http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:47:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MINI Cooper -- building it  (Read 4232 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »

Isn't it shameful enough to drive one of these without drawing unnecessary attention to yourself?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on June 09, 2008, 02:25:54 PM

We originally considered cars that were British Racing Green or the various blues, but in the end we decided that a look-at-me car deserves a look-at-me color and we ended up with the Mellow Yellow.  The Chili Red is very much the most popular color on the roads; if we didn't have as many other MINIs out there with us, I'd definitely have considered going with one of those (looks sharp with either white stripes or black -- or no stripes if you're still considering the justacooper rather than an S).  As far as interiors go, everything I've heard says to go with the Sport seats (for extra lateral support), and to avoid the leather (and for $1500 extra, avoiding the leather seemed like a great idea to me!).  Unfortunately the only light-colored interior is the Tuscan Beige leather.  We went with the stock grey interior sport seats with leatherette and are plenty happy.  But the red-trimmed interior definitely looks sharp!

As far as exterior accoutrements, I definitely say to go with what looks good to you.  The big checkers can look garish, but the MINI itself is kinda garish, and it's rather impossible to get something that just looks plain ol' WTF.  I like the Mellow Yellow with the black stripes on the hood, but there are LOTS of other striping options (check out outmotoring.com amongst others -- zillions of sites with custom MINI mods out there).  If it is important to you to make your car extra distinctive, you can really go nuts.  I'd love to black-out the chrome trim portions of my ride (around the headlights, along the beltline, around the taillights, etc) which I think would look sharp with the mudflaps and the extra driving lights.

No comment on the cost adders for all the extra options.  I failed my saving throw vs. frugality when putting our car together.  nod

I've got opinions on just about all the functional options as well.  For the '07, the NAV system was a $2000 adder (!!!) to the bottom line, but if you don't care for the pie-plate center speedo, the NAV *really* makes that thing look sharp.  And if you're more interested in its functionality, I can write a mini-dissertation on the thing (mostly positive, but a few GUI-related WTFs involved as well).

Which model did you test drive?
Test drove an S, but I was so rusty driving manual that I kept it in the wrong gear the whole drive.   So I think I'll be fine with a justacooper.     I salivated over the $2000 computer --   I wondered what all it did.     I don't have the money to do it and the cool looking interior though... so I think I'll have to pass.
GargoyleBoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »

Am I the only one who clicked this thread and ended up disappointed?  I remember back when "building" a car meant you were spending your summer (or more) in the garage, putting the thing together part by part.

Ah, the internet.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »

Quote from: GargoyleBoy on June 09, 2008, 06:23:03 PM

Am I the only one who clicked this thread and ended up disappointed?  I remember back when "building" a car meant you were spending your summer (or more) in the garage, putting the thing together part by part.

Ah, the internet.

I still thought that he was builiding a car in the garage.  Thanx for ruining the illusion.

Our dream build it in your garage car was the mini mark

Kitt cars weren't all the expensive in the late 80's.  Alas by the time I got a garage, I'd really outgrown the desire to "build" a car.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »

Ugh.  I don't think I can ever buy a nav system included in a car again.  Too expensive and you're too locked into it.  I'll just keep my little Garmin and hide the cord going to it.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Austin on June 09, 2008, 06:37:36 PM

Ugh.  I don't think I can ever buy a nav system included in a car again.  Too expensive and you're too locked into it.  I'll just keep my little Garmin and hide the cord going to it.
Hope nobody ever breaks into your car looking for the GPS unit!
GargoyleBoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on June 09, 2008, 06:32:17 PM

Thanx for ruining the illusion.

I live to serve.

Quote from: LordMortis on June 09, 2008, 06:32:17 PM

Our dream build it in your garage car was the mini mark

Kitt cars weren't all the expensive in the late 80's.  Alas by the time I got a garage, I'd really outgrown the desire to "build" a car.

I still haven't outgrown it, actually.  I just don't have the time or money.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on June 09, 2008, 07:31:13 PM

Quote from: Austin on June 09, 2008, 06:37:36 PM

Hope nobody ever breaks into your car looking for the GPS unit!
OMG!1! me too!   icon_eek !!!1
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »

Have any Mini-buyers here had any luck haggling on these?  I have the impression that the MINI folk don't move much on their MSRP.  (Stupid Napoleon complex)  Is my impression valid?  I had a poker friend who had gone to work for MINI but has since moved on to sell some drink blender line.  icon_confused
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Austin on June 09, 2008, 08:45:29 PM

Have any Mini-buyers here had any luck haggling on these?  I have the impression that the MINI folk don't move much on their MSRP.  (Stupid Napoleon complex)  Is my impression valid?  I had a poker friend who had gone to work for MINI but has since moved on to sell some drink blender line.  icon_confused

You won't get much under MSRP, if at all. It really depends on the region of the country. California? Forget it.

These cars sell so well they have little reason to discount anything. If you're good, you might get $500 off MSRP. Drive one off the lot and you MIGHT get $1000. You might also be able to get some deals on the accessories, but no discounts anywhere near those offered by domestics.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 07, 2008, 02:11:31 AM

I'm getting started on figuring out how I want my MINI to look.     So far I'm going with Chili Red similar to this one with checkered roof and maybe the mirrors too:

Oh, the irony... msd posts a pic of a car he wants his to look like and the...

Spoiler for Hiden:
...License plate looks like an Auburn War Eagle plate :-)  LOL!  Yeah, it's more of a PeteRock eagles plate, but it still had me laughing....

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »

Woo hoo!

Seeing my complaint on another forum, a dealer from Nashville PM'ed me and told me he'd beat Atlanta's price.

He still did MSRP, but he offered to throw in free mats, half the Doc fee of ATL, and everything except the roof graphic will have free installation -- except that HIS installation is $200 less than ATL's.     

So it's getting me to where I wanted my price to be.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:57 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 10, 2008, 12:39:41 AM

Woo hoo!

Seeing my complaint on another forum, a dealer from Nashville PM'ed me and told me he'd beat Atlanta's price.

He still did MSRP, but he offered to throw in free mats, half the Doc fee of ATL, and everything except the roof graphic will have free installation -- except that HIS installation is $200 less than ATL's.     

Glad to hear it.  did you like my spoiler?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 10, 2008, 12:46:57 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 10, 2008, 12:39:41 AM

Woo hoo!

Glad to hear it.  did you like my spoiler?

Yeah yeah yeah...Tongue
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »

That's about right.  I was buying a BMW M Coupe when my girlfriend was looking at Coopers -- I said I'd buy BOTH cars if they'd deal on the Mini but they wouldn't budge more than 1K for something already on the lot.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 01:55:31 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on June 10, 2008, 01:54:17 AM

That's about right.  I was buying a BMW M Coupe when my girlfriend was looking at Coopers -- I said I'd buy BOTH cars if they'd deal on the Mini but they wouldn't budge more than 1K for something already on the lot.

Good for resale values at least. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 05:35:48 AM »

So how much is this "cost saving" Mini going to run, anyway?  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 06:02:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 10, 2008, 05:35:48 AM

Ha.  No kidding.

Also, I wonder if MSD is still planning to sell the FJ first or not and if he's had much luck on that or any response at all.  Given the market, it might be weeks away from the Mini purchase anyway.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 10, 2008, 06:02:58 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 10, 2008, 05:35:48 AM

Ha.  No kidding.

Also, I wonder if MSD is still planning to sell the FJ first or not and if he's had much luck on that or any response at all.  Given the market, it might be weeks away from the Mini purchase anyway.

It's going to be about equal debt.    The big cost savings is about $2353 per year if gas remains $4.00 per gallon.

And we're going to order the MINI while we are waiting for the FJ to sell.   It will take 2 months for them to build it.    If we overlap a little it's ok because we just paid off the van -- so worse case we'd be back to 2 payments for a short time.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »

Mini Cooper has been ordered for a week or so.

It's been produced in Oxford and is waiting to be picked up for transport to the docks.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 22, 2008, 01:57:00 PM

It's been produced in Oxford and is waiting to be picked up for transport to the docks.

That's pretty quick.
What did you decide on for your final configuration/colors?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on June 22, 2008, 02:44:30 PM

That's pretty quick.

Funny you mention that.    I'm still having trouble deciding on dealer options.    The car produced is Chili Red with black roof and mirrors.   It has a black and red interior like the picture earlier in this thread.

My wife is lobbying that I cancel the dealer applied checkerboard decal and go with the black roof with dark window tint.    I'm still digging the checkerboard.

However, even if I do go with the checkerboard, someone recommended going with a vendor rather than dealer.   The reason is that the vendors sell full vinyl sheets that cover the entire roof.    The dealer decals apparently only cover the white squares and so the black paint is exposed for the contrast color.    Some folks claim that this could cause the roof to fade in a checkerboard pattern and also be difficult to wash without messing up.   

Getting it from one of the vendors will be about 100 more and not be rolled into the loan like the dealer one would be.

So I'm sitting here debating.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 22, 2008, 03:01:53 PM

Quote from: ChaoZ on June 22, 2008, 02:44:30 PM

That's pretty quick.

Funny you mention that.    I'm still having trouble deciding on dealer options.    The car produced is Chili Red with black roof and mirrors.   It has a black and red interior like the picture earlier in this thread.

My wife is lobbying that I cancel the dealer applied checkerboard decal and go with the black roof with dark window tint.   

That's the exact combo my girlfriend has - it's about as mean looking as a Mini can get smile  That said, she wants the stripes and the checkerboard.  smile

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

Judging by the plate, I would have guessed that was Pete Rock's Mini. Fabulous

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: