http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: movie - District Wars from Peter Jackson (District 9)  (Read 5451 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 17, 2009, 07:19:14 PM

Also, you guys mention a powerfull ending - anyone care to, in spoilers of course, tell me what that was?? I mean, the ending I saw, I saw coming 20 minutes into the movie

Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically, Wilkus gets screwed. He never turns back into a human. The very final shot is that of a prawn making a flower out of some junk aluminum. On the shot before that, we see Wilkus' wife holding the same memento. Christopher blasts off into space with his son, and never keeps his promise. Now, Wilkus gets to live the rest of his life as an anonymous prawn, disenfranchised and abused. It's quite the sad ending.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 17, 2009, 07:25:44 PM

Also, you guys mention a powerfull ending - anyone care to, in spoilers of course, tell me what that was?? I mean, the ending I saw, I saw coming 20 minutes into the movie

Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically, Wilkus gets screwed. He never turns back into a human. The very final shot is that of a prawn making a flower out of some junk aluminum. On the shot before that, we see Wilkus' wife holding the same memento. Christopher blasts off into space with his son, and never keeps his promise. Now, Wilkus gets to live the rest of his life as an anonymous prawn, disenfranchised and abused. It's quite the sad ending.

Spoiler for Hiden:
really? Thats it? Well, I knew 20 minutes into the movie, he would turn into an alien - also, I dont think he neccesarily got screwed - Christopher said he'd be back, IN 3 YEARS to fix him... Wilkus knew this all along

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 17, 2009, 07:24:46 PM

I actually think the movie is too "Artsy" to have a sequel - It was there to tell a story, or rather, to deliver a message, and it has done so. Any further movies will just be cash-ins by other directors and an excuse to make an action movie - again, in my opinion

Both Jackson and Blomkamp have already hinted at a sequel so I expect it to stay "in house" so to speak. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Frankly a "good" ending would have been impossible anyway- even if Wilkus got turned back to a human, his life would be over.  It's not like he ever would have been allowed to show back up at home and settle down again.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You know Wikus has been screwed how, exactly?  There was no time of reference given for the scene of the morphed Wikus making the flower out of scrap metal.  It's entirely possible that was a shot of Wikus a week or two into the future, or it could have been many years in the future.  Remember, Christopher Johnson said it would take 3 years to leave and come back to Earth.  How do you know, with certainty, that it's been more than 3 years since Christopher took off when we see Wikus making the metal flower?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 17, 2009, 07:40:06 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You know Wikus has been screwed how, exactly?  There was no time of reference given for the scene of the morphed Wikus making the flower out of scrap metal.  It's entirely possible that was a shot of Wikus a week or two into the future, or it could have been many years in the future.  Remember, Christopher Johnson said it would take 3 years to leave and come back to Earth.  How do you know, with certainty, that it's been more than 3 years since Christopher took off when we see Wikus making the metal flower?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending is ambiguous. You can choose to read one of two ways: Wilkus turns into a prawn, remains committed to his wife, and stays hopeful that Christopher will return to turn him back into a human. Or, Wilkus turns into a prawn, remains committed to his wife, but was left stranded on earth by Christopher to live the rest of his days as a prawn. The mockumentary ending of the film hints that these events may have occurred months or years in the past. Ultimately, there's no way of knowing for sure what time has passed. We'll have to see if Blomkamp and Jackson do a sequel to find out.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

Re: Ending-
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah I thought the ending was purposefully ambiguous as well.  For me you're left to wonder whether Christopher is coming back, and whether he's going to bring help for the other prawns in the form of ships to take them home, or warships to battle humanity with.  With the many references to how fast Wikus is changing, I didn't think the view of him as a prawn meant anything specific in regards to how much time has passed.  I liked that they left it ambiguous and hope they don't feel the need to do a sequel and spell it out for people.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »

Ending:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It seemed to me that Christopher Johnson was an alien of his word and he'll be back to help Wilkes in the 3 year time frame.  I thought they showed the prawn Wilkes making the flower to confirm what his wife was suspecting in the scene just prior, that the flower left on her doorstep was left by him, even though her friends said it was not possible.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2009, 02:41:45 AM »

I agree with Leo.

The story isn't over.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:22 AM »

Just got back.  LOVED it.  Surprisingly disturbing and violent.  A lot of the way it was shot reminded me of Children of Men in feel and grit.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I loved how the hero was a simple, rather dull and eager to impress sort of weak nobody, but he made a transformation into a real hero as the movie progressed, and while he starts out helping Christopher to achieve his own, simple minded ends, he is able to realize a purpose that is greater than himself by the end of the film.

I'm surprised anyone would think the ending was not intentionally ambiguous.  I think it's pretty clear that Christopher, fully realizing the sacrifice made my Wikus to help save him and his people, and reunite him with his son, means to come back, but will he?  And in what manner will he return?

As a father, I have to say I was moved by the father/son plotline and interaction, and the desperation of Christopher to protect and be with his son.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2009, 04:28:45 AM »

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the whole subject of 'three years', wasn't that was the answer that Christopher gave to say how long it would take to 'fix' Vikus? He makes him slow down and repeat it... three years to undo the transformation and the effects of 'the fluid'. At least that's what I recall. I don't think we have any idea how much time it might take him to get home, mount a rescue mission and come back.  icon_neutral

I also agree that we have no idea how much time had passed from when the ship left until we see the completed transformation and the tin flower making, post-relocation, wife musing ending.

Bring on District 10.  icon_biggrin

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2009, 04:42:16 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 18, 2009, 04:28:45 AM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the whole subject of 'three years', wasn't that was the answer that Christopher gave to say how long it would take to 'fix' Vikus? He makes him slow down and repeat it... three years to undo the transformation and the effects of 'the fluid'. At least that's what I recall. I don't think we have any idea how much time it might take him to get home, mount a rescue mission and come back.  icon_neutral

I also agree that we have no idea how much time had passed from when the ship left until we see the completed transformation and the tin flower making, post-relocation, wife musing ending.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I might be mistaken, but I thought I Christopher Johnson tells him he promises he will come back for him in three years.  This is when Wilkes is getting shot badly in the suit and he tells the alien to go on to his son and his ship....didn't anyone else see that?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Leo is right - he said that at the end... Oh, and I wasnt moved by the movie at all - And as for a sequel, I doubt it...And if it does, as I said elsewhere, it will just be an excuse for some alien wars - the story the director set out to tell, has been told.

A new one
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 18, 2009, 06:10:56 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Leo is right - he said that at the end... Oh, and I wasnt moved by the movie at all - And as for a sequel, I doubt it...And if it does, as I said elsewhere, it will just be an excuse for some alien wars - the story the director set out to tell, has been told.

According to Neill Blomkamp himself (in interviews before the film even released) there's plenty more story to tell. And the movie made more money in it's opening weekend than it cost to make so a sequel would seem almost inevitable.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 18, 2009, 04:42:16 AM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I might be mistaken, but I thought I Christopher Johnson tells him he promises he will come back for him in three years.  This is when Wilkes is getting shot badly in the suit and he tells the alien to go on to his son and his ship....didn't anyone else see that?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right, it gets repeated then as an affirmation but that is the original answer to the question of how long it will take to fix him when Christopher tells him that he has something up on the ship that could do that. Remember how Vikus makes him 'slow down the clicks' and repeat it because he can't believe he heard it would take three years? He was a little... upset... at the news, to say the least.  icon_neutral

Perhaps he never meant to take him along and it was always how long it would take to go home and bring 'the cure' back? Or how long it would take to get him home where they could do something about it? [shrug]

-craig

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »

My response to Razgon and "forward looking" is in a new thread where spoiler tags are not required. biggrin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:57:31 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 18, 2009, 11:57:30 AM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right, it gets repeated then as an affirmation but that is the original answer to the question of how long it will take to fix him when Christopher tells him that he has something up on the ship that could do that. Remember how Vikus makes him 'slow down the clicks' and repeat it because he can't believe he heard it would take three years? He was a little... upset... at the news, to say the least.  icon_neutral

Perhaps he never meant to take him along and it was always how long it would take to go home and bring 'the cure' back? Or how long it would take to get him home where they could do something about it? [shrug]

Spoiler for Hiden:
You missed an important bit there, which is that the reason it will take him 3 years to fix him is that he needs the fluid to save his people, which he realizes he needs to do once they see the medical experiments occurring in the basement of MNU, which was the other meat in the conversation you were referring to.  The actual cure doesn't take that long... the trip does.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 18, 2009, 02:59:18 PM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You missed an important bit there, which is that the reason it will take him 3 years to fix him is that he needs the fluid to save his people, which he realizes he needs to do once they see the medical experiments occurring in the basement of MNU, which was the other meat in the conversation you were referring to.  The actual cure doesn't take that long... the trip does.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, I wish I had a script or transcript or something because I honestly don't think that is correct. The first time 'three years' is mentioned, from what I recall, is earlier on when Chrisopher first sees him transforming and mentions he can fix him and that he has technology up in the ship to do so. That is well before they go back to MNU to actually retrieve the fluid and they both see the bodies being experimented on. Oh, well, time to let this go it seems... and wait for the sequel.  icon_lol

-craig

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 18, 2009, 03:09:11 PM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, I wish I had a script or transcript or something because I honestly don't think that is correct. The first time 'three years' is mentioned, from what I recall, is earlier on when Chrisopher first sees him transforming and mentions he can fix him and that he has technology up in the ship to do so. That is well before they go back to MNU to actually retrieve the fluid and they both see the bodies being experimented on. Oh, well, time to let this go it seems... and wait for the sequel.  icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
No, the first time he mentions 3 years is when they return from MNU. No question.  He basically says 'I'm sorry, but I have to save my people, so it will take longer than I originally thought.'
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 18, 2009, 04:00:31 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 18, 2009, 03:09:11 PM

More ending discussion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the whole subject of 'three years', wasn't that was the answer that Christopher gave to say how long it would take to 'fix' Vikus? He makes him slow down and repeat it... three years to undo the transformation and the effects of 'the fluid'. At least that's what I recall. I don't think we have any idea how much time it might take him to get home, mount a rescue mission and come back.  icon_neutral

Bring on District 10.  icon_biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
I might be mistaken, but I thought I Christopher Johnson tells him he promises he will come back for him in three years.  This is when Wilkes is getting shot badly in the suit and he tells the alien to go on to his son and his ship....didn't anyone else see that?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right, it gets repeated then as an affirmation but that is the original answer to the question of how long it will take to fix him when Christopher tells him that he has something up on the ship that could do that. Remember how Vikus makes him 'slow down the clicks' and repeat it because he can't believe he heard it would take three years? He was a little... upset... at the news, to say the least.  icon_neutral

Spoiler for Hiden:
You missed an important bit there, which is that the reason it will take him 3 years to fix him is that he needs the fluid to save his people, which he realizes he needs to do once they see the medical experiments occurring in the basement of MNU, which was the other meat in the conversation you were referring to.  The actual cure doesn't take that long... the trip does.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, I wish I had a script or transcript or something because I honestly don't think that is correct. The first time 'three years' is mentioned, from what I recall, is earlier on when Chrisopher first sees him transforming and mentions he can fix him and that he has technology up in the ship to do so. That is well before they go back to MNU to actually retrieve the fluid and they both see the bodies being experimented on. Oh, well, time to let this go it seems... and wait for the sequel.  icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
No, the first time he mentions 3 years is when they return from MNU. No question.  He basically says 'I'm sorry, but I have to save my people, so it will take longer than I originally thought.'
Correct.

Spoiler for Hiden:
USE THE OTHER THREAD SO WE DON'T NEED THE DAMNED TAGS!!!

Sheesh. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2009, 03:01:46 AM »

saw District 9 this evening...best movie i've seen this summer by far, and i've seen pretty much all the big releases.  while it's not the greatest scifi movie of all time, it's a refreshing take on the genre and the execution is incredible for a first-time director on such a limited budget.  awesome movie icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »

I think I'm going to catch a morning show of this finally (10:45 a.m.). Aside from Star Trek and a couple of comedies I enjoyed, I found this one of the most disappointing summer movie seasons I can ever remember. Though that certainly saved me a lot of money. Glass half full!  icon_razz

I'm dismayed when I visit movie news sites and much of the discussion is, "Well, summer movies are SUPPOSED to be big and stupid and have no story or characters to speak of" and "Well, horror movies are supposed to be stupid, gratuitously gory and not really scary." Well, I watched Aliens on cable a couple times over the weekend and no, you can do a big summer movie on a reasonable budget ($28 million in 1986, not that Cameron would do a movie on that type of budget anymore) that's smart and scary. icon_cool I'm hoping District 9 will deliver some of that feeling too.

Anyway, that's why I skipped so much of the junk parading through theaters this summer. I'm kind of glad summer's over, from a movie perspective.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »

This movie is getting 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »

I take aggregators with a grain of salt (even when tomatoes are involved).

I did find it entertaining and thought provoking.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't know if a sequel's in the works, but I would love to know if the alien keeps his promise to return in 3 years.

Caveats? I feel like audience members should get a free visor to protect themselves from all the geyers of vomit, blood, and exploding body parts and limbs in the film. I've no problem with it (though at times yesterday morning I'd catch myself nervously laughing and sort of covering my head like all the spraying fluids and blood would hit me icon_smile), but I know lots of folks who would probably not be willing to sit all the way through that stuff. For me, it brought back some fun memories of Robocop in 1987 in terms of the over-the-top gore. I think Paul Verhoeven (at least the pre-Basic Instinct Paul V.) would like it.

I don't mind cussing with variety, but is there no obscenity other than the accented "FOOK!" in the South African vocabularly?  icon_razz A little bit of "FOOK!" goes a long way. I'm not sure yelling it about 15 times in succession gets the point across any better.

Lastly, I found the aliens to look a lot like the mutated Fly at the end of David Cronenberg's 1986 version of The Fly:
http://www.popsucker.net/2008/07/cronenberg_directs_fly_opera.html
I have no suggestions on a different look so lets just call that an observation rather than a criticism.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:04:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2010, 03:33:35 AM »

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I finally got to this this...

...that was a bad ass movie. Loved it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »

weird lonestar i watched it last night for the first time too, after meaning to see it for a while!

i really liked it too - a "classic" science fiction film in the sense that its really not about tech, aliens, the future and action - it just happens to be told with those props
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »

oh also im sure im preaching to the choir here - but peter jackson is great isnt he?

one last question though - when i put the movie in, after the previews but BEFORE the main dvd menu (scene selection, play, deleted scenes etc etc) there was a choice for me to pick either a human stickfigure or an alien stickfigure, with a slash through it.  what did this do?
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »

The human figure with the slash thru it is not selectable.........yet.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »

I was able to select it...It changes the menu type.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on January 23, 2010, 05:49:44 PM

oh also im sure im preaching to the choir here - but peter jackson is great isnt he?

FYI...Jackson was only the producer for District 9.  the movie was written and directed by Neil Blomkamp, who based the it off of a short film he had done previously.  he's the real genius behind the film.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »

I don't know.  The lame dialogue in the third act isn't really a sign of genius to me.

The rest of the movie, however, is.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »

Don't faint, but this got a Best Picture nomination today, no doubt a beneficiary of the increase in nominations from 5 to 10. I say "no doubt," cause I don't think the Academy would've had an open enough mind about the film to nominate it if they were limited to 5 -- they'd probably have gone with a "safer" choice.  icon_smile
http://oscar.go.com/

Neil is definitely the Genius w/ the film though I think it's safe to say without Jackson's passionate support (and LOTR's massive success that boosted the weight Jackson carries as an executive producer in studio circles) in getting it wide theatrical releases globally, most folks might never have gotten a chance to see it in theaters (maybe it would've been DVD-only). icon_cool

I would've increased it to maybe 6 or 8 myself. But I think 10 gives them flexibility to recognize stuff like this and Up that might otherwise get squeezed out in a "Top 5" for reasons probably having less to do with quality than movie industry politicking.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:27:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »

I watched this the other day and found it ... underwhelming.  To me it was a rehashed crossing of Alien Nation and The Fly and used ultra violence and profanity way too much.  I know alot of people who rave about this flick but the friends I saw it with also felt the movie was average and overhyped.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: