http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie trilogies that got progressively better  (Read 3261 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on June 03, 2008, 05:16:08 PM

Also - For some reason, I think the Saw series seems to get better and better.  I think there are 4 Saw movies though...

Really? I thought they only tried to outdo each other in gruesomeness. The compelling story and mystery was lost after the first one.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

Resident Evil??  Saw??? Really???

icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

Yeah I was going to say that the Resident Evil series seemed to get better and better- at least IMO.  smile

The first Resident Evil was pretty good.  The second one was laughable. I haven't seen the third one.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 06:42:34 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 03, 2008, 05:19:11 PM

Also - For some reason, I think the Saw series seems to get better and better.  I think there are 4 Saw movies though...

Really? I thought they only tried to outdo each other in gruesomeness. The compelling story and mystery was lost after the first one.

The second one on its own wasn't very good. But I thought the 3rd film actually weaved up movies 1&2 in to a nice coherent plot quite nicely. They actually had an interesting story to tell. I'm not sure if the overall plot was pre-planned or cobbled together as they went along but they certainly did a better job with with story than some pre-thought out trilogies (Matrix).
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on June 02, 2008, 06:48:53 PM

Perusing the trilogy list:

1)  There was the third Cannonball Run movie.  I might just have to find that.

Whaaaa?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »

Episodes 1, 2 and 3 of the New (old) SW trilogy.

The first one is garbage.

The second one is ok.

The third is arguably the best movie of the series (though I've only seen it once).

So there.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 03, 2008, 06:48:07 PM

The second one is ok.

The third is arguably the best movie of the series (though I've only seen it once).

So there.

Getting progressively better because they couldn't possibly get worse hardly seems like it should count.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 02, 2008, 09:22:59 PM

Quote from: Kyosho on June 02, 2008, 09:20:24 PM

I highly doubt anyone would agree with me, but I'd say the Back to the Future movies qualify. They do in my opinion anyways. However, I was too young to see the first one by itself and have to wait for the sequels. The first one is more of a teen comedy, and if I was expecting mostly that from the sequels, I may have been disappointed. Some people say they got "too sci-fi." Well, whatever. I love them all. And I think the sequels improved upon the original.

Sorry, I just checked and it turns out that the order of quality for the BttF movies is 1, 3, 2, just as I had suspected. slywink

For the BttF movies, you can rank it (best to worst) 1,2,3 or even 2,1,3 but in no way can you say 3,2,1

The third movie was no way better than part 2. Impossible.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on June 03, 2008, 07:11:02 PM

Sorry, I just checked and it turns out that the order of quality for the BttF movies is 1, 3, 2, just as I had suspected. slywink

For the BttF movies, you can rank it (best to worst) 1,2,3 or even 2,1,3 but in no way can you say 3,2,1

Well you somehow put 2 before 1 which is scientifically unpossible due to the original being one of the most perfect movies of all time.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »

I highly doubt anyone would agree with me, but I'd say the Back to the Future movies qualify. They do in my opinion anyways. However, I was too young to see the first one by itself and have to wait for the sequels. The first one is more of a teen comedy, and if I was expecting mostly that from the sequels, I may have been disappointed. Some people say they got "too sci-fi." Well, whatever. I love them all. And I think the sequels improved upon the original.

No, no, no. 2 is the worst.  It is a total mess with all the back and forth, and the reshoots of the first movie from different angles and the bad aging makeup. 1 is the best, and 3 is quite good, but not as good as 1.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »

I thought Dirty Debutantes No. 27 was better than Dirty Debutantes No. 26.  The series fell to shit with No. 28 though, imo.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 02, 2008, 07:55:51 PM

Quote from: Octavious230 on June 02, 2008, 07:48:49 PM

Only two movies but one could argue that Toy Story 2 was better then Toy Story 1. We will see how 3 fairs.

Yes, on could.

Quote from: PeteRock on June 02, 2008, 05:46:07 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't fall into the "trilogy" category, but if liberty were taken to also refer to sequels, I felt Toy Story 2 was a pleasant improvement over the original, which is no small feat as the first was quite good as well.

icon_wink

DOH!  saywhat
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 08:17:53 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 07:25:45 PM

No, no, no. 2 is the worst.  It is a total mess with all the back and forth, and the reshoots of the first movie from different angles and the bad aging makeup. 1 is the best, and 3 is quite good, but not as good as 1.

No. 1 is the best, and 2 and 3 are about equal. 3 is a better all around movie, but I thought the part in 2 where they go back to 1955 was excellent, and made up for the abortion that was the beginning and middle of the movie. And the ending was great. "No Doc, it's me. It's Marty! I'm back, I'm back from the future..."

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

The second one is ok.

So there.

1 was fun and fresh at the time.  It still holds up relatively well.  2 was the best by far, imho (and the opinion of many critics).  3 was only marginally better than 1.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:23:52 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 03, 2008, 08:21:50 PM

The second one is ok.

So there.

1 was fun and fresh at the time.  It still holds up relatively well.  2 was the best by far, imho (and the opinion of many critics).  3 was only marginally better than 1.

I believe he is talking about episodes 1-3 and you are talking about episodes 4-6.

TheZork
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »

Quote from: Hyena on June 03, 2008, 04:50:51 AM

Hope I don't get crucified for this, but what about the Lethal Weapon trilogy?  I know they threw that fourth one in there (which only added to the bad-assness IMO), but I thought it dealt with the aging and maturing of the characters very nicely.  Always thought it was cool how they brought the whole family back for all the movies as well, and not just in bit parts, but roles integral to the main plot.  One of the greatest "buddy cop" film series ever.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

I like the Lethal Weapon movies and agree it's one of the best "buddy cop" series ever, but I don't think they got progressively better.

Here's how I would rate the series (from best to worst): 2, 1, 3, 4.

I've seen LW2 at *least* 20-30 times.  It's the first time we see the Joe Pesci "okay, okay, okay" character.  By LW3 the novelty definitely wore off, but in LW2 he was pretty funny.  LW2 just seemed to have more action and more comedy than any of the other installments.

It helped that I saw LW2 in a packed theatre with an excited audience which made the movie that much better.  It also didn't hurt to have Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig sitting a few rows away (being a huge Niners fan).

-Zork
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 03, 2008, 08:28:49 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 03, 2008, 08:21:50 PM

The second one is ok.

So there.

I believe he is talking about episodes 1-3 and you are talking about episodes 4-6.

eek!  sorry   icon_redface

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: