http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss me?.....need hardware help  (Read 4382 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 12:38:41 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on October 18, 2006, 12:08:59 AM

Maybe it would be best if this thread was locked by a Mod now. The amount of piling on to Daehawk that is going on here is sickening.

Warning earlier in the thread said:

Pleas for reassurance and sympathy go in Off-Topic but always run the risk of ridicule (this is a gaming forum after all).

I doubt this thread will be locked unless Daehawk asks, just as warning posted.  The ridicule of Daehawk is not over his situation, it's over his poor money management and not having his priorities completely straight.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 03:23:25 AM »

I'm not here piling up hate or judging you. I feel your pain, but sympathy is a condescending emotion. Empathy is much better; some understanding and support is much more valuable than "poor you" mentality or "fuck you" closed-mindedness.

Honestly, I can't believe that people who contribute 15 posts to this forum have the gonads to blast someone they "know" from GG's past who stands at over 2800 posts on GT. I'm not saying you're _not_ welcome here, but you really aren't on even footing with the GT'ers who actually contribute to this community on a daily or even weekly basis. It truly boggles.

As to keeping his hardware up-to-date, a Ti4200 is less than 3 trips to McDonalds, last I checked. I figure that if you can't entertain your mind, then you're sunk. I second the library thing; find a genre you enjoy. The paypal thing, you got your pee-pee whacked for it, and now you know. If I had any hardware that could help, I'd gladly ship it free of charge. PM me with your system specs, I'll see if I can help.

Kidney stones: I had a couple back when I was 24 (6 years ago). They were smaller than a tooth filling. I thought I was going to fucking die. It's a whole new world of pain with that, and I had it easy.

As to what you CAN do Daehawk: I would suggest trying out an ebay pawnshop. You have computer skills, and using shipping you should be set to be able to accomodate your schedule.
There are a ton of old people who want to sell off stuff, and this would be a way for you to do that for them. You take a percentage, and you're set.

You could also try getting into medical transcription, where you can type on your own and still be able to work using the resources you have available.

You could even hit up tech documents online and get some computer education behind you. Take a study-at-home course; go learn about MS products and test yourself on trancender tests and go challenge a few certs. Do something that works as an "on-your-own" thing. You need to push yourself in the right direction, and that direction is knowledge in a feasible field. As far as medical concerns go, if you get yourself a job with benefits, then the risks you take now are justified. If you can get the state to help with education, you're on the right path.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:26:06 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »

I wanted to comment on 2 things purge said.

1) As he mentioned a Ti4200 isn't exactly cutting edge and if someone thinks that this is keeping a PC up to date, I'd hate to see your top of the line PC. Tongue
2) Also, Daehawk isn't asking for help in upgrading his PC per se, his PC is dead and he needs it fixed.
3) I also think it would be worth looking into your area and working as a PC tech. You could either work exclusively  out of your home or since it is flexible, do some in-home service.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »

Anyone would have to be in home. I dont think these little mom ad pop shops in my town will do that but I will look at that.

I picked up my new mobo just now. Its a Summit series one by Chaintech. I got it because Ive always heard good things about Chaintech products in the past. Im about to put it all together and get it in the case. I hope it all works! hehehe.

As for my old ti4200 vid card it still works. I do want to upgrade it cheaply. Im stuck with an AGP slot so anything I get would need to be that. Im hoping to find one on these boards that I can trade or get cheaply. Something like a 7600 or something. Thanks to some people donating I should have enough if its cheap enough. But right now Im just hoping this new mobo solves my problems smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kratz
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 18, 2006, 04:05:26 PM

But right now Im just hoping this new mobo solves my problems smile

That must be some motherboard.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 04:53:40 PM »

Stuff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 06:36:16 PM by noun » Logged
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 05:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on October 18, 2006, 04:34:35 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on October 18, 2006, 04:05:26 PM

But right now Im just hoping this new mobo solves my problems smile

That must be some motherboard.

No kidding.  Where can I get one?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »

Daehawk,

Let me know if you want this locked.  The vulters smell blood and they won't stop until all the scraps are gone.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »

It is getting a little ridiculous.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:34 PM »

Quote from: noun on October 18, 2006, 04:53:40 PM

First of all,

Congrats on hunting up incriminating links, noun! You've got almost as many links as you have contributions to the site. Well done.  disgust

saywhat The last three are AWFUL. I mean, what kind of wasteful spending is 26 dollars on what, 8 games? F.E.A.R. in July ... hrm, bet THAT was full price, eh? He's addicted to pop and video games. Crucify the selfish bastard for asking for hardware help.  If you guys are going to take digs at Daehawk, don't do it in public, it really isn't making you look any better.

...and...

I'm glad your vitrol reponses are at a minimum on GT. I like my GT'ers as they are.

* Purge shoo's away the pack of fetid-smelling vultures

Go hang out in the IGN forums.  icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2006, 06:34:05 PM »

You know what - you're absolutely right.  Though I know a large number of posters here from previous boards, I am still a stranger to these boards and should keep any comments about its members to myself.  So for causing strife, I apologize.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

This is an example of the type of thing that makes me miss the old days of GG when people got along and acted more like a community. 

I'm shocked at the pile on.  Shocked at the ugly attitudes and posts.  I don't visit any of the forums that have been born through the demise of GG anywhere near as much as I used to visit the GG forums.  Mostly because I can't be myself on any of the forums anymore.  It's no longer about respect or community support.  It's all about negativity now.  Someone posts something bad going on in their lives and they stand to be ridiculed and second guessed through not so nice posting and dredging up of old posts that are meaningless to the current situation. 

My granddad passed away from lung cancer, my wife and I sadly lost our baby recently, I have a new couple of lumps on my arms now that are bing tested for cancer, things are not going so well for me right now.  So what now?  Who shall ridicule me?  Who will find old threads to try and prove something?  Who will call me out as a sympathy whore?  If you notice, I posted about none of these things in any of the forums (GT, OO, BC).  Because I am afraid of what you guys will say.  I don't feel close to any of you like I used to.  I don't feel like I can talk about personal things to any of you anymore without subjecting myself to ridicule.

Hell, it's caused my attitude and posting style to change in really negative ways.  When you guys do look up my posts, you will see most of them are negative, concerning stupid crap form the past, pretty much in keeping with the negative standards already set in place. 

Guess what though?  I'm getting better.  I'm certainly better than some of you in this thread at least this time.  I didn't question Daehawk.  I helped Daehawk.  Just like I used to do for anyone I could on GG.  Just like what people on GG did for me on several occasions.  I suggest others do the same if they sincerely want to help someone.  Otherwise, maybe just be a mature person and stay out of the thread and keep your negative crap to yourself.

God I miss the old days.  I really do.  What is up with you people really?  I just don't get it. 

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 18, 2006, 07:10:00 PM

This is an example of the type of thing that makes me miss the old days of GG when people got along and acted more like a community.

I think if you looked around on this board you would find that a lot of that vibe does indeed exist here.

I'm shocked at the pile on.  Shocked at the ugly attitudes and posts.  I don't visit any of the forums that have been born through the demise of GG anywhere near as much as I used to visit the GG forums. 

I, too, find the pile-on distasteful, but don't sugar-coat the GG forums too much, I saw some of the same behavior there as well.  Oh, and this forum wasn't born through the demise of GG.  We were here before then.

Mostly because I can't be myself on any of the forums anymore.  It's no longer about respect or community support.  It's all about negativity now.  Someone posts something bad going on in their lives and they stand to be ridiculed and second guessed through not so nice posting and dredging up of old posts that are meaningless to the current situation.

I think you should note that some lurkers came out of the fringe for this one.  Not sure why that is.  I don't see a whole lot of negativity here beyond this thread, though, so not sure where this is coming from, other than observations about other forums.

My granddad passed away from lung cancer, my wife and I sadly lost our baby recently, I have a new couple of lumps on my arms now that are bing tested for cancer, things are not going so well for me right now.  So what now?  Who shall ridicule me?  Who will find old threads to try and prove something?  Who will call me out as a sympathy whore?  If you notice, I posted about none of these things in any of the forums (GT, OO, BC).  Because I am afraid of what you guys will say.  I don't feel close to any of you like I used to.  I don't feel like I can talk about personal things to any of you anymore without subjecting myself to ridicule.

I seriously doubt anyone here would ridicule you for any of those events (for all of which you have my most sincere sympathies.  I can't even imagine the anguish you are going through in regards to your lost child).  I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

Hell, it's caused my attitude and posting style to change in really negative ways.  When you guys do look up my posts, you will see most of them are negative, concerning stupid crap form the past, pretty much in keeping with the negative standards already set in place. 

Guess what though?  I'm getting better.  I'm certainly better than some of you in this thread at least this time.  I didn't question Daehawk.  I helped Daehawk.  Just like I used to do for anyone I could on GG.  Just like what people on GG did for me on several occasions.  I suggest others do the same if they sincerely want to help someone.  Otherwise, maybe just be a mature person and stay out of the thread and keep your negative crap to yourself.

God I miss the old days.  I really do.  What is up with you people really?  I just don't get it. 

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I definitely do see the negativity you are referring to on the other boards (moreso one than the other, and I'm not trying to get a dig on either of them, just an observation), I just don't see it here (besides this thread).

Oh, and I can only imagine what kind of response this thread would get at QT3  :icon_eek:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Kratz
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »

They aren't comparable situations, deadzone.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a heartless fucker.  Doesn't mean that the way some people *choose* to live their life doesn't leave me scratching my head.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:36:37 PM by Kratz » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 18, 2006, 07:10:00 PM

saywhat That's horrible man. I'm sorry to hear for your loss. frown

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2006, 08:29:09 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree with Deadzone.

The thing that kills me is that even if you think Daehawk brought all this upon himself, fine, that is a valid point of view. Nothing wrong with that. What I am so surprised about is the the absolutely rude and heartless way people respond. Telling him to "get a fucking job"? I mean really, what is the point of responding like that? It's the callous attitude like that that just pisses me off, and it's not like Daehawk is some guy who just showed up yesterday. He's been around here for a long time, dating back to the GG days.

For people who just don't understand the guy's situation, he's not asking you to. No one truly knows what it's like to be in such dire straights unless you go through it yourself. Go back and really read the details Daehawk posted about his life. Okay, you want to crucify him because he dropped out of high school? Fine. Maybe that was his choice and now he's paying for it. How many people here have made mistakes in their lives? Is it his choice that he has serious medical issues with his body? The guy has a chronic bad back. He's providing home care for his loved ones. Unless you personally have gone through that experience, you don't know how hard it is emotionally and financially. Try taking care of someone who cannot dress themselves or go to the bathroom themselves. Who's choice is that? So, if Daehawk uses his computer to provide just a little bit of an escape from the realities of his life, why is that so hard to understand? It's not like he sits in front of his PC 24/7 wasting time.

I don't know Daehawk personally, and I didn't even know the details of his life before he had to post it here to defend himself. All I knew is that I know him as a forum-mate, that he's been a good member of this so-called community and was a little down on his luck. I didn't have any problem CHOOSING to give him $150 to get his computer fixed. I make good money and because we know each other on these boards and from GG, I am comfortable knowing that he put the money to good use. And if any of the other long time regulars here were in the same predicament, I'd do the same for them too because I always thought of this place as a great community of gamers who also can be friends. And even if we don't see each other in this light, at the very least we should be able to treat each other with respect.
Kratz
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

'rude and heartless'?  Profane, perhaps.  This isn't the first time we've all read this exact same thread, Jimmy.  Sometimes people need to be kicked in the pants instead of enabled.  We might not agree on that, but I suspect Daehawk knows he could do something to improve his situation.  Maybe someone telling him they know it too is what he needs.  Maybe it isn't. *shrug*

And deadzone, you know... you talk a lot of shit about 'us' in this thread, but whenever you've had a problem 'we' have been nothing but compassionate and supportive, so I don't know where you pulled that crap from.

I can think of one notable example in the recent past.

Sorry that it was so easy to make you forget all of that.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

I call it rude and heartless. You call it profane. Guess what? Still shouldn't justify some of the crap people are slinging at him.

Whatever. I've said my bit. People can say whatever the hell they want.
Kratz
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »

Some people? Or me?  Because your post above mine indicates you are responding to me.  I wasn't aware I was slinging shit.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2006, 08:56:57 PM »

I'm looking for the part where I mentioned specifics and how that relates directly to just "you" or "us".  Besides, I think it's you and many others that have truly "forgotten".   

I stand corrected on the part about not mentioning the loss of our baby to any of the sites.  I did post about it on BC and I did receive a lot of support about it.  Why the Daehawk thing is different is something I guess I just don't understand though. 

Regardless, I stand by my original point.  The piling on sucks.  Period.  I didn't make a list of who did it and where they came from, I just stated in general about all three forums.  Things change I guess.  It is more than past the time for me to move on.  My attitude doesn't fit any of the forums anymore, I see that now.   

Kratz
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »

What did I forget?  Maybe I'm just less blunt in your memory.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on October 18, 2006, 08:56:57 PM

Regardless, I stand by my original point.  The piling on sucks.  Period.  I didn't make a list of who did it and where they came from, I just stated in general about all three forums.  Things change I guess.  It is more than past the time for me to move on.  My attitude doesn't fit any of the forums anymore, I see that now.

I guess I just think it isn't fair to judge any one forum by the behaviors of the other two.  Again, I generally don't see the negativity here at this particular one that you speak of.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2006, 09:15:53 PM »

Please!  Everyone knows that people on the internets aren't real!

I can sympathize with this "Daehawk".  Personally, I prioritize high-speed internet over running water.  I would gladly shit in a paper bag if I had to so long as I can have a live video feed of that South African watering hole.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:20:22 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2006, 09:28:07 PM »

One day a turtle was walking through a forest, and heard cries of "help help help!".  The turtle went over to the sounds, and found a frog trapped in a fairly deep hole with no way to escape.  The frog said "Turtle, can you help me? Go and get a stick so I can climb out of this hole!".. The Turtle agreed, and went off looking for a stick.

About 10 minutes later the turtle returned with a stick, and noticed the frog was no longer in the hole!  The turtle glanced over to the pond and saw the frog sunning himself on a lilly pad.  The turtle went over and said "Frog, I thought you were trapped in that hole and needed a stick to get out?".  The frog replied:  "I WAS trapped in that hole, then a snake fell in and I HAD to get out!!".

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »

Im asking this thread be locked now. I have the motherboard and the posts are wandering into unfriendly territory. I dont wish to see it devide GTrs any longer.

To those who helped, asked to help, or offered advice a BIG thank you!! I would not have the ability to get back to my hobby without you all.

To those who offered scorn and bitterness a rolly eyes for you  Roll Eyes  eek

Ive sent a PM to Ron asking about starting our own Pay it Forward Freebies thread here like on OO. Since I cant actually repay anyone for the donations and help I thought offering up some free software would be a good way to offer thnx and help others. I still have the stuff from my trade thread since someone tricked me by getting my paypal addy then refusing to give me thier home address after offering to buy all of it . Crazy, sneaky, and totally kind of them. If Ron OKs it I can start with some of that. To those who have not seen one of these PiFF threads  it works like this. Say I offer 5 games up for free. I get +5 karma points. If I see say 2 games I want from others then I remove 2 of my karma points. Karma is like money   icon_smile Offer stuff free get stuff free. Might be fun.

Anyways THANK YOU again all of you. My prediciment brought out the best in some people and Im VERY grateful to you all. I cannot say how much it meant to me to get my entertainment box fixed up again to have to take me away to other lands.

Could this thread now be locked plz? Wife says God bless.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2006, 09:50:37 PM »

Here's my take.  Posting your personal problems on an internet message board is a dicey proposition.  Unless you know the person in real life you have no way of knowing if they are being truthful or just making stuff up.  Not only that but if a person does it often enough they start to be viewed as "that guy".  We all know "that guy" - he's the one at work or school who is a complainer and people eventually back away from him and start to look nervous when he comes around,

But it can work out okay as well.  Back on Gone Gold I posted when I accidentally ran over my cat and was pretty upset and appreciated the encouragement I received.  We like to think that we aren't just a bunch of anonymous names with text next to them - we're kinda friends and often play games together, trade games back and forth and generally shoot the shit with each other.  It makes sense to sometimes let people know what's been going on even if it hasn't been good.

But ultimately we're a gaming message board.  We play games and we get together to talk about games and we may not always be the best choice for reassurance and sympathy.  It could always go badly because it's the nature of teh intarweb.

Last thought:  I really like you guys from BC/#gg.  I've never been on #gg (actually never been on IRC ever) but I enjoy hanging out with you at BC and at OO and GG before that.  That's why it's really embarrassing to watch you guys (with less than 20 posts here at GT) file in here one by one to heap shit on someone.  Maybe Daehawk brought it on himself - maybe he didn't but it really makes me cringe to see you show up for this because it makes you look like petty idiots and since I like you guys I end up looking like a petty idiot by association.  I can usually do a pretty good job on my own looking like a petty idiot.

So while I'd love to have you guys hang out over here a lot more please don't do this again.  As ATB said it really is beneath you.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 18, 2006, 09:46:19 PM

Im asking this thread be locked now. I have the motherboard and the posts are wandering into unfriendly territory. I dont wish to see it devide GTrs any longer.

No problem.  If you guys want to continue the larger (non-Daehawk) discussion feel free to start a new thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: