http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Sex Scandal?  (Read 3203 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/163925.html

I'm just stunned watching this...how in the hell is it that our news agencies ask these 'experts' to comment on how 'dangerous' something is when these experts haven't even played the damned thing!  Do you remember the part where you can graphically control what you want to do in Mass Effect in the 10 second sex scene?  Do you recall the full frontal nudity?  Yea, nobody else does either, but that doesn't stop the smacktard from making those statements.  In the old days you could sue for that kind of thing...

What the hell is wrong with our media?!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 22, 2008, 02:18:37 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/163925.html

I'm just stunned watching this...how in the hell is it that our news agencies ask these 'experts' to comment on how 'dangerous' something is when these experts haven't even played the damned thing!  Do you remember the part where you can graphically control what you want to do in Mass Effect in the 10 second sex scene?  Do you recall the full frontal nudity?  Yea, nobody else does either, but that doesn't stop the smacktard from making those statements.  In the old days you could sue for that kind of thing...

Yeah I heard about this crackpot a few days ago. Seems like either a joke, a complete psycho like Thompson, or....the end of the world?
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 22, 2008, 02:18:37 PM

They are stupid?

BTW:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:12:36 PM by unbreakable » Logged
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »

Bioware won't say anything because this is essentially free advertising for them. You know 500 people went and bought this game just for the promise of sex...

Consider this. We are aware how inaccurate this is because we are gamers. How accurate do you think the rest of news stories are?

Besides, scandals sell.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »

At the risk of politicizing this, I've only heard about this "scandal" through three media outlets so far:

1) Cybercast, a self-proclaimed conservative news service,

2) TownHall.com, a conservative news and opinion site, and

3) Fox News.

Two points make a line; three make a pattern.

Before posting this, I ran a quick search on the MSNBC and CNN websites.  I want to make it clear that CNN has always suffered from the worst, most bizarre search engine of virtually any "professional" site I've ever visited and I can *never* find anything there, but nonetheless: I didn't find any coverage of this imaginary dark side of Mass Effect.

"The Media" as a whole certainly has a number of significant problems in how it chooses to cover stories, but this particular "controversy" seems to have been ginned up and propagated by a very specific ideological sub-set -- one that isn't engaging in even the loosest form of fact checking before publicizing alarmist stories about how depraved videogames are going to warp your children's minds.

I agree with Knightshade Dragon that this story is unabashed nonsense, but I'm not sure it's a comprehensive example of what's wrong with "our media" as a whole.

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:26:37 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 22, 2008, 03:14:03 PM

At the risk of politicizing this, I've only heard about this "scandal" through three media outlets so far:

3) Fox News.

Before posting this, I ran a quick search on the MSNBC and CNN websites.  I want to make it clear that CNN has always suffered from the worst, most bizarre search engine of virtually any "professional" site I've ever visited and I can *never* find anything there, but nonetheless: I didn't find any coverage of this imaginary dark side of Mass Effect.

"The Media" as a whole certainly has a number of significant problems in how it chooses to cover stories, but this particular "controversy" seems to have been ginned up and propagated by a very specific ideological sub-set -- one that isn't engaging in even the loosest form of fact checking before publicizing alarmist stories about how depraved videogames are going to warp your children's minds.

I agree with Knightshade Dragon that this story is unabashed nonsense, but I'm not sure it's a comprehensive example of what's wrong with "our media" as a whole.

-Autistic Angel

Out of curiousity can you link to the Fox News article, I did a search on Fox News and came up blank.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 22, 2008, 03:14:03 PM

3) Fox News.

-Autistic Angel

It's pretty clearly an issue with right wing nutjob media though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

what?  you guys didn't find the secret code to unlock this?  it's A,B,A,B,G.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:27 PM »

/facepalm
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Arkon
Out of curiousity can you link to the Fox News article, I did a search on Fox News and came up blank.

I was refering to the video segment Knightshade Dragon linked to, but you've brought up a legitimate point: I can't find a print article on the Fox News website either.  For all I know, MSNBC and CNN have run their own on-air bits about this phony scandal, but like Fox, don't have a corresponding article on their website.

If someone can link me to such a clip, now or in the future, I'll readily withdraw my assertion that these lies are being spread exclusively by right-wing sites...but not the fact that it was first manufactured by those sites in the first place.

Finally, I'm sorry to say that I won't be surprised if left-wing politicians like Hilary Clinton or Leland Yee latch onto this controversy as another reason why we need federal regulators to watch over the videogame industry.  Believe me: if that happens, I'll be complaining just as loudly.  disgust

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

Hillary has, in the past, supported game censorship legislation.  It amazes me why anyone would attach themselves to this sort of lunacy, but maybe she did it to build "bi-partisanship" cred.

That's one reason I'm glad game companies have their own lobbying group now.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »

I can't get the original link to load, but as far as I'm concerned this is political correctness gone way too far.

Apparently the numb nuts have lost interest in trying to quell the realistic violence in games that we're moving towards (some of which I agree is excessive for my tastes - but that's why we have a ratings system. Guilty pleasures and all.), because they realize they're fighting a losing battle, and are now fearing 2 minutes of implied sexuality - the kind you'll see on an episode of most dramas - in 20 hours of game play. Of course, in this insane society, seeing a frigging nipple is too much, but seeing everything else about the breast is just fine.

To summarize: I don't understand society.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »

My worst fear is this will give Hillary a few more votes.  saywhat

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre
I can't get the original link to load, but as far as I'm concerned this is political correctness gone way too far.

The original video on GameTrailers does seem to be having some problems.  Here are two identical YouTube videos which show the same segment in full.

I think once you see it, you'll realize that this is not an issue of political correctness.  PC typically revolves around the idea that certain stereotypes, images, and word choices can be deemed offensive to certain groups of people regardless of the original intent.

This issue revolves around an apparently growing allegation that Bioware's Mass Effect is some sort of digital sex simulator which encourages pre-pubescent children to actively participate in incredibly varied and graphic sex acts with other customizable characters.  This claim is not potentially offensive to certain groups of people -- it's an outright, indefensible lie.

In point of fact, Mass Effect is the story of a counter-terrorism agent who is unable to convince an weak-kneed, flaccid unity government about a rogue terrorist planning to unleash weapons of mass destruction on the galaxy, so s/he assembles a coalition of the willing to hunt down and stop the terrorist.  I quite enjoyed it.

It's true that your character can have a physical relationship in the game.  If you were to blaze through the game by the most direct route and carefully chose all the right dialogue options, it would probably only take about fifteen hours to unlock approximately twenty seconds of soft-focus, non-interactive footage equivilent to an average episode of Grey's Anatomy.

The only possible way this scandal has been allowed to gain strength is if the people reporting on it are intentionally dishonest about the basic facts at hand.  They aren't concerned about explicit content -- they're deliberately manufacturing a baseless controversy in a cynnical ploy to draw in more consumers and frighten them about a mythical culture war that's going to subvert their basic values.  It's absurd.

I'm not frustrated with you, DragonFyre -- I'm just frustrated with the conditions that allow this sort of story to persist for weeks on end.

-Autistic Angel
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 05:46:33 PM »

My worst fear is this will give Hillary a few more votes.  

i dont know anything about hillary getting a few more votes out of this, however i am pretty positive bill just bought the game
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 22, 2008, 05:46:21 PM

The only possible way this scandal has been allowed to gain strength is if the people reporting on it are intentionally dishonest about the basic facts at hand.  They aren't concerned about explicit content -- they're deliberately manufacturing a baseless controversy in a cynnical ploy to draw in more consumers and frighten them about a mythical culture war that's going to subvert their basic values.  It's absurd.

In other words, it's a typical day with our yellow journalism media.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »

What a stupid and ridiculous story by FOX.   Everyone on their panel lambasts the game based on hearsay and false rumor.  Terrible.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »

In point of fact, Mass Effect is the story of a counter-terrorism agent who is unable to convince an weak-kneed, flaccid unity government about a rogue terrorist planning to unleash weapons of mass destruction on the galaxy, so s/he assembles a coalition of the willing to hunt down and stop the terrorist.

That's pretty good. I wonder how the Fox lady would have responded to that.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »

Quote from: noun on January 22, 2008, 07:05:02 PM

In point of fact, Mass Effect is the story of a counter-terrorism agent who is unable to convince an weak-kneed, flaccid unity government about a rogue terrorist planning to unleash weapons of mass destruction on the galaxy, so s/he assembles a coalition of the willing to hunt down and stop the terrorist.

That's pretty good. I wonder how the Fox lady would have responded to that.

Maybe a segue into Rudy 9ui11iani talking about how awesome he was on September 11th?
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

The segue to Rudy would be perfect.  He stood firm against terrorism.  He has encountered flaccidity troubles.  He has fucked so indiscriminately that it is statistically probable one was an alien.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »

Hee!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 03:35:30 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on January 22, 2008, 07:01:43 PM

What a stupid and ridiculous story by FOX.   Everyone on their panel lambasts the game based on hearsay and false rumor.  Terrible.

You should have seen the one they did about WMD's in Iraq  icon_twisted
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:30 AM »

I don't think I have ever been this pissed for a while.  I haven't heard this much filth come out of someone's mouth for a while, but this sure tops the charts.  I really hope this goes nowhere, because damn, if that is the the worst thing they have to worry about, we are in a sick, sad state.  Zomg the pixellated boobies....OH NOES!!!!!@11!!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »

EA fights back!

Good for them...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 04:27:29 AM »

Actually, this one made my day even more:

"Expert" gets lambasted on Amazon.com
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:41 AM »

LOL I love the internet!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 23, 2008, 11:08:36 PM

EA fights back!

Good for them...

Very nice, reasoned response-if a tad too acquiescent.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 24, 2008, 04:27:29 AM

Actually, this one made my day even more:

"Expert" gets lambasted on Amazon.com

That's too funny.

Some excerpts before they get pulled:

"I'm also quite disappointed that Mrs. Lawrence would use sex appeal (the cover) to sell her book. Whether she realizes it or not there are a lot of kids in book stores today that will see this and get the wrong impression.

Image means a lot Mrs. Lawrence, and you are damaging the youth of America."

"I can't believe that in this day and age a woman would so blatantly slather full nudity and graphic sexual descriptions throughout her book. I even heard that if you read this book you can pick and choose what happens during the sex by going to different pages! Absolutely terrible.

What? Why, no. I have not read the book. But that doesn't matter. It's an affront to god or something."

"What boggles my mind is that the media has not been reporting how this book is geared towards teens and children and that it promotes prostitution and sexual promiscuity."

"The Cult of Perfection? This is more the Cult of Sex than anything else. You can see by the cover of this book that the writer probably wants to teach young girls in the age range of 12-15 years old how to do lap dances for their boyfriends."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

Still waiting on mine to show up...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 23, 2008, 11:08:36 PM

EA fights back!

Good for them...

I don't think I've ever said this about EA before, but...

Go EA! Kick ass!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »

Fuck Cooper Lawrence. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck EA.

(Filling in for Ike; he's not made an appearance here).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 24, 2008, 02:56:40 PM

you forgot Martha Stewart.  I sense Ike has great rage towards her.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Where is Ike anyways? He's our current aged curmudgeon.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 24, 2008, 04:01:50 PM

I hear he was going in for a Botox treatment.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:35:38 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 24, 2008, 04:01:50 PM

Where has DBT gone?  I haven't seen him post anything in a while.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 05:18:43 AM »

looks like the so-called 'expert' author is taking back the bad things she said about Mass Effect now.  in a New York Times article from earlier today, she admits that she has now seen the game and realized that her comments were indeed incorrect...

Quote from: New York Times
In an interview on Friday, Ms. Lawrence said that since the controversy over her remarks erupted she had watched someone play the game for about two and a half hours. “I recognize that I misspoke,” she said. “I really regret saying that, and now that I’ve seen the game and seen the sex scenes it’s kind of a joke.

“Before the show I had asked somebody about what they had heard, and they had said it’s like pornography,” she added. “But it’s not like pornography. I’ve seen episodes of ‘Lost’ that are more sexually explicit."

they're also reporting that EA has been offered the opportunity to have a representative appear on Fox News, but they have not yet accepted the offer.  regardless of EA's decision, i still think that Fox News owes them an on-air apology.

you can read the full NYT article here...as long as you can get past the mandatory login...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 05:38:58 AM »

EA really should drop the hammer on FOX, even if they have no plan to actually go through with anything.  The controversy alone would stir up a lot of sales and they could easily recoup their lawyer costs.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2008, 03:19:49 PM

I think Martha Stewart is kind of hot.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 27, 2008, 01:34:06 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2008, 03:19:49 PM

I think Martha Stewart is kind of hot.

OK, make that horny rage.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: