http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies you hate that everyone else loves  (Read 13372 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »

Was talking to a buddy of mine today about some recent video releases and we somehow veered off into talking about movies we hated that were loved. I figured this might make for some Friday afternoon fun so lets see what you've got.

Mine has to be The Royal Tenenbaums, without question. I know it's popular in a "cult" sort of way, but damn, I cannot get into it.

Of recent films, its There Will Be Blood, which I think 10 years from now will be looked at as highly overrated.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »

Spiderman 1 & 2

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »

Superbad.

After enjoying Knocked Up and based on the positive reviews on the forum I picked it up.  Fucking awful.  I thought it wasn't funny, it wasn't entertaining, and it was a terrible disappointment after Knocked Up.

It was mostly a fat kid yelling at a skinny kid for two hours.  I didn't find any of the humor to be funny, I couldn't care less about the characters, McLovin' was overrated, and I just kept wondering when it would finally pick up or when the humor would eventually start.  I kept thinking that I must have been missing something based upon how many others thought the film was hysterical.  I couldn't stand it.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:45:25 PM »

Forest Gump
The Departed

Crap and Crap!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »

Too many to list here, but I have a special hate for Bruckheimer crap and films like 300.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »

Oh man Devil, Forrest Gump, AWESOME CHOICE! Damn what a turd that was.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 08, 2008, 05:45:25 PM

The Departed

You are a discredit to denizens of the deep EVERYWHERE.

Transformers.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 08, 2008, 05:43:14 PM

Superbad.

After enjoying Knocked Up and based on the positive reviews on the forum I picked it up.  Fucking awful.  I thought it wasn't funny, it wasn't entertaining, and it was a terrible disappointment after Knocked Up.

It was mostly a fat kid yelling at a skinny kid for two hours.  I didn't find any of the humor to be funny, I couldn't care less about the characters, McLovin' was overrated, and I just kept wondering when it would finally pick up or when the humor would eventually start.  I kept thinking that I must have been missing something based upon how many others thought the film was hysterical.  I couldn't stand it.

Pretty much how my wife and I felt about the movie as well. We both loved Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Freaks & Geeks and Undeclared but this movie left us both wondering what all the hype was about.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 08, 2008, 05:50:13 PM

Transformers.

+1

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »

I have a deep-rooted dislike for anything having to do with Firefly and the feature film Serenity. I think Joss Whedon is severely overrated.

Crash. It's such an astoundingly preachy movie. To this day, I don't understand why it got as many accolades as it got.

The Boondock Saints. I don't hate-hate this movie, but I think it's overrated. To me, it's a Tarantino knockoff that appeals to people with an Irish fetish. I don't know.. maybe I should watch it again.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »

Anchroman.

A couple funny moments but the characters are so unlikeable and self absorbed that I just can't stand it... I've tried watching it twice and turned it off halfway through both times. Terrible movie.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »

Clerks II.  Everyone always talks about how insightful and funny it is, but I found it to be a juvenile attempt at displaying "30 something ennui" by a filmmaker from whom I expect more.  Even the fart jokes were stale.

High Fidelity.  I thought it was an annoying attempt at trying to tell me how cool it was.  It was like being locked in a room with a New York party scene hipster for 90 minutes...and they just HAD to tell me how provincial I was the whole time.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »

I almost forgot about Swingers.

F-ing christ was it painful to sit through that mess.  The characters were pathetic, the humor was stale, and it felt like it belonged on the male version of Lifetime.  It was the High Fidelity comment that reminded me, as I felt both were comperable to each other. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »

Oh, this is easy, and I figure I'll get some heck for this, but Pan's Labyrinth. Came away feeling numb from it.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. You know, it's like a fantasy... but for the kids.. with ridiculous armies of humans, centaurs, lions, bears and every goddamn animal battling with not one drop of blood shown. Sorry that I didn't read the book as a kid. I found it to be third-rate fantasy at best.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »

Brokeback Mountain is the first that comes to mind for me.  I was really expecting a lot from this one but found it pretty boring.

gellar
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 06:23:28 PM »

Happy Gilmore

Office Space

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 08, 2008, 06:23:28 PM

Happy Gilmore

Office Space

Die.

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on August 08, 2008, 06:11:16 PM

Oh, this is easy, and I figure I'll get some heck for this, but Pan's Labyrinth. Came away feeling numb from it.

Same here, although I think that had more to do with my personal expectations of the film.  I thought it was going to be a fantasy movie with a bit of real-world war story mixed in, not the other way around.

I'd give a +1 to Transformers and Boondock Saints, and would also add Hellboy to my list.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 08, 2008, 06:34:31 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on August 08, 2008, 06:11:16 PM

Same here, although I think that had more to do with my personal expectations of the film.  I thought it was going to be a fantasy movie with a bit of real-world war story mixed in, not the other way around.

Yeah, and I thought that was due to the way it was marketed. Anyhow, my senses felt assaulted with all that violence. Just not something I was expecting, and it made me wonder just what people were seeing that made them rave about it.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »

Hate is such a strong word but there is no way you could ever get me to sit through Sideways or Rushmore ever again.  Never, ever, ever, ever.  I also actually paid to see Being John Malkovich on it's opening night, which I was really, really looking forward to and was completely let down and I also paid to see Trainspotting on its opening night and it did such a good job of disturbing and disgusting me to me that there was nothing I could pull from it all.  Trainspotting was the biggest switcheroo of a movie I have ever seen.  The teaser trailer I had seen for it had me rolling in the isles.  I thought it was going to be the funniest movie ever.  But in the movie even the funny scenes from the trailers were less funny in the context.

Oh, and most Tim Burton or David Lynch films...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »

Pretty much everything made since 1995.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 06:58:20 PM »

Perhaps this is the place to ask this question, given the nature of the thread:  is there ANYONE out there who thinks the movie "Meet the Spartans" is even remotely funny in any way, shape or form?   icon_confused

It literally pains me to see the commercials (I'm not nearly brave enough to rent this one) for it as it seems to operate at a level I don't think I've encountered since 4th grade classrooms...yet it appears to be marketed at adults/teenagers. 

It also seems to be part of a larger trend with such films as Epic Movie and Date Movie (part of the Aaron Seltzer and writing partner Jason Friedberg era, I guess) seemingly doing well enough at the box office to merit more and more of these movies.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:00:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Knocked Up was incredibly not funny.

Rushmore gets better with every viewing, LordMortis - you crazy!

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »

Knocked Up, Superbad, Shaun of the Dead....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on August 08, 2008, 06:04:45 PM

Anchroman.

A couple funny moments but the characters are so unlikeable and self absorbed that I just can't stand it... I've tried watching it twice and turned it off halfway through both times. Terrible movie.

+1.  Anchorman is fucking terrible.

Quote from: gellar on August 08, 2008, 06:24:39 PM

Happy Gilmore

Office Space

Die.

gellar

LOL.  +1.  Die

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2008, 07:05:55 PM

Shaun of the Dead....

We can no longer be friends.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »

Star Wars: Phantom Menace.

I thought it sucked; I can't believe they made 5 sequels and now an animated movie?

Crap, Crap, Crap.

Oh, and Lightsavers? You either put them in your mouth or throw them to people who are drowning; NOT swing em at each other.

I thought the rasta guy was cool though.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 08, 2008, 07:14:39 PM

Agreed.  And, I'm going to get completely flamed for this, but ALL Star Wars movies.

Everything about them reeks shit.  Yes, the special effects were great for the time.  That, and Harrison Ford are the only saving graces for these pieces of shit.  There, I said it.  FLAME ON!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:37:13 PM by rickfc » Logged
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

For the last 10-15 years, whatever films are up for Best Picture are almost always movies I've hated.  Most recently, No Country For Old Men.  Wow, what a bland and completely unengaging half of a movie.  I guess I can see why it got all the accolades, but I like my entertainment to be, you know, entertaining.

XBox Live:  JNacht
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 08, 2008, 07:02:47 PM

Rushmore gets better with every viewing, LordMortis - you crazy!

Better at not holding my interest and making me all antsy and wanting to get up and do something else and making the not funny even more not funnier and offering proof for the theory of relativity with time moving so slow it's painful when it is around a showing of that movie.  Better and better.  Never again.  Never.

(Everyone loves The Phantom Menace?)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »

The topic was "movies you hate that everyone else loves".   Doesn't that pretty much eliminate Phantom Menace?  Hell, I'm a unabashed Star Wars fanboy and even I thought it was terrible.

I thought it sucked; I can't believe they made 5 sequels and now an animated movie?

Crap, Crap, Crap.

Oh, and Lightsavers? You either put them in your mouth or throw them to people who are drowning; NOT swing em at each other.

A big icon_lol if you're being sarcastic, a big  saywhat if you're not.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »

Besides anything with Adam Sandler...here are some one-star movies from our Netflix history:

Borat
The Shining
Crash
Edward Scissorhands

One star means I wish I hadn't wasted lifespan watching it.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 08, 2008, 07:06:08 PM

Anchroman.

Quote from: gellar on August 08, 2008, 06:24:39 PM

Happy Gilmore

Office Space

Die.

gellar

LOL.  +1.  Die

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2008, 07:05:55 PM

Shaun of the Dead....

We can no longer be friends.

a big +1 to each of these. 

shaun of the dead?!  really?!  you sir, have terrible taste.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 08, 2008, 07:27:54 PM

The topic was "movies you hate that everyone else loves".   Doesn't that pretty much eliminate Phantom Menace?  Hell, I'm a unabashed Star Wars fanboy and even I thought it was terrible.

Crap, Crap, Crap.

A big icon_lol if you're being sarcastic, a big  saywhat if you're not.

That, my friend, was sarcasm. I was going to include them building a time machine and making movies in the past, but that would have just been over-the-top. Saying people loved Phantom Menace is ridiculous in it's own right.

Oh, and SW:ESB is about the only one I could stand to watch again... maybe RotJ ... maybe.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

God, Borat.  I'll wish I could have that time back when I'm on my deathbed.  I watched it till I got to the companion jacking off and that was all I could take.

The Royal Tennenbaum's - made it about 20 minutes into it and was bored out of my mind.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

Heard lots of people talking up Memento.  Thought it sucked.  Interesting premise, horrible dialog.  (What's that?  Your character needs to show strong emotion?  I know - toss out another string of F-bombs!).

In high school/college lots of my peers thought Sid & Nancy was just awesome.  For me it was just an hour+ long headache.  (I'm taking everyone to be mean everyone around me at the time.)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »

Anchroman.

I hate you.  May a female yak menstruate on your face while you sleep.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »

Unbreakable.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 07:54:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2008, 07:51:43 PM

+1.  Anchorman is fucking terrible.

Wait, you like Anchorman but hate Shaun of the Dead?  WTF is wrong with you???
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 08, 2008, 07:53:09 PM

Unbreakable.

hate that one too.  Actually, put all of M. Night Shamalamadingdong's movie in my hate column.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: