http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 04:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie pet peeve  (Read 2433 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »

Why is it that when someone is standing in front of glass and gets shot in the head, it always splatters blood and gore on the glass, yet somehow the bullet that delivered all of this energy doesn't shatter the glass?  I could even go for a bullet hole if I were pressed.  I'm pretty sure bullets don't stop the second they get to the opposite side of a head.

mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »

Depends on the bullet

.22LR = probably shatter and sluice through your brains like a blender
7.62x54 = through your skull, the window, the wall of the house across the street, the other side of the house, and end up in the 4x4 fencepost at the back of the yard.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:33:28 PM by mb737 » Logged
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »

He means why does the blood go through the exit wound and not the bullet.  Yes, it's dumb and I hate it too.  What I hate even more is a person getting shot with a shotgun flying backwards ten feet even though the shooter's feet stay planted.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:47:47 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 06, 2008, 06:42:13 PM

He means why does the blood go through the exit wound and not the bullet.  Yes, it's dumb and I hate it too.  What I hate even more is a person getting shot with a shotgun flying backwards ten feet even though the shooter's feet stay planted.

Ugh, yea.  When will Hollywood get over that trend??   Save yourself the cable, stunt guy, and padding for him to fall on - that isn't what a shotgun does to a person.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 07:09:29 PM »

I dunno... sometimes there is something to be said for stylishness... in some movies it works to have a shotgun blow someone across the room.  But yeah.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:14:48 PM »

My movie pet peeve is when people go see a movie and then pick it apart based on what isn't real.  I keep thinking maybe they should be watching documentaries instead of fictional pieces of work.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »

My internet pet peeve is you.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »

My pet peeve is people using pets to describe their peeves. What did pets do to deserve such a bad wrap? Jerks.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »

My pet-peeve is the word 'pet-peeve'
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »

My movie pet peeve is hot women who remain fully dressed.  Oddly, this is my real life pet peeve as well. nod

It's how I say Hello - Richard
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »

Being in the computer field, seeing unrealistic computer behavior irritates me to no end. This includes, but is not limited to:

- The inability for most movie computer users to use a mouse. "Here, let me rotate this three-dimensional diagram for you " <clackety clack clackety clack>. Either that person is a damned WIZARD with hotkeys, or Hollywood just thinks the clack of a keyboard makes it sound like they're doing something really technical.

- Search engines. "Charles Manning's the killer! Do an internet search!" Character types the name into the search engine, and instantly a page comes up with Charles Manning's street address and rotating 3D view of his head. (With the popularity of Google, I've noticed movies are getting much better at realistic search engine behavior, though most of the time it's still very abbreviated).

- Giant warning signs. Rest assured even the most complex molecular analysis programs will provide feedback to the user with a large red banner across the screen saying "NO MATCH" in giant font. These giant alerts for the visually impaired extend across all operating systems and custom software.

- Jargon for no reason. This is one of the most irritating "errors" because it just shows weak writing skills. "Hey Federal Agent Smith, nice base you have here." "Why thank you. We're running 20 megabit fiber-optic to 6 Cisco routers across a gigabit LAN for maximum throughput. All of our servers have 5 terabyte solid state drives with hydrogen cooling systems and onboard 1 gigabit video RAM." Errr...throwing a bunch of technological terms into a sentence...even if it makes some semblance of sense (which it often doesn't), doesn't impress me much, and - unless you're a computer geek - rarely exists in real conversation.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 06, 2008, 07:38:48 PM

Being in the computer field, seeing unrealistic computer behavior irritates me to no end. This includes, but is not limited to:

- The inability for most movie computer users to use a mouse. "Here, let me rotate this three-dimensional diagram for you " <clackety clack clackety clack>. Either that person is a damned WIZARD with hotkeys, or Hollywood just thinks the clack of a keyboard makes it sound like they're doing something really technical.

You can do everything that you can do with a mouse with a keyboard, including rotating 3-D models.  I work with animators that do that every day.

Other than that, I'm with you. slywink
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »

I know it's possible, I just wonder if it's likely. Seriously, you'd think mice didn't exist in the land of movies.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

I love it when they say "Right there, can you zoom in on that?"  And he's pointing to a bug on a leaf on a tree in the middle of a forest and the camera being used is a parking garage camera.  It inevitably ends being to grainy but no worries "Let me just clean the image up"  About 20 bangs/seconds on the keyboard latter and "Ah ha!, I knew it was a lady bug!"  The Holiday Inn takes their security very serious and only a million $ camera with 8,000 optical zoom will do.  HaHa, kills me every time  nod

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 06, 2008, 08:11:41 PM

I love it when they say "Right there, can you zoom in on that?"  And he's pointing to a bug on a leaf on a tree in the middle of a forest and the camera being used is a parking garage camera.  It inevitably ends being to grainy but no worries "Let me just clean the image up"  About 20 bangs/seconds on the keyboard latter and "Ah ha!, I knew it was a lady bug!"  The Holiday Inn takes their security very serious and only a million $ camera with 8,000 optical zoom will do.  HaHa, kills me every time  nod

You obviously just don't understand the technology.  You have to loudly and clearly say "ENHANCE!" for it to work.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »

'Looks down in his lap and yells  ENHANCE!'

Dammit all, still won't work. Score Unchanged

morlac00 on PSN
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »

- Jargon for no reason. This is one of the most irritating "errors" because it just shows weak writing skills. "Hey Federal Agent Smith, nice base you have here." "Why thank you. We're running 20 megabit fiber-optic to 6 Cisco routers across a gigabit LAN for maximum throughput. All of our servers have 5 terabyte solid state drives with hydrogen cooling systems and onboard 1 gigabit video RAM." Errr...throwing a bunch of technological terms into a sentence...even if it makes some semblance of sense (which it often doesn't), doesn't impress me much, and - unless you're a computer geek - rarely exists in real conversation.

Why do you hate CTU, and especially Chloe?

Oops, that would be ctu don't kill me Jack!
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 08:31:47 PM »

Military computer screens that display their words one letter at a time and make a computer noise when each letter pops up on a screen. 
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »

I worked in a movie theatre long ago. While picking up all the trash was always nasty at least most of it was food. The worst was when people would leave used diapers. Some people would even stay until the lights came on to change the kid and then leave the diaper while we stood in the back waiting for them to leave so we could clean.

In actual movies I have grown a dislike to cars exploding into massive fireballs. While I don't mind it happening to a few it seems that any car shot or that lands upside has to now blow up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:38:50 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

Hackers hitting a special key combo to get to the NSA's super secret sign on page and then typing really, really, REALLY fast to figure out the password is always special. Especially when they're getting a BJ at the same time (looking at you, Swordfish).

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 06, 2008, 08:36:46 PM

I worked in a movie theatre long ago. While picking up all the trash was always nasty at least most of it was food. The worst was when people would leave used diapers. Some people would even stay until the lights came on to change the kid and then leave the diaper while we stood in the back waiting for them to leave so we could clean.

In actual movies I have grown a dislike to cars exploding into massive fireballs. While I don't mind it happening to a few it seems that any car shot or that lands upside has to now blow up.

This reminds me of a story my buddy told me recently... he took his 1.5 year old kid to see Bee Movie (yeah, I don't know), and half an hour in the kid puked all over himself, the seat, my buddy, the floor... so my buddy scooped him up and bolted... he got home and his wife said "Where are the kid's shoes?"  So she made him go back to get them.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »

I for one am sick and tired of seeing that customary shot in tv shows and movies:

In the foreground, the character or characters are grimly walking towards the camera...possibly even in slow motion.   Then suddenly in the background there is an explosion, which the characters completely ignore since they are so cool.
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 10:53:35 PM »

Hacking via some GHI
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 06, 2008, 08:11:41 PM

I've had bosses do that to me. "This 10k jpg needs to be the size of an 8.5x11 page."

PSN ID: EduardoX
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:40 PM »

mentioned earlier, but i'll repost for discussion.

i hate when a person or group of socially unacceptable miscreants, who F around for the first half of the movie suddenly develop a conscious and go on to save the world/orphanage/new girlfriend/<fill in the blank>.

see
super troopers
office space
half baked
bad santa
hancock (looks like it anyways)
dirty deeds  (bad example with a bad movie, but it fits the pattern)

hell, just be the same characters throughout.  if i wanted a redemption story, i'd go watch something with tim robbins in it. 

Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »

Pineapple grenades that explode like they're a pound of C4.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 01:57:20 AM »

Or those same grenades creating a fireball.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 02:39:18 AM »

Shifting gears suddenly gives you a FUCKTON more horsepower when racing.

gellar
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 06, 2008, 11:36:40 PM

mentioned earlier, but i'll repost for discussion.

i hate when a person or group of socially unacceptable miscreants, who F around for the first half of the movie suddenly develop a conscious and go on to save the world/orphanage/new girlfriend/<fill in the blank>.

see
super troopers
office space
half baked
bad santa
hancock (looks like it anyways)
dirty deeds  (bad example with a bad movie, but it fits the pattern)

hell, just be the same characters throughout.  if i wanted a redemption story, i'd go watch something with tim robbins in it. 
Super Troopers was an awesome movie.  They did not develop a conscience, they just wanted to keep their jobs so they could keep F'in around.  Where is the conscience in that?  other than that I completely agree

It's how I say Hello - Richard
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »

i got a couple

1) fight scenes are rarely realistic at all.  Ever punch a person in the face?  well what happens is ugly,First off to hit someone in the face is stupid, you usually end up either slicing you hand up on their teeth, and/or breaking something in your hand. Hand is made up of all sorts of small bones.  Person receiving the punch usually doesnt go shake it off so easily either.  Ever wonder why all these ultimate fighetrs etc still wear gloves?  yeah, without em it would be really ugly.  Plus real fighters know to fish hook people or pop their eyes out if necessary.  Did you know you can pull a human ear off pretty easily?  anyway, hollywood makes fighting look cartoonish at best.

2) people playing checkers,  always the triple jump going on.

3) people tossing money in the air,  who the hell EVER throws money in the air

4) People dont close doors even though it is suppose to be winter time.  I live in the NE  and if someone doesnt close a door in winter it take all of one second before someone screams "close the fucking door"

5) Guys grabbing women by the arms forcefully during a heated conversation.  Its 2008, you dont grab women ( well unless you are an abuser)

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »

People cocking their weapons everytime they head into action or think that they might be.  No ejection of rounds that should be taking place if they kept working the actions like that.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 04:46:09 AM »

Being in the computer field, seeing unrealistic computer behavior irritates me to no end. This includes, but is not limited to: ...

This reminds me of a web comic I once saw where one guy was flipping out and punching a ton of commands into his keyboard because his computer was being hacked, and the guy in the next cell just unplugs it from the wall.
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »

The Wilhelm scream. It didn't bother me before I had it pointed out to me, and now it seems like every other movie has it. It completely takes me out of the movie, especially if it's a serious movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 08, 2008, 04:17:19 AM

People cocking their weapons everytime they head into action or think that they might be.  No ejection of rounds that should be taking place if they kept working the actions like that.

Similar to the above is this:  Hero points his 1911 .45 at the bad guy and commands him to do something.  Bad guy refuses so hero pulls the hammer back to emphasise that bad guy really should do what hero is asking.   The 1911 .45 (and others like it) is a single action weapon which means that the hammer HAS to be pulled back for it to fire.  If the hammer is down then they could pull the trigger all they like and nothing will happen because it locks the trigger until the hammer is pulled back.  So having a 1911 style .45 pointed at somebody with the hammer down isn't really very threatening.

Also, silencers on revolvers.   mad

Good guy gets shot in the shoulder but shrugs it off because, you know, it's just the shoulder and he continues on as if it's no more than a scratch.   The shoulder is, outside of a major organ, one of the worst places to get shot as there will be severe trauma and blood loss due to the shattering of some rather complicated skeletal structure and some rather major arterial pathways leading to the arms.  Not to mention that whatever arm is connected to the shoulder would be for all intents and purposes useless yet the good guy always seems to follow up getting shot in the shoulder with a long fist fight.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:10 AM »

Quote from: me on June 08, 2008, 04:47:56 AM

The Wilhelm scream. It didn't bother me before I had it pointed out to me, and now it seems like every other movie has it. It completely takes me out of the movie, especially if it's a serious movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

YES! I've heard this one many times.  I didn't realize it had an actual name.

I've also heard alot of sound effects that I originally heard in TES:Daggerfall.  The bear growl, the sound of alteration magic being cast and particularly the creaking door.  Heard them used in movies and comercials.
Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »

Quote from: TK-421 on June 08, 2008, 01:11:57 PM

Quote from: Arnir on June 08, 2008, 04:17:19 AM

Similar to the above is this:  Hero points his 1911 .45 at the bad guy and commands him to do something.  Bad guy refuses so hero pulls the hammer back to emphasise that bad guy really should do what hero is asking.   The 1911 .45 (and others like it) is a single action weapon which means that the hammer HAS to be pulled back for it to fire.  If the hammer is down then they could pull the trigger all they like and nothing will happen because it locks the trigger until the hammer is pulled back.  So having a 1911 style .45 pointed at somebody with the hammer down isn't really very threatening.

Gun-nerd nitpicking aside, I disagree that it's not very threatening. Even if you know the above information, I'd say having a pistol pointed at you is pretty damn threatening. Pulling the hammer back is just the icing on the I-mean-business cake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: