you Burton fans, mark August 26th on the calendar...

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55:18 AM »

Ooh thought of a good one: The Wizard of Oz. I just want to smack the living hell out of the lion and tin man.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:35 PM »

I didn't hate it, but neither did I especially like The 40-Year-Old Virgin (which we saw last night). We almost bailed out after the first half hour, but persevered because we both had some in-front-of-the-tv projects going. It had its moments. The ending was funny. All in all, it was a mediocre but likable romantic comedy buried under a lot of vulgar gags. Just not my type of humor.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: