http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 04:05:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola Droid  (Read 10496 times)
Havoc76
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on December 23, 2009, 08:50:53 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 23, 2009, 07:46:26 PM

Don't use the default, sorry.

Just wanted to chime in again: I love my Droid.

What DO you use for email?

It has been working fine for me. I use it with an Exchange connection to receive my work email.
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »

Quote from: Havoc76 on December 23, 2009, 11:48:08 PM

It has been working fine for me. I use it with an Exchange connection to receive my work email.

Ditto. It also syncs with my work calendar with no problems. You may want to try uninstalling some of your apps - maybe they are interfering with the email client for some reason.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2009, 02:33:28 AM »

Gmail.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »

It's 6 months later. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of getting one, but the demo at the kiosk i visited had these problems:

1. The touchscreen was OMG don't breath next to it sensitive.  Also, it seemed like the touchscreen lagged a bit behind what I was actually typing
2. I'm sure knuckleheads have moved stuff around on it, but I had difficulty finding anything. I had to use the onboard search feature to find anything
3. The Keyboard blew.  No shift buttons?  Got to hit the modifier to input numbers? WTF?
4. How well does the google turn by turn directions feature work?

Other questions:

HOw's the limitation on onboard memory working out? has it been an issue?

How are the aps? i did a quick look through and they mostly seemed like quirky things (studfinder, flashlight, etc) but nothing of real use.

How maddening is management of running aps?

Is there a notes feature? Say if you're chatting to whomever and you want to type up a note (grocery list for example)...

What are other pros and cons of the phone?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2010, 03:13:20 AM »

Droid!

Love it.

1. I don't notice your #1... it's definitely sensitive, but you get used to it... I don't notice lag... I type fast.
2. You can arrange stuff easily on the 3 sections of the desktop, plus everything is alphabetically listed in the main menu.
3. I use the touch keyboard exclusively, and I think it's a lot better and faster... I think though, either way, you just hit shift and it goes into number mode until you hit space, and i know in the touch keyboard you can 'lock' the shift on whatever screen you are using.
4. My experience with the directions is that it works extremely well.... I don't use it a ton since I live in a town of 30K, but I've used it a lot in Denver, and it has been good.

I haven't hit the limit on memory, so I dunno... I don't load it up with stuff... zune is for that.
There are a lot of useful apps.  Weather, maps, browser, an AWESOME chromatic tuner, a kick ass level, an IRC app, a movie app, facebook, scoreboard, normal stuff, mp3 player, comics, google goggles, some games, notes, email... all of those get quite a bit of use, and I haven't paid for anything yet.  Google skymaps is just fun and cool.  Anything I've wanted to do, I've found an app for. 

Managing apps is easy, really.  They are running.  I got an app called advanced task killer, and I just bring that up sometimes and I can kill all open apps with it at once (or leave some open... and it's smart about which ones I probably want to leave open).

I downloaded a notes feature called 'notes' that is exactly what you asked for... I have lists like beer to try, a salsa recipe, directions someone gave me to a party...

The cons...
I haven't looked into it too much, so maybe it's easy to fix, but it seems like it isn't simple by default to have it keep reminding you of a missed call or message with a sound... however, there is a green light on the front that blinks when something like that has happened, in addition to a sound and vibration when you originally get the text or miss the call.

I'm not a big fan of the slide out keyboard, but I've got a jammed thumb, so it's uncomfortable... ymmv.  I think the touch keyboard is great.

Other pros...
At the core the system is really good.... it's super easy to get around in, sharp looking, good at playing music...

It's easy to plug it into the computer and drag stuff onto it.

The camera takes nice pictures and videos.

Really, it's the coolest piece of technology I've owned... Love it... couldn't live without it!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »

Apparently, the Android 2.2 update (which I assume you don't need a new phone for) allows for streaming apps off of the SD card!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »

Free today at Wirefly for new or existing Verizon customers.

disclaimer: I didn't read the fine print.  icon_lol

It's a good device, but I've had some complaints here at work about the voice quality. I prefer my Droid Incredible by HTC.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »

The Droid 2 has already been leaked and it's been 6 mons since release...not to mention a bunch of other, better Android phones.  I would stay away from this.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 11, 2010, 03:26:25 PM

The Droid 2 has already been leaked and it's been 6 mons since release...not to mention a bunch of other, better Android phones.  I would stay away from this.

Any with physical keyboards?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

I am on my second month of my Droid Incredible.

To reiterate what was said above..."Really, it's the coolest piece of technology I've owned... Love it... couldn't live without it!"

Navigate works just great- hey it's google maps.  It tells you where to go and you get there...and it processes really fast.  I do like the street view picture that pops up when you arrive- it SHOWS you where you destination is.

I have the touch screen keyboard and after 8 weeks I am I think happier with that than with my prior hard keyboards.  You can adjust it to know your fat finger size and it works great...no real problems for me now at all, but it did take some time.

Google integration is spot on.  My google calendar and phone calendar sync in seconds.  Gmail is fast.  Google Voice (if you can get an invite) is so cool-- it emails you the the text of your voice mail...as well as the recording.

It has a note pad.  The apps in general are interesting.  Lots and lots of useful ones...although some of the commercial ones (like companies that put out apps) still lag behind for the Android but that is changing albeit slowly.  One thing you do notice is that there are tons of bad apps since the store is basically open and has many fewer restrictions than Apple...and it shows.  I suppose in the long run that may be a good thing but it does tend to clog the market with lots of Sexy Girl bouncing apps....(not that I don't like bouncy).

And that is my .02.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »

What about the music players? Can you still use the phone while the music is playing (like navigate to contacts, other menus and such?)  Also, this may seem ridiculous, but can you control the song order via playlist (my current phone only plays in alphabetical order).

How's the bluetooth connectivity?
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 11, 2010, 05:23:46 PM

What about the music players? Can you still use the phone while the music is playing (like navigate to contacts, other menus and such?)  Also, this may seem ridiculous, but can you control the song order via playlist (my current phone only plays in alphabetical order).

You can run multiple apps at once. For example, the Pandora Radio app can be used to listen to music while you do other things.  Can't do that with an iphone.  That goes for the music player too.

And the music player does have playlists.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »

And the built in player makes it really easy to create ringtones as well.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »

The Droid is still probably the best Android phone with a physical keyboard (albeit a horrible physical keyboard), but if you give that up an Incredible, EVO, or Nexus One are probably better choices.

If you get an Android phone, the best thing about it will be you can make the phone whatever you want it to be. Don't like the stock music player? Change it. Don't like the stock home screen application? Change it. Don't like the stock web browser? Change it. Even without rooting your phone you can pretty much change anything you want. Also, all the widgets make you able to customize your home screens however you want.

Also, there are many cool features that you can use in Android that other phones don't allow. Want to use your phone as a USB tether? There's a (free) app for that. Want to put your iTunes playlists and music from your PC onto your phone? There's an app for that ... for Android.

Not being able to store apps on the SD card is a non-issue: A. You'd have to install a megaton of apps to run out of room. B. Android 2.2 (Froyo) coming out later this year lets you install apps to the SD card (as mentioned above).

The Droid doesn't have the ultra-crisp smoothness of the iPhone, and still doesn't have the app library it does (although the Android market can boast some apps that won't be on the iPhone market anytime soon - if ever). The Droid incredible features smoothness very much like the iPhone, and I assume the Nexus One is no different.

I have been very happy with my Droid even if I am envious of the smoother performance of the Incredible and iPhone. But, I bought the Droid as a smart phone, iPhone replacement since I wasn't willing to switch from Verizon to AT&T - despite REALLY wanting an iPhone. When I buy my next phone, even if the iPhone is out for Verizon, now it will be a tough call (even though I still love the iPhone), as Android gives you certain freedom that Apple is likely never going to match on the iPhone.

-John

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »

SL, I routinely use the music player on my droid when I go for walks... when I get a phone call, it automatically mutes (and I think pauses?) the music while I have the phone conversation, then automatically comes back on once I'm done... all while I have the headphones on!

You can make a custom playlist, but it's kind of a pain... it will order stuff by album order unless something is weird with the files (I think the albums I've had issues w/ were wmas instead of mp3s)... if the order is weird, it goes alphabetically.  I suppose you can get a different player, as JCC mentioned.

The new android HTC phones look pretty awesome...
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »

If people are hungry for a top of the line Android phone with a keyboard, all of the latest rumors are that Moto will be releasing the Droid 2 in August. The keyboard looks to be vastly improved (although the placement of the return key is less than ideal).

That being said, I'm pretty much a convert to the no-physical-keyboard path. I installed Swype as my keyboard on the Incredible. I'm growing to love it more and more each day. It's starting to get really fast for me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:35:22 PM by GuidoTKP » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »

Swype, eh? Might have to check that out.

The main problem with the droid physical keyboard is the little mousepad sort of thing... it's just in the way.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2010, 01:01:51 AM »

Must not be droid compatible?  I don't see it in the app store.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »

Quote from: kratz on June 12, 2010, 01:01:51 AM

Must not be droid compatible?  I don't see it in the app store.

Maybe your version of Android does not support it?  I heard that's how they deal with fragmentation, making it invisible to non-supported OS.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 12, 2010, 01:33:41 AM

Quote from: kratz on June 12, 2010, 01:01:51 AM

Must not be droid compatible?  I don't see it in the app store.
Maybe your version of Android does not support it?  I heard that's how they deal with fragmentation, making it invisible to non-supported OS.

While true on the fragmentation part, Swype is in/near/done beta testing and may or may not show up on the market. I know I've seen it available for 'alternative' ways of downloading (basically download the app via your PC and transfer it to your device and run it via Astro or other programs).

I know I've seen it available via XDA Developers and other sites for my phone. Just gotta find it on their forums. Great site BTW. Been visiting there as a Sprint HTC Evo member running Android 2.1 as well. AFAIK, it should work on the Droid.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2010, 03:09:58 AM »

quoting myself since I left out the most important part of the sentence....(added in caps)

Quote from: JCC on June 11, 2010, 08:05:01 PM

Want to put your iTunes playlists and music from your PC onto your phone WIRELESSLY? There's an app for that ... for Android.

I still can't believe Apple doesn't allow this yet for the iPod Touch and iPhone.

-John

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

Now I'm wondering if I should wait for Droid 2 or just go ahead and jump in.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2010, 02:05:49 PM »

If you're on Verizon SL, I'd get the Incredible without any hesitation.

I have the Evo and it couldn't be more slick.
Eco
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 12, 2010, 02:05:49 PM

Eco

Must HAVE PHYSICAL KEYBOARD.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 12, 2010, 03:24:48 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 12, 2010, 02:05:49 PM

Eco

Must HAVE PHYSICAL KEYBOARD.

But they suck so everyone is trying to steer you in the right direction.  Don't even bother with these phones if you want a physical keyboard.  Get an old form factor like a Bold or something like that. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

Why is the physical keyboard so important?  I thought I would use the physical keyboard all the time... then I realized the touch keyboard ruled it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »

I dunno. I just am not quite there yet on virtual keyboards...I need tactile...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 12, 2010, 05:30:45 PM

I dunno. I just am not quite there yet on virtual keyboards...I need tactile...

A good virtual keyboard is better than a shit physical one.

As leo mentioned, if you really need a good physical keyboard, your only option is Blackberry.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 12, 2010, 04:35:31 PM

Why is the physical keyboard so important?  I thought I would use the physical keyboard all the time... then I realized the touch keyboard ruled it.

Agreed totally. I've been a physical keyboard person for ages (Treo 650, HTC Mogul, Palm Pre), but now with the HTC Evo, I've found that I don't need it anymore. The virtual keyboard is just that good, especially if you flip it sideways. My Evo's keyboard is practically half the length of my netbook's keyboard, it's that big.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2010, 05:48:42 PM

Quote from: kratz on June 12, 2010, 04:35:31 PM

Agreed totally. I've been a physical keyboard person for ages (Treo 650, HTC Mogul, Palm Pre), but now with the HTC Evo, I've found that I don't need it anymore. The virtual keyboard is just that good, especially if you flip it sideways. My Evo's keyboard is practically half the length of my netbook's keyboard, it's that big.

I also agree.

I've used the Blackberry Bold 9000 for a year or so, and had 3 other blackberrys before it and was the biggest advocate of physical keyboards being a requirement.  It took my 3 days to get used to the Evo keyboard and now, with Swype, I type as fast or faster on the virtual keyboard.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

I was going to try that Swype thing with my Droid Incredible, but they closed the beta.

I'm an old man and got used to the screen keyboard pretty quick. I don't think I ever even used the Moto Droid's physical keyboard.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »

Not being able to store apps on the SD card is a non-issue: A. You'd have to install a megaton of apps to run out of room. B. Android 2.2 (Froyo) coming out later this year lets you install apps to the SD card (as mentioned above).

This has always been a MAJOR issue for me ever since the beginning of Android. Of course you can install a ton of apps/games to the phone because developers are limited in what they can do. If they make an app that's 100mb (as many iPhone and Palm Pre games are that size and above) they know they are severly limiting how many people will be able to download it. With the iPhone, Pre, or windows mobile - you can download any size file to your memory card. It lets app developers really experiment with better games and apps. I have plenty of Palm Pre games that are over 100mb, games that simply won't be able to run on Android in it's current state.
So I don't know how you consider that a "non issue".. unless you are happy playing UNO and Chess on your Android phone!

But point B you are definitely correct.. after all this time it looks like Google is finally opening up the memory card to apps and games. Far past due.
This should hopefully give us games like we see on the iPhone and Pre now, including the possiblity of a real MMORPG. I've played plenty of Project INF (real-time online multiplayer game for 24 players) the developers said there was only so much they could do with the game because they had limited memory to work with and had to try to keep the file small so most people could play it.

With Windows Mobile allowing the saving of apps/games/videos/whatever directly to the memory card for many years now, it's amazing Google has taken this long to allow the same thing. If all Android phones came with at least 8GB of internal memory like the iPhone and Pre then it would have been a non-issue.. but since they don't, developers had always been limited in what they could do with their games and apps until Froyo. (2.2)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »

Forgot to ask about call clarity both with and without bluetooth. icon_redface

How aggravating is the lack of voice dialing via bluetooth?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

FYI as far as the external card goes:

1) ALL developers must you to install programs onto the external card before you'll be able to move said programs there. In other words, this isn't a 2.2 issue - the developers need to recode their programs to allow it as well.

2) Some programs have already gotten around the internal storage problem - some games require you to do a download and install after the fact and it puts the game data onto your memory card. Problem in that case is it requires said card, but it's a small file (~20MB for Heavy Gunner if memory serves, one of the games I have on my Evo).

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on June 12, 2010, 09:37:16 PM

I was going to try that Swype thing with my Droid Incredible, but they closed the beta.

I'm an old man and got used to the screen keyboard pretty quick. I don't think I ever even used the Moto Droid's physical keyboard.

I think this will work on your phone, as I think it's the same OS and resolution as the Evo (480x800). If so, visit this post and download (may require forum registration, but it's a great place anyway). Install via Astro or some 3rd party install program.

EDIT: Link changed with FAR more options.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:24:44 AM by Destructor » Logged

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2010, 11:52:42 PM

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on June 12, 2010, 09:37:16 PM

I think this will work on your phone, as I think it's the same OS and resolution as the Evo (480x800). If so, visit this post and download (may require forum registration, but it's a great place anyway). Install via Astro or some 3rd party install program.

EDIT: Link changed with FAR more options.

Sweet! Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »

Also, there are many cool features that you can use in Android that other phones don't allow. Want to use your phone as a USB tether? There's a (free) app for that.
Where/What please?
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2010, 02:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2010, 01:49:44 AM

Also, there are many cool features that you can use in Android that other phones don't allow. Want to use your phone as a USB tether? There's a (free) app for that.
Where/What please?
I use PdaNet.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:37 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on June 13, 2010, 02:28:54 AM

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2010, 01:49:44 AM

Where/What please?
I use PdaNet.

That's the program of choice (register to allow https sites). Or if you have the Evo, there's a driver you can find on the MicroSD card for the Windows platform that allows you to use a totally native app to USB tether. Heck - it even asks you if you want to use it when you plug the Evo into your PC.

And while I know this is a Droid topic, the Evo now has free wireless tethering as well IF you've rooted the phone. Go go hacking community. biggrin

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2010, 06:35:34 AM »

I have a droid running the 2.2 and it's fucking amazing. everyone who says they don't want flash/don't see a need are fucking crazy. no seriously, you're crazy. works perfectly with the new update, no stuttering at all on videos. having gifs play in the browsers is awesome now. once this takes off should see some good mobile flash games.
froyo really is ridiculous with the speed. my phone is just a tad under the nexus one for benchmarks and once i move over to bugless it'll beat it.

for the apps to be moved to the SD card the dev must add the feature, lots already are.

shape writer=swype, get that instead. already amazed everyone i showed it to.

tethering is built into froyo. works well, no wireless though unless you root and there's little reason not to(well having a bnet auth tied to your phone is a pain in the ass).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: