http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Move over, Siri, here comes Cortana  (Read 470 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »

Microsoft is readying Siri rival Cortana for Xbox, PC and Phones.

This could be the most brilliant creative decision MS has made recently. 

I have to say, back when I had WP7, the voice features were already 10x better than what Siri can do on my iPhone 5 (the lack of support killed that phone, and I hate the clutter of WP8), but they lacked personality.  Bringing Cortana into the mix is a fantastic idea.  Even if you have no history of Halo, the VO actress is a good choice for a PA.  But, man, talk about tying all of your products together in one move.  Bam: synergy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »

More than that - the personal assistant is tied to *what* Cortana is - an personable AI attached to the wealth of all information. It looks like this will be the new SkyNet.

/flees

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

Bullwinkle, can I ask what it was you hated about WP8?  I'm new to Windows Phone and I only recently picked up a Nokia 900 on Craigslist when my Android phone died midway though contract and I needed something to hold me over for a year without breaking the bank.  I love WP 7.8 and I can't see me not sticking with WP when I upgrade next year.  I wasn't aware that there was that much difference between WP 7.8 and 8 other than the amount of apps that were available.  What about WP8 makes it more cluttered? 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 13, 2013, 12:56:33 PM

I have to say, back when I had WP7, the voice features were already 10x better than what Siri can do on my iPhone 5 (the lack of support killed that phone, and I hate the clutter of WP8), but they lacked personality.  Bringing Cortana into the mix is a fantastic idea.  Even if you have no history of Halo, the VO actress is a good choice for a PA.  But, man, talk about tying all of your products together in one move.  Bam: synergy.
I take it you are hoping they bring Jen Taylor to do the voice, not that they have already said they would, right?  it would be pretty cool, but I personally would want this one instead.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 13, 2013, 03:11:34 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 13, 2013, 12:56:33 PM

I have to say, back when I had WP7, the voice features were already 10x better than what Siri can do on my iPhone 5 (the lack of support killed that phone, and I hate the clutter of WP8), but they lacked personality.  Bringing Cortana into the mix is a fantastic idea.  Even if you have no history of Halo, the VO actress is a good choice for a PA.  But, man, talk about tying all of your products together in one move.  Bam: synergy.
I take it you are hoping they bring Jen Taylor to do the voice, not that they have already said they would, right?  it would be pretty cool, but I personally would want this one instead.

Despite the fact that her name is also my wife's name, which adds a creepy omniscience that I would not wish on my spouse, yes, I would hope for the same voice.  I can't imagine they wouldn't use her, if they do indeed go this route.

Quote from: McNutt on September 13, 2013, 03:05:52 PM

Bullwinkle, can I ask what it was you hated about WP8?  I'm new to Windows Phone and I only recently picked up a Nokia 900 on Craigslist when my Android phone died midway though contract and I needed something to hold me over for a year without breaking the bank.  I love WP 7.8 and I can't see me not sticking with WP when I upgrade next year.  I wasn't aware that there was that much difference between WP 7.8 and 8 other than the amount of apps that were available.  What about WP8 makes it more cluttered? 

Well, I haven't actually used the WP8, so I can't say if it's really decent or not.  I was irritated when MS threw the WP7 (and its users) under the bus, basically, saying, "Well, thanks for the beta test, but here comes our real phone."  I liked the WP7 tile layout, but I find the different sizes and colors combined with the updating information on WP8 to be ugly, too busy, and confusing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

Got it.  Yes, I was not happy that they made apps from WP 7 and 8 incompatible so that developers basically dropped WP7 apps, but I guess I can understand why it was done.   Still wasn't a good decision to build customer loyalty.  I do like the different sizes and colors of the tiles though as it sets the OS apart from Android and iOS, so I'm glad to hear that's your complaint.  I can live with that one. 

I haven't played Halo, so I don't know about Cortana.  Looking forward to trying it out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on September 13, 2013, 03:33:01 PM

I haven't played Halo, so I don't know about Cortana.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Be warned that an image search for Cortana may venture into NSFW territory, and "looking forward to trying it out" definitely has alternate meanings on the internet with regards to naked holographic robots.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

Hopefully the new voice feature will have better writing than the halo series.

Spoiler for Hiden:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 13, 2013, 04:28:17 PM

Hopefully the new voice feature will have better writing than the halo series.

hopefully they remember to let the program actually finish giving directions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

WP8 > WP7.8 > WP7.5 (as it should be).

WP8.1 is looking to drastically improve things with tile groupings etc (rumoured at this point). The organization of tiles is actually better. I use the voice-commands all the time with my BT - it would be nice if there were some other functions available besides multimedia and phone / text functions added (like asking the time, the temperature, start a specific app, toggle key functions like wifi etc) and having a less robotic feel to that particular functionality.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »

What do you mean by tile groupings?  Is that like a folder?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »

In Windows 8 (not WP8) you can group tiles together under a heading - and with Windows Phone 8.1 looking to allow multi-select :

http://www.wpcentral.com/notification-center-and-multi-tile-select-coming-windows-phone-81

it stands to reason that managing large amounts of tiles will become easier.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2013, 04:15:38 PM

Quote from: McNutt on September 13, 2013, 03:33:01 PM

Be warned that an image search for Cortana may venture into NSFW territory, and "looking forward to trying it out" definitely has alternate meanings on the internet with regards to naked holographic robots.

Cortana in Halo 4 was already venturing into NSFW territory.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »

oooo, I found the new MC and Cortana models (thank Pug for getting me to test his theory!)

Spoiler for Cortana:

(I have a theory - it goes something like MC thinks his armor takes care of bodily functions - so he peed himself)

Spoiler for Just Master Chief (I promise, no spiders!!):

Hey, I'm sure Rittchard can appreciate this one! (Destroyer of "Halo"s indeed)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:49:59 PM by Purge » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: