http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Surface - Surface Pro 2 unveiled  (Read 6242 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 01, 2013, 01:57:39 PM

Sigh... I am weak... impressions of the 128GB Pro coming soon.

I too am weak.

Thankfully, I'm broke. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 01, 2013, 01:57:39 PM

Sigh... I am weak... impressions of the 128GB Pro coming soon.

Cabbage Patch biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »

The thought of playing Civ V on a tablet is making me weak. That, and Office on a tablet sounds awesome. If I could walk into a store and buy one, or if Amazon carried it, I probably would have bought one already. Friend who works for MS told me she isn't impressed by it though, of course she seems to be the only one.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »

I called the closest Microsoft store, and after a 5 minute on hold for them to find out if they had any 128gb models in stock, they said they did. So I made the 45 minute drive to Orlando. Today I learned malls are hell on a Friday night. I also learned I am old. And very white.

I picked up the Pro 128 gb model, the type keyboard and the extended warranty. I can get Office for $10 through work, so I didn't bother with the packs they sold, otherwise I think I would have.

Haven't done much on it yet, this is my first time using Windows 8 and I am very lost on it. It's very easy to use out of the box, but trying to get it set up the way I want it, is not very obvious so far.

Initial thoughts:

Screen is great looking. The auto brightness is a bit annoying, it seems only Apple has that feature down.

Touch controls are great. Windows 8 works well with it.

Keyboard is nice, and easy to use. It is a bit flimsy, but what you would expect.

I haven't gamed or ran anything serious, its gotten warm, but not hot.

So far very impressed. Most impressed I have been with a gadget since the 1st iPad (and I am a Apple guy, iMac, Air, iPad, iPhone, but I do have a gaming PC).
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »

Random unstructured impressions before a busy weekend:

It's thicker, and heavier, than I expected, even knowing it was going to be thicker than the iPad. It feels pretty solid though - the kickstand is a really nice touch. I know a lot of folks who are super-picky about ergonomics complain that you can't really change the angle of it, but it works for me.

Mini-DisplayPort is great. I already have a cord for that kicking around for my Macbook so the thing docks right into my existing setup. The built-in display is crisp and bright, though auto-brightness is a bit wonky to say the least (I read that MS is already looking into patches for this).

Speaker is just okay, and I haven't had opportunity to try the headphones out yet.

The touchscreen is responsive, and the pen is fantastic - it acts as a pointer when it's close to the screen, which I didn't know and which is great.

It's fast, for a tablet - I threw Steam on there, and while I haven't played much of anything besides BIT.TRIP RUNNER, that ran smoothly, and even with the Type Cover controls well enough that I got through 1-11 eventually. I'm planning to use it for the foreseeable future more as a retro/adventure gaming console than anything that's going to push it, gaming-wise; it looks like I'll be able to play Sam and Max, Walking Dead, Monkey Island, and the Longest Journey series with just the pen (though I do have to tinker with the app settings to turn off the pixel scaling). Throw in Syberia and some other adventure games off of GOG, Football Manager, and maybe OOTP and I should have a lot to do without having to even set up as a laptop.

Battery life is adequate, for me - it's plugged in if I'm doing real work, and it lasted a night on my lap in front of the TV, so I don't need much more.

From a 'real work' perspective - I threw VPN on there, and was able with just a Bluetooth keyboard and the pen (day before my Type Cover arrived) VPN to my corporate network, remote desktop to a server, pull in some files via FTP, and do some work setting up applications and databases. With just this and a 3G hotspot, and especially now with the Type Cover, I can basically handle anything short of running a full HyperV environment for demos and research (and I'll do that as soon as there's an i7 model with 8GB+ of RAM).

Things I don't like - the Windows app store is crap (but I knew that already), so a lot of the stuff out there that would make the Metro part of the OS useful on a tablet is just awful. I haven't found a good Twitter client, there's a million unofficial Facebook apps that look sketchy as hell, and I haven't seen a good Google Reader client that doesn't crash. So my Metro usage consists of the touchscreen IE, my IM client (which is actually okay), and a Reddit app that's alright but prone to crashing. I'm hoping as this thing gets out in the wild in bigger numbers it'll start to see some real app support, just because the more things that are usable as a non-keyboarded tablet the more useful it'll be.

I think, just from the perspective of having a usable work laptop along with a LOT less weight than a full-size one, it's already a success - it's basically going to be my default personal machine for travel from now on, and I see it getting some time in front of the TV as a tablet as well (though I wouldn't use it for Kindle, etc - too heavy to sit and read with).

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

Pretty much spot on in agreement. App store is horrible, but I have been pretty happy with MS apps.

did you get the extended warranty? I did, but they didn't actually give me anything for it. is it automatically added to the serial number in their database?

Edit: Never mind, found it under support.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:33:14 PM by Lee » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:19 AM »

Finding that if you don't use Metro, programs are much less user friendly (and there aren't enough good third party metro apps yet). Buttons are tiny and often hard to activate with a finger touch. The pen is better, but sometimes have a difficult time getting button presses registered with it as well. There is this odd middle ground between tablet and laptop that certainly could be smoother. Doesn't help that I am still struggling with Win 8.

Annoyingly I can't play Civ V. The window it runs in is slightly too big so the click to start the game button is under the taskbar and unclickable. Running it is the first time fans came on and it got very hot.

Word '13 works well though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:38:33 AM by Lee » Logged
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »

Clanwolfer: Nextgen Reader is an excellent Metro (or Modern UI, as it is called now) interface Google reader.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

How are you guys still liking the Surface Pro? I'm thinking about getting one or the Acer Iconia W700 - mainly for the slightly bigger screen.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »

Still think its great, although I reach for my iPad more often than the Surface for couch surfing, just because its quicker to turn on, easier to handle, and has apps like Tweetbot. The Surface is what I grab if I am going to do some typing, want Word/Excel, or need a Windows friendlier browser. I use it for school stuff a lot since its very much like a very fast laptop that I can comfortably use wherever I am.

Metro is good on a Surface, but the apps are pretty lacking so far, and the learning curve is a bit steeper. I have had to do web searches just to find out how to do casual easy things because without the Start menu it's hard to find crap.

I would highly recommend it for someone who needs the power/function of a laptop in a tablet, otherwise stick with the iOS/Android options.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:37:08 PM by Lee » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

MS cuts Surface RT prices, effective July 14:

Microsoft is cutting the price of its Surface RT tablets, base model to cost $349
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/4514888/microsoft-surface-rt-tablet-price-cuts
The new Surface RT prices are detailed below.

Surface RT 32GB - $349.99
    Surface RT 64GB - $449.99
    Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover - $449.99
    Surface RT 64GB with Touch Cover - $549.99

Update: Staples has confirmed the price cut in a listing in its weekly promotional ads. The price cut comes into effect on Sunday July 14th.
While this is supposedly in part to try to spur demand a bit, they apparently have some updated models on the way as well.

No price cuts on the more well-regarded Surface Pro.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »

$900 Million hit from MS on Surface RT in 4Q earnings.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/07/microsoft-takes-900-million-hit-for-unsold-surface-rts-in-4q13-earnings/
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 01:19:47 AM »

Love my surface pro. Wish the desktop mode had a better touch overlay, but sarright. Windows 8.1 is a big step up - stuff like better splitscreen handling (click a link from email, and IE pops up as a split screen. Another fave is changing the left swipe-in to simply open the left bar with all the "alt-tabs" Touch the one you want, and if the split is up, the interface naturally "asks" which side it should replace.

Also, the case I picked up for it really helps out as it has a hand strap on the back of it.

Anyone know of an app that allows writing without having to use the MS interface?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »

Surface Pro 2 unveiled.

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

While Surface 2 sounds pretty awesome it's just hard to justify the price for personal use compared to other tablets...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

While Surface 2 sounds pretty awesome it's just hard to justify the price for personal use compared to other tablets...

Yeah, I really love my Surface Pro, but I haven't used it for months. For school work the screen isn't big enough. For couch browsing it's too big and bulky. It's more of an odd lapto than a tablet. My Air an iPad get far more use.

I really should sell the thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 25, 2013, 12:41:16 PM

Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2?

iPad (16GB) is 500
Surface 2 (32GB) is 450 - now has 1080p, 10hr battery, faster, thinner, lighter, and USB3 port.

The leg up that iPad has is its current stable of software - but it's not the cost that should dissuade you.

Surface Pro 2 is a full PC - it can output to dual monitors daisychained through mini-displayport, and the most expensive version (i5 Haswell, Intel 4400 HD video, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD) is 1800 (1930 with their snap-on backlit type keyboard)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »

My surface is my main PC (I have a bit of a transitory life at the moment). I don't play much on it, but I have a setup in my bedroom that includes a 27" monitor that I output to. I found that the kickstand on the Surface (naked) was alright, but I understand why they went with two positions on the Surface 2 line - it makes it far more useful.

I have a Moko rotary cover on mine all the time. If I had a Surface Pro 2, I'd probably not have a cover on it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 25, 2013, 01:01:45 PM

I have a Moko rotary cover on mine all the time. If I had a Surface Pro 2, I'd probably not have a cover on it.

I was expecting a rotary keyboard on it slywink

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »

So has anyone tried out a Surface Pro 3? Seriously tempted to pick one up since they seemed to have fixed everything that was wrong with the first one. The only thing holding me back is price, the model I want will be $1400 with the keyboard and I am not sure it's worth that much to me (I think that still includes Office). If they have a sale I will probably crack and get one. I believe they are selling quite well so far, so probably won't see a sales anytime soon. Heck I would even take throwing in the keyboard for free.

Anyone get one? Impressions?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 06, 2014, 06:00:08 AM

So has anyone tried out a Surface Pro 3? Seriously tempted to pick one up since they seemed to have fixed everything that was wrong with the first one. The only thing holding me back is price, the model I want will be $1400 with the keyboard and I am not sure it's worth that much to me (I think that still includes Office). If they have a sale I will probably crack and get one. I believe they are selling quite well so far, so probably won't see a sales anytime soon. Heck I would even take throwing in the keyboard for free.

Anyone get one? Impressions?

Bill Harris has one
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2014/07/surface-pro-3.html
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

1) No version gives you Office for free. Come on now - that's Microsoft's cash cow. They even 'rent' it to you for a yearly free nowadays (although my local Best Buy still had the 'buyable' version which works forever). biggrin

2) IMHO, get the $999 one (and then spend $150 for a keyboard). It has a SD-XC slot supporting up to 128GB of storage...which will cost you a SHIT TON less than Microsoft's absolutely ripoff prices for getting a bigger SSD drive. Seriously, $300 to go from 128GB to 256GB, along with 4GB of RAM to 8GB? An insult.

3) That said, I'm typing this post on my $999 model with keyboard...and I really love it. It's just the right size for a secondary laptop/tablet, it has a fantastic absurdly high resolution screen on it (so expect to use the 'zoom' function that Windows has, which has issues with a few things unfortunately), and it has a great battery life. It's even capable of gaming to a limited extent (just don't expect miracles). Although I have not tried out Steam's streaming function from my true gaming rig to see how that performs.

4) As a small laptop, and even as a tablet for reading lots of PDFs and such in a vertical orientation, I have few complaints. My big ones is that the Virtual Keyboard sucks if you're at all used to say, a cell phone keyboard or something like an iPad or such. It offers NOTHING but a basic generic keyboard. No auto correct, no auto capitalization, no auto anything. And the layout stinks.

That said, I've found out how to bring up the 'real' keyboard that has been with Windows since like forever (under the Ease of Use Access Center in Windows 8, not sure on older versions), and that keyboard is far more useful if you're say, typing with the pen or something as it's an exact duplicate of any keyboard you've seen since keyboards were widely used. And it's infinitely resizeable and minimizeable and such. In my experience however, the auto-suggest words did not work with programs I tried it on (that said, very few programs), so I dunno if that is a Windows problem or not. I'd have to test it more.

5) I've had little experience using it as a laptop on my lap, but it seems that the new magnet introduced with the new keyboard, along with the very large range of angles the stand can be put to, make it seem like it would work quite well.

6) My cat constantly walks all over this keyboard whenever she wants attention. She avoided my actual laptop I had before this. I'm not sure why.

So far, this has been a good (and expensive) purchase. I'm glad I bought it though. Any further questions? Ask away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »

Thanks Naednek, I don't read DQ as much as I used to and missed that. Always trust Bill Harris's opinion.

Destructor, I thought when I bought at Surface 1 it came with free Office? Now that I think about it, you are right, it came with a free year of 365.

I was looking at the more expensive model for the memory more than the drive. I use cloud services so much that I don't need the bigger drive, and this won't be a machine used for storing big items or watching movies. More memory would be nice for the occasional game like Civ V, which I know from my Surface 1 has a touch interface. I didn't like gaming on the 1st one because the screen was too squished and before loading a game you had to go into menus to change the screen magnification first otherwise much of the interface was cut off. That is my first question, do you still have to mess with magnification for running desktop applications, and if you do still need to, is it buried in control panel or is there a quick way to change it?

It's main purpose would be school, especially OneNote for use with the stylus. Have you messed with OneNote? I am already a big fan of the program and would love to replace paper/pen for note taking in class. I have heard there is some major stylus lag for artists, but is this the case for writing? Is the stylus as quick as if I was using a pen on paper? Memory comes into it here too, how does it perform if I have a bunch of apps open? Does it cause lag with the stylus if I am writing in OneNote, have a large PDF open, a webpage, and Word?

With my first Surface, what I really hated was that there would be two apps for things like Evernote, one for Metro and one for the desktop. I have read MS is trying to fix this, make it so all the apps are universal, have they been successful? Is there still a Metro version for apps that is weaker than the desktop version? Do you find you use your Surface in desktop mode or Metro?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:49:43 PM by Lee » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

OneNote is really cool. You can even access it with the device off...somehow. I don't understand what trickery they're using. Just tap the back of the pen (which works quite nice) and OneNote boots up no matter what the device is doing. And it looks like real handwriting, too, instead of just random lines. It follows and displays your marks very accurately. Also, OneNote is a Metro app ONLY, so for me at least, it'll drop back into it until I hit the Windows button to go back to Desktop mode.

And the stylus is surprisingly well made, too. It does what people says it does, although I put a screen protector on my Surface the instant I bought it, so I have no idea how it feels without. And I've seen no input lag of any sort, no matter what I'm doing to the system, and I was stressing it pretty heavily with a full screen stream via Twitch for hours on end when I first bought it.

I run my Surface entirely in Desktop mode. I absolutely despise the giant icon interface of mess (Metro) so I never ever see it. But the size of everything seems fine (but it's at 1 'slider mark' past Smaller - by default it's 2 marks up), although at my level, some people will find it tiny. User's choice. And short of gaming (again, haven't done much), my desktop apps (browser, Steam, Pidgin chat client, etc) all work happily.

It's easy to get into the settings for screen size - Right Click the desktop, hit Screen Resolution, then Make text and other items larger and smaller. Adjust the slider from there, hit okay.

$300 for 4GB of RAM is...wow just such a crazy price. Yes, I realize that more is better, but in this case, it's not worth that kind of money for the upgrade in my eyes. That said, the included 4GB should be enough for light games like Civ 5. I've personally only run Pinball Arcade on it, and have done so with no problem. Maybe I'll go install Shadowrun Returns just because it has a touch interface too and try that out for fun.

Finally, I think the Surface RTs (the non-real-Windows Surfaces) came with free Office...because you weren't getting a full OS with your purchase. The Surface 3 does not have the RT option - it is only available as a full WinOS 8.1 machine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:14:17 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

I just can't get over the price. If it were $1K for the 8GB version I'd be on it. I just can't handle 4GB on something that actually is running Windows AND I have to spend $150 for the keyboard? At the price they are selling at, it's competitive with a 13" Macbook Pro Retina... which is crazy talk.

Then again if this really could replace a full laptop *and* I was a true Windows user, I guess the price isn't that bad. As a second device though... can't do it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:25 AM »

I am weak, I got one. Got at 10% discount for being a veteran, which made it a bit easier to stomach. Got the i5 8GB model. Destructor is right, it is way over priced, I just can't see buying a laptop with less than 8GB. Also I was shopping for a Windows laptop earlier this year and found most to be cheap crap. For a decent laptop not made of plastic and low quality parts you are easily going to pay $1500. If you compare the Surface to the better ultrabooks out there, the price isn't that bad. The hardware feels to be very high quality and the specs are decent with the a great display and AC wifi. (Praying I don't have the reported wifi issues.)

I am an Apple guy, so I am biased, but MS has a lot to learn from Apple as far as stores go. Employees needed the manager's help with the discount. The manager was busy playing Xbox and was quite annoyed that he had to help out. They were trying to get me a package deal with the warranty, case etc, which would have been cheaper, but they couldn't get it to work with the discount. Again the manager was too busy to care. I almost walked out due to him, but the employees themselves were doing everything they could to work it out and were very friendly. You could tell they were very embarrassed by the manager as well. I am going to see if I can leave store feedback somewhere.

I am very impressed though. New kickstand is great. Touch keyboard has greatly improved. OneNote with the stylus is nothing short of great. I would kill for an iPad with a stylus like that, but it don't think Apple will ever do it because they are so against stylus. Note taking with my finger just doesn't work well unfortunately.

Windows 8 though, ugh. Had to run a bunch of updates. Figured a new device would be more up to date and/or they could bundle the updates to one download like you would get on an Apple computer. 2 firmware updates later, as well as about 50 software updates it's working well.

Metro still seems very tacked on. I shouldn't have two different sections for preferences. You have Metro preferences and then you have desktop preferences. I can't change the track pad options in desktop options, I have to use Metro's preferences. Plus I had to reboot just to get the trackpad preferences to even show. I don't use Windows much, so maybe I'm just rusty, but I am having a hard time just finding things despite the improvements. Still Windows 8 is getting better.

Nice to see there is no longer screen magnification. Civ 5 you had to mess with magnification on a Surface 1' but that is gone. This time I had to jump through a few hoops to get it running buy it seems to work fine now. It does get very hot though. Other games like Air Patrol work great as well. It seems like this could be a decent gaming machine outside of FPS.

I am disappointed to see that metro apps are still not the same as desktop apps. The metro Evernote app even asked if I wanted to install the desktop app, which is vastly superior. Having two different versions of one app is just silly. Metro should take me to the desktop app.

So while I really like it, Windows 8 is still the major thing holding it back. But as I said, I am an Apple guy, that may just because I am not used to it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2014, 06:36:52 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 07, 2014, 04:02:25 AM

I am an Apple guy, so I am biased, but MS has a lot to learn from Apple as far as stores go. Employees needed the manager's help with the discount. The manager was busy playing Xbox and was quite annoyed that he had to help out. They were trying to get me a package deal with the warranty, case etc, which would have been cheaper, but they couldn't get it to work with the discount. Again the manager was too busy to care. I almost walked out due to him, but the employees themselves were doing everything they could to work it out and were very friendly. You could tell they were very embarrassed by the manager as well. I am going to see if I can leave store feedback somewhere.

Out of curiosity but we're you at a Microsoft Store? Sounds like someone needs to be looking for a new job.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2014, 07:40:09 AM »

Yep, MS store. I am hoping they send me a customer survey. I really liked the 2 employees that were helping me and would like to leave good feedback for them as well. Even if the manager had been more helpful, it looked really bad, if it wasn't for the uniform I would have just assumed he was some guy playing Xbox while he was waiting for his girlfriend. He never once talked to me even though he came over at least 3 times trying to get the discount right.

Been playing with OneNote, it's pretty smooth. Very easy to use but some of the interface options are a bit confusing (for instance adding rows/columns to a table should be easier). When using the pen it removes all of the interface so it feels like you are using a pen on a blank piece of paper. I would like the tool bar to stay up though, it slowed me down a bit having to switch between pen and keyboard when a quick button press would have been easier. For a productivity device I am really liking it. Although it would never replace an iPad for a general screwing around while watching tv device. And if I was typing a paper it wouldn't replace a full laptop with keyboard just because the feel of the keyboard isn't quite the same. The track pad sucks compared to a MacBook's trackpad as well. It really does fall somewhere in the middle between a tablet and laptop. Doesn't quite live up to either but is decent at both. Still the main thing holding it back is Windows 8. I do think it will be perfect for school.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »

May I recommend you get the Arc Touch Surface Edition mouse? It's a decent enough mouse on its own (and folds flat for easily stuffing into a small bag for travel), but it's also Bluetooth based, which means you don't have to clog up your one USB port for a cable or adapter or anything else.

Also, I got mine at Best Buy (didn't want to drive ages to the only Microsoft store in the state). Despite it being Best Buy, the crew there were quite nice and helpful and didn't push anything on me short of their warranty (which I turned down). And then I went back the next day to grab said mouse and a case to take my Surface and everything else to and fro.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation. I plant to get one next month. Need to spread the pain out.  icon_neutral

Not usually a warranty guy, but on a mobile device it makes me feel a bit better about dropping it, etc.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »

Gabe of Penny Arcade posted some more about his Surface 3 today. He basically finds it almost unusable for drawing.

While I will only really use the pen for OneNote, which it seems to work fine with, this scares me. Is it a software problem that they can fix? Or is it a hardware, which will mean MS will be quick to push out a new version to fix it? Would be quite disappointed if its the later causing my system will be quickly outdated.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2014, 05:41:41 AM »

And mine is buggy. Just woke it up, trackpad wouldn't work. Rebooted and trackpad works for the most part but pauses at times. The wifi either times out or takes a very long time to load anything. It's supposedly a driver issue that was introduced with an update in late June. Don't know what to do, I really like it, but this is unacceptable. Not sure how long the return policy is, but I don't think I want to wait for them to fix it either. This thing is too expensive to not work perfectly out of the box.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Take it back. Maybe they'll have the bugs ironed out for the Surface 4
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 08, 2014, 05:41:41 AM

And mine is buggy. Just woke it up, trackpad wouldn't work. Rebooted and trackpad works for the most part but pauses at times. The wifi either times out or takes a very long time to load anything. It's supposedly a driver issue that was introduced with an update in late June. Don't know what to do, I really like it, but this is unacceptable. Not sure how long the return policy is, but I don't think I want to wait for them to fix it either. This thing is too expensive to not work perfectly out of the box.

That blows. Return it and wait to see if they sort things out. Buy one then.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 08, 2014, 12:52:37 AM

Gabe of Penny Arcade posted some more about his Surface 3 today. He basically finds it almost unusable for drawing.

While I will only really use the pen for OneNote, which it seems to work fine with, this scares me. Is it a software problem that they can fix? Or is it a hardware, which will mean MS will be quick to push out a new version to fix it? Would be quite disappointed if its the later causing my system will be quickly outdated.

Update

He was using Photoshop, which is apparently 'experimental'.  He's had better luck using Manga Studio 5.0.4.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »

You beat me to it Isgrimnur, just came to post that.

Did some research on my issues. The trackpad, I have no idea what the problem is, but it seems intermittent. With my first Surface I had to reattach the keyboard at times to clear up minor issues with it. Guess things haven't changed there (could just be me). The wifi problem was introduced in a June 21 firmware update that only affects machines connected to AC routers after they are woken up from sleep mode. The suggested fix is to downgrade the firmware and turn off auto updates. You can just turn wifi off and on for a temporary fix the problem as well.

Still torn on it, it's not a huge problem, but annoying. I don't understand why MS isn't rolling back the drivers/firmware themselves. That it's been 2.5 weeks and it's still not fixed is concerning. At this point I think I will wait a couple more days and see what happens.

Edit: Ha, new firmware just released that supposedly fixes it. Will post later if it actually does or not.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:25:53 PM by Lee » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2014, 02:06:52 AM »

I need to look around at firmware updates (or if I even want to go that route) - I've just done the usual Windows patches and haven't had any issues.

Personally, the only touchpad issues I've had is where it (and the rest of the keyboard) seem to go into a 'sleep mode' of sorts. Keys work instantly if the backlighting of the keyboard isn't on, but the trackpad takes a second or two to 'wake up'. Then again I don't use it much (the trackpad) as I always have my mouse hooked up and running. *shrugs*

And I've had wifi issues where it's just 'not as fast' as it is when it's plugged into the mains. But then again I've had this issue with -every- laptop I've owned in like the last 10 years. I think it's part of just How Windows Works. Although if there's a way to override it, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Looking at the PA posts, I agree that yes, there is a 'hover lag' that Gabe talks about, but it doesn't seem to affect anything that I've used my Surface 3 for.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:08:40 AM by Destructor » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:06 AM »

The firmware patches are part of Windows update, you don't have to do anything special to get them, Destructor. There were 2, IIRC, today that were part of the 17 or so updates. So far no problems, and the track pad issue hasn't come up again. I just hate the track pad in general though, I wish MS would copy Apple. The keyboard otherwise is quite nice, mostly definitely a step up from the 1st version. I still have my old wedge mouse from my Surface 1, so I have been using that. Not the greatest mouse, but works.

Curious, do you have an AC router? Maybe this firmware update will help you.

I don't use the pen much right now, I will when I get back to school, but right now this thing is just a fancy web browser. I have noticed the hover lag, but doesn't really bug me.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »

MS is constantly patching this thing and most of the little things are gone, like the really slow wifi connecting on wake up. Liking it more and more and then the thing goes and acts weird on me again. I last used it about 20 hours ago and the battery was at 85%. Turn it on this morning and the battery is down to 10%. Nothing was left running but background apps like dropbox and Evernote. It has never gone down that quickly in sleep before.

Then I run update, it restarts, plug it in, and I close the keyboard to put it to sleep. Few minutes later the fans on it come on. Something called Windows Installer Worker has the CPU at 20% but it isn't installing anything. Reboot and CPU is at 0%, but the fan still won't turn off. It finally turns off when I put it back to sleep. This problem scares me a bit because I don't want it doing that when stashed in a bag. Plus I need to be able to rely on the battery. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

I really like the thing, but sick of these little issues.

One really cool thing I discovered tonight (this morning actually, insomnia is killing me): double click the pen button to take a screen shot from anywhere, then it opens in OneNote where you can crop it. That is so handy and neat.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is to use Hibernate (Start - Shutdown - Hibernate) instead of Sleep. Hibernate (in theory, as I've had it wake up on its own during transport somehow), shuts the computer completely off to boot back up quickly later. Like 5 seconds quickly. The joys of SSD drives - it's so fast.

Did not know about the screenshot thing - that could be useful. Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: