http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MLB 2012 Season  (Read 5780 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

Hey all, I know some of you are baseball fans.  The 2012 season is upon us.

I'm hoping my Giants are able to actually hit the ball this year.  I'm glad they signed Cain long term.  I hope that he continues to be a workhorse.  I'm heading to opening day next Friday in SF, as they open on the road.

Anyone else looking forward to some baseball?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

i am!  my fav season!

also i love detriot - no sleek navy fighters or stealthy bombers - open up the season with a10s baby!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 05, 2012, 05:49:50 PM

Hey all, I know some of you are baseball fans.  The 2012 season is upon us.

Loving it that the season has finally started.  I'm also pretty excited that Xbox just recently added MLB.TV as I was originally not going to be able to get the Extra Innings package through my cable company this year ($250 is ridiculous) but through Xbox I got it for half as much.  I'm also loving finally being able to choose between feeds as last season I was at the mercy of our cable company broadcast, which was rarely in HD and almost always the opposing team feed.

As usual there are high expectations in Philadelphia, even despite our injury problems.  Our pitching staff has even more pressure to perform each and every game this year with our batting lineup so banged up, but it wouldn't be Philadelphia baseball without a little stress with the excitement.  

Go Phils.  

Edit:  My wife also just informed me that we just got our tickets for our annual Phillies/D-Backs series coming up at the end of April.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:28:32 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »

Angels!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2012, 06:34:34 PM

Angels!

As usual, I am so confused.   icon_wink

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2012, 06:35:47 PM

Angels!

I'm pretty sure Devil just cheers for every team so he is never wrong.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

I'm a Royals fan.  April is the one time of the year when I can pretend we might win the division.

Or even finish .500.

By June all hope is usually gone.   crybaby
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2012, 07:14:58 PM

Angels!

I do recall when he tried to explain himself:

2) Tim Raines was my favorite player as a kid: Expos Fan
2a) Vlad went to the Angels as the doors were closing in Montreal: Angels Fan

But it still makes little sense.  I have more solid allegiances to skincare products than he does with sports teams.  Fabulous

icon_wink

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »

Trying to get a friend of mine to get April 28th off to see the Rays come play the Rangers.  It's bobblehead day!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Here's hoping the Rangers can prove that they're not the Buffalo Bills of the AL West and win it all this year.

Early season is hard for me to get into, however, as it's less than a week until the hockey playoffs start.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2012, 07:32:34 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2012, 07:14:58 PM

Angels!

I do recall when he tried to explain himself:

2) Tim Raines was my favorite player as a kid: Expos Fan
2a) Vlad went to the Angels as the doors were closing in Montreal: Angels Fan

But it still makes little sense.  I have more solid allegiances to skincare products than he does with sports teams.  Fabulous

icon_wink

Says a lot more about you than it does about me!  icon_biggrin

Geography is irrelevant in sport allegiance, in fact, it's foolish. 

I picked my teams when I was a young and impressionable. The Expos were a lot of fun to watch when I could see them. The Red Sox sucked and were boring. I saw no reason to root for sucky and boring because it only took a half hour to drive to the stadium/toilet when I went to their games with my Dad.

I only jumped teams when they moved. Rockies actually became the Devils though, so I don't think that counts.

icon_biggrin

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »

I lived in Vegas as a kid.  It's hard to foster a sports allegiance when there's no geographic ties.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2012, 08:07:53 PM

And you're one of the few who actually believes that.

We've been through this before.  Support who you want.  Use whatever reasoning you want.  But don't pretend that geography has little to do with loyalty or allegiances, especially when it is the basis for a majority of fan support.  You're the exception, not the rule.  Except for of course non-sports-fan significant others who choose support based upon uniform colors or player attractiveness.  You wouldn't happen to be a Beckham fan too, would you?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2012, 08:52:43 PM

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2012, 08:07:53 PM

And you're one of the few who actually believes that.

We've been through this before.  Support who you want.  Use whatever reasoning you want.  But don't pretend that geography has little to do with loyalty or allegiances, especially when it is the basis for a majority of fan support.  You're the exception, not the rule.  Except for of course non-sports-fan significant others who choose support based upon uniform colors or player attractiveness.  You wouldn't happen to be a Beckham fan too, would you?

Let me warn all the kids out there who do pick their teams on uniform.  I'm a Bengals fan because they have the best helmet in football.  Sadly, they also have the worst team in all of football.  I should have gone with geography and been a Niners fan from the get-go (instead of getting on the bandwagon now!)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »

Let's see how I got to my current allegiances, since we are sharing.  Growing up in New Orleans, we only had professional football, so I was (and still am) a Saints fan, despite having since lived in Dallas, Buffalo, Portland (OR), Minneapolis, and now Denver.

For baseball, I grew up a Blue Jays fan (I really like those birds and I was 5 when they became a franchise) and was a fan until I moved to Dallas in 1997 when I became a Rangers fan.  I then became a Blue Jays fan again when I moved to Buffalo (they showed their games on TV), a Mariners fan in Portland, a Twins fan in Minneapolis, and now a Rockies fan in Denver. 

For hockey...well, nobody likes hockey in New Orleans and I was the odd bird.  I went with the Maple Leafs (probably because they were a good pair with the Blue Jays, both being from Toronto) until I moved to Dallas, when I became a Stars fan.  Got to watch them win a Stanley Cup and when I moved to Buffalo, those guys were so obnoxious about the "No Goal!" thing, I couldn't bring myself to be a Sabres fan.  Still followed the Stars in Portland, since there was no local team, though they would show Canucks stuff, and then moved to the Wild when I moved to Minneapolis.  Became an Avs fan when I moved to Denver.

Don't care about basketball at all.

And there we have it.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »

Nationals are over .500! I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

...okay, I'm actually a little more optimistic than that this year - the starting rotation looks good, and John Lannan is buried in the minors in case anyone gets hurt, so for the first time there's actually a little bit of depth. Would be nice to see Werth have a good year this time around, too.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »

Go Tigers.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »

Opening day has been a big day for pitchers, with Halladay giving up two hits to the first two batters and then keeping the Pirates hit-less for the rest of the game, Verlander pitching a gem until having to hand the reins over to Valverde, Dempster having a decent opener until the Cubs got back to being the Cubs, and Cueto looking good against the Marlins (granted, he's pitching against the Marlins).  Josh Johnson seemed to have the most trouble last night of all the opening day pitchers, but there always seems to be a handful of aces who struggle early in the season and then get things back on track pretty quickly.  

I felt that the Phils had too many low-scoring games last year.  With our offense even more banged up, I have a bad feeling I'll be seeing a lot of 1 to 2-run games, and despite having Halladay, Lee, and Hamels, those types of games aren't always going to be in our favor.  I'll still take an opening day win, even if it is against the Pirates.  

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 05, 2012, 09:50:10 PM

Nationals are over .500! I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

It'll at least last as long as your series against the Cubs.   icon_wink

...okay, I'm actually a little more optimistic than that this year - the starting rotation looks good...

You certainly have to be happy to have Strasburg back, Clippard shows promise, but Lidge is a big question mark coming out of the bullpen. 

Would be nice to see Werth have a good year this time around, too.

And earn some of the cash Washington was a bit too anxious to send his way.  He needs more consistency at the plate.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:19 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2012, 09:07:30 PM

Let's see how I got to my current allegiances, since we are sharing.  Growing up in New Orleans, we only had professional football, so I was (and still am) a Saints fan, despite having since lived in Dallas, Buffalo, Portland (OR), Minneapolis, and now Denver.

For baseball, I grew up a Blue Jays fan (I really like those birds and I was 5 when they became a franchise) and was a fan until I moved to Dallas in 1997 when I became a Rangers fan.  I then became a Blue Jays fan again when I moved to Buffalo (they showed their games on TV), a Mariners fan in Portland, a Twins fan in Minneapolis, and now a Rockies fan in Denver. 

For hockey...well, nobody likes hockey in New Orleans and I was the odd bird.  I went with the Maple Leafs (probably because they were a good pair with the Blue Jays, both being from Toronto) until I moved to Dallas, when I became a Stars fan.  Got to watch them win a Stanley Cup and when I moved to Buffalo, those guys were so obnoxious about the "No Goal!" thing, I couldn't bring myself to be a Sabres fan.  Still followed the Stars in Portland, since there was no local team, though they would show Canucks stuff, and then moved to the Wild when I moved to Minneapolis.  Became an Avs fan when I moved to Denver.

And there we have it.

See, Petesy, that's far more insane than me! He's been a fan of every team. Even left teams and come back. This is the perfect case of geography ruining things.

Grue, don't you feel like a bit of a "pink hat" with no real connection to any of those teams and jump from one to another? If you were on a cross-country flight with two stops, would you be a fan of 4 teams in that day?  icon_biggrin

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:05 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 05, 2012, 10:19:22 PM

I'll still take an opening day win, even if it is against the Pirates.  

Our home opener is against the Pirates, I'd like a win, too!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 06, 2012, 01:28:19 AM

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2012, 09:07:30 PM

And there we have it.

See, Petesy, that's far more insane than me! He's been a fan of every team. Even left teams and come back. This is the perfect case of geography ruining things.

Grue, don't you feel like a bit of a "pink hat" with no real connection to any of those teams and jump from one to another? If you were on a cross-country flight with two stops, would you be a fan of 4 teams in that day?  icon_biggrin

Nah, because the old team becomes dead to me when I move on.  Also, since I fly out of Denver, I always fly direct. slywink

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »

Maybe the Dodgers sale isn't legit??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/04/06/dodgers-sale/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »

Grue - Hah!  icon_biggrin

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

Last year Josh Beckett gave up his 5th HR on June 28th, this year it took him 5 innings.  I hope we see more of this from the Tigers!  Two HRs from both Cabrera and Fielder with Avila throwing in another and the Tigers smack Boston 10 - zip.  They are going to damage some ERA's this season. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 08, 2012, 12:43:18 AM

Last year Josh Beckett gave up his 5th HR on June 28th, this year it took him 5 innings.  I hope we see more of this from the Tigers!  Two HRs from both Cabrera and Fielder with Avila throwing in another and the Tigers smack Boston 10 - zip.  They are going to damage some ERA's this season. 

Too bad Fister got hurt though.  Hopefully its nothing that lingers and his 15 day DL stint will heal things up. 

Other than that, so far so good!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

yeah, Fister was looking good too.  Hopefully. as you said, its a minor issue.  Hes been awesome for the Tigs and his extended loss would put a serious hitch in their rotation

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 04:38:06 AM »

I root for both the Nationals and Orioles, and I hope these first two games aren't a mirage.  icon_cool

I LOL'd during this brief scene in the MLB highlights after an Oriole's home run. It was like the camera man realized "OOPS! Don't wanna zoom in on The Fingers."   finger icon_lol

I have a buddy in Maryland who bought season Sunday tickets for Orioles games this year, and offered to invite me on occasion when his wife can't make it.  icon_smile I love the park but haven't attended a game there since October 2004.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »

If our offense can produce no more than 1 effing run per game, it is going to be a loooooooooong season.   disgust

And to make matters worse we are visiting the in-laws in Pittsburgh, and most people in this godforsaken land had no idea there were even two teams in the state of Pennsylvania, until of course Cliff Lee gave up a run with a rare wild pitch to tie the game.  Now everyone I see while wearing my Phillies cap is all too anxious to comment on yesterday's game.  Enjoy being 0.500 while it lasts, for all of one day. 

Even with the Vanimal on the mound today I have little faith in our offense's ability to support him.  We really need to score more than one run to win a game.  Halladay, Lee, and Hamels shouldn't have to worry about trying to get a win with no help from the offense.  You never realize how important players like Howard and Utley are, as sometimes one spark is all that is needed to ignite the rest of a team's bats.

Or a harsh fan base that will put up with it for all of not at all.   mad

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 08, 2012, 02:50:09 PM

If our offense can produce no more than 1 effing run per game, it is going to be a loooooooooong season.   disgust

And to make matters worse we are visiting the in-laws in Pittsburgh, and most people in this godforsaken land had no idea there were even two teams in the state of Pennsylvania, until of course Cliff Lee gave up a run with a rare wild pitch to tie the game.  Now everyone I see while wearing my Phillies cap is all too anxious to comment on yesterday's game.  Enjoy being 0.500 while it lasts, for all of one day. 

Even with the Vanimal on the mound today I have little faith in our offense's ability to support him.  We really need to score more than one run to win a game.  Halladay, Lee, and Hamels shouldn't have to worry about trying to get a win with no help from the offense.  You never realize how important players like Howard and Utley are, as sometimes one spark is all that is needed to ignite the rest of a team's bats.

Or a harsh fan base that will put up with it for all of not at all.   mad

At least you're .500!  I'm still .000 with my cy young award winner and the next in line both giving up homers in the 1st inning and then once again in the second!  We scored 8 runs in 2 games, which is our total for 8 games last year and still lost!  Who knew pitching would be the problem in SF!?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 08, 2012, 02:50:09 PM

Ah, the Randy Johnson Offense.  I remember it well.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »

And I have concerns about what's in the Detroit water cooler.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 08, 2012, 04:43:26 PM

And I have concerns about what's in the Detroit water cooler.

Well, they both pitched like there was "something in the water"   Great game for Detroit thought, down by three in the 9th, Cabrera cranks a 3 run homer to send it to extra innings. Down by a run in the 11th, Alex Avilla finishes off the sweep with a 2 run tater. The classic pitchers duel finished with a final 13 - 12 score.  retard

Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

How appropriate that the Diamondbacks, after being left for dead when down 6-0 to the Giants after 3, resurrect themselves  and complete the three game sweep on Easter Sunday.    nod thumbsup
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 01:38:24 AM »

Go Dbacks that was a nice comeback today.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

Quote from: Gromit on April 08, 2012, 11:28:00 PM

How appropriate that the Diamondbacks, after being left for dead when down 6-0 to the Giants after 3, resurrect themselves  and complete the three game sweep on Easter Sunday.    nod thumbsup

/wrists. I can't believe the Giants scored 14 runs in 3 games and are 0-3.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »

Just saw this commercial for the first time while watching the Phils/Fidel Castros game.

Chicago vs. Chicago

"The last Cub to throw a no-hitter was your pitching machine." 

icon_lol

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 09, 2012, 02:54:27 AM

How appropriate that the Diamondbacks, after being left for dead when down 6-0 to the Giants after 3, resurrect themselves  and complete the three game sweep on Easter Sunday.    nod thumbsup

Did you see last night's game.  Yikes
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 01:13:27 AM »

Love the MLB The Show commercial about the Cubs. At first I was all  icon_confused and then I was all   icon_lol .
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »

Quote from: naednek on April 13, 2012, 12:52:50 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 09, 2012, 02:54:27 AM

Did you see last night's game.  Yikes

I did. Then today bumgarner had a no hitter into the 7th!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

Matt Garza sucks at defense.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: