http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:32:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Surface - Surface Pro 2 unveiled  (Read 4154 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »

just announced, MS's tablet; with the way Windows 8 is going you had to guess this was coming.  W8 screams 'touch me!':

two versions: Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro.  Pro has Ivy Bridge processors and a stylus.  release date is 'time of Windows 8 general availability' for RT or '3 months after' for Pro version and pricing 'will be competitive'.

Quote from: Yahoo Live Blog
Model 1:
676 grams
9.3 mm thin
10.6" ClearType HD Display
microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD video, 2x@ MIMO antenna
Office Home and Student 2013 RT, Touch Cover, Type Cover
VaporMg Case and Stand
32GB and 64 GB

Quote from: Yahoo Live Blog
Model 2:
Windows 8 Pro
903 grams
13.5 mm thick
10.6" ClearType HD Display
larger battery
microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
VaporMg Case & Stand
64 GB, 128 GB

live blog that I'm following (here's another).  I'm going to put up a few of the pics, the rest you can see there.

main site is up.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:10:06 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »

Looks like their just heading for consumer confusion town with two completely different OSes being available on those things. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »

Will it be compatible with Zune?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »

If they are smart they would sell them at a lose to gain market share., but that's wishful thinking

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:30:10 AM »

limited hands on with the RT version from Endgadget.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »

Have to say the keyboard cover idea is pretty neat.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »

Goddammit Microsoft. Why do you constantly cock things up?  There are some genuinely great ideas here, but they are mired in a number of horrific decisions.

Ugh.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?03fkja
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »

Care to elaborate on these "horrific decisions"?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 19, 2012, 02:48:19 AM

Care to elaborate on these "horrific decisions"?

Two from the road, one product and one marketing:

Two separate versions that are not 100% cross compatible. Way to spectacularly confuse and artificially divide the market you are going after. Classic msft: why be good at one thing when you can be mediocre at two?

The non announcement. Here's this somewhat cool tech that we can't tell you when will be available, how much it costs, what the battery life is, etc...  They asked more questions than they answered with the launch.

By the time this thing hits the market, only the same people who bought the windows phone will be interested. And we know how well that's turning out.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c3qixl
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:01 AM »

What do you mean by cross-compatible? They've stepped away from Ford manufacturing (You can have any color you want, as long as it's black) - Two products with different specs, on the same product category.

So I really don't get that. If the marketplace is consistent, it doesn't matter. Hell, Apple's marketplace is fragmented - look at iOS versions, and supportability. I agree that they need to keep a tighter reign on product fragmentation than, say, Android - but I disagree that having a lower end and upper-end model is a bad idea.

The price and battery life are figures that, unless ready for market, will be speculative and serve no purpose but to give the competition the ability to try and steal that thunder. Windows 8's launch has now become much more enticing.

I was kind of hoping they were going to announce a fully functioning Kinect for W8 that let you "Minority Report" your PC interface - no touching required.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:25:49 AM »

Also, they give more specs then Apple does - period. Tongue

Ultrabook pricing is mid-700's (using HP Envy as a starting point). With an i5 chip and USB 3, I'd be all over that.

For those not looking for the extra power, you'll be looking at the 400 range for an RT one. Sure, these are guesses, but they come from reading the press comments.

Looks like I'm going to keep waiting and not bother with "The next iPad". From that perspective, they've intrigued this W7 phone user.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:38:05 AM »

The thing about not being cross-compatible and creating a fractured audience is that the two operating systems and hardware specs are inherently different. 

Windows RT on the lower spec system is an ARM-specific OS that only runs Metro style apps that have been specifically coded for it (different than the Metro style apps that run in Windows 8 ).

The other high spec system does run full Windows 8 on an Intel chip which has the normal Windows desktop and W8 Metro hub, so basically a laptop.  Which means they are two very different systems underneath, with no cross-compatibility.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:38:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 19, 2012, 03:25:49 AM

Ultrabook pricing is mid-700's (using HP Envy as a starting point).

ah, good, I was feeling to lazy to lookup the pricing for those and was hoping someone would do it for me.  at least I have a minimum ballpark figure of how much the 128 gig one may cost.

Because I can,
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:00:28 AM »

That keyboard is awesome. But honestly, that's the only part that looks cool to me. All I can think of is constant MS updates, crashes, and viruses. The display looks okay. I like the engaget video "we're not allowed to get too close."  retard

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

I've been running Windows 8 on an ancient machine (core2 quad 9530 or somesuch thing - it still uses DDR2) and I don't get ANY of those three things.

Hell, I didn't get them with Windows 7, OR Vista (though vista was by no means a fantastic interface). I don't know what experiences you've had, but I've been tech support since the early nineties both professionally and at one point, as a PC builder. MS's AV (security essentials) software, which is free for non-pirated copies of Windows, hasn't let any virii through. Perhaps I don't traipse enough through the seedy underbelly of the net (astalavista is a great place to introduce your PC to infection), but I don't see the crashes as an issue - and my iPhone spends more time updating and patching apps than my PC ever does.

These devices aren't designed to give you the "desktop" (although, who knows, maybe the Pro8 will, but we *know* that the ARM devices won't get that) so you'll be using apps the same way in which you'd use them for the WP7 - very similar in how the apps work for iOS and Android.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

I'm interested but after they suddenly and quietly stopped making Zune MP3 players, I'm a little wary of buying hardware from Microsoft.  That still pisses me off to this day.

...but man, if steam became available for it and allowed me to run some of my games from that service, I'd be on this like white on rice.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:03:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2012, 02:01:09 PM

...but man, if steam became available for it and allowed me to run some of my games from that service, I'd be on this like white on rice.

if it is plain old Windows 8 Pro on there I don't see why Steam wouldn't run.  I installed Steam on my netbook when it had Windows 7 Starter edition and it worked, granted I didn't play much on it before I got drunk one night and decided to install Ubuntu on it (with no real next morning regrets mind you).

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 19, 2012, 02:10:31 PM

before I got drunk one night and decided to install Ubuntu on it

You...are...a....party...ANIMAL. 

"Hey everyone, let's do body shots and run grep on some shit!"

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2012, 02:15:14 PM

yep, I break out the vino and go wild biggrin

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2012, 02:15:14 PM

cat shit|grep -v "litter"

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »

Ah fudge...I just ran that in my ESXi console and now my server smells funny....

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

I lulzed.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »

I'm interested but after they suddenly and quietly stopped making Zune MP3 players, I'm a little wary of buying hardware from Microsoft.  That still pisses me off to this day.
I was an early adopter of the Zune, including purchasing a decent amount of songs through their marketplace.  I had the HD Zune with a pretty good sized music library.  It was a finicky platform, crashing or hanging during updates, and just locking up at random.  And then to my surprise also, MS quits the Zune.  I learned my lesson.  I won't be jumping on this one until it's survived a couple of years, with good feedback. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on June 19, 2012, 04:00:28 AM

That keyboard is awesome. But honestly, that's the only part that looks cool to me. All I can think of is constant MS updates, crashes, and viruses.

Are those really problems these days?  Updates are installed in the background at night, and I can't remember the last time I had an OS crash or was hit by a virus.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 20, 2012, 12:17:33 AM

I'm interested but after they suddenly and quietly stopped making Zune MP3 players, I'm a little wary of buying hardware from Microsoft.  That still pisses me off to this day.
I was an early adopter of the Zune, including purchasing a decent amount of songs through their marketplace.  I had the HD Zune with a pretty good sized music library.  It was a finicky platform, crashing or hanging during updates, and just locking up at random.  And then to my surprise also, MS quits the Zune.  I learned my lesson.  I won't be jumping on this one until it's survived a couple of years, with good feedback. 

I never got burned by the Zune ... I've had a ton of PC hardware (keyboards, mice, etc) and they've all been rock solid with fantastic support.

The 360's dismal failure rates aside (to which MS made "good"-if-not-"great"), I have never had a problem with MS hardware.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »

Being an early WP7 adopter has taught me the need to wait on new MS products.  Not to see if the hardware or OS work well, as the WP7 is a fantastic smartphone.  But to see if MS really gets behind it.  Or, really, stays behind it.

They came out of the gate seeming to be really pushing the WP7.  Then they just kinda stopped.  It may be because they're gearing up for something great with WP8, but the sad fact remains that the WP7 is getting no love at all.  I imagine this tablet will be the same, as it's coming into the marketplace in a similar, uphill battle situation.  Apple dominating the field, while a couple of pretenders to the throne are taking the remains leaving nothing for them to scoop up. 

I thought getting a piece of the Nook would do something for this, but I'm not seeing what, if anything.

I hope they make a dent in the market, but I imagine it'll be several years down the road before that's possible.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:24 AM »

Quote from: Laner on June 20, 2012, 01:16:49 PM

Quote from: Crusis on June 19, 2012, 04:00:28 AM

That keyboard is awesome. But honestly, that's the only part that looks cool to me. All I can think of is constant MS updates, crashes, and viruses.

Are those really problems these days?  Updates are installed in the background at night, and I can't remember the last time I had an OS crash or was hit by a virus.

Dunno. I gave up on windows and went Mac last year.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:03:02 AM by Crusis » Logged

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »

Do not want - can't get excited about hardware from a software company.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:18 AM »

MS keyboards and mice are second only to Logitech. Software is their day job, obviously, but I don't dismiss their hardware.

Not that I want a tablet anyway. Just don't understand the appeal.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »

what I don't get is the bit about 'horrific decisions'. why deride them for supporting ARM?  it allows you to have a more full featured OS on a low power tablet than you get with the android and apple models.  all apps not 100% cross compatible, well of course not, the software is not compiled for that architecture, that's up to the dev to port it over.  I can tell you from what I have seen at work, the vast majority of apps are being released to run on ARM as well. 

why are you mocking the design? it's a tablet with an optional keyboard and a damn fine looking one at that.  not sure what you are seeing wrong with this.  it looks a hell of a lot more functional than an external bluetooth keyboard attached to a leather case.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »

Frankly looks great to me.  I have never really felt compelled to get an Ipad - there have been a few ios games I've thought might be nice, but as a productivity tool it just isn't compatible with what I need it to do.  Surface on the other hand, as long as the price isn't outrageous, looks like something I'd be much more interested in.  It combines the entertainment factor of a tablet like an ipad with serious work tools.  An ipad could never replace my laptop for work - the surface looks like it could.  Thumbs up!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »

Stolen from Daringfireball:

http://marketingland.com/hands-off-microsoft-surface-tablet-review-15146

Nice trick? No, you know what’s a nice trick? Bringing out devices that no one can actually use. I know they work. I could see that one of the Microsoft guys was all logged into his. But why not let us actually use them, especially when you’ve made us wait from 10 to 60 minutes specifically, as we were told, so we’d all have some close-up time with Surface.

No journalist seems to have really used any of these at the launch event. None of the hands-on reviews that I’ve read, having been in that room and toured the stations, have anything that reflects any real hands-on activity to me. There’s plenty of careful photography that can give the impression that hands-on was going on. Some of it doesn’t even illustrate how the last station with the Surface tablets with keyboards in them literally had a rope to keep us away.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »

The product is (for the non-ARM version) at least 8 months out. Doesn't come as a big surprise - MS only held that to let the market know that there is something COMPELLING about Windows 8, beyond an app marketplace and some integration.

Mfgrs didn't come through with Win7 tablets - clearly MS needed to get involved. From what I see, this is a way to prevent W8's feature sets seeming like they're wasted because the only market interest is on existing devices. It looks like they're moving their product in a way which they failed with the Zune.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:47:07 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »

MS reports October 26th release.

Microsoft has confirmed that its slick-looking Surface tablet will launch on Oct. 26, the same day it releases the Windows 8 operating system, as noted in the company’s annual report to the SEC.

“The next version of our operating system, Windows 8, will be generally available on October 26, 2012,” Microsoft wrote in the report. “At that time, we will begin selling the Surface, a series of Microsoft-designed and manufactured hardware devices.”

While this is all Microsoft has said about the Surface’s availability, we can infer that this will be the launch of an ARM-based version of the tablet running Windows RT. Windows RT is a light-weight version of the OS that will have Office pre-installed. Microsoft will release an Intel-based Surface tablet running Windows 8 Pro 90 days after it ships the ARM-based version with RT.

it's been awfully quiet since the initial reveal.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

So the "real" one won't be released for at least 3 months after that?  Bummer.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »

Wake up, you Surface freaks!!!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Microsoft Surface tablet goes on sale for $499 (32GB), $699 (64GB):
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/gaming-gadgets/surface-tablet-mashable/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Starting today at 9 a.m. PT, consumers can preorder Microsoft's upstart 10.6-inch tablet at Surface.com, with prices starting at $499 for the 32GB model and $699 for the 64GB model. Both tablets are Wi-Fi only.

The Windows RT (Microsoft's ARM-friendly version of Windows 8, which ships Oct. 26) tablet, which offers a built-in kickstand, does not ship with the 3mm thin Touch Cover keypad. That'll run you $119. The Touch Cover, which features real keys, costs $129. You can save $20 if you buy the $599 Surface/Touch Cover bundle (the $699 edition comes with the Touch Cover).
Along with a Nvidia Tegra 3 CPU (which may be running at 1.5 GHz), Microsoft has stuffed an impressive 2 GB of RAM inside the Surface. It also features an 802.11N Mimo Wi-Fi radio, Bluetooth 4.0, an accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, dual microphones, stereo speakers, an HD-out port, a full-sized USB 2.0 port and a micro SD-slot. There are two 720p cameras (no 1080p); one on the front and one on the back.

It also comes pre-loaded with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview edition, which Microsoft execs say has been tweaked to accommodate the touch-screen interface.
The device will ship Oct. 26, and also be available at roughly 65 Microsoft stores and holiday pop-up locations around the country. Microsoft is devoting nearly 50% of its store floor space to the iPad rival. Surface will also go on sale in eight international locations, including China, Hong Kong, United Kingdom, Germany, France and Australia.
Mashable also got a little more actual hands-on time with the now "finished" Surface products this time around:
We got to very briefly hold the device. It weighs 1.5 pounds, but does not feel heavier than the 1.46-pound iPad. Microsoft's Sinofsky and Panos Panay, General Manager for Microsoft's Surface program, said that this is because Microsoft engineered the "inertia" (the feeling you get when someone, say, drops the Surface into your hand) to be different, essentially spreading the weight out over a larger area and as evenly as possibly.

We also got a chance, in Microsoft's secret labs, to attach and detach the Touch Cover, which, thanks to powerful -- albeit tiny — magnets, snaps sharply into place with a resounding snap. The hold looks to be quite strong, too. At one point, Sinofsky merrily dangled the tablet, holding it only by the magnetically attached cover.

We typed a bit on the tablet's cover, too. It's smart enough to not react when I rested my hands on the slightly raised, pressure-sensitive urethane keyboard, but reacted well to touch typing. The cover even includes a track pad area, which also responded well to taps and gestures.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:13:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

I'm not sure those are the right price points.  The cover looks neat though.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on October 16, 2012, 07:49:58 PM

I'm not sure those are the right price points.  The cover looks neat though.

Its not and I'm out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the point of this.  Is it designed to be a laptop replacement?  If so I can understand the price.  If it's designed to be a tablet and do things people expect to do with a tablet, then that price is going to sink it.  If I get a tablet (don't have one yet) it's going to be for web, email and music/videos.  I can do that extremely well for a hell of a lot cheaper than the Surface. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »

waiting for the other ones.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: