http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 12:33:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Store...leaked info....kicks Apple Store ass?  (Read 1939 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »

Link to story at Gizmodo

Although Microsoft states that no final design decisions have been made, Gizmodo got their sticky fingers on some mock-ups for the floor plans. According to Gizmodo, if the leaks are authentic then the MS stores are going to kick some Apple Store ass. Microsoft shops are still on target to open this Fall. Here are some store highlights.

* There's going to be a Digital Media Wall--a massive screen--that wraps around the entire store showing various messages, which you can see in some of the slides
    * Personalization is something they're stressing big time, with fancy areas devoted to customizing computers and gadgets using an "Xbox style" interface at various kiosks
    * Lots of Surface demos
    * Stage areas for Windows 7, Windows Media Center (PCTV) (it's kinda surprising how much they're pushing PCTV, actually), Windows Mobile and netbooks
    * Their take on the Genius Bar is the Answers Bar (or Guru Bar or Windows Bar, depending on which slide you look at, showing it's slightly up in the air, though we prefer Answers Bar since its sounds like slightly less like a Genius Bar ripoff)
    * Apple Store-style table layouts
    * Some of the stores they profiled for ideas are Nike, Nokia, Sony, Apple and AT&T
    * They're already planning out huge demos and events around Project Natal and their secret mobile project Pink
    * A fancy Microsoft shopping bag
    * You can pay to have your birthday party at the Microsoft Store

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »

I would definitely go check that out if true as described.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:34:17 AM »

if and when they open one around me, i'll definitely want to check it out.  should be one very close by, i am guessing.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:21 AM »

what would be really cool is if they do in store exchanges of 360's that RRoD'd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »

i'd go just to check out surface, but i doubt MS would bring a shop here any time soon.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »

Has any info been released yet about where they are opening the stores?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 28, 2009, 03:43:38 AM

* You can pay to have your birthday party at the Microsoft Store

Um...why?

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 28, 2009, 01:18:31 PM

That is excellent!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »

there is no iPod... there is only ZUUUUNNNNNE.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2009, 04:52:21 AM

what would be really cool is if they do in store exchanges of 360's that RRoD'd.

Yeah, that would be the best use of them, IMHO. Everything else is a waste of time and space.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »

I just noticed that the guys in the bottles are wearing Apple shirts.   saywhat

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 28, 2009, 02:58:56 PM

I just noticed that the guys in the bottles are wearing Apple shirts.   saywhat

did you read the first panel?

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2009, 02:56:32 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2009, 04:52:21 AM

Yeah, that would be the best use of them, IMHO. Everything else is a waste of time and space.

That might actually get me to buy a 360.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2009, 03:05:16 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 28, 2009, 02:58:56 PM

I just noticed that the guys in the bottles are wearing Apple shirts.   saywhat
did you read the first panel?

Yeah, but I didn't quite make the connection the first time.  I thought it was an agglomeration of eight of their own, not kidnapped ones from Apple.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »

It takes 8 Geniuses to comprehend clicking the Start button to shut down.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 28, 2009, 03:44:14 PM

I figured it was one Genius for every minute it takes for a Windows PC to boot up.  disgust
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's 8 geniuses to figure out why right-clicking is so much better than command-clicking.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 28, 2009, 08:41:08 PM

I figured it was one Genius for every minute it takes for a Windows PC to boot up.  disgust

I'll wait for a retraction of this after you try Win 7.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 28, 2009, 09:17:07 PM

heck, I never timed them but I'm fairly certain both my XP and Vista rig boot in less than a minute.

Because I can,
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »

I dunno - whole thing still strikes me as lame and certainly nothing that could compete against Apples retail stores.

I might visit one to see surface (only one time) or if they had a big Natal playable demo area.

Otherwise... meh...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on July 28, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

I dunno - whole thing still strikes me as lame and certainly nothing that could compete against Apples retail stores.

I might visit one to see surface (only one time) or if they had a big Natal playable demo area.

Otherwise... meh...

I'm willing to bet that none of us in here are the target audience for either the MS or Apple stores.  We do our shopping and research online, and we probably buy online from places like Newegg.  The stores don't really have much to offer us.  What both of them do is give a physical location for the less electronics-savvy to go and try things out, ask questions to a real sales person, and go to get help when things go wrong.  Having a physical store to walk into is very reassuring to someone who's having problems with their expensive electronics.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 11:36:31 PM »

Speak for yourself, Chaz. I find a lot of use at the Apple Store. I've bought several computers at Apple stores. Bought two iPods there. An iPhone. I've dropped in on the Genius Bar for service needs, and never been unsatisfied with the result. I think the Apple Stores are absolutely brilliant, and I was quite skeptical of the concept when they rolled them out, what, 8 years ago?

The Microsoft Store sounds like a knock off of the Apple Store. What, exactly, are they going to sell? Are they going to take sides between their various vendors and sell, say, HP laptops? I don't see much point around a computer-oriented store that doesn't sell computers.

dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 28, 2009, 11:25:07 PM

I'm willing to bet that none of us in here are the target audience for either the MS or Apple stores.  We do our shopping and research online, and we probably buy online from places like Newegg.  The stores don't really have much to offer us.  What both of them do is give a physical location for the less electronics-savvy to go and try things out, ask questions to a real sales person, and go to get help when things go wrong.  Having a physical store to walk into is very reassuring to someone who's having problems with their expensive electronics.
Don't forget the birfday parties!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on July 28, 2009, 11:36:31 PM

Speak for yourself, Chaz. I find a lot of use at the Apple Store. I've bought several computers at Apple stores. Bought two iPods there. An iPhone. I've dropped in on the Genius Bar for service needs, and never been unsatisfied with the result. I think the Apple Stores are absolutely brilliant, and I was quite skeptical of the concept when they rolled them out, what, 8 years ago?

Since you can't get Apple equipment much cheaper on-line you may as well go to the store.  PC folks have a lot more in the way of options and savings.  Not a knock on Apple, but the reality of the situation.  Had I the means and/or inclination to purchase Apple computer equipment I would definitely go to the store.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 28, 2009, 09:17:07 PM

hell yeah. I love the speed that 7 boots up. It's ridiculously fast. Rebooting my PC is no longer DS time.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:23 AM »

I'm having some trouble grasping what MS will sell in their stores. I mean, if you want to buy Apple stuff you might as well go to an Apple store, because there's no competition. But PCs are fungible. I guess MS still makes branded mice and keyboards, and there's the Ex-box, and of course their software. Doesn't seem like enough to carry a retail store though. Why would I go to a MS store to buy a copy of Windows or Office?

MS uses thousands of "partners" to sell their stuff. I wonder how the partners feel about this?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:19 AM »

A Microsoft store would probably be a madhouse during the launch of the "next" console.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 04:05:34 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 29, 2009, 02:31:23 AM

I'm having some trouble grasping what MS will sell in their stores. I mean, if you want to buy Apple stuff you might as well go to an Apple store, because there's no competition. But PCs are fungible. I guess MS still makes branded mice and keyboards, and there's the Ex-box, and of course their software. Doesn't seem like enough to carry a retail store though. Why would I go to a MS store to buy a copy of Windows or Office?

MS uses thousands of "partners" to sell their stuff. I wonder how the partners feel about this?

I have no particular insight into the retail store, but MSFT sells direct to customers already via the internets.  Partners will still be reselling the software, packaged with their managed services ($x / month to maintain your SBS server or whatever), and make out just fine.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »

It may seem strange and a bit stupid now, but it's a good move from Microsoft.  This helps them in the long run against the influence of Apple and their "Chic" iLifestyle.  Microsoft still controls the business market, this just helps them

And for every one of us that won't bother, there are many more casual users that won't hesitate to use a MS Store.

However, it's seriously going to take a lot more than throwing money at this to make it work.  It does sound like they're making good use of their current control in the console market to make it "chic" to own and prefer an "mGadget".
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »

What the heck do you people have on your PCs that make it take more than a minute to reboot?  eek
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on July 29, 2009, 01:41:10 PM

What the heck do you people have on your PCs that make it take more than a minute to reboot?  eek

Good question. I don't know if mine takes a full minute though it feels like that sometimes. I'm running Win XP Home Service Pack 3. Task Manager shows 24 processes running on a fresh boot. I've tried making sure no unnecessary programs sneak in there on startup, but it's hard to tell what some of them are since half are listed as "svchost.exe" and other mystery programs.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

Will there be a Zune Graveyard area?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 29, 2009, 02:58:42 PM

Will there be a Zune Graveyard area?

That's in the back of the store, right next to the landfill of red ringed 360s. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »

My new Dell Vorlon with Win XP is the first computer I've ever owned that wakes up from sleep mode quickly and reliably. I've even left it running overnight on battery power and had it wake up in the morning with its battery barely touched. A fresh boot takes about a minute, but waking up is under 10 seconds. I used to configure my power settings so that machines would never sleep or hibernate. Now I actually like sleep mode.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 29, 2009, 02:57:04 PM

What the heck do you people have on your PCs that make it take more than a minute to reboot?  eek

Good question. I don't know if mine takes a full minute though it feels like that sometimes. I'm running Win XP Home Service Pack 3. Task Manager shows 24 processes running on a fresh boot. I've tried making sure no unnecessary programs sneak in there on startup, but it's hard to tell what some of them are since half are listed as "svchost.exe" and other mystery programs.

My work laptop is a Core 2 Duo with 2 MB of RAM. My company installs so much crapware on it that it takes forever to reboot. I timed it once. From the time I hit the restart button to the time I have all of my applications open and can start working again is well over 10 minutes.

My Mac takes less than a minute to reboot no matter how many applications I have open  icon_wink
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:41:29 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 29, 2009, 04:38:21 PM

My work laptop is a Core 2 Duo with 2 MB of RAM. My company installs so much crapware on it that it takes forever to reboot. I timed it once. From the time I hit the restart button to the time I have all of my applications open and can start working again is well over 10 minutes.

Well there's your problem. Talk about needing a ton of virtual memory. biggrin  icon_twisted

Anyway - I Hibernate my laptop instead of turning it off. I only reboot it whenever I absolutely have to, and even then it's not that long of a start (Vista 64 with 4GB of RAM). My gaming rig I boot fresh all the time and Vista just pops right up most days.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »

I will check out the MS store when it open here in AZ!

http://kotaku.com/5325314/first-microsoft-stores-opening-in-arizona-california

LiveTAG: happydog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 29, 2009, 06:21:58 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 29, 2009, 04:38:21 PM

Well there's your problem. Talk about needing a ton of virtual memory. biggrin  icon_twisted

That and a low RPM laptop hard drive
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

Quote from: happydog on July 29, 2009, 06:56:26 PM

I will check out the MS store when it open here in AZ!

http://kotaku.com/5325314/first-microsoft-stores-opening-in-arizona-california

As much as I don't like going into Snotsdale, I think I'll have to make a trip to the place when it opens just to see if it's a place I can bring my 360 into when it RRoDs.  icon_twisted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: