http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 01:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metallica Rock Songs  (Read 1679 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »

I've recently become interested in Metallica's music.  They make some great songs... and some songs I wouldn't even bother listening through once.  I'm looking for songs that are more hard rock than thrash metal (i.e. King Nothing, Wherever I May Roam, The Unforgiven, etc).  Any favorites?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »

Seeing as how I don't think Metallica has made a good album since 1990 (and everything prior to that leans more towards the "thrash metal" side), I should probably stay out of this discussion... 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »

Since you seem to only like bad Metallica (sorry smile), I guess you will like anything after the Black album and should avoid anything before it.

Now if you are interested in finding out about the classic band, pick up Master of Puppets. Avoid Kill em All if you are don't like rawer harder music. (I am not sure if I would ever call Metallica Thrash, but Kill em All would be the only album that would be close.)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

You're looking for the names of other good Metallica songs or other good hard rock/metal songs?
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »

I've always been a fan of their version of Whiskey in a Jar. Some of my other favorites, The Call of Ktulu, Enter Sandman, Battery, Fade to Black, Welcome Home, One...I could list more but I'm not sure if I'd be venturing into thrash rock territory, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightening are great songs, but are very "thrashy." 
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm looking for names of other Metallica songs.  As for being "thrash metal", that's how Wikipedia describes them.

My vision is augmented.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 19, 2008, 02:33:26 PM

Yeah, I'm looking for names of other Metallica songs.  As for being "thrash metal", that's how Wikipedia describes them.

Yeah, I just looked up Thrash Metal on Wiki myself. I guess it just means fast metal. I don't see it myself, Ride the Lightning the song is fast, the rest of the album is not. And Justice is much more mainstream and slow I thought. I think older Metallica has a rougher sound than new Metallica. They lost that edge with the Black album and became much more refined, and for me boring.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 19, 2008, 02:40:08 PM

And Justice is much more mainstream and slow I thought.
Guh?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Laner on April 19, 2008, 02:44:33 PM

Guh?

Maybe it's just me, I listen to some stuff that is much harder than Metallica. Even their older stuff seems pretty mellow to me anymore.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »

The only Metallica album I own is S&M, and I absolutely love it.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 19, 2008, 02:46:53 PM

Quote from: Laner on April 19, 2008, 02:44:33 PM

Guh?

Maybe it's just me, I listen to some stuff that is much harder than Metallica. Even their older stuff seems pretty mellow to me anymore.
Ah.  I thought you meant in comparison to the rest of Metallica's work.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »

Ok, I just listened to Master of Puppets (the song) on Youtube.  It's not too heavy for me, just too 80's metal.  I can appreciate some metal music, but mostly it's not a genre I enjoy too much.  For instance, I like the guitar solo in the song and in other metal music, but the rest of it, particularly the vocals, is just not musically satisfying.

Edit: Also, what is this Black album you speak of?  Wikipedia doesn't list an album called "Black".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:55:34 PM by ScubaV » Logged

My vision is augmented.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 19, 2008, 02:53:02 PM

Ok, I just listened to Master of Puppets (the song) on Youtube.  It's not too heavy for me, just too 80's metal.  I can appreciate some metal music, but mostly it's not a genre I enjoy too much.  For instance, I like the guitar solo in the song and in other metal music, but the rest of it, particularly the vocals, is just not musically satisfying.

Edit: Also, what is this Black album you speak of?  Wikipedia doesn't list an album called "Black".

This one.

It signalled the beginning of Metallica's decent into complete and utter suckitude.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »

It's their self-titled album that featured an almost entirely black cover.  Hence calling it the Black album.  Most likely it was designed and named to appear in direct opposition to the Beatles' White Album.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 19, 2008, 02:58:21 PM

It signalled the beginning of Metallica's decent into complete and utter suckitude.

smile It's always amusing the reaction Metallica gets. Even back in the day they were too hard for the new evolving glam pop metal fans (which ended up killing metal) and I used to get a lot of crap for listening to them.

You don't often meet someone who likes both new and old Metallica.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 19, 2008, 03:03:47 PM

Hi, I'm The Grue...pleased to meet you.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 19, 2008, 03:26:45 PM

Yeah I got a lot of mileage out of Master of Puppets and And Justice For All, yet I still enjoyed the black album a heck of a lot.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »

carefull now , Lee, we all know whats likely to happen to you next ;-)

Anyways, I'm not a big fan of the older Metallica either, but I'm guessing you'r looking for Loaded and Reloaded albums of Metallica - both continued the style that they started with their Black album, as I see it.

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »

While And Justice For All is technically a good album, it actually begins the descent, imo.  It's over produced and sterile.  The drums sound like crap and it spawned their first video and crossover hit: One.  The success of that single-I remember kids who had never heard of Metallica saying that song was great (it was, not the point)- has lead to the utter vapidity of their work after it.

True, the black album has some good songs, but it marked the point where they became any other band and ceased being Metallica.

Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. That's indisputable!
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »

It's also one of the greatest and most successful rock records ever recorded.  Few bands will ever be so lucky to have songwriting and production come through on one album as it did for Metallica on that one.  Yeah, it's not a metal album, but that doesn't mean it's not good.  The band changed, get over it. 

Scuba, you should definitely own the "Black" album (it's the self titled one), and beyond that just download various songs or check out their S&M disc.  It'll give you a good overview of all the material they've written over the years and has the added plus of being recorded live with an orchestra so if you end up buying other albums you won't feel you wasted your money on a greatest hits type thing.

If you want to listen to classic "thrash" metal, the new Testament album isn't too bad and Slayer is still recording the same album they've always recorded.

Edit... just to point out, I don't really listen to much Metallica at all at this point.  I liked everything up through the Black album and felt parts of Load and reload were listenable, the only thing they've ever done that I would classify as awful by any standard is St. Anger.  If there is a hell, that snare drum is on the soundtrack to it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:11:01 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on April 19, 2008, 04:08:04 PM

The band changed, get over it.

I think we all got over it by 1992. Metallica died and we all moved on. smile Just when someone asks for the best of Metallica, there really isn't any dispute so we have to correct the Bon Jovi fans who turned into Metallica fans after their downfall.

And I know there are people who like new and old Metallica, they just aren't real common. Well except for on online gaming forums, but they are hardly a good representation of the country. Otherwise Battlestar Gallatica would be the number one show in the country. biggrin
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »

Hi, my name is Rick and I approve this message.  smile

I tend to prefer the older Metallica stuff (pre-Black album), but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate some of the newer stuff they've done.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on April 19, 2008, 02:47:31 PM

The only Metallica album I own is S&M, and I absolutely love it.

agreed.  if you dont like the 'thrash' songs on the older albums, you might like the way they are done on S&M

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »

I am pretty much a hard core fan, and I am one of the rare few that can appreciate a band moving in different directions.
I was in a band when I was younger, eventhough I sucked, and we played music from numerous generations and styles.

Some of the "blusey" rock type tunes that I like are:

Album Load

Bleeding Me
Wasting My Hate
The Outlaw Torn

Album ReLoad

Pretty much the entire disc

Album Garage, Inc.

Numerous covers of Rock and Punk
Examples: Whiskey in the Jar, Sabbra Cadabra, Am I Evil, Stone Cold Crazy

Album Metallica S&M

The band playing numerous tunes from its past with Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
In my opinion this combination made the songs sound even more powerful

Album St. Anger

Although I do like many of the songs on this disc the band definitely tried to bring back their hard core roots although it was not pure like their first 4 discs.

I hope this helps you

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on April 19, 2008, 04:08:04 PM

It's also one of the greatest and most successful rock records ever recorded.  Few bands will ever be so lucky to have songwriting and production come through on one album as it did for Metallica on that one.  Yeah, it's not a metal album, but that doesn't mean it's not good.  The band changed, get over it. 

I liked all of Metallica's first albums.  They changed their sound on the Black album.  I thought it sucked.  I think everything they've recorded since then sucks.  Not sure why that requires a 'get over it', but to each their own.

Britney Spears sold millions of albums too.  Successful != good.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »

I think S&M would be a great introduction to Metallica.  It has a good selection of both their old and newer stuff.  It's a live album recorded with a symphony (!) and sounds amazing.  I'd actually recommend renting the DVD of the show as it's really well done also.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 19, 2008, 07:38:56 PM

I liked all of Metallica's first albums.  They changed their sound on the Black album.  I thought it sucked.  I think everything they've recorded since then sucks.  Not sure why that requires a 'get over it', but to each their own.

You kind of nailed it with your first post.  The OP was asking for suggestions for what rock songs Metallica has released that he should check out and specifically states that he's not interested in listening to their older thrash material.

Seeing as how I don't think Metallica has made a good album since 1990 (and everything prior to that leans more towards the "thrash metal" side), I should probably stay out of this discussion...

But then you still chime in later just to state how awful you think the songs the OP wants to listen to are, that doesn't add anything to the discussion.  the "get over it" wasn't meant to be directly at you but just in general to how people tend to jump into any discussion about Metallica and try to turn it into a "they were good until..." or "The band died when Cliff did" debate as opposed to whatever the original topic was supposed to be.  Shit, it's been almost 20 years.  Get over it. slywink

Not sure what Metallica has to do with Britney Spears, though they did cut their hair short first.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 19, 2008, 07:43:06 PM

I think S&M would be a great introduction to Metallica.  It has a good selection of both their old and newer stuff.  It's a live album recorded with a symphony (!) and sounds amazing.  I'd actually recommend renting the DVD of the show as it's really well done also.

I agree.  Other than the two "new" songs that they wrote for the S&M concert, I give that CD and DVD  thumbsup thumbsup.

Let's see, if you're looking for the 'rock and roll' Metallica, start at the Black album and go up until St. Anger.  Though the latter is nothing like their earlier recordings, it's not the 'groovy rock' Metallica either.

From what I understand, their new album should be out in August or September, and should mark a return to form, whatever that means.  They're supposed to play some new material in their upcoming Summer tour, so that'll be interesting to hear.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on April 19, 2008, 09:42:25 PM

Not sure what Metallica has to do with Britney Spears, though they did cut their hair short first.

It was mainly aimed at your "Black album was one of the most successful rock albums ever" comment.  Sounded like you were going for the album sales=quality argument, which I've never put much stock into.

He was looking for opinions, I gave mine.  ::shrug::
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:11:22 PM by Gratch » Logged

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 12:49:23 AM »

I like their version of "Astronomy" from Garage Inc.

BTW, I am an old fart, and liked that song back when BOC did it too.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 02:18:24 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 19, 2008, 11:08:41 PM

It was mainly aimed at your "Black album was one of the most successful rock albums ever" comment.  Sounded like you were going for the album sales=quality argument, which I've never put much stock into.

Ah, by "successful" I kinda meant all around.  Commercially it did really well, but it was also critically well regarded and most professional engineers and songwriters still consider that album a standard to live up to.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 02:20:13 AM »

I really thought Justice was the beginning of the end as well.  Yes, they changed.  It doesn't mean I have to like the change.

Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are (in my opinion) two of the finest albums around.  Black (and even, arguably Justice) and after was just not the Metallica I grew up listening to.  Sure, bands can change.  I'm also fully allowed to dislike how a band changes.

Metallica doing a love ballad (Nothing Else Matters) was just unthinkable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: