http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most disturbing movie you've seen?  (Read 7073 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »

I'm on the blockbuster total access plan so manage to catch a lot of movies.. and very few (if any) have ever actually been "disturbing" to me.. until I saw this one:

Funny Games isn't anywhere near as graphic as say, the Saw series.. but damn.. it's something else. I won't spoil anything, but I still haven't figured out what the hell actually happened in the movie.

Coming in at second I'd give it to:

Eden Lake is a new release so you should be able to pick it up at any blockbuster or add to your netflix queue. Not really 'disturbing' like Funny Games was (I don't think anything could match that, IMO) but was definitely up right up there.

What's the most disturbing (or strangest) movie you've seen?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:13 PM »

Hands-down the most disturbing film I've ever seen.  Not from a violence standpoint, but due to content and storyline.  The story's conclusion left me wanting to curl up in the fetal position in the shower. 

Outside of that, Deliverance was pretty screwed up, but not nearly as disturbing.  Rescue Dawn had its disturbing moments as well, but Oldboy takes the cake, at least for me.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »

Made of Honor.

*shudder*
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »

Oldboy is one of my favorite films of all time.  But yeah, it's a bit disturbing.

Probably the movie that disturbed me the most is Andy Warhol's Bad.  I honestly think the movie is a piece of crap and shouldn't be watched by anyone.  The scene in which a baby is tossed out a 12th story window and then attacked by a dog made me sick.  I abruptly walked out at that point. 

p.s. I've seen the original german version of funny games.  i understand the same director remade it for american audiences.  however, i wasn't all that thrilled with the original version.  the acting was great, but the actors kept breaking the fourth wall towards the end of the movie and it just didn't work for me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:33:39 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

Too many disturbing scenes to mention for just one movie.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »

Leaving Adam Sandler movies out of it, "Man Bites Dog" is the first thing that came to mind. "Jesus Camp" was awfully scary, too.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »

do NOT watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Frontiers was pretty rough too http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814685/

There is an older film called Man Bites Dog. If you can find the uncensored version of it, it's worth a watch. More morally disturbing than graphic.

There is a great picture you can get instantly on Netflix called Dead Man's Shoes that lingers with you.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »

btw, Funny Games is a remake. The original is a little better in my opinion.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »

Devil's Rain. Of course I was around 8 when I saw it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 23, 2009, 07:08:53 PM

do NOT watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Frontiers was pretty rough too http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814685/

There is an older film called Man Bites Dog. If you can find the uncensored version of it, it's worth a watch. More morally disturbing than graphic.

There is a great picture you can get instantly on Netflix called Dead Man's Shoes that lingers with you.

Dead Man's Shoes is a great, understated "revenge flick" that has a nice twist ending.  i highly recommend it.  it can be a bit slow at times, but that only added to the tension for me.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »

I will second A L'interieur, and follow it up with Audition.

Cache was also disturbing, but not for it's graphic violence.

Apparantly Martyrs is supposed to top L'interieur, man those French are messed up.

"Goonies never say die"
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »

Old Boy...   eek  left me speechless and very disturbed

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »

I was about halfway through the 2007 David Duchovny movie The Secret when I started feeling like the wind had been knocked right out of me.  It's the first and only thing I've ever seen that left me so overwhelmed, it took me more than a week to decide whether or not I liked it.  I'm still trying to deconstruct why it had such an powerful impact on me.

The Secret had a wider release outside the United States where it was titled Si j'étais toiHere's the trailer.

Imagine Freaky Friday except with all the zany antics(TM) preempted by the immediate death of one of the participants.  How do you mourn the loss of a daughter whose life you've literally taken?  How do you relate to a spouse you've loved for twenty years, but is now forever off limits?  This movie takes a long, focused, mature look at a nightmarishly incomprehensible situation, and it's absolutely steadfast against offering up easy answers.

Depending on where you look, The Secret is alternately classified as a "Family Drama," a "Psychological Thriller," or an outright "Horror" movie.  I don't know which of those is the best fit, but considering the number of nights it kept me up after seeing it, I'm leaning towards the last one. 

I think I finally did figure out what it was about this movie that really got to me, but it's still one of the most personally disturbing movies I've seen.

-Autistic Angel
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 23, 2009, 07:10:57 PM

The remake is actually almost exactly the same as the original Austrian, except for the actors and the dialogue.  The cinematography, sets, music, costumes, everything.  Usually I don't like remakes, but I like this one because it's so similar to the original.  It makes it more likely that I'll recommend it to people who wouldn't watch a subtitled movie.

As for the most disturbing movie ever, that honor goes to Salo.  That thing is messed up.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »

Happiness.

That is one messed up movie.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 23, 2009, 07:10:57 PM

It's a shot by shot remake done by the same director.  Effective movie, but totally hypocritical in it's message.

Cannibal Holocaust is up there too, especially when you realise that is a real turtle.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:35:47 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »

Seven.

Running Scared. There's a subplot in this movie that comes out of nowhere and almost completely ruined an otherwise pretty cool action/caper/suspense/drama whatever it is because it bothered me so much.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 23, 2009, 08:32:14 PM

Seven.

damn straight...man, that was disturbing   icon_biggrin

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »

Running Scared. There's a subplot in this movie that comes out of nowhere and almost completely ruined an otherwise pretty cool action/caper/suspense/drama whatever it is because it bothered me so much.

I forgot about that.  I enjoyed the movie a great deal, at least up until the part you're referring to, and my overall assessment mirrors your own.  While I understand that the filmmakers felt it important to showcase some of the more disturbing criminal elements in society, I think one portion of the storyline went a bit too far.  Overall the film had a lot of potential, and the action/caper/suspense/drama elements were well-done with a great performance by Paul Walker, but that one portion really detracted from what was ultimately a great rollercoaster ride.  The film would have be far better off without the more disturbing elements.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »

Strangeland was disgusting.

Old Boy is a masterpierce!

TheMissingLink on PSN
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 23, 2009, 09:21:46 PM

Old Boy is a masterpierce!

The
Spoiler for Hiden:
incest
storyline was just too much for me.  Up to that point I agreed with your masterpiece assessment, but the storyline resolution was beyond what I would normally find acceptable.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »

Pete, then i highly recommend that you avoid ANY french horror/suspense films made within the last 10 years.  if old boy disturbed you, those would put you in a coma then kick you in the crotch repeatedly.

i've come to the conclusion that there must be something in crepes that turns you into a sick sadist who loves seeing children and women tortured on screen.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:31:50 PM by hepcat » Logged

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2009, 08:39:53 PM

Seven.

damn straight...man, that was disturbing   icon_biggrin

God I love that video.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2009, 09:29:45 PM

Pete, then i highly recommend that you avoid ANY french horror/suspense films made within the last 10 years.  if old boy disturbed you, those would put you in a coma then kick you in the crotch repeatedly.

I've never had any interest in that type of film.  I'm not at all into horror films, and from what I know of French horror/suspense films I just have no interest in sitting through such storylines.  I just don't gain any entertainment or enjoyment out of witnessing disturbing images.  

Hell, while Rescue Dawn wasn't disturbing on the level of the French horror/suspense genre, it still was disturbing enough to leave me feeling rattled during the credits.  That just isn't fun for me.    

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »

French movie called Irreversible with Monica Bellucci, who was in the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies among other things. The disturbing part of the movie was a very long scene where her character gets raped and then beat up. Just a horrible, uncomfortable, and disgusting scene to watch.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

Japanese movie called "Audition".

Just thinking about the movie makes me sick. 

Also 'The Secret" is actually remake of Japanese movie.

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »

House of Sand and Fog
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »

Pan's Labyrinth. Seriously. I hated that movie because it seemed so cruel and unnecessarily violent. Left me feeling numb.

Other than that, The House of Sand and Fog. There's a truly disturbing scene where the main character commits suicide by suffocating to death by putting a bag over his head.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:04:09 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 23, 2009, 10:02:36 PM

Pan's Labyrinth. Seriously. I hated that movie because it seemed so cruel and unnecessarily violent.

I think the violence was kept fairly low key, considering the setting.  icon_eek  I loved that movie.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »

The first film that came to mind when reading the subject was Battle Royale which was probably more shocking than disturbing (although it was that too). But I recently saw it again and it didn't have the same effect the 2nd time as the initial time.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2009, 10:12:16 PM

Pan's Labyrinth. Seriously. I hated that movie because it seemed so cruel and unnecessarily violent.

I think the violence was kept fairly low key, considering the setting.  icon_eek  I loved that movie.
The violence was a bit over the top towards the end, but overall the movie was excellent.

I'm struggling to think of a movie that really disturbed me. My first thought is Saving Private Ryan, but that's mostly just for the one scene of the knife fight where the guy begs for his life while the other American watches.

The second thought is AI, Artificial Intelligence, but that is in large part due to the mechanics of the movie and the additional scenes at the end and not the actual content.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »

Pan's Labyrinth. Seriously. I hated that movie because it seemed so cruel and unnecessarily violent. Left me feeling numb.

Same here, but I think that had to do more with my personal expectations.  I thought it was a fantasy film with a bit of real-world war movie thown in, rather than the other way around.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »

I'll second Irreversible.  Unflinchingly brutal.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 23, 2009, 10:13:36 PM

The first film that came to mind when reading the subject was Battle Royale which was probably more shocking than disturbing (although it was that too). But I recently saw it again and it didn't have the same effect the 2nd time as the initial time.

Along those lines I'll add Versus to the list.  While it wasn't as disturbing as some of the films mentioned in this thread, I do recall wondering "WTF" throughout the film.  Asian mobsters dump dead bodies in a forest you eventually learn is the "Forest of Resurrection" and once every so many years all of the dead buried in this forest rise again.  "Conveniently" while some modern-day mobsters are disposing of more bodies we're right at the point in the cycle where the dead rise again and you're witness to a bloody, gory, violent battle between the living mobsters and the dead (including any killed in the battle as well). 

It was more "WTF" disturbing than anything else. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

I actually bought an import copy of Versus off ebay after hearing a bunch of people rave about it.  To me it came across as some kid's demo video that they made after watching Evil Dead.  I was a bit disappointed.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »

The Haunting (the original)

On the Beach

Last House on the Left

Munich left me profoundly unsettled as did Murder in First...until i found out how much artistic license was taken in making the film
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »

I'd also go with Last House on the Left. I watched it in my early teens. Up until then the only horror movies I had seen were over-the-top slasher flicks - the more realistic, gritty depiction of violence really freaked me out.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on February 23, 2009, 10:37:55 PM

I'd also go with Last House on the Left. I watched it in my early teens. Up until then the only horror movies I had seen were over-the-top slasher flicks - the more realistic, gritty depiction of violence really freaked me out.

I was expecting to be freaked by that movie, but I was actually kind of unimpressed.  Until, however, I found out the following:

1) It was shot in a vacation house owned by one of their parents.  Without the parents' permission, I believe.
2) The final scene, where the one guy was chasing them around the small house with a chainsaw, sawing everything apart? Real chainsaw.  Like, will cut your arm off chainsaw.  Think about that: one dude chasing other dudes around a tiny house with an actual, deadly chainsaw, with all the film crew in there too.  OMG!

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on February 23, 2009, 10:37:55 PM

Is there a Last House on the Left remake coming or something? I saw a preview ahead of the new Friday the 13th that I swear was Last House on the Left and I'd never heard of it before.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 23, 2009, 10:15:42 PM

I'm struggling to think of a movie that really disturbed me. My first thought is Saving Private Ryan, but that's mostly just for the one scene of the knife fight where the guy begs for his life while the other American watches.

I completely agree with you (not something I say frequently!   icon_wink).  That scene just creeped the hell out of me and is the reason why I don't want to watch the movie again.  The Omaha Beach scene was rough but nothing compared to that scene.  Jesus it gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Oldboy is also a great choice.  I knew the plot was going somewhere but I wasn't expecting that. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
And then for him to cut his tongue out just put it over the top.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: