http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you hate that everyone else loves  (Read 13438 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2008, 02:04:36 AM »

Oh, and I'll also add The Blair Witch Project and Titanic. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2008, 02:18:27 AM »

god there's so many.

the ring is one. wtf that was not scary. it was a boring detective movie with a predictable outcome.
actually any of these so called horror movies are beyond horrendous with the same plot for them all.

i don't understand all those pixar movies. they look just awfully boring.

titanic. never saw it, never will. i know what happens. i can read history. plus it has 2 horrible lead actors.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2008, 02:26:17 AM »

Titanic. 

For me it's usually a matter of what I like, everyone else I know hates.

"Goonies never say die"
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2008, 03:37:44 AM »

Any James Bond movie.

All of them.

I just don't get it.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2008, 03:38:49 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 08, 2008, 08:19:37 PM

Quote from: Purge on August 08, 2008, 08:10:46 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 08, 2008, 08:05:31 PM

Any animated feature from Dreamworks. 

Seriously?

Shrek 1, Kung Fu Panda, Flushed Away and Over The Hedge were worth watching IMHO.

Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers were not, however.

Which reminds me, I didn't like Over The Hedge. One of the most unfocused, manic, unfunniest animated films of recent memory. I wouldn't say all of Dreamworks animation is bad, but that one I didn't like.

+1.  Over the Hedge was terrible.  Even my three year old couldn't watch it.  I think Bruce Willis just isn't cut out for voice-overs.

on the other hand both Elise and I love Madagascar.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2008, 05:05:39 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 08, 2008, 09:32:49 PM

Quote from: rickfc on August 08, 2008, 09:06:43 PM

The Godfather (All)

I understand not liking part 3, which was a bad idea from Coppola.. but, the first two? You should revisit them.

Or just watch the first one, since Part II is deleted scenes from Part I mixed with a tired retread of same.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2008, 06:58:51 AM »

It was a little dark, but I almost pissed myself when they gave Hammy the red-bull... and the dog with "PLAY!!"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »

Shrek is poor, they're milking that series.  However, there's plenty of room for a more topical gag based humor movie, considering the original's subject matter.

However, they really hit their stride with Over the Hedge and Kung Fu Panda.

One movie I hated, and is the only movie I've ever walked out on, is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  A lot of people seem to like it, but I found it pointless and stupid.

Hellboy is another series that I don't hate, but I don't particularly like even though I should considering I love the subject matter.  There's just something about the way it's paced that irks me.  I've seen other del Torro films and they're fine.  But the pacing in Hellboy just threw me off.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »

Wall-E - it's a personal mission to make people see sense how absolutely terrible this film is. ninja

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »

Lost in Translation.  Overrated piece of shit.  All James Bond movies.  Batman Begins, however, I loved The Dark Knight.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 09, 2008, 02:01:38 AM

I have a deep-rooted dislike for anything having to do with Firefly and the feature film Serenity. I think Joss Whedon is severely overrated.

YES!  Thank god there is at least one other sane person out there.

I also hate the Shrek movies.  And anime.  All of it.

You are both dead to me.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »

I didn't think the first Shrek was that bad (for a kids' film), but after being forced to watch it a million times - and its two sequels - I'm utterly sick of them all.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 09, 2008, 03:00:17 PM

You are both dead to me.

A lot of people died to me in this thread. Bad idea, OP!
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »

With SPR, take away the intense action sequences and you're pretty much left with a saccharine, Disney-fied World War II.

So let me get this straight... if you take out all the violence in a WWII movie you get a saccharine, Disney-fied WWII? No shit sherlock.

It's like saying with SPR, if you take away all the dialogue you're pretty much left with a gory, violence-glorifying look at WWII.

Hint: most movies suck if you randomly pick one entire aspect (action, dialogue etc) out.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Crux on August 09, 2008, 03:53:25 PM

With SPR, take away the intense action sequences and you're pretty much left with a saccharine, Disney-fied World War II.

So let me get this straight... if you take out all the violence in a WWII movie you get a saccharine, Disney-fied WWII? No shit sherlock.

It's like saying with SPR, if you take away all the dialogue you're pretty much left with a gory, violence-glorifying look at WWII.

Hint: most movies suck if you randomly pick one entire aspect (action, dialogue etc) out.

If you take away the violence in a WWII movie, you should still be left with a good, interesting movie. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »

I despise Star Trek in all it's many forms. It's just stupid.

Titanic is a good one. My god is that film ever boring. How it won all those awards I'll never understand.

Also: Juno. Crap. Not just crap, but the horribly boring kind. I feel like I should like it because I tend to like most of the cast members in their other projects, but I was just completely uninterested in that movie from start to finish.

And I'll tack Napoleon Dynamite on there too. I think I might have laughed once. The rest of it was annoying.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:42:58 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »

And anime.  All of it.

Anyone who can hate Miyazaki films needs to have their head examined.   Tongue

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2008, 04:42:31 PM

And anime.  All of it.

Anyone who can hate Miyazaki films needs to have their head examined.   Tongue

Sweet. Another thing to add to my list.

Miyazaki films are all preachy and boring.

They're very well animated, but that's about all they have going for them. The rest of it is trash.

If I never get beat over the head with "NATURE GOOD, PEOPLE BAD" by badly voiced animated characters again I'll be able to die happy.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »

I couldn't wrap my head around someone dismissing ALL anime in one stroke. All the serious stuff with pretentions of depth?  Or all the humorous stuff with juvenile leanings?  Moral Dramas?  Seriously, I don't understand how you can dismiss one entire medium.  That seems perilously stupid and short-sighted to me.

And to add on something andrew said: if you took out all the violence from Patton (I don't know, maybe the slapping scene?), you'd still have a great movie about a near-mythical figure from WW2.  I don't agree with him on SPR (No the film wasn't deep, but the battle scenes were incredibly well done, imo).  I admit, the ending was so pathetic it ranks among the worst endings of all time.  (I wonder if the script read, 'now weep like a goddamn 8 year old girl'.  God that was lame.)

I totally agree with Braveheart & Gladiator.  I thought they both sucked.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on August 09, 2008, 04:58:39 PM

I couldn't wrap my head around someone dismissing ALL anime in one stroke. All the serious stuff with pretentions of depth?  Or all the humorous stuff with juvenile leanings?  Moral Dramas?  Seriously, I don't understand how you can dismiss one entire medium.  That seems perilously stupid and short-sighted to me.

I was going to say something along those same lines, but couldn't figure out quite how to put it.   Like you said, I don't think you can categorically dismiss an entire medium.   It's like someone saying "I hate books.  All of them.".

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »

This might not be a movie I hate, but I certainly had a different reaction to Silence of the Lambs than most people.  I laughed all the way through it.  It wasn't a mocking laugh, because I genuinely enjoyed the movie, and yes it was scary.  I just thought it was hilarious.  Does that make me a bad person?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2008, 05:31:27 PM

I was going to say something along those same lines, but couldn't figure out quite how to put it.   Like you said, I don't think you can categorically dismiss an entire medium.   It's like someone saying "I hate books.  All of them.".

Well, I guess I hate the animation, character designs and voices for all the anime I've seen and have no desire to see any more.  How's that?

And it's not equivalent to "I hate all books", it's more like "I hate all sleazy romance chick-lit".  It's a subcategory of a subcategory of a medium.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 09, 2008, 07:00:12 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2008, 05:31:27 PM

I was going to say something along those same lines, but couldn't figure out quite how to put it.   Like you said, I don't think you can categorically dismiss an entire medium.   It's like someone saying "I hate books.  All of them.".

Well, I guess I hate the animation, character designs and voices for all the anime I've seen and have no desire to see any more.  How's that?

Fair enough.

And it's not equivalent to "I hate all books", it's more like "I hate all sleazy romance chick-lit".  It's a subcategory of a subcategory of a medium.

I would disagree, since anime covers every genre and/or subcategory that "regular" movies do (horror, sci-fi, romance, comedy, drama, pr0n, etc.).  Maybe a more apt comparison would be saying "I hate all comic books", since they also cover every genre, but use a different artistic style.  Still, I think anime films should be judged on their own merits rather than lumping them all into one category.  Just as with every other medium, there's both really good and really bad to be found.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

My choices are sure to make me very popular.

Memento
Happy Feet
Lost In Translation
Nightmare before Christmas
Dumb and Dumber (most Jim Carrey movies in general…)
Over The Hedge
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 09, 2008, 04:05:13 PM

Quote from: Crux on August 09, 2008, 03:53:25 PM

If you take away the violence in a WWII movie, you should still be left with a good, interesting movie. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

Unless the ultimate message was that violence. I'd put forward that movies like Blackhawk Down stood on the gritty realism of the combat portrayed in SPR. It was groundbreaking for its time; it gave a disgusting look at how bad D-Day was in  some parts of the war (Omaha beach especially).

To take the Nazis out of "The Sound of Music" would be the same. The movie isn't about music. It's in there, but sedating a tiger and then comparing it to a sloth seems like a silly thing to do.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:26 PM »

If the "message" of your movie is nothing more than war is gritty and disgusting, well then you're making a pretty shallow movie. I understood that point before I stepped into the theater and I don't want to spend two hours in the theater watching it. What you are basically saying is that the point of a movie like SPR is to show violence, the grittier the better. That may be fine for some people, but it bores me silly.

As for the Sound of Music, I don't think you understand my point. I don't have a problem with Nazis in the movie. Far from it. If the Sound of music was nothing but boring scenes of Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family getting in pitched battles with Nazi forces, then I'd have an issue with it.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 09, 2008, 10:33:26 PM

If the Sound of music was nothing but awesome scenes of Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family getting in pitched battles with Nazi forces, then I'd have an issue with it.

I think I would have liked that version better.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »

I hate The Sound of Music.  Hate it.  Actually I pretty much hate all musicals.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on August 09, 2008, 11:04:08 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on August 09, 2008, 10:33:26 PM

If the Sound of music was nothing but awesome scenes of Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family getting in pitched battles with Nazi forces, then I'd have an issue with it.

I think I would have liked that version better.

I'd pay money to see that.  I always thought the Von Trapps would make an awesome ninja clan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »

Quote from: warning on August 10, 2008, 12:21:12 AM

Yes, musicals can pretty much all die. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 10, 2008, 01:12:19 AM

Quote from: warning on August 10, 2008, 12:21:12 AM

Yes, musicals can pretty much all die. 

Agreed, although I'm sure I'll see Repo!  The Genetic Opera.

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2008, 03:28:47 AM »

Saving Private Ryan- go beyond the graphic violence it is about as basic war story you can have. On par with the war movies made in the early '50s.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2008, 04:11:15 AM »

I don't hate any movie. If a movie bores me (that Borat movie, for example) or if I find it's existence unfathomable (is that a word?) it just fades away from my conscious memory. Seriously, I mostly only remember stuff I like.

Now ACTORS and comedians who I can't understand why haven't starved to death or been beaten to a pulp; that's a different story: I loathe Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Colbert, Carrell, Robin Williams, etc. I'm not saying they've never done anything funny (I'm looking at comedians at this moment, but it goes for certain actors too), I'm just saying it's not often enough to justify their popularity.

It's not hate I feel, just bemusement.  There is no God.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 09, 2008, 06:17:04 PM

This might not be a movie I hate, but I certainly had a different reaction to Silence of the Lambs than most people.  I laughed all the way through it.  It wasn't a mocking laugh, because I genuinely enjoyed the movie, and yes it was scary.  I just thought it was hilarious.  Does that make me a bad person?

thanks...now i will always see this when i see your name on these boards:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 10, 2008, 04:11:15 AM

Adam Sandler,

Price is WRONG bitch!

Will Ferrell,

I hope Santa Clause kicks your ass.

Colbert,

May one of your co-workes have sexual relations with a donut before you eat it.

Carrell,

I can see that.

Robin Williams,

You have no soul.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »

After seeing the trailer for "The Shadow" last night, I thought of another movie.

Sin City...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

Borat.  It was in my player for 20 minutes, I ejected it and took it back to Blockbuster.  I didn't laugh once.

Then again, I never liked Candid Camera, watched the Bloopers and Practical Jokes show strictly for the Bloopers, never watched Punk'd, Jackass, or any of those other shows where someone delights in getting one over on unsuspecting people. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

Tim Burton's Batman movies.  His total lack of interest in the Batman character and his total fascination with Batman's rogues gallery and his total inability to process that casting Michael Keaton as Batman was the worst casting decision of the 20th century added together to make a very annoying, frustrating movie experience.  Thank you Chris Nolan for doing your best to wipe those abominations from our collective consciousness.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »

I'd like to add Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas to the list as well.  Over the years I have noticed how much of a cult following this film has developed, and yet for some reason I had never taken the time to watch it until this past Christmas.

Finally my wife and I caught it on television and were both excited to finally get to see what all of the hype has been about.

While the animation was rather cool, the story itself was awful.  We struggled through that abomination and at the close we both looked at each other and in unison said, "W. T. F?"  I can't even elaborate beyond "that was effing terrible."  While A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and Die Hard will all remain annual Christmas favorites, I don't ever want to see The Nightmare Before Christmas ever again. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on August 12, 2008, 07:53:36 PM

Tim Burton's Batman movies.  His total lack of interest in the Batman character and his total fascination with Batman's rogues gallery and his total inability to process that casting Michael Keaton as Batman was the worst casting decision of the 20th century added together to make a very annoying, frustrating movie experience.  Thank you Chris Nolan for doing your best to wipe those abominations from our collective consciousness.

Funny, up until Batman Begins, I thought Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

Quote from: PeteRock on August 12, 2008, 07:59:16 PM

I'd like to add Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas to the list as well.

+1.  I went to the theater to see this movie while on acid and I fell asleep.  I fell asleep.  While on acid.  You don't fall asleep while you're tripping.  It just doesn't happen.  That was the only time it ever happened to me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:06:42 PM by rickfc » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: