http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:19:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Richards yells 'n' word at hecklers  (Read 2515 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »

His Laugh Factory tirade began after the two clubgoers shouted at him that he wasn’t funny. A videotape of the incident was posted on TMZ.com.

Richards retorted: “Shut up! Fifty years ago we’d have you upside down with a f------ fork up your a--.”

He then paced across the stage taunting the men for interrupting his show, peppering his speech with racial slurs and profanities.

“You can talk, you can talk, you’re brave now mother------. Throw his a-- out. He’s a n-----!” Richards shouts before repeating the racial epithet over and over again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15816126/

I never would have expected this from Kramer.. 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:03:16 AM »

Meh, he was at a comedy club.  He went dirty and took it too far.  I seriously think that words like this only have power if you grant it such.  I don't put a lot of stock into it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:12:30 AM »

What a weird, weird video.  In the later apology, he talked about how he was heckled and lost his cool, got angry, or whatever.  But in the video, it's almost like he's...I don't know.  Just out of control.  The way he just talks up there.  Maybe it was nerves?  It almost sounds like he was on something, to me...

TheMissingLink on PSN
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:32:44 AM »

I'd just chalk it up to a guy freaking out and getting carried away.

He's not a standup comedian by training - he's a comedic actor, and he obviously didn't know how to properly handle hecklers.

The most disappointing thing of all is that he wasn't funny!

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »

Not that anything he said was appropriate, but from what I saw the first racial slur was at him, not from him then he went off about it.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »

I still have not seen an unbleeped video; but can probably guess.

My first thought was that his manager advised him to do this, so he could have a redemption story. 
My second thought was that Seinfeld Season 7 comes out on DVD today.  That seems way too coincidental when I've not seen or heard from him since The Michael Richards Show was cancelled so many years ago...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:03:09 PM »

Unbleeped footage

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2006, 07:03:16 AM

Meh, he was at a comedy club.  He went dirty and took it too far.  I seriously think that words like this only have power if you grant it such.  I don't put a lot of stock into it...

+1, if Chris Rock did this, would anyone care?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »

People pay money to see washed-up 90's sitcom actors?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »

A comedian?  Saying something offensive?  Well I never!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »

That's a weird clip ... but I want to see the five minutes or so before it. Because it almost seemed like the N-bomb was loosely tied into what he was talking about before. He still did go too far - you gotta be able to get people laughing so quickly after you push the envelope like that, have to make saying such a word - in an obviously racially-mixed crowd - really worth it, or you're going to get attacked. Here, it just looked like he was being a racist to show he could be one.

Not very funny, whereas a comedian like Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle always have a strong joke behind their words.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:25:24 PM »

Stuff like this reminds me of this Pauly Shore video.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/77527/nigga_vs_nigger/

LMAO.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 05:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 21, 2006, 02:28:51 PM

You sir have a point.  (did I just say that??  eek)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2006, 05:41:03 PM

I just don't see any way a white man can call a black person a nigger and have it not be a huge problem.  Soulchilde maybe could back me up on this.  Chris Rock might be able to get away with it but there are cultural complexities at work that go way beyond "Why can't I say it if he can?"

I don't think there's any equivalent word that someone could call a white person that has the same impact, the same history, the same insult behind it.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »

I hear a ton of extremely offensive stuff on XM Comedy all the time.  This doesn't seem that bad to me. 

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 07:40:05 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 21, 2006, 05:59:57 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2006, 05:41:03 PM

I just don't see any way a white man can call a black person a nigger and have it not be a huge problem.  Soulchilde maybe could back me up on this.  Chris Rock might be able to get away with it but there are cultural complexities at work that go way beyond "Why can't I say it if he can?"

I don't think there's any equivalent word that someone could call a white person that has the same impact, the same history, the same insult behind it.

Warning has it about right. I really don't want to delve into to this or start a big PC debate, but one of the worse thing a white person can say to a black person is call him a nigger.  Even 30-40 years since the Civil Rights movement the word just has to much negative weight to it.

All that being said if the hecklers started it with racial slurs than they should have been man enough to deal with the reprecussions.  Don't dish it if you can't take it.

Actually, if Chris Rock started throwing off anti-semetic slurs in a fit of rage I think people would still be upset.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:47:27 PM »

I just have one thing to say about this, and NONE of it is to forgive Michael Richards for his completely inappropriate behavior or his use of a word he should never have said. But here is the deal: if you are not white, it's great to make fun of the white guy-every single hispanic and black comedian that I have ever seen does it-and most of the more "adult" ones do it with heaps of obscenity and plenty of slurs. While there are no slurs that carry the same hatred, racial connotations, and negativity for a white person as "nigger" does for a black person, as long as it is ok for non-white comedians to engage in discriminatory behavior we should not immediately and absolutely condemn a white comedian for the same behavior (see, I dont think MR was trying to be funny and thus he is disqualified from this protection). Simply put-if we are going to be PC about comedy, we need to be PC about what everyone says, not just what a 58 year old white guy says. Chris Rock is one of my favorite comedians of all time, and he calls plenty of white people "no good trailer trash cracker-ass crackers" He also calls plenty of black people "niggers". If it's ok for him to be equal opportunity in his comedy, it should be ok for everyone.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »

There's nothing like this sort of thing to illustrate how mistreated and downtrodden white people are.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on November 21, 2006, 09:26:47 PM

There's nothing like this sort of thing to illustrate how mistreated and downtrodden white people are.
You know what. Never mind. I thought better of this. You know that wasn't in the same stratosphere of the point I was making, but I think I finally learned what I never could on the other forums. You are not worth bothering to get annoyed over. Continue demonstrating to us how sharp your rapier wit is.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:18:23 PM by Calvin » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 09:59:59 PM »

On a related note;

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/media/storage/paper87/news/2006/11/21/News/Bu.Group.Offers.White.Scholarship-2505837.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailyfreepress.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 21, 2006, 09:59:59 PM

On a related note;

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/media/storage/paper87/news/2006/11/21/News/Bu.Group.Offers.White.Scholarship-2505837.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailyfreepress.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

Ok now I think thats just silly-plus, anything college Republicans do ends up being outrageous in my experience  :slywink:
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 10:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 21, 2006, 09:55:57 PM

You know what. Never mind. I thought better of this. You know that wasn't in the same stratosphere of the point I was making, but I think I finally learned what I never could on the other forums. You are not worth bothering to get annoyed over. Continue demonstrating to us how sharp your rapier wit is.

This wasn't directed at you specifically.  It was directed at the general notion that any asshole saying "nigger" is generally treated as an opportunity to discuss how hypocritical black people are.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 11:10:14 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on November 21, 2006, 10:49:41 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 21, 2006, 09:55:57 PM

This wasn't directed at you specifically.  It was directed at the general notion that any asshole saying "nigger" is generally treated as an opportunity to discuss how hypocritical black people are.
Michael Richards was an asshole. He had no right to say what he did. My post was about comedians saying things-not the hypocrisy of black people. If I didn't feel like you jumped at the opportunity to poke, prod, and harangue people for anything that doesn't pass your muster, I would not have responded in the same way. I guess its just the history of it all. Needless to say, I agree with your sentiment, but its not in any way contradictory to the point I was making.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:18:42 PM by Calvin » Logged
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 21, 2006, 11:10:14 PM

Michael Richards was an asshole. He had no right to say what he did.

Actually, he did.  Just like we have a right to ridicule him for it.

If I didn't feel like you jumped at the opportunity to poke, prod, and harangue people for anything that doesn't pass your muster, I would not have responded in the same way. I guess its just the history of it all. Needless to say, I agree with your sentiment, but its not in any way contradictory to the point I was making.

It's not always all about you just because it happens to follow your post.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »

It's not always all about you just because it happens to follow your post.
fair enough. And you weren't supposed to be worth it, so I'm done. You are winnar
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:21:19 AM by Calvin » Logged
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 01:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 22, 2006, 01:10:03 AM

Please, of course he had a "right" to, and of course we can say whatever we want about him-don't try to play silly semantics and act as if you are imparting some great truth. But no one should have ever said what he did, and I am fairly sure you knew what I meant.

I am not imparting a great truth.  You can tell because I am not wearing my great truth hat.  It has moons on it.

I thought the statement was literal.  I apologize if I was wrong.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on November 22, 2006, 01:20:18 AM

Quote from: Calvin on November 22, 2006, 01:10:03 AM

Please, of course he had a "right" to, and of course we can say whatever we want about him-don't try to play silly semantics and act as if you are imparting some great truth. But no one should have ever said what he did, and I am fairly sure you knew what I meant.

I am not imparting a great truth.  You can tell because I am not wearing my great truth hat.  It has moons on it.

I thought the statement was literal.  I apologize if I was wrong.

You really thought someone that has an IQ above 15 (and I assure you I do, though barely) doesn't understand a guy has a right to say what he wants in a privately owned area/club? If so, then I gladly accept the apology and edit out my great truth statement. And you still win the thread, since this is not actually producing productive discourse.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 01:35:49 AM »

This thread needs some

Allison Hannigan That is all!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 02:03:03 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 21, 2006, 09:59:59 PM

On a related note;

Iranians and people of that region are literally Caucasian (or rather, Caucasus).  I wonder what they are going to do when people from Middle East and Mediterranean decent start winning the awards they intended to go to them and their pals.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 03:05:13 AM »

Here is an interesting description of a regrettable encounter with Mr. Richards after he had a bad stand-up day.  For what it is worth.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 22, 2006, 01:35:49 AM

Allison Hannigan That is all!

Oh hell yeah.  Man, that really is a fantastic image.

I'll see your Hannigan and raise you some Eazy-E.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:08 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on November 22, 2006, 03:10:26 AM

Oh hell yeah.  Man, that really is a fantastic image.

I'll see your Hannigan and raise you some Eazy-E.

Oh yeah?  But can you handle THIS...

Slick Rick would bust some caps in Kosmo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:03:57 PM by unbreakable » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »

I don't see why this is newsworthy.  It pales in comparison to the whole Mel Gibson fiasco and it's not like it can hurt Richards's career.  Free cookie to anyone who can name the show he was on after Seinfeld.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 22, 2006, 04:04:37 PM

I don't see why this is newsworthy.  It pales in comparison to the whole Mel Gibson fiasco and it's not like it can hurt Richards's career.  Free cookie to anyone who can name the show he was on after Seinfeld.

I thought I already did that in my post up above from yesterday?  Wasn't it The Michael Richards Show?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »

Could be.  Guess I owe you a cookie.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 09:59:15 PM »

Why does it pale in comparison to Mel. Give me one good reason other than it was jews vs. blacks that were targeted with bigotry.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:22 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 22, 2006, 09:59:15 PM

Why does it pale in comparison to Mel. Give me one good reason other than it was jews vs. blacks that were targeted with bigotry.

IMO, it's because Mel had already had rumors that he was a bit of an anti-semite.  This was completely out of the blue.

Just Hiro will do.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 10:04:04 PM »

Plus, sugar-tits is just waaaay over the line.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 22, 2006, 09:59:15 PM

Has Kramer ever made a movie named "The Passion of the Christ"?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on November 22, 2006, 10:04:04 PM

Plus, sugar-tits is just waaaay over the line.
Sounds tasty though?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: