http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 03:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola Droid  (Read 10630 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »

Well some of us aren't on ATT and don't have an iPhone.  I see that Verizon has officially announced the Droid today, with pics and price and release date (soon!).  This phone basically made the Storm2 get ZERO vis from Verizon....but do I want one?  What are the thoughts of those without the iPhone around these parts?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »

I only have an iPod Touch so I think I'm eligible, right?.  icon_wink

Endgadget has posted some early impressions and unboxing stuff:

Unboxing:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-unboxing/

First Hands-On:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-first-hands-on/
This includes a side-by-side comparison with an iphone in certain things including web browsing. The Droid's longer and a little narrower. It seems pretty snappy in terms of finger-wipe scrolling, though the iphone seems to load pages a bit faster.

I'll be interested to see how its app store shapes up cause really that's the iPhone's Holy Grail. The thing is, the Apple app store didn't have 85,000 apps in it the day it launched. So I always roll my eyes when some new smartphone with a fledgling app store launches, and critics/fans say "yeah but it doesn't have 85,000 apps in it! It sux!" I mean, you have to *start* somewhere, right? You're not going to get a flood of apps for something new until it's been around a while and people have some confidence it's a platform worth developing on, presumably. It took a while, but the Pre's Web OS apps store is finally filling in a little bit for example.

Doesn't this belong in the Hardware section? Won't a moderator find us a home?  icon_smile (I just mean it won't get lost there cause that section's less frantically busy than Off-Topic)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:16:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »

They are definitely going for "iPhone killer" if you've seen the tv ads. Looks interesting except for the weird offset edge at the bottom. But I can't imagine that anything will be an iPhone killer unless it comes out at $50 or something. Differentiating features like a flash aren't going to change many minds, and multitasking really isn't needed on the phone. Besides, it uses up a lot of battery, and the things most people care about - listening to music while doing other stuff or checking basic apps like mail while on the phone - the iPhone can do. It looks like over time both Apple and Android phones will have nice app stores, and I'm sure Android phones will take some market share, but the iPhone isn't really in trouble. The one case where I could see some serious damage being done is if Android managed to make some serious inroads in business. My company is probably 50% iPhone, but it isn't officially supported. If you want to get your phone bill fully reimbursed you have to get a Blackberry.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »

Yeah, some speculate "Jobs never forgets" and all the "i Don't" ads would prohibit Verizon from ever carrying the iPhone. Others say that's baloney.

Gizmodo has its impressions:
http://gizmodo.com/5391825/motorola-droid-first-hands-on-its-a-terminator
The 3.7-inch display, packed with pixels, looks simply amazing. Text is ridiculously crisp, thanks to a 854x480 resolution that makes for 267ppi. Seriously, looking at my inbox is kinda making me drool. (The iPhone is 163ppi.) Besides clarity, touch response seems dead on. The keyboard works way better than it looks. It appears flat, but there's a slight bump to every key that, combined with the soft rubber texture, just works. It's way better than the Palm Pre keyboard. The d-pad, I don't think anybody would miss it if it was gone. The touch sensitive keys on the front, I sorta wish were real buttons.
I noticed in the video it has a very iPhone-ish onscreen keyboard available for those not crazy about hardware keyboards.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »

Why wouldn't Apple want to go to Verizon too...it's millions of potential customers.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:39 PM »

Yeah the fact that the Droid is on Verizon is its biggest selling point for me. I'm strongly considering getting one, if I can justify the price.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »

My wife got an iPhone as a gift two years ago from a higher up in her company.  Most expensive gift we ever received as we were still under a Verizon contract.  We both had to switch and I needed a new phone (though I didn't get an iPhone).

Now two years are up, and we've never really liked AT&T.  My wife likes her phone a lot, but hates the service enough to switch.  The Droid may be a good solution for both of us.

What are the contract prices like?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:23:37 AM »

Preordered today, should have it Nov 6. $330.

I assume unlike AT&T they don't have a special plan for it and the unlimited data plan would work, which is about $70 a month.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 29, 2009, 12:23:37 AM

I assume unlike AT&T they don't have a special plan for it and the unlimited data plan would work, which is about $70 a month.

$100 rebate though right?  In the form of a debit card?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »

looks cool, but after my horrible experience with Verizon in Baltimore (they fucked up my number setup, so anyone calling me would have to dial 11 digits instead of 10 and it would count as a long distance call plus reception was horrible for my phone) I doubt I'll switch.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »

I've been very interesting in ANY iPhone alternative from Verizon for a while now. My wife and I were Alltel customers (it's hard to get a signal at our house) and last year I bought her a new "smart" phone for X-mas (I hate hers, she likes it ok). So, we are stuck with Verizon until end of next year. I love the iPod Touch (I own one) and have loved my experience with the iPhone, so I would love for Verizon to get it, but it's kind of in a "maybe next year" mode for now. The only thing I don't like about the iPhone (besides AT&T) is the lack of a physical keyboard. While I have gotten somewhat accustomed to the VK on the iPhone, it's still a one finger typing style instead of 2 thumbs, so it's noticeably slower and I still make mistakes. So, I have vowed to get something with a keyboard if I go for a Verizon alternative. To this point, every Verizon phone with a touch screen I have tried, I have absolutely hated. I was very VERY excited recently over the Palm Pre. I tried one at a Sprint store and LOVED it. It's main drawback is the keyboard is a little small. Plus, Palm seems to be on the brink so to speak, so who knows if their WebOS will take off. Anyway, it's not coming to Verizon until January at the earliest, so I was resigned to waiting, until I heard about the Droid. I am quite excited to try one out on Nov. 6th and then decide whether or not I want it. I am very hopeful. Most impressions seem to be very positive at this early stage. For those who don't want the physical keyboard, you should check out the cheaper Droid Eris coming out on the same day.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »

As much as Android interests me, I don't know that I can give up my iPhone. The lack of physical keyboard was a hard transition at first, but two things have made it much, much easier:
  • The inclusion of the landscape keyboard for *most* apps makes two-thumb typing a snap.
  • The extremely robust built-in dictionary corrects many of the mistakes that I make with the virtual keyboard.

I find the iPhone's simplicity elegant and hard to top. I have few issues with the phone, coverage or other features. Add to that the massive number of apps in the App Store and it becomes formidable to compete with.

That being said, I'll take a wait-and-see approach with the new Android phones. Apple's lackluster(IMO) upgrade with the 3GS left a bitter taste in my mouth as it gave me no compelling reason to upgrade. That, and the failure to include video recording with the 3.0 software for the 3G was a cheap ploy to force those on the fence to upgrade.

Unless Apple announces a true hardware update next June, I'll be looking at all options. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »

I got a mytouch 3g couple months ago. Let me tell you, android is fuck awesome man. I have absolutely zero interest in anything that apple does and will ever do. google did not disappoint with their OS. the ability to run widgets is great. having weather, twitter feeds, news feeds all right on your home screen at a glance is great. there is tons of great apps out too. we should be getting chrome and flash support soon as well. you won't see that on the iphone any time soon.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on October 29, 2009, 01:53:11 AM

• The extremely robust built-in dictionary corrects many of the mistakes that I make with the virtual keyboard.

The dictionary is one of my wife's biggest complaints.  It's constantly inserting the wrong word, to the point where her signature had to be: "Sent from my iPhone.  Please excuse typos."

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 02:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 29, 2009, 12:33:00 PM

Quote from: rickfc on October 29, 2009, 01:53:11 AM

The dictionary is one of my wife's biggest complaints.  It's constantly inserting the wrong word, to the point where her signature had to be: "Sent from my iPhone.  Please excuse typos."

Yeah, sometimes it puts in the wrong word with the iPhone's predictive text, but I mainly run into that problem with curse words.  Fucking gets corrected to Ducking, that kind of stuff.  If she X's out of the word before it's autocorrected, it'll eventually learn that's what you meant to type and stop autocorrecting it.  It used to change 'Yo' to 'To' and then one day it stopped doing it.[/list]
      TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »

Isn't "droid" trademarked by Lucasfilm?
      Isgrimnur

View Profile
      « Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 02:28:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2009, 02:25:25 PM

Isn't "droid" trademarked by Lucasfilm?
      Yyyyyes it is, and there is a fine print on the TV ads to state that as well.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
      lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

What is the gold button to the right of the keyboard for? Haven't seen that explained yet.

Crux
      Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
      « Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »

Unless some major sucky revelation comes out about them, I will be getting one soon.
      leo8877

View Profile
      « Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 29, 2009, 03:51:25 PM

What is the gold button to the right of the keyboard for? Haven't seen that explained yet.

I think it's like a little navigation nub
      Meisterbrew
      Special Project Group
      Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
      « Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »

If verizon can ever fix there snafu about the touch pro 2 always being out of stock ill be off att (and sorta kinda miss my iphone) quicker than jumpin jack flash on crack cocaine, speed, and meth....

I HATE big blue in this area... (no 3g once so ever for 40 miles), calls always a dropin, and my calls will sometimes even go distorted and have to hangup and call them back...

I want my alltel back!   DAMN YOU FREE WORK PHONE!

/endrant
      Bullwinkle
      Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
      « Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2009, 04:04:24 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on October 29, 2009, 03:51:25 PM

I think it's like a little navigation nub

Yeah, I think it's more of a joystick than a button.

walTer

View Profile
      « Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »

Hate ATT service.  I have and love Verizon.  Looks like I will never get an iPhone.  I will be getting the Droid. While it doesn't seem as slick at the iPhone, it looks like it has a lot of great features...biggest for me is WiFi...woot!  3 months left on my current contract...gives me time to save up for one smile
      Graham
      Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »

My contract expires close to the end of the year.  I was looking at getting an iPhone, but the cost of an AT&T plan is much more than my current Sprint plan.  I might have to look at the Pulse, but the HTC Hero at Sprint looks pretty nice too.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
      walTer

View Profile
      « Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »

I read a blurb somewhere today--but it was on the internet so it may not be true since there is nothing official--that you could possibly get this without a data plan?...although you would be stuck with only wifi...but for 450 min plus data you are looking at 70 per month and that seems less expensive that I had thought.

Now if I can get that, and then do the add another line for 9.99 plus unlimited text/pic/video messaging (our entire family all over the US has verizon) this may not be much more than I am paying now.

Lee

View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2009, 12:27:53 AM

Quote from: Lee on October 29, 2009, 12:23:37 AM

$100 rebate though right?  In the form of a debit card?

There is a $100 rebate when I get the phone, but not sure if it's a check or what though.

I had Verizon unlimited data about a year ago and it was $70 a month. Not sure if they are going to charge extra for this phone or not.
      ericb

View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Graham on October 29, 2009, 06:30:51 PM

My contract expires close to the end of the year.  I was looking at getting an iPhone, but the cost of an AT&T plan is much more than my current Sprint plan.  I might have to look at the Pulse, but the HTC Hero at Sprint looks pretty nice too.

I really wanted an iPhone too but Sprint's unlimited plan was much cheaper especially now...unlimited text, unlimited calling to any cell phone on any service, nights and weekends starting at 7, unlimited data and Sprint navigation for under $70.  It blows away AT&T and Verizon. 

The droid looks really nice though smile
      Havoc76
      Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 29, 2009, 06:43:41 PM

There is a $100 rebate when I get the phone, but not sure if it's a check or what though.

My understanding is the rebate is a $100 debit card.

though, if you get the phone at Best Buy they will give you an instant rebate instead.
      rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
      « Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Havoc76 on October 29, 2009, 07:59:56 PM

Quote from: Lee on October 29, 2009, 06:43:41 PM

My understanding is the rebate is a $100 debit card.

though, if you get the phone at Best Buy they will give you an instant rebate instead.

Best Buy is taking pre-orders starting today with the instant rebate automated rebate.
      Blackjack

View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »

Here's Endgadget's full review:
      http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/motorola-droid-review/
      So, is the DROID a good smartphone? Yes, the DROID is an excellent smartphone with many (if not all) of the features that a modern user would expect, and if you're a Verizon customer, there probably isn't a more action packed device on the network.

That's not to say the device doesn't have its faults; the camera was unpleasant to use, the application selection feels thin in both quantity and quality (despite the claim of 10,000 options), and the phone has bits of basic, non-intuitive functionality that might chafe on some users after a while. But even still, it's hard not to recommend the DROID to potential buyers eager to do more with their devices. It's easily the best Android phone to date, and when you couple the revamped OS, Verizon's killer network, and an industrial design straight from a gadget enthusiast's fever-dream, it makes for a powerful concoction.

Ultimately, the DROID won't usurp the iPhone from the public's collective mindshare or convince casual users that they must switch to Android, but it will make a lot of serious geeks seriously happy -- and that's good enough for us.

Playing
      PC
      -Grim Dawn
      walTer

View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »

This is all good..I am on board when my contract is up I think...still waiting for the most important part of it all:  How well does the phone work?  Speaker quality, dropped calls, ring/vibrate option, easy to dial, easy to get to contacts...you know, phone stuff.
      Bullwinkle
      Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
      « Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »

Quote from: walTer on October 30, 2009, 05:07:00 PM

This is all good..I am on board when my contract is up I think...still waiting for the most important part of it all:  How well does the phone work?  Speaker quality, dropped calls, ring/vibrate option, easy to dial, easy to get to contacts...you know, phone stuff.

That and the plan prices are it for me.

$70/month might be hard to convince the wife about.

Blackjack

View Profile
      « Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »

Here's LaptopMag's take on it (they love it more than a McRib sandwich...)

Motorola Droid
      A huge high-res touchscreen, speedy Web browsing, and free GPS navigation make this smart phone our top pick for Verizon Wireless.
      http://www.laptopmag.com/review/cell-phone/motorola-droid.aspx
      The Motorola Droid is hands-down our favorite smart phone for Verizon Wireless. We love the large display, free GPS navigation, and the way Android 2.0 streamlines your contacts. This is also the best mobile Web experience you can get on Verizonís network
      Cons are just that it's a little heavy, and the hardware keyboard is a bit cramped. Some reviews have remarked that maybe they should have gotten rid of the 4-way "joypad" and let the hardware keyboard stretch the length of the device.

Playing
      PC
      -Grim Dawn
      pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
      « Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

I've had this preordered since Friday.  Woot.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
      leo8877

View Profile
      « Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »

I'm thinking about ETF my current contract and picking this one up.  Looks pretty good!
      Bullwinkle
      Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
      « Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »

I talked to a Verizon guy today, and he said they won't have demos in until Friday, release day.  Pretty dumb in both his and my opinion.

He also said the plan should be the same as a blackberry or any other data plan.  He thought it might be only $30 more/month over a regular phone.  I'm already paying $15 for data, I think, so it may be fine.

JCC

View Profile
      « Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »

I've been reading quite a few reviews of the phone since the unveiling. The gist of most of them is that it's a great phone - and definitely the best in Verizon's lineup with some flaws. Most reviews knock the keyboard (while saying you get used to it).

My big gripe is the fact that it's multi-touch capable, but android doesn't support the "pinch zoom" that the iPhone and Pre have. This is a feature I love, and it's all the more galling that it's absent here when the European version of the Droid will have it. I really hope this gets patched in later or maybe someone figures out a hack or something to enable it. I still want to hold/try one out before I buy it Friday. Hopefully, I will like it as I really want a new phone and if this isn't going to be it, I will likely have to wait till January for the Verizon Palm Pre.

-John

JCC

View Profile
      « Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »

Took an early lunch today to go try out a Droid at a Verizon shop, fully believing I would be coming home with one only to come home empty handed. I had one doubt about the phone and it ended up being worse than I imagined. The keyboard - it's a deal breaker for me. I just couldn't type on it at all.

Now I guess I wait for Verizon to get the Palm Pre. Maybe some more google phones (with better keyboards) will come out before then....

-John

leo8877

View Profile
      « Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 06, 2009, 05:06:18 PM

Took an early lunch today to go try out a Droid at a Verizon shop, fully believing I would be coming home with one only to come home empty handed. I had one doubt about the phone and it ended up being worse than I imagined. The keyboard - it's a deal breaker for me. I just couldn't type on it at all.

Now I guess I wait for Verizon to get the Palm Pre. Maybe some more google phones (with better keyboards) will come out before then....

If I get one, I don't think I would use the physical keyboard at all.  I wish they actually didn't include it at all.  I guess most BB users want a physical keyboard, so that's what they are going for, right?
      JCC

View Profile
      « Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2009, 05:08:47 PM

If I get one, I don't think I would use the physical keyboard at all.  I wish they actually didn't include it at all.  I guess most BB users want a physical keyboard, so that's what they are going for, right?

Ultimately with me it's this: I still haven't found any phone from Verizon that I like as much as the iPhone. There is only one thing about the iPhone I don't like - and it's the lack of a physical keyboard. So, I have decided if I am going to "settle" for a non iPhone from Verizon (who I am stuck with through end of 2010) then I want it to at least correct the one thing I wish the iPhone had - a keyboard! I am not overly picky here, I just want a tactile physical keyboard. My wife's Motorola Q (a mostly reviled phone) has a more than acceptable keyboard. The Palm pre has a fine keyboard. The Droid doesn't. Verizon supposedly will get the Pre in January. If no other phone has come along before then, I'll probably go with that.

Anyone who doesn't want a keyboard ought to at least look at the Droid Eris as an alternative to the Droid. It doesn't run Android 2.0 (it runs 1.5), but it's only $99 and it came out today for Verizon too.

Edit: Just wanted to add, if your thumbs are smaller or more skilled than mine, you may find the Droid's keyboard more than acceptable. It's a personal preference, and I didn't care for it.

-John

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
        Print  

Jump to: