http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 01:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would You install Vista?  (Voting closed: July 30, 2005, 11:14:33 AM)
Yes - 20 (57.1%)
No - 6 (17.1%)
Undecided - 9 (25.7%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Windows Vista  (Read 2129 times)
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »

After reading what ms had to say on there site, i rather upgrade my xp home edition computer to pro and blow off vista, 512 min ram and other "super" computer requirements sucks frown
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

No need whatsoever. I'm happy with XP, plus the WinFS upgrade from Fat32 and NTFS didn't make it into Vista last I heard, and that would be the only genuine benefit I could see. XP, for me at least, has been rock solid and I haven't had to do a rebuild on my box for a few years now, which I love. I wasn't planning on installing Vista, so I'll wait for their next OS, currently nicknamed Blackcomb, to hit around 2010. smile I found it funny in the 1Up article I linked on the front page that Microsoft was considering shortening the life span between operating systems.

That would be a good job Microsoft, because then people can watch you publicly beta test operating systems and become the EA of PC software. This year's version, adds a "stronger" pop-up blocker and, um, some better anti-virus support, and some more wacky Office features that make mastering current versions completely irrelevant, and still charge $200 a pop for the pro version.

Pass. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:41:41 PM »

You really can't judge at this point.  Beta 1 is mostly behind-the-scenes backend stuff.  Wait until Beta 2 comes out - that's where the real fun begins
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 02:42:30 PM »

If i do deside to upgrade im gona try to change the name back to longhorn

longhorn > vista all the way
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 03:03:55 PM »

I hear rumor they are shooting for the end of this year for a launch window.  We'll have that decision upon us soon enough.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 04:37:49 PM »

I see no reason to upgrade.  The next PC I purchase will probably come with it installed, so I'll switch when I junk my current POS.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I hear rumor they are shooting for the end of this year for a launch window.  We'll have that decision upon us soon enough.

I'd be very surprised.  We still have Beta 2 and at least two release candidates to go.  But never say never...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »

Absolutely, but with the next PC purchase/upgrade. I have seriously enjoyed every new Windows release, and they have all rapidly become the standard. I have no problem with this one.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 05:25:14 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Not a chance. Every site I see says it will be fall 06' at the earliest.

Don't see the problem with the specs. They are around what a mid-range desktop is today. In 18 months $500 machines will be able to meet those no problem.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »

The release window is Q4 2006, which is about 18 months away.

If my PC will handle it, I will likely upgrade. I like to be running the newest set of software, and while it pales compared to Mac OS X, Windows XP has been a pretty solid release from Microsoft.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 07:45:32 PM »

It depends on the new game requirements of the day. My Windows ME was actually pretty steady after they worked the kinks out and I can still play DOS games on it. I never saw XP as that great  an improvement. Yes,I know everybody else thinks XP is the cat's meow but I didn't have too many problems with ME myself.

Ye Olde Farte
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 09:13:05 PM »

ME was a disaster on my system. I paid $50 to have my printer and scanner stop working. My printer eventually got updated to working status. I wasn't willing to shell out bucks for a new scanner driver. Now, the steps ME took towards unifying the driver model and integrating the Windows 2000 shell were good steps. It's just that ME was never supposed to be released (it was thrown together because a home edition of Windows 2000 died in the womb), and it really showed. Rough edges abound.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 12:36:32 AM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
ME was a disaster on my system. I paid $50 to have my printer and scanner stop working. My printer eventually got updated to working status. I wasn't willing to shell out bucks for a new scanner driver. Now, the steps ME took towards unifying the driver model and integrating the Windows 2000 shell were good steps. It's just that ME was never supposed to be released (it was thrown together because a home edition of Windows 2000 died in the womb), and it really showed. Rough edges abound.

Absolutely. ME was a serious case of Microsoft not having a software release between 2000 and XP they could hit us with, so they made a combo og 98 and 2000 and the result died on every system I ever saw EXCEPT MY PARENTS'! That one is still going strong several years later and I knows nots whys!! One of life's mysteries I guess. smile

I'll still take the advances and mistakes they make/learn from with Vista and wait and see on "Blackcomb." biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 01:18:34 AM »

Nah, no need to. I already have all the features Vista will have - and scrapped.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 02:13:01 AM »

My old Alienware 1.1 Ghz machine from 2000 is the one with ME I'm talking about. It works just as well and has fewer mishaps than any of my XP machines. I'll grant you I might not have the same luck with a different PC but with that one it works great.
Anyrate that's my point with the new Windows Vista.All my XP machines are working fine so why upgrade?Unless I get a new computer(probably not for another 4-5 years) or the games I like to play require it I see no reason to change.
That's what happens when you get olde,you hate change!  :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 02:19:05 AM »

Jeez, dbt, at least "upgrade" to 98se.  ME is just awful.

I run 98se on my old laptop (Compaq Armada 7700).  It's like 8 years old the old beast!  It runs Office just fine and some of my favorite old wargames like Operational Art of War.  Not much of a portable, though.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 02:19:59 AM »

And that's just it dbt: Microsoft has, in no way thus far, made any point as to why Vista is better for me than XP is. That being said, the first screens are just starting to come out and the marketing machine hasn't truly kicked in just yet so we'll have that answer soon enough. If adding a search and some other miniature features is about it, then put it in a service pack and shoot it to me via Windows Update. But we'll see the muscle kick in with hints towards the end of the year. I honestly think Microsoft can do two different marketing campaigns at the same time (Vista and the 360) but if Vista isn't really ready to show off yet, why not focus all their muscle into the 360 campaign?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 02:25:20 AM »

There's just no way this is coming out this year.  Next fall I'd believe, but this year?  No way.

It's not like people are begging for a new OS.  Hell, a large portion ofcorporations haven't even upgraded to XP have they?

I'm sure there will be good reason to upgrade (read: you HAVE to), but I'm sure I'll be running on a brand new system by that time.  Won't be so much an OS upgrade as a full system upgrade for me.  At this point I don't even know if I care.  Most of my PC games are of the Popcap variety these days and the consoles are going to look great on my HD sets.  I could care less about a fancy GUI.  I use classic mode on XP anyway.

Maybe everybody will just buy OSX instead...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 01:21:40 PM »

I read an article somewhere (sorry, no link) that claimed some of the bigger features of Vista (like GUI / IE7) will be released for XP as well.  I'm taking a wait and see approach, XP has treated me great so I'll be waiting to be convinced to leave it.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 01:37:14 PM »

Vista would have to really wow me to switch from XP.  From what I have read, they have taken out a lot of really good features.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

I read an article somewhere (sorry, no link) that claimed some of the bigger features of Vista (like GUI / IE7) will be released for XP as well. I'm taking a wait and see approach, XP has treated me great so I'll be waiting to be convinced to leave it.

The bits that are being backported to XP are mostly developer elements (Avalon, Indigo, WinFX) - the end user won't notice any difference.  Though IE7 will be available for XP, probably this year.

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Vista would have to really wow me to switch from XP.  From what I have read, they have taken out a lot of really good features.

Not really - the only thing that has been removed is the new file system (WinFS).  And it will be available for free down the road.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 03:55:47 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
My Windows ME was actually pretty steady after they worked the kinks out and I can still play DOS games on it. I never saw XP as that great  an improvement. Yes,I know everybody else thinks XP is the cat's meow but I didn't have too many problems with ME myself.

:shock: *blink* *blink*  confused

XP is on the 2000 platform (the old NT track and the Win9x track merged for 2000). WinME is Windows 95 Series II - Hyper Ultra Street Fighter edition. Well, that, plus CRAP.

I'm happy your system is working for you (and has been stable). I assume you don't mess around with the "guts" much though, and that's where ME really fell down. It's soo much patchwork that it really didn't warrant the upgrade from 98SE. IIRC, the system restore function added to ME doesn't even, you know, work.

My XP has been rocksolid, and yeah, I'll likely be installing Vista end of next year. I'm not currently on the beta list (which is odd; I was for XP).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 03:24:45 AM »

Well I'm actually in the beta program for Vista so I'm kinda commited to installing it now - i've got the DVD sitting here on top of my computer.  I've installed IE7 for XP on my local machine here but haven't installed Vista on any of my boxes yet.  Next week I'm going to try to install it on one of my spare machines at work and on at least one box here at home.

Once I get the wife a laptop (and get her off of my main machine) and beta 2 comes out -I'll probably try it out on my main box as well.

So far IE7 is okay. Beta 2 of IE7 is what I'm really pining for though - that list of CSS fixes and additions is a dream come true.

I do find it pretty funny how many big name websites are exposed as doing some nasty browser sniffing.  

For example mail.yahoo.com says this in IE7
"Yahoo! may not be optimized for the web browser you are using. Your options are:
Upgrade to Internet Explorer 6.0, Netscape 7.1, or Safari 1.2.
Switch back to the Yahoo! version supported by your current browser. "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: