http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax on the same stage?  (Read 1495 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »

I'm trying to go on Thursday to see the encore showing in the theaters, but I would fly to see this live in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AdzqU4I1MM&feature=player_embedded
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:18 AM »

i think the most surprising thing about that is seeing Dave Mustaine share a stage with Metallica icon_wink

while i won't get to see Metallica and Anthrax, i do have my tickets to see Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament together in august...should be awesome Headbanging!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »

That would be an incredible lineup.  Oddly enough, the band I'd least like to see is Metallica.  I've seen them in concert twice.  Once was on their And Justice for All tour and it was great (played LOTS of Master of Puppet songs, man that album is a classic), but the second one after their Load album was the worst big concert I've seen.  They were terrible.

I'd love to see Slayer, especially with Dave Lombardo back in the lineup, but the real treat would be to see Anthrax with Joey Belladonna behind the mic.  Megadeth would just be icing on the cake. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »

So Dave Mustaine is all healed up?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 23, 2010, 01:33:17 PM

That would be an incredible lineup.  Oddly enough, the band I'd least like to see is Metallica.  I've seen them in concert twice.  Once was on their And Justice for All tour and it was great (played LOTS of Master of Puppet songs, man that album is a classic), but the second one after their Load album was the worst big concert I've seen.  They were terrible.

I'll second this.  Saw them on a Black Album tour in 92'ish, and they absolutely blew the roof off the place.  An amazing concert.  Saw them a couple years ago on the Death Magnetic tour, and they were beyond awful.  Didn't seem like Hammett could keep up anymore, and he was totally out of sync on most of the songs.  They sounded awful and I was completely bored about halfway through the show.  The guy I went with is a ridiculous Metallica fanboy, and he even said it sucked.

I'd love to see Slayer, especially with Dave Lombardo back in the lineup, but the real treat would be to see Anthrax with Joey Belladonna behind the mic.  Megadeth would just be icing on the cake. 

My first real concert was Anthrax/Public Enemy/Primus waaaaaaay back in the day.  I've seen hundreds of shows since, but that one still stands out as one of the best.  I've always wanted to see Slayer, but have always been rather 'meh' on Megadeth.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 23, 2010, 02:58:13 PM

Quote from: McNutt on June 23, 2010, 01:33:17 PM

That would be an incredible lineup.  Oddly enough, the band I'd least like to see is Metallica.  I've seen them in concert twice.  Once was on their And Justice for All tour and it was great (played LOTS of Master of Puppet songs, man that album is a classic), but the second one after their Load album was the worst big concert I've seen.  They were terrible.

I'll second this.  Saw them on a Black Album tour in 92'ish, and they absolutely blew the roof off the place.  An amazing concert.  Saw them a couple years ago on the Death Magnetic tour, and they were beyond awful.  Didn't seem like Hammett could keep up anymore, and he was totally out of sync on most of the songs.  They sounded awful and I was completely bored about halfway through the show.  The guy I went with is a ridiculous Metallica fanboy, and he even said it sucked.

Weird...I saw them in 2008, and they killed it.  In comparison, I saw them in 98 during the Reload tour, and that was pretty boring.  We actually left before their acoustic set.  I've seen them a couple of more times between those two shows, and they were decent.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 23, 2010, 02:49:16 PM

So Dave Mustaine is all healed up?

Today he is.   icon_lol
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

Must be nice to live somewhere you can see good bands.  crybaby

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

Got tickets to the Slayer, Megadeth, Testament Tour in August myself.   I've seen Metallica twice and they were awesome....however, that's been well over 10 years ago.   I wouldn't pay to see Metallica these days.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

Watched the encore theater showing last night.  Here are some random thoughts:

The mix was terrible.  The mid- and high-tones were turned up way too loud, and it was often hard to hear certain parts or instruments because of this.  This was especially true during Anthrax's and Slayer's sets.

The overall editing was a little weird at times.  They obviously edited down each band's set to accommodate for the time constraints, but sometimes you'd actually hear the crowd suddenly go from head-splitting loud to a much more subdued volume.

The bands:

Anthrax: I'm not all that familiar with their music, but they put on a good show.

Megadeth: Other than Mustaine's voice not being what it used to be, they played super-tight.  It would have been nice to see Rust in Peace played in its entirety, but I'll take Holy Wars and Hangar 18.  Other standouts: In My Darkest Hour and Peace Sells.  They played everything about a half beat faster than on the records.

Slayer:  Like Anthrax, I'm not too well-versed with their music, and I think the mixing kept me from getting into their set at all.  Everything was so loud that it just sounded like a wall of noise.  We were bored to tears during their set.  Only when they played a song with a slower tempo, like Seasons in the Abyss, was I able to hear some of the nuances of the music and enjoy the performance.

Metallica:  First and foremost: Metallica played their songs at the tempo they played in the 80's/90's.  Hammett struggled to keep up a bit during Creeping Death, but was spot-on, as was the rest of the band, the rest of the set.  Like Megadeth, other than Hetfield's voice, their set was awesome.

For their first encore, they brought out all of the other bands, save Tom Araya and Kerry King, and played Am I Evil.  Everyone up there seemed to be having a blast, and concluded with everyone walking around hugging each other.  Mustaine even hugged Kirk Hammett.  icon_eek

Last cool moment was when Hetfield was on the ground before starting Enter Sandman, the camera man did an extreme close-up of his guitar pick.  Metallica had special picks made for the show: one side had each band logo, and the other said The Big 4.  I want.  biggrin

It's supposed to be coming out on DVD (probably Blu Ray too) sometime soon, and it'll definitely be a day one buy for me.  Hopefully Metallica decides that the US should see this live.  I'd be first in line.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »

I watched a Megadth show on HD Net a few weeks back.  They played most of Rust In Peace and some new stuff.

I thought they sounded great.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 25, 2010, 02:34:28 PM

I watched a Megadth show on HD Net a few weeks back.  They played most of Rust In Peace and some new stuff.

The thing about those shows though, is that you don't know how much has been overdubbed.  I saw that show too, and Mustaine's voice sounded a lot better than it normally sounds live nowadays.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »

Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament are each supposed to be playing one of their albums in its entirety (plus additional songs) on their summer tour together.  Megadeth are doing Rust in Peace because it's the album's 20th anniversary, while Slayer are planning to do Seasons in the Abyss, and Testament will rock their debut album The Legacy Headbanging!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 25, 2010, 04:16:08 PM

Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament are each supposed to be playing one of their albums in its entirety (plus additional songs) on their summer tour together.  Megadeth are doing Rust in Peace because it's the album's 20th anniversary, while Slayer are planning to do Seasons in the Abyss, and Testament will rock their debut album The Legacy Headbanging!

Now that would be a kick-ass concert.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »

They couldn't get anyone from Slayer but Lombardo up there for that?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 25, 2010, 05:07:25 PM

They couldn't get anyone from Slayer but Lombardo up there for that?

Jeff Henneman was up there too...I didn't see him during the song, but he was running with everyone off the stage when it was finished.   icon_confused
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »

Hanneman is the man... he's not a ridiculous caricature like Kerry King... writes the best stuff...
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 25, 2010, 04:17:57 PM

Quote from: disarm on June 25, 2010, 04:16:08 PM

I watched a Megadth show on HD Net a few weeks back.  They played most of Rust In Peace and some new stuff.

Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament are each supposed to be playing one of their albums in its entirety (plus additional songs) on their summer tour together.  Megadeth are doing Rust in Peace because it's the album's 20th anniversary, while Slayer are planning to do Seasons in the Abyss, and Testament will rock their debut album The Legacy Headbanging!

Now that would be a kick-ass concert.

it's a concert i'm seeing on August 16th...should be awesome icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »

I always enjoyed Slayer growing up, particularly the South of Heaven album, but the nazi love seemed a bit much and always bothered me a bit. Are they still into tacitly praising nazi deeds?

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 25, 2010, 05:24:22 PM

Hanneman is the man... he's not a ridiculous caricature like Kerry King... writes the best stuff...

Yeah...100% agree with this. I've always found it odd that King get's so much attention from the general population, when there best song, and seemingly most popular from the same group of people, are far and away Jeff's.

JBlank....I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it Nazi 'Love', but there is a definite interest there. Angel of Death wasn't exactly extolling the virtues of Mengele. smile
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Booner on June 25, 2010, 05:43:58 PM

Yeah...100% agree with this. I've always found it odd that King get's so much attention from the general population, when there best song, and seemingly most popular from the same group of people, are far and away Jeff's.

JBlank....I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it Nazi 'Love', but there is a definite interest there. Angel of Death wasn't exactly extolling the virtues of Mengele. smile

True, the "martyr to the kingdom of the dead" isn't praising, but some of the other stuff, whew, I don't know.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »

Monarch...not martyr.  Tongue

The same song also describes him as 'sickening', 'rancid', and as an 'infamous butcher'.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »

What, you mean you don't wear a shinguard with 12 inch spikes on your forearm to gigs?  Poser Tongue

To be fair, I can't say I've listened to more than a few minutes' worth of Slayer in my lifetime so I can't comment on their musical ability or songwriting, but I always found that particular stage accoutrement just a *bit* silly.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:20:20 PM by Laner » Logged
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »

I like Metallica and have enjoyed a bit of Anthrax but have never listened to Slayer or Megadeth. My preconceived notion is that these guys weren't even in the same league as Metallica so I'm surprised to see the love for the notion of all of them together. Should I correct my preconceptions and give Slayer and Megadeth a listen? Any recommendations on tracks to judge them by?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

Speaking of Anthrax...who is singing with them on this tour?

If it's John Bush, I'd hope they'd be cranking out some songs from 'The Sound of White Noise'. That album (even though 17 years old) still feels fresh, relevant, and still remains one of the finest Rock/Metal albums ever IMO.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:16:19 PM by Booner » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 12:32:38 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on June 25, 2010, 09:47:17 PM

I like Metallica and have enjoyed a bit of Anthrax but have never listened to Slayer or Megadeth. My preconceived notion is that these guys weren't even in the same league as Metallica so I'm surprised to see the love for the notion of all of them together. Should I correct my preconceptions and give Slayer and Megadeth a listen? Any recommendations on tracks to judge them by?

Gryndyl, the reason for all the love is the fact that these four bands were at the forefront of the thrash movement.  They basically created the music style.  Metallica happened to garner a lot more success, especially due to their self-titled album.

I can't really speak for Slayer as I never really got into their music, but as far as Megadeth is concerned, you would do well to check out these albums:
  • Peace Sells...But Who's Buying (the title track itself is worth the price of admission)
  • Rust in Peace (this record is a thrash masterpiece)
  • Countdown to Extinction (their first foray into more mainstream style)
  • Youthanasia (Train of Consequences is a standout track)
  • Cryptic Writings

Their other albums may be harder to get into, especially their newer stuff.  It's very hit-or-miss, unfortunately.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »

I've got tickets to Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament in August as well.   

I had debated on seeing the Big 4 in theatres and i'm glad i took a pass.   I'll definitely be picking it up on Blu-Ray when it's released though.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »

Quote from: Booner on June 25, 2010, 10:13:12 PM

If it's John Bush, I'd hope they'd be cranking out some songs from 'The Sound of White Noise'. That album (even though 17 years old) still feels fresh, relevant, and still remains one of the finest Rock/Metal albums ever IMO.

Joey Belladonna is back doing vocals.

I've always enjoyed Slayer, but they're certainly not for everyone.  Slayer is much more speed-metal, old-school thrash style than Metallica and have significantly darker lyrical content.  Reign in Blood is not even 1/2-hour long, yet I'd say it is one of the most raw, powerful, brutal, visceral metal albums ever created, and the Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss trio may be the best 3-album run in musical history.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on June 25, 2010, 09:47:17 PM

I like Metallica and have enjoyed a bit of Anthrax but have never listened to Slayer or Megadeth...Should I correct my preconceptions and give Slayer and Megadeth a listen? Any recommendations on tracks to judge them by?

i'm not a big Slayer fan either...heard a bit of their stuff, but it's a little more rough than i typically enjoy.  that said, i've been a Megadeth fan for a long time and would even go so far as to say i like them much more than Metallica.  as for places to start with Megadeth, i don't think you can really go wrong with any of their albums up through Cryptic Writings.  unfortunately, their sound gets changed up quite a bit after that in attempts to adapt to a changing market, and it often hasn't been for the better...not necessarily bad, but pretty inconsistent quality over the last few years.  if i had to recommend one Megadeth album to get you started, however,  it's a pretty easy decision...pick up Megadeth - Greatest Hits.  i wouldn't normally recommend a greatest hits album, but it truly is a great collection of many of the bands best songs all in one place and a great introduction.

a little Megadeth history and trivia for those not familiar with the band...

Dave Mustaine, the founder, lead guitarist, and singer of Megadeth was the original lead guitarist for Metallica but was kicked out of the band before the release of their first album and replaced by Kirk Hammett.  there has been a lot of bad blood between Mustaine and Hammett/Metallica for years because Mustaine feels that much of Kill Em All's success was the result of lead guitar parts that he wrote.  to prove his point, Mustaine included the song 'Mechanix' on Megadeth's debut album...a song whose main guitar riff was written by Mustaine, but included on Metallica's first album as the song 'The Four Horsemen.'  give it a listen and you can't miss that both songs are based off the same guitar riff.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »

DVD Box set announced...

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603336

I'll hold off for blu ray, even though I won't get the CD's and other extras.  I wonder why they don't do a blu-ray box set too...  icon_confused
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »

I'm so there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BibR2SKY2AI&feature=player_embedded
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »

WOW! I must have this. The new Opeth box set comes out next week, too. Can't wait!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »

FUCK.YES
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152671

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »

Hell yeah!!!. Any dates within 500 miles of Columbia, SC and I am there.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on January 24, 2011, 09:02:55 PM

Hell yeah!!!. Any dates within 500 miles of Columbia, SC and I am there.

They're going to announce the dates tomorrow morning.  WOOHOO!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »

it's only a poster.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »

I saw the Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax version of this back in October.  It was fun, but I certainly wouldn't pay to see it again.  Especially since the last time I saw Metallica (about 3 years ago), they were absolutely dreadful.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:49 AM »

I'd go see this if all the bands promised to only play songs they released pre-1990 (I'd give Anthrax an extra year to play songs from Persistence of Time).  Otherwise, I would just get depressed at how awful they have become.

Yes, I'm old.

- shaggy

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »

On Slayer's Facebook there is a poster that only has California listed.   If they only do 1 show people are gonna revolt!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on January 25, 2011, 06:02:28 PM

On Slayer's Facebook there is a poster that only has California listed.   If they only do 1 show people are gonna revolt!

It's only one show.  In Cali.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: