http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 12:01:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies "Based on" books  (Read 2051 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:04:28 PM »

I recently took a trip through the video store and rented a movie called "H.P. Lovecraft's The Tomb".  Now I've read the Lovecraft short story The Tomb and this movie was in no way based on it.  In fact, it couldn't have been any further away from the novel.

I'm going to spoil the movie in the hopes that it deters ANYONE from seeing it.

In the movie, the whole story revolves around another little movie called "Saw".  The synopsis is this - a fat guy and a blond girl wake up in plastic bags in what is supposed to be a tomb, but more resembles a metal workshed with shelves everywhere.  On the shelves (crypts?) are people in bags with toe tags that have dates on them.  Every time one of the lifeless actors reads the date we get a little flashback as to how they wronged the "Puppetmaster" who is torturing these people. (note - on the back of the box is the only places we see our villan referred to as Puppetmaster)  In the end, the fat guy and blond girl go through the whole work shed and randomly and inexplicably kill off the people in the bags by trying to solve 'puzzles' that have no puzzle elements.  All the while the protagonist is chanting nonsense like "8 nails, who fails?" which really has nothing to do with anything but the first 'puzzle' - don't let that little bit of logic stop ya though.  In the end (and again, completely without reason) the blond decides to hack up everyone with a movie-prop axe and she 'wins the game'. (the rest of us lost as we just watched the whole movie)

Now - compare that with the Lovecraft story:
A man named Jervas Dudley becomes obsessed with a the tomb of the Hyde Family. He becomes obsessed with it for reasons unknown to him.  It possesses him night and day until one day he decides to commune with the undead who drop a key in his house for him to find. Drawn to the tomb, he finds a crypt with his own name on it inside.  He goes completly nuts and lives out the rest of his days in a mental ward.

Can you even remotely call this 'based on'?  Even a little?  How do they get away with putting H.P. Lovecraft's The Tomb on the cover?  It isn't even close!! 

Have you found book/movies that are similarly disjointed?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:19:08 PM »

As much as I love them, you could definitely count the Bourne Trilogy in here. Sure, they revolve around an amensiac super-secret agent, but the other details are far changed. I don't want to ruin the book for anyone because it's a great read and anyone who remotely liked the movies or that genre at all should check it out. However, suffice it to say there are very large differences between the plotlines we see in the movies and those of the books.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:23:06 AM »

Congo!

lasers? f@#&%ng lasers?!?!?!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:38:44 AM »

Vampires was disappointing when compared to the book.  I'm pretty sure some Stephen King movies would also qualify.  Oh, and 'I, Robot'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »

All of the Tom Clancy book based movies were horrible, except for Hunt for Red October.

But my all time worst book to movie experience was Starship Troopers, so so much more could have been done with that book, but instead they decided that people flying interstellar spacecraft should arm their soldiers with m-16s.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:59:30 AM »

Strangely, Stephen King movies which deviate from his story suck, and the ones which don't actually end up good movies.

And one thing I really hate... HATE... is how even the good King movies still remove the fantasy elements and replace it with Science Fiction.  Like in "IT", instead of it being supernatural, it's fucking aliens.  Um... WTF?  Is that supposed to be more believable or something?

As for "I, Robot"... why the hell didn't they just make their movie and leave Asimov's stuff out of it?

A "Starship Troopers" true to the book would rock.  It would also be a lot like Robotect: they weren't Mobile Infantry for nothing (there was nothing "mobile" about them in the movie... they were just plain ol' infantry).
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:50:48 AM »

Battlefield Earth
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:10:24 AM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on August 10, 2007, 02:50:48 AM

Battlefield Earth

I actually thought they did a good job on that.  In fact, I thought the book started getting really stupid after the point where the movie ends.

I read both this and that series L Ron wrote (the ten book one).  THAT was a waste of time- it was good for the first half of the first book, and the other 9.5 books sucked.  My only excuse for sticking with it that long was I was young and didn't know any better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 03:12:57 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »

They did a good job with Battlefield Earth?!

This is coming from someone who really likes the book, but every single logical gaffe and complaint leveled against the movie is a departure from the book. 

Movie: Hey, these F-16s are sitting here, gassed up and ready to go! Neat, the flight simulators still work!  The Air Force may not have been able to defeat the aliens with them, but we will!
Book: Neat, underground military hangar! Aw crap, all the vehicles are piles of rust.  Instead, we'll secretly learn to fly the aliens' planes, hijack them, and use the planes against them!

Movie: Aliens with highly developed sensory equipment who lust after gold managed to miss the massive stash in Fort Knox! We'll just give the dude that gold!
Book: Alien wants us to mine highly unstable gold lode in an area containing radiation that makes them explode.  Let's look for easier way...hey, maybe Fort Knox has gold! Aw hell, it's all cleaned out by the aliens.  Oh well, looks like we're in for a dangerous mining process with many cool scenes that would look awesome on film.

Movie: Aliens loves their dreads and funny nose plugs.
Book: Aliens are actually alien-looking with bones for all their facial features, and both aliens and humans wear full-face breathing masks.

What they did to that book is a tragedy, especially since everyone now assumes the book is as bad as the movie, leading to fans of the book being ridiculed whenever they bring it up.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »

D00D.

Running Man is an instance where the movie is better than the book er.. short story.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 02:23:05 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 10, 2007, 01:59:30 AM

A "Starship Troopers" true to the book would rock.  It would also be a lot like Robotect: they weren't Mobile Infantry for nothing (there was nothing "mobile" about them in the movie... they were just plain ol' infantry).

Yeah, I couldn't understand why my friends were so pissed at the movie until I read the book.  Still, the movie had big 'splosions which is always good in my book.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 02:23:05 PM

Yeah, I couldn't understand why my friends were so pissed at the movie until I read the book.  Still, the movie had big 'splosions which is always good in my book.

And Dina Meyers nekkid.  There is a lot to be said about that.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 10, 2007, 02:00:25 PM

D00D.

Running Man is an instance where the movie is better than the book er.. short story.

I liked both but actually preferred the open world adventure of the book better.  Was more emotional too, but not actiony enough for a movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 10, 2007, 03:37:17 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 02:23:05 PM

And Dina Meyers nekkid.  There is a lot to be said about that.  smile

hellz yea!!!  thumbsup

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 10, 2007, 04:03:27 PM

D00D.

I liked both but actually preferred the open world adventure of the book better.  Was more emotional too, but not actiony enough for a movie.

Plus, when you look at the ending, it's allegedly our moral duty as upstanding Americans to take a dim view of that kind of thing... especially since nobody could have forseen such an event ever happening  Roll Eyes

Yeah, you will definitely never see a true to the story Running Man movie.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

Strangely, Stephen King movies which deviate from his story suck, and the ones which don't actually end up good movies.

And one thing I really hate... HATE... is how even the good King movies still remove the fantasy elements and replace it with Science Fiction.  Like in "IT", instead of it being supernatural, it's fucking aliens.  Um... WTF?  Is that supposed to be more believable or something?

did you actually read IT?

Spoiler for Hiden:
if so, you'll recall that when they do the indian smokehouse bit, the 2 kids who remain have a 'spirit vision' of IT crashlanding in a 'spaceship' to Derry.  This is in part because that is all their minds can allegedly handle and so they translate the otherworldliness to a spaceship, but the impression is that IT came from away, or otherliness, as I recall

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 10, 2007, 06:16:00 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 10, 2007, 04:03:27 PM

D00D.

Plus, when you look at the ending, it's allegedly our moral duty as upstanding Americans to take a dim view of that kind of thing... especially since nobody could have forseen such an event ever happening  Roll Eyes

Yeah, you will definitely never see a true to the story Running Man movie.

Tis true that now the ending could not be made without too many repercussions, but I still thought it was an appropriate finish to the story.
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 10:28:05 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 10, 2007, 07:46:34 PM

And one thing I really hate... HATE... is how even the good King movies still remove the fantasy elements and replace it with Science Fiction.  Like in "IT", instead of it being supernatural, it's fucking aliens.  Um... WTF?  Is that supposed to be more believable or something?

Spoiler for Hiden:
if so, you'll recall that when they do the indian smokehouse bit, the 2 kids who remain have a 'spirit vision' of IT crashlanding in a 'spaceship' to Derry.  This is in part because that is all their minds can allegedly handle and so they translate the otherworldliness to a spaceship, but the impression is that IT came from away, or otherliness, as I recall

Sorry, I didn't, so that was probably a bad example on my part.  I was actually fishing my memory for another book they had done that with, but couldn't remember the title.  Ugh, my memory is really going.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:29:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 10, 2007, 09:24:44 PM

Tis true that now the ending could not be made without too many repercussions, but I still thought it was an appropriate finish to the story.

Oh, totally.  I loved the ending, and still remember how Killian actuallys sees Richards smiling.  And flipping him off.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 01:01:08 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 10, 2007, 10:28:05 PM

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 10, 2007, 07:46:34 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Sorry, I didn't, so that was probably a bad example on my part.  I was actually fishing my memory for another book they had done that with, but couldn't remember the title.  Ugh, my memory is really going.

Tommyknockers?

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 03:26:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2007, 01:01:08 AM

Tommyknockers?

I don't think so: I didn't read Tommyknockers either.  I'll look up his books later: I was at work for 12 hours, my brain is fried.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »

Man Tommyknockers was pretty bad.  I think that was one he wrote at the height of his cocaine fueled haze.  I did read a segment from it out loud for a high school English class and that went over really well with my classmates though. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 01:05:03 AM »

battlefield earth has to be the top of the crap heap.  if it weren't bad enough with the huge problems chaz mentioned, we get john travolta acting like a douche. 

classic bad scene when the harrier pilot flew through the building.  it makes "plan 9" look like citizen kane.

dreamcatcher was a pile of crap, but i don't know how bad the book was to know if it was originally utter garbage or just turned into one.

jurassic park 2 was hokey, but mainly because he ret-conned some deaths. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »

Jurrasic Park 2 didn't even follow the book.  All the movies made after the first one were just creations of the script writers.

I disliked a lot of the changes the first film made from the book, as well.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 12, 2007, 03:11:40 PM

Jurrasic Park 2 didn't even follow the book.  All the movies made after the first one were just creations of the script writers.

I disliked a lot of the changes the first film made from the book, as well.

The only change that bothered me was that they made the old man too nice. In the book he was manipulative and greedy which made his motives more interesting. It's been awhile since I've read the book, though, so I can't remember all the changes.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »

Well, they combined two of the lower tier characters, which I didn't have a problem with.  However, Ian Malcom was an older dude, not a leather pants wearing rockstar.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 12, 2007, 03:41:05 PM

The only change that bothered me was that they made the old man too nice. In the book he was manipulative and greedy which made his motives more interesting. It's been awhile since I've read the book, though, so I can't remember all the changes.

IIRC Malcolm dies at the end of the first book, but in The Lost World it turns out he pulled a 'I'm not quite dead yet'.

I liked the movies for what they were (popcorn summer action movies), but only because I accepted the fact that they'd be different than the books.  I must have seen the original at least 6 times in the theater- it's the only movie that I saw twice in the same day at the theater.  3 was interesting because they intergrated portions of the first book into the script- mainly the pterodactyls.

Supposedly a part 4 is in the works.

Because I can,
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 12, 2007, 04:50:48 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 12, 2007, 03:41:05 PM

IIRC Malcolm dies at the end of the first book, but in The Lost World it turns out he pulled a 'I'm not quite dead yet'.

I liked the movies for what they were (popcorn summer action movies), but only because I accepted the fact that they'd be different than the books.  I must have seen the original at least 6 times in the theater- it's the only movie that I saw twice in the same day at the theater.  3 was interesting because they intergrated portions of the first book into the script- mainly the pterodactyls.

Supposedly a part 4 is in the works.
I thought it was also better than Hammond died in the book. I thought it was a very fitting end that he was killed by the creations in his own park. Especially since he wasn't the nicest of guys.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »

I don't recall Malcom dying.  I though he just got really messed up.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »

the biggest things that i remember changed were:

hammond not dying
malcom not dying
the lawyer lived and the park guide dies instead
no pterodactyls
no firebombing of the island by the military

all three were retconned in the second book, which is where i lost interest in crichton's work.  i remember thinking about the scene in jp2 with the jeep driving through the brontosaur legs and how he wrote it specifically to be an action scene.  it read more like a screenplay of a good book.

jp3 was atrocious, except for the pterodactyl scene. 

malcom got pretty sick and died while they hid in one of the buildings. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »

Summary courtesy of Wikipedia:

Malcolm is seriously injured in the first book, and presumed dead. However, he returns in the second book, The Lost World, alive but crippled.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 13, 2007, 10:17:10 PM

Malcolm is seriously injured in the first book, and presumed dead. However, he returns in the second book, The Lost World, alive but crippled.

not sure how it would read to me now, but when the book came out it definitely seemed like he died.  of course, it wouldn't be the first time a character was presumed dead and turned up.  see jp3.  hell, i wouldn't be surprised to see the lawyer make his way into jp4 slywink 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 12:43:27 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 13, 2007, 11:10:54 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on August 13, 2007, 10:17:10 PM

not sure how it would read to me now, but when the book came out it definitely seemed like he died.  of course, it wouldn't be the first time a character was presumed dead and turned up.  see jp3.  hell, i wouldn't be surprised to see the lawyer make his way into jp4 slywink 

In true Wikipedia conflicting article form:

Ian Malcolm is gravely injured during the incident but found by Gennaro and park game warden Robert Muldoon and spends the remainder of the novel slowly dying as, in between lucid lectures and morphine-induced rants, he tries to help those in the main compound understand their predicament and survive.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 03:08:53 AM »

That all goes along with what I remember: he got really messed up, but didn't die.  That "slowly dying" statement really kind of makes the issue unclear, however.

I could have sworn he was taken off the island when the military arrived.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:53 AM »

I read the novel a year or so before the movie's release and I definitely remember getting the impression that Malcolm had kicked the bucket.  His return in Lost World struck me as a John Rambo-esque resurrection. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 01:38:44 AM

Vampires was disappointing when compared to the book.  I'm pretty sure some Stephen King movies would also qualify.  Oh, and 'I, Robot'.

I, Robot took place in the same world that was constructed, it just wasn't about a couple of repairmen, because repairmen don't sell tickets. Will Smith being hunted during the robot revolution DOES sell tickets.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »

Would it be Dreamcatcher? The sad thing was that everything was on course until about mid-way....

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 14, 2007, 03:04:08 PM

Would it be Dreamcatcher? The sad thing was that everything was on course until about mid-way....

I forgot to look that up.  No, I never read Dreamcather, but I did see the movie.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 14, 2007, 03:18:26 PM

I never read Dreamcather

Dreamcatheter ? I'd call that a nightmare.

unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 03:51:26 PM »

OMG... I've had to have a catheter user.  That was definitely two of the most painful experiences of my life.  And I had been hit by a car right before that.  Nothing like a tube being stuck in your weiner to give you a perspective on pain.

Ok, I went through the list of King movies, and I was thinking of Maximum Overdrive (the machines just magically came to life in the book, rather than being a prelude to an alien invasion).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: