http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:52:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Surface - Surface Pro 2 unveiled  (Read 4082 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 01, 2013, 01:57:39 PM

Sigh... I am weak... impressions of the 128GB Pro coming soon.

I too am weak.

Thankfully, I'm broke. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 01, 2013, 01:57:39 PM

Sigh... I am weak... impressions of the 128GB Pro coming soon.

Cabbage Patch biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »

The thought of playing Civ V on a tablet is making me weak. That, and Office on a tablet sounds awesome. If I could walk into a store and buy one, or if Amazon carried it, I probably would have bought one already. Friend who works for MS told me she isn't impressed by it though, of course she seems to be the only one.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »

I called the closest Microsoft store, and after a 5 minute on hold for them to find out if they had any 128gb models in stock, they said they did. So I made the 45 minute drive to Orlando. Today I learned malls are hell on a Friday night. I also learned I am old. And very white.

I picked up the Pro 128 gb model, the type keyboard and the extended warranty. I can get Office for $10 through work, so I didn't bother with the packs they sold, otherwise I think I would have.

Haven't done much on it yet, this is my first time using Windows 8 and I am very lost on it. It's very easy to use out of the box, but trying to get it set up the way I want it, is not very obvious so far.

Initial thoughts:

Screen is great looking. The auto brightness is a bit annoying, it seems only Apple has that feature down.

Touch controls are great. Windows 8 works well with it.

Keyboard is nice, and easy to use. It is a bit flimsy, but what you would expect.

I haven't gamed or ran anything serious, its gotten warm, but not hot.

So far very impressed. Most impressed I have been with a gadget since the 1st iPad (and I am a Apple guy, iMac, Air, iPad, iPhone, but I do have a gaming PC).
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »

Random unstructured impressions before a busy weekend:

It's thicker, and heavier, than I expected, even knowing it was going to be thicker than the iPad. It feels pretty solid though - the kickstand is a really nice touch. I know a lot of folks who are super-picky about ergonomics complain that you can't really change the angle of it, but it works for me.

Mini-DisplayPort is great. I already have a cord for that kicking around for my Macbook so the thing docks right into my existing setup. The built-in display is crisp and bright, though auto-brightness is a bit wonky to say the least (I read that MS is already looking into patches for this).

Speaker is just okay, and I haven't had opportunity to try the headphones out yet.

The touchscreen is responsive, and the pen is fantastic - it acts as a pointer when it's close to the screen, which I didn't know and which is great.

It's fast, for a tablet - I threw Steam on there, and while I haven't played much of anything besides BIT.TRIP RUNNER, that ran smoothly, and even with the Type Cover controls well enough that I got through 1-11 eventually. I'm planning to use it for the foreseeable future more as a retro/adventure gaming console than anything that's going to push it, gaming-wise; it looks like I'll be able to play Sam and Max, Walking Dead, Monkey Island, and the Longest Journey series with just the pen (though I do have to tinker with the app settings to turn off the pixel scaling). Throw in Syberia and some other adventure games off of GOG, Football Manager, and maybe OOTP and I should have a lot to do without having to even set up as a laptop.

Battery life is adequate, for me - it's plugged in if I'm doing real work, and it lasted a night on my lap in front of the TV, so I don't need much more.

From a 'real work' perspective - I threw VPN on there, and was able with just a Bluetooth keyboard and the pen (day before my Type Cover arrived) VPN to my corporate network, remote desktop to a server, pull in some files via FTP, and do some work setting up applications and databases. With just this and a 3G hotspot, and especially now with the Type Cover, I can basically handle anything short of running a full HyperV environment for demos and research (and I'll do that as soon as there's an i7 model with 8GB+ of RAM).

Things I don't like - the Windows app store is crap (but I knew that already), so a lot of the stuff out there that would make the Metro part of the OS useful on a tablet is just awful. I haven't found a good Twitter client, there's a million unofficial Facebook apps that look sketchy as hell, and I haven't seen a good Google Reader client that doesn't crash. So my Metro usage consists of the touchscreen IE, my IM client (which is actually okay), and a Reddit app that's alright but prone to crashing. I'm hoping as this thing gets out in the wild in bigger numbers it'll start to see some real app support, just because the more things that are usable as a non-keyboarded tablet the more useful it'll be.

I think, just from the perspective of having a usable work laptop along with a LOT less weight than a full-size one, it's already a success - it's basically going to be my default personal machine for travel from now on, and I see it getting some time in front of the TV as a tablet as well (though I wouldn't use it for Kindle, etc - too heavy to sit and read with).

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

Pretty much spot on in agreement. App store is horrible, but I have been pretty happy with MS apps.

did you get the extended warranty? I did, but they didn't actually give me anything for it. is it automatically added to the serial number in their database?

Edit: Never mind, found it under support.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:33:14 PM by Lee » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:19 AM »

Finding that if you don't use Metro, programs are much less user friendly (and there aren't enough good third party metro apps yet). Buttons are tiny and often hard to activate with a finger touch. The pen is better, but sometimes have a difficult time getting button presses registered with it as well. There is this odd middle ground between tablet and laptop that certainly could be smoother. Doesn't help that I am still struggling with Win 8.

Annoyingly I can't play Civ V. The window it runs in is slightly too big so the click to start the game button is under the taskbar and unclickable. Running it is the first time fans came on and it got very hot.

Word '13 works well though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:38:33 AM by Lee » Logged
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »

Clanwolfer: Nextgen Reader is an excellent Metro (or Modern UI, as it is called now) interface Google reader.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

How are you guys still liking the Surface Pro? I'm thinking about getting one or the Acer Iconia W700 - mainly for the slightly bigger screen.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »

Still think its great, although I reach for my iPad more often than the Surface for couch surfing, just because its quicker to turn on, easier to handle, and has apps like Tweetbot. The Surface is what I grab if I am going to do some typing, want Word/Excel, or need a Windows friendlier browser. I use it for school stuff a lot since its very much like a very fast laptop that I can comfortably use wherever I am.

Metro is good on a Surface, but the apps are pretty lacking so far, and the learning curve is a bit steeper. I have had to do web searches just to find out how to do casual easy things because without the Start menu it's hard to find crap.

I would highly recommend it for someone who needs the power/function of a laptop in a tablet, otherwise stick with the iOS/Android options.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:37:08 PM by Lee » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

MS cuts Surface RT prices, effective July 14:

Microsoft is cutting the price of its Surface RT tablets, base model to cost $349
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/4514888/microsoft-surface-rt-tablet-price-cuts
The new Surface RT prices are detailed below.

Surface RT 32GB - $349.99
    Surface RT 64GB - $449.99
    Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover - $449.99
    Surface RT 64GB with Touch Cover - $549.99

Update: Staples has confirmed the price cut in a listing in its weekly promotional ads. The price cut comes into effect on Sunday July 14th.
While this is supposedly in part to try to spur demand a bit, they apparently have some updated models on the way as well.

No price cuts on the more well-regarded Surface Pro.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »

$900 Million hit from MS on Surface RT in 4Q earnings.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/07/microsoft-takes-900-million-hit-for-unsold-surface-rts-in-4q13-earnings/
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 01:19:47 AM »

Love my surface pro. Wish the desktop mode had a better touch overlay, but sarright. Windows 8.1 is a big step up - stuff like better splitscreen handling (click a link from email, and IE pops up as a split screen. Another fave is changing the left swipe-in to simply open the left bar with all the "alt-tabs" Touch the one you want, and if the split is up, the interface naturally "asks" which side it should replace.

Also, the case I picked up for it really helps out as it has a hand strap on the back of it.

Anyone know of an app that allows writing without having to use the MS interface?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »

Surface Pro 2 unveiled.

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

While Surface 2 sounds pretty awesome it's just hard to justify the price for personal use compared to other tablets...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

While Surface 2 sounds pretty awesome it's just hard to justify the price for personal use compared to other tablets...

Yeah, I really love my Surface Pro, but I haven't used it for months. For school work the screen isn't big enough. For couch browsing it's too big and bulky. It's more of an odd lapto than a tablet. My Air an iPad get far more use.

I really should sell the thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2?

iPad (16GB) is 500
Surface 2 (32GB) is 450 - now has 1080p, 10hr battery, faster, thinner, lighter, and USB3 port.

The leg up that iPad has is its current stable of software - but it's not the cost that should dissuade you.

Surface Pro 2 is a full PC - it can output to dual monitors daisychained through mini-displayport, and the most expensive version (i5 Haswell, Intel 4400 HD video, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD) is 1800 (1930 with their snap-on backlit type keyboard)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »

My surface is my main PC (I have a bit of a transitory life at the moment). I don't play much on it, but I have a setup in my bedroom that includes a 27" monitor that I output to. I found that the kickstand on the Surface (naked) was alright, but I understand why they went with two positions on the Surface 2 line - it makes it far more useful.

I have a Moko rotary cover on mine all the time. If I had a Surface Pro 2, I'd probably not have a cover on it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 25, 2013, 01:01:45 PM

I have a Moko rotary cover on mine all the time. If I had a Surface Pro 2, I'd probably not have a cover on it.

I was expecting a rotary keyboard on it slywink

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: