http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday Night Football opening last night  (Read 2101 times)
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 10:12:21 PM »

Is there a controversy? What was it? I missed the first half of the game.
Here's a link, but they don't say anything about what it was.

Kinda sounds like ABC was pimping one of thier other shows, but that's not that uncommon, is it? For the NFL to weigh in on their official web site, they must have been fairly unhappy.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 10:33:42 PM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
Is there a controversy? What was it? I missed the first half of the game.
Here's a link, but they don't say anything about what it was.

Kinda sounds like ABC was pimping one of thier other shows, but that's not that uncommon, is it? For the NFL to weigh in on their official web site, they must have been fairly unhappy.

I'm guessing it's this story

Lewpats
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:46:48 PM »

Did anyone see it?  was it really that bad???

"You regret the things you don't do more than the things you do"
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 11:07:25 PM »

I've seen it replayed on ESPN,  it's not 'bad' imo.  The character that actress plays is a slut, so it very much makes sense in that context.  The thing is though, what does this do for the NFL?  In my eyes, nothing.  This was a bonus for ABC at the NFL's expense.  

I bet it opened a few eyes in the red states though, hehe.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 11:15:52 PM »

I saw it on Monday night...sitting there with my two roomies, we commented on how absolutely rediculous it was.  I mean, how would this sort of stunt pull in football viewers?  Ooooh, a lady took off her towel...ooooh how SCANDALOUS!  I'm TUNING IN!!  Not.

MNF is getting more and more retarded.  They have some weird marching band in the opening sequence, they have guests like George Lopez and Jim Belushi come into the booth...just stupid.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:05:52 AM »

The sheer stupidity of Monday night football began it's current nadir the day they decided have a loud talentless redneck hick bellow to start off the show, and umped the great music in favor of him.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:48:43 AM »

Does anyone really care? Will one person stop watching football because of this?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 03:16:40 AM »

I would think John Madden's constant babbling about nothing would turn away more viewers than this...
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 05:16:48 PM »

I missed the promo, but I read a couple different stories about this trying to see where the problem is. Nicolette Sheridan drops her towel, but all the viewers can see is her back. There was no actual nudity, unless you're going to start saying that a woman's back is now indecent as well. Maybe I'm just morally lax, but I don't understand the controversy at all.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 05:47:47 PM »

I was more upset with ABC's blatant pimping of their "Desparate" show than I was the contents of the sketch itself.

Although I was glad T.O. didn't use his sharpie on the ho-bag.   :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:52:05 PM »

First of all, DONT DISS THE MADDEN!!!

Second-the promo was cute, harmless, and trashy-just like that silly show. The fact that people are in such an uproar is just another indicatoin of how far back towards 1950's puritanical ideals we are following.

But hey, 53% of you, somewhere, voted to make this country more conservative and give more say to the same people that protest a harmless commercial.

I hope someone sues the balls off the FCC and Michael Powell. Maybe after I pass the bar I will see if I can find a lawsuit to get involved with. This is pure insanity.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 07:59:09 PM »

I don't think anyone who's an adult watching with other adults was probably offended.  But there are a lot of children who watch football out there.  You might argue that there's a heckuva lot more violence than nudity on tv and you're right.  The choice to expose children to either should be up to the parent, not the tv stations who put the stuff in primetime slots.  Those are the people who are unhappy about this incident.  Personally I don't care, but then I don't have children so I can't completely emphathize either.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:58:24 AM »

Now Tony Dungy is pulling the race card.

Dungy finds skit "racially offensive"

Nothing annoys me more than when people use the race card in instances where there is absolutely no reason to.  I do agree that there is racism in this country, but fail to see how this skit promotes that in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT:  They were discussing this over at Fark, and someone posted this.  I thought it was pretty funny...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 01:27:13 PM »

Yeah, Mr. Dungy dropped down a tad in my book.

On this same subject...

A few years back the Buccaneers played the Vikings. Dennis Green and Dungy were the coaches at the time along with Culpepper and Shaun King at starting QB for their respective teams.

You can probably see where this is going, but the thought NEVER entered my head as I sat down to watch the game.
But the announcers drilled it into everyone's head that this was the first time in HISTORY that 2 black head coaches and 2 black starting QB's were playing in the same game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for race equity and all that stuff, but until we can get over making it newsworthy when this sort of thing happens, it ain't gonna happen.

I sat down that day to watch a good game beween 2 very good coaches and a couple worthy QB's without even considering the color of their skin, until it was drilled into my head of the "significance" of the matchup.

Yeah, sure, I knew they were black...who fucking cares?!?! They are football players....or CEO's....or mailmen....or IT guys...or electricians...or

Ya know what I'm tryin' to say?
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 03:13:55 PM »

The race card was un-needed.  What was he doing?  Amazes me that there is always someone to chime in about that with total irrelavancy.

Now for TO, personally I was shocked that ABC would do something like that.  I mean, yeah its a skit and harmless per se, but what was the point?  TO sells out his team for some slutty girl on another of their TV shows?  Right, thats not going to make me watch Desperate Housewives or have any more respect for TO.  

And I kind of understand parents who were a little pissed because I guess MNF can be something kids watch and it was not the best of messages to send.  

Whats really sad though is why can't football just be football?  I mean Janet jackson and those crappy half time shows and this MNF opening are making the NFL look bad for no reason.  I know the NFL has its own internal problems but why all these dumb "shows" and crap.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 03:30:17 PM »

I don't see how the NFL can complain at all.  Every other commercial during a game is for hard-on medicine.  That's not selling sex?!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 09:15:25 PM »

Again I am baffled at how people actually care about this shit.  There was nothing offensive about the ad at all.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 09:35:36 PM »

+

=me

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 11:38:54 PM »

After hearing about the promo all day on the syndicated sports radio shows, and hearing callers from all over the country call into ESPN radio angry and offended, my expectations were definitely high when I got home.  When I had the chance to see a replay of the spot, my first reaction was "wtf...that's it??  That's what they're pissed about, some evening soap opera chick and her back?"  I can understand where someone would think it was just stupid and had no place during MNF, but to be shocked and offended, I'm definitely out of touch with mainstream America.  I guess I need to reconnect with my "society of friends" heritage to understand.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 02:13:01 AM »

game beween 2 very good coaches

ROFL
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 02:26:22 AM »

I could be wrong on this, but my opinion is that the only reason there is any controversy is because it featured a black man and a white woman.  If it werent the interracial thing (or, more specifically, the white woman thing, since Bill Maher or Robert DeNiro's choices in female companionship dont cause much of a stir), all the 'controversy' would have flown far below the radar, again IMO.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 11:20:17 AM »

Quote from: "mori"
game beween 2 very good coaches

ROFL

Ummm...why is that funny?
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 11:06:17 PM »

Not the words I would use to describe those two.  That's all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: