http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 12:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies You'd Walked Out On  (Read 2159 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2005, 06:15:10 PM »

Saw this topic at OO, and figured it was a good one to get going here. What movies have you walked out on in your life?

For me, I *ahem* STOOD UP TO LEAVE RUNNING FOR MY LIFE about 3/4 into The Thin Red Line, and Fireball pulled me back down saying, "Wait! If something really kickass happens then we'll have to suffer through it all over again!" Good lord was that movie one of the most awful times I've ever experienced in the theater. Fuck Terrence Malick. Hard.

Another was Gosford Park, but since FH and I were on our first date, neither of us wanted to turn to the other and say, "This blows, want to see what's on TV?" As such, I suffered through it.

Actually I'm coming up short on movies I've left from. Almost did quite a few times, and I've stopped watching movies on DVD plenty (most recently Van Helsing), but this I'll have to think on.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 06:19:39 PM »

The Day After Tomorrow.

I'm all for a nice disaster movie but this thing couldn't have sucked any worse.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

I wish I had walked out on Matrix Revolutions.  As it was, I managed to time a bathroom break quite nicely with the idiotic 'rave' sequence....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

The Thin Red Line

Ugh...true that.  

For me?  That'd be House of the Dead.  Sweet merciful Christ was that movie aweful...my expectations were low, but as soon as I saw Ron Howard's little brother I knew I was in for it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 07:33:39 PM »

A.I. Turned to my girlfriend toward the end of the movie and said, "let's get the hell out of here" and she was halfway to the exit by the time I finished the sentence. The movie combined the worst excesses of Kubrick with the worst excesses of Spielberg to reach new heights of total crap.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 07:35:06 PM »

I made my friends turn off "Strangeland" as we were watching it just because it absolutely disgusted me.  I nearly walked out watching "The Cell" as well...disturbing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:53:36 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
I wish I had walked out on Matrix Revolutions.  As it was, I managed to time a bathroom break quite nicely with the idiotic 'rave' sequence....

Meh?  The rave sequence in Revolutions was key to the story.  The one in Reloaded might be the one you were thinking of.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 08:10:56 PM »

Ha ha ... the only movie I've walked out of was Driving Miss Daisy ... when me and a buddy were like ten or something. His dad chose the wrong "comedy" for us. Should have taken us to something with farting I guess.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 08:23:15 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Quote from: "th'FOOL"

Meh?  The rave sequence in Revolutions was key to the story.  The one in Reloaded might be the one you were thinking of.

Oops.  That's right, Revolutions was the one I fell asleep during.  Tongue

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 08:40:27 PM »

Luckily I didn't go see The Thin Red Line at the theatre, I rented it.  I never watched it all the way through.  It was horrible.  I absolutely love the soundtrack but the movie is as weak as they get.

I walked out of AI, Stuart Little & Chain Reaction.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 08:42:38 PM »

Pumpkin Head

ugghh.

I'd rather snort dirt.

Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »

Star Wars Episode I.  I figured I could sleep better in my bed at home.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »

Cocktail

Yuck.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 09:53:02 PM »

I almost never have to walk out because I'm the type who knows all about a movie before it comes out, even chick flicks...usually.

However, I did walk out of Dick Tracy, that was just too painful to endure completely.  That was the last time.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 10:23:25 PM »

If I had paid to watch Freddy Got Fingered in the theater, not only would I have walked out, I would have sued Tom Green for the price of the ticket and personal damages.  Worst movie I have ever watched.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 10:43:54 PM »

And for what it's worth, I would have walked out on Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, and the Rollerball remake if I'd seen them in the theatre. Thankfully I caught them all on Movie Central and quickly changed the channel. I actually couldn't stand to watch any more, and that's pretty rare for me.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 11:00:52 PM »

Almost forgot: I also walked out of Shakespeare In Love. Me and a good friend of mine who is an English teacher went and saw it together. No one told us that it was a stupid chick flick with Shakespeare in the title to fool people into thinking it was a respectable movie.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 11:03:14 PM »

What the hell is up with so many of you walking out of A.I.?  GOD, I love that movie!  Teddy is adorable, you evil, evil vagabonds!

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 11:15:34 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
What the hell is up with so many of you walking out of A.I.?  GOD, I love that movie!  Teddy is adorable, you evil, evil vagabonds!

I thought the first half or so of A.I. was good.  After that, it became to long and drawn out.  I loved the look and feel of it, I just think it went on far too long for its own good.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 12:00:04 AM »

I had more sympathy for Teddy than I did the android child. The saddest moment in the movie - for me - was when Teddy was dangling from the hot air balloon basket (was that what it was?) and he said "I break." That was the saddest part, and it was from a talking stuffed animal.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 12:19:46 AM »

Most recently: Alexander

Meh? The rave sequence in Revolutions was key to the story. The one in Reloaded might be the one you were thinking of.

Eh? As I recall they were both stupid and pointless. Of course, I've spent a lot of time trying to remove both those movies from my memory.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 12:32:33 AM »

AI had its moments, but collectively was ass. Where it died for me was the 20 minute epilogue following him praying to the Blue Fairy, which is where it should have ended. The kid prays to the Blue Fairy to make him a real boy and basically stays there praying until the end of the world. That was the ending they were building to, and the one that made sense. But then... it just goes on. Up to that point, it was still pretty stupid, but there were parts where it showed off as the movie it wanted/needed to be.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 01:05:08 AM »

Wait, do Adult Movies count?

Just Hiro will do.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 01:47:54 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

If you feel you got your money's worth then I would say no. :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 03:54:45 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Where it died for me was the 20 minute epilogue following him praying to the Blue Fairy, which is where it should have ended.

Yeah, well.. Spielberg loves his bookends. Kubrick probably flipped once or twice during the premiere.

Movies I've walked out on ... hrm... that's tough. I won a "free movies for a year" pass so I walked out of a lot of crap with no financial hit.

I almost walked out of Deep Blue Sea, until I started having fun with making fun of it. Stuff like a 4 ton mako shark (with a cartilage skull) bashing in a titanium reinforced wall about a mile below sea level... you know, with the rivets popping out. Cuz I read somewhere that blood is thicker than water, and gelatinous compounds beat out pressure-titanium EVERY GODDAMNED DAY OF THE WEEK. Or this same CGI shark swimming down a 4ft wide hallway, or being able to get it's mouth above waterline in 3 feet of water. Ooo, and the pathetic excuse for an underwear shot, or the stabbed eye/no stabbed eye/stabbed eye scene at the end. When a movie proposes to be "REAL, with the only thing different is that the sharks have bigger brains" and then shit like the helicopter being dragged into a building by a shark, they swim backwards, knowing what a camera is, leaping out of a pool, snatching Sam Jackson from the TOP, and jack-knifing back into the water, etc etc.. I've got a 30 min diatribe on why the people responsible should be shot. Frankly, I think Renny Harlin's direction of "Cliffhanger" was a fluke. Mindhunters? Please.

The only good thing about the movie is some awesome one-liners. But they appear like tiny, tasty meatballs in a rancid pile of spaghetti, liberally covered in sulpher and banana-flavored yogurt.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:54 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "SuperHiro"

If you feel you got your money's worth then I would say no. :twisted:

...and lets face it... the audience retention on those movies is generally LESS than the full running time. If you leave early, they've done their job. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 05:58:22 AM »

The only movie I have ever walked out on was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 12:48:05 PM »

I agree.  I thought it was a great movie.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2005, 01:31:35 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

I agree.  I thought it was a great movie.

Just trust everyone else in the country: it sucks.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »

I would've walked out on AI, but unless a movie is absolutely horrid in the first hour, I never quit - I'm a "the glass is totally full" kinda person, I guess.
I really loved a lot of AI, but had to survive the last - what - half hour to hour -  can't remember how long, but i had to survive it by making fun of it, ala Purge and Deep Blue Sea.

The only movie I've ever walked out on early - and demanded my money back - I can't remember the name of!  It was in the 70's, had George Segal in it, and that's all I can remember.  I think it was due to total and complete  boredom from the dross they had the nerve to call a movie - it may as well have been a still picture it was so exciting... :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 04:14:30 PM »

I've only walked out on one movie that I never should have walked into:

"How to Be a Player"
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 03:14:37 AM »

Only film I ever recall walking out on is The Bourne Identity - yet it was through no fault of the film's.  I was going on maybe two hours of solid sleep after my wife's second open-heart surgery and kept nodding off.  Not sure if I was snoring or not, but after about the third time I woke up, I figured it was pointless to stay...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: