http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet Alex, the first Muppet to have a dad in jail.  (Read 478 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »

ROLLEYES.

I'm reading a very interesting book about how the modern penal system is just Jim Crow in disguise and it's very eye opening (though I'm not 100% sure I buy the systemic racial conspiracy it claims at its core), but really? A muppet with a dad in jail?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »

I saw a piece about this (CBS Sunday y Morning, maybe?) where they interviewed various folks, from sociologists to actual kids of of people in jail, and they spoke about its value. There are a lot of poor and underprivileged children who watch the show, and this muppet, along with the muppet who is malnourished speak to a lot of their situations.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »

they should have made him a bunny:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »

Why is this a ROLLEYES?  FTFA: 

Meet Alex, the first Muppet to have a dad in jail. One in 28 children in the United States now has a parent behind bars -- more than the number of kids with a parent who is deployed -- so it’s a real issue, but it’s talked about far less because of the stigma.

Sounds like this is pretty common occurance, and a Sesame Street character facing the same challenges as lots of kids might help them cope and/or understand a bit better.  Not seeing the harm here.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

I just find it a peculiar new character choice to have such prominence.  I wonder what they'll say he did to get incarcerated...

SIM's post got me reconsidering though (as does the book I'm reading that I mentioned).

At first blush I did some quick math: 1 in 28 <4% of the population so why of all potential slices of the demographic choose this (also I don't know that such a topic needs to be introduced to the 96% of the audience (young children) that does not have a parent in jail)?

But if that  stat were retabulated on the black/minority community the number would increase significantly. So I guess it actually is a pretty good idea if that's their audience...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:16:18 PM by ATB » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

PDF Report, 2008

Parental incarceration affects a large and increasing number of children. The most recent estimates (for 2002) indicate that over 1.5 million children have a parent who is currently in state or federal prison. Most of these children are young, low-income, and black or Hispanic.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »

You know, I think I have more a problem with that Muppet's douchebag hair style than his back story. slywink
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »

ATB, you assume that the viewing audience of Sesame Street is a perfect reflection of those statistics.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 17, 2013, 08:15:36 PM

ATB, you assume that the viewing audience of Sesame Street is a perfect reflection of those statistics.

Well sure, initially, but I thought I explained it better here after more thought...?

But if that  stat were retabulated on the black/minority community the number would increase significantly. So I guess it actually is a pretty good idea if that's their audience...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:15 PM »

Sorry, I guess I missed that part. What, I'm supposed to finish posts slywink?

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 17, 2013, 06:10:58 PM

I just find it a peculiar new character choice to have such prominence.  I wonder what they'll say he did to get incarcerated...

Such prominence!
Alex will not be part of the regular cast on “Sesame Street,”

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:29:26 PM »

I've seen plenty of Sesame Street recently and I can't ever remember seeing any character talk about their personal life.  Is this something that's only going to be brought up once?  I doubt Alex is going to have his own segment where he routinely talks about his incarcerated dad. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »

I think the big thing that is missing from this discussion is the fact that the Alex character and this conversation did not appear on the Sesame Street show. That segment, along with a great deal of other clips and information, are part of an online toolkit that Sesame Street has created for parents to use in helping their children cope with difficult issues.

Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration Tool Kit

The Sesame Street organization has a whole series of tool kits dealing with different topics that parents can use to help kids that are struggling. In this case, they recognized a situation that affects a significant number of children and chose to provide resources to help parents who aren't sure how to address it on their own. That seems like a pretty respectable idea to me...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »

I prefer these muppets:

NSFW
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:04:11 AM by msduncan » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:39 AM »

It's probably going to be like one episode - they did this recently where they added a dog character who became service dog.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: