http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:35:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martial arts  (Read 5497 times)
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2005, 07:06:04 PM »

I just watched Martial arts the true story on the discovery times channel. This was an excellent show and I recommend you watch it if you have an interest in martial arts.  In any event, the show made many of the points I was trying to make a month or so back before the discussion got derailed.  

The person on the show said, movie and tv martial arts are a cartoon of what actual martial arts are and what they are capable of. He said most of them do a great dis-service to real martial arts. Another prime point was that nearly all martial arts are designed to teach you to compete. However, in a competition you can afford to lose. Defending your life you cannot afford to lose. He said the katas most karate schools teach are worthless for actual combat. He harshly said most of the schools teach them because they take up a lot of time and keep the students there paying the money.

Most interesting was Mr. Blooming who is a 10 dan in Karate and a 9 dan in judo. He said pretty much what I said before. If a trained martial artist goes up against a boxer, he will lose, if he goes up against a wrestler he will lose, if he goes up against a proficient street fighter he will lose. Thus, basically he teaches a brand of martial arts that teaches you to be a street fighter. Although, martial arts like anything else, the people who practice whatever version of it will claim theirs is superior in some way.

All movie and tv martial arts have huge movements so you can see what is happening. The last thing you would want to do in a real fight is to telegraph to your opponent what you are about to do, or to waste any of your energy and stamina doing anything pointless. However, many real martial arts training and schools are doing the same thing. The moves LOOK good, so everybody assumes they work good, when they usually don't.

The most important thing is WILL. Martial arts is useful in teaching you potential moves and keeping your body fit. But, it isn't going to give you WILL. It is not going to let you know for certain you have that WILL. Only true combat can do that. I have fought, so I already know for certain I have that WILL. You watch shows like the sopranos, or even the godfather, their enforcers aren't martial artists, they are old fat guys. But they are old fat guys who will off you without a thought. That is power.

Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »

This is power.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 08:15:47 PM »

I had a fun experience last December.  I was a wrestler in high school and am still very fit and exercise regularly.   My buddy Ben who is just about the same size and fitness level as me used to train in jujitsu at some somewhat famous jujitsu training den in San Diego.   For fun, we decided to go at it.  I took him down to his back immediately but he managed to roll me and swing around behind.  He then put me in what is a called a "rear naked choke."  I came within about .2 miliseconds of passing out.  

Lenght of match:  @15 seconds.

Thiking back on this, it occured to me that had I been a lunatic mugger or some such thing, he could have easily killed me from that hold.

If you want a pretty telling comparison of martial arts styles check out Pride fighitng or the UFC champtionship DvDs.   The winners almost always have a combo of grapling/submission holds as a background.  And jujitsu is exactly that.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »

I already had some humor in my day. That this thread was started is a bonus biggrin
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 09:00:47 PM »

Your most important weapon is your brain, so when it tells you to run, do it.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »

Quote from: "Velvet Elvis"
This is power.

REAL ULTIMATE POWER.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »

just a preventive measure.

Keep it civil fellas Tongue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 10:13:36 PM »

Quote from: "Velvet Elvis"
This is power.

Velvet Elvis U R teh winnar!

Quote from: "The realultimatepower site"
Testimonial:

Ninjas can kill anyone they want!  Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it.  These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time.  I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner.  And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town.  My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.

And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumbsup  ninja
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 12:47:14 AM »

If you want a pretty telling comparison of martial arts styles check out Pride fighitng or the UFC champtionship DvDs. The winners almost always have a combo of grapling/submission holds as a background. And jujitsu is exactly that.<<<<<

Well, the problem with this or any competition in comparison to real combat is they take place in a ring. This greatly magnifies the impact of just pure size and strength and greatly lessons pure speed. It makes coming to grapples much more likely. In a real fight I could run a few blocks and tire the bigger opponent out and then turn on him if he is dumb enough to continue pursuit. Or just disengage completely for a draw.

Matrix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 03:50:32 AM »

There is no draw in fighting. You ither win or you lose, if you escape and he was trying to robe you or fight you,  you win you dont draw. If my objective in a situation was to avoid the fight, and i was engaged in a fight, then i lost not depending on ither i win or lose.  If my objective was to defend my friend, then if i engaged in a fight then i can win or lose.   I have experience of many years in Russian Martial art, Systema and also Split survial. Both styles very similar to what you see in street fights, and yes fight is very quick, and doesnt look anything like the movies.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 07:44:08 AM »

I'd just use my numchuck skills.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 07:52:02 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I'd just use my numchuck skills.

Listen, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter ok?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 11:49:43 AM »

I'll just punch a hole in this theory right now - this guy was a 10th Dan in karate and a 9th Dan in Judo?  That's impossible unless he is part of the McBlackbelt system.  You are required to spend 1 year as a 1st Dan, 2 years as a 2nd, 3 years as a 3rd, and so on and so forth.  That is 55 years not even counting the time it takes to GET your blackbelt.  To do it twice?  Entirely impossible.

As for fighting boxers, I have - they lose just as quick as street fighters, you just have to know where to hit them.  Don't confuse the silly slap-boxing that passes for martial arts on TV with a real traditional martial art.  Same thing with grapplers...they lose just as quick, as they are fumbling with their locks, I'm working on tearing out their eyes.

Katas are not meant for combat.  Only an idiot would associate them to combat, and The Karate Kid was the perpetrator of that foolish notion.   They are meant to teach you balance, control, and muscle memory.  Are you going to tell me those things aren't important to combat?

As for will and big movements...again...traditional martial arts are not flashy and don't have big arching movements.  If its life or death for me, I'm looking to incapacitate my opponent in one or two strikes, just the same as if I was firing a gun.  Will isn't a problem.   Don't think that having a gun suddenly makes you Mr. Willpower either, I saw that firsthand in the military with some of the mouthy paper-soldiers who couldn't cut it when it counted.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 03:43:26 PM »

Will isn't a problem. Don't think that having a gun suddenly makes you Mr. Willpower either, I saw that firsthand in the military with some of the mouthy paper-soldiers who couldn't cut it when it counted.

That's tht thing.  Will might not be a problem for you but you are trained and prepared, IIRC.  For most people, it is definitely a problem.  Carrying a gun is worthless if you don't have, as most people just can't shoot someone without training and preparation.

Your points are better taken in the sense that highly trained jujitsu/grapplers won't fumble for the locks, etc. but that very, very, VERY few people are that highly trained smile.  Every style has weaknesses, including boxers, with allow them to be taken down/out.  That is why MMA has become such a big deal, as people cross train in order to fill in those gaps.

Grappling is a great skill to have and one on one certainly dominated MMA competition for a long time.  Versus multiple opponents it becomes much less useful as an uberstyle.  If the guy in the "rear naked choke" wasn't alone, the jujitsu practitioner would find himself set up for a 50 yard field goal attempt with his head as the pigskin.

Its all situational, really.  Just try to not be in one. slywink

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »

Matrix and vagabond in the same thread. This just gets better and better! biggrin

And KD, thanks for your futile effort to bring some sanity to the discussion slywink Good luck with that.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »

Shotgun blast from a dark corner for teh win!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »

Boxing and wrestling are both martial arts. Thank you, that is all.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 05:25:47 PM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'll just punch a hole in this theory right now - this guy was a 10th Dan in karate and a 9th Dan in Judo?  That's impossible unless he is part of the McBlackbelt system.  You are required to spend 1 year as a 1st Dan, 2 years as a 2nd, 3 years as a 3rd, and so on and so forth.  That is 55 years not even counting the time it takes to GET your blackbelt.  To do it twice?  Entirely impossible.

As for fighting boxers, I have - they lose just as quick as street fighters, you just have to know where to hit them.  Don't confuse the silly slap-boxing that passes for martial arts on TV with a real traditional martial art.  Same thing with grapplers...they lose just as quick, as they are fumbling with their locks, I'm working on tearing out their eyes.

Katas are not meant for combat.  Only an idiot would associate them to combat, and The Karate Kid was the perpetrator of that foolish notion.   They are meant to teach you balance, control, and muscle memory.  Are you going to tell me those things aren't important to combat?

As for will and big movements...again...traditional martial arts are not flashy and don't have big arching movements.  If its life or death for me, I'm looking to incapacitate my opponent in one or two strikes, just the same as if I was firing a gun.  Will isn't a problem.   Don't think that having a gun suddenly makes you Mr. Willpower either, I saw that firsthand in the military with some of the mouthy paper-soldiers who couldn't cut it when it counted.

while everything you just said is 100% true, you dont actualy think you will bring any sanity to this thread do ya?    

Gotta love the part where Kata and age old tradition spanning 100s on 100s of years is just a money making method.   ohh and the part where boxers always win, thats good stuff too.  If thats true it must mean a leg sweep or a good old fassion kick to the knee are just myths.  Ive never seen a boxer have to defend his knees.  all i can really say at this point is rofl.

AttA
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »

Ok, I'm getting a serious case of deja vu here- didn't this horse get beat to death already?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Matrix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »

Aussie77 should share his majestic experience.  Dont shy away when it counts.
Semaj

View Profile
Hrm
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »

The best part of street fighting is when Ken Dragon Punches Ryu.... I loved that!

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 09:42:49 PM »

Quote from: "Matrix"
Aussie77 should share his majestic experience.  Dont shy away when it counts.

Sorry Matrix. Already participated in this train-wreck of a discussion with vagabond once before. I'm all for a rational, reasoned discussion but you won't find that here.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »

Do I need to get my nunchakus from my locker?
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

''You know, there's like a buttload of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.''

AttA
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2005, 12:51:35 AM »

Rex: At Rex Kwan Do, we use the buddy system. No more flying solo. You need somebody watching your back at all times. Second off, you're gonna learn to discipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan over here?

[points to Napoleon]

Rex: Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it. Last off, my students will learn about self respect. You think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night? Forget about it!

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 07:31:55 AM »

I'm so happy everyone's bringing out the Dynamite!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 12:49:19 PM »

Approach students. Close the circle at the feet of the Master. You have come to me asking that I be your guide along the path of Tae Kwon Leap.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »

Can we learn the lessons of Ed Gruberman?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »

How can we not pull out the dynamite on this thread.  This whole thread is like a conversation from that movie.  We got a bunch of pasty geeks on a forum professing to know something about martial arts and even more laughably combat  as a reality.  The whole thing is propesterous .

AttA
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2005, 03:56:37 PM »

I am by no means a pasty internet geek, im a pretty crazy workoutaholic, but I profess that my only knowledge of combat is completely average skill and knowledge of boxing.

I do believe that many people here have extensive experience in martial arts, and I also firmly believe that those people are NOT the ones trying to participate in the original thread, which really, gives absurdity a new lease on life.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I am by no means a pasty internet geek, im a pretty crazy workoutaholic, but I profess that my only knowledge of combat is completely average skill and knowledge of boxing.

I do believe that many people here have extensive experience in martial arts, and I also firmly believe that those people are NOT the ones trying to participate in the original thread, which really, gives absurdity a new lease on life.

well im a pasty geek with a useless black belt in tae kwon do, and i was mostly just joking, although this thread, does drip irony.

AttA
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"

well im a pasty geek with a useless black belt in tae kwon do, and i was mostly just joking, although this thread, does drip irony.

Why is your black belt useless? It sounds like its hard to get, and I certainly respect the discipline it takes to get that far into a martial discipline. Do you find the combat/protection aspects of the skill ineffective or useless, or feel like even with your knowledge you were rushed through to get the belt? Honestly curious and trying to re-rail the thread.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2005, 04:45:36 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"

Why is your black belt useless? It sounds like its hard to get, and I certainly respect the discipline it takes to get that far into a martial discipline. Do you find the combat/protection aspects of the skill ineffective or useless, or feel like even with your knowledge you were rushed through to get the belt? Honestly curious and trying to re-rail the thread.

Well thats mostly because of where i learned it.  In the US Kwon do is taught more as a sport than a martial art.  Yeah they teach you howt o break a board, or how to block a punch, but all with in the frame work of competition.  Its prolly not fair to call it useless because it did teach me discipline of mind and body, but in the realm of defending ones self it just dont fly.  In Korea there is a Tae Kwon Do slogan (for lack of a better word) its One Punch One Kill.  That illistrates the fundamental difference between learning it here and learning it there.  For a more real world example i submit this story.  

I was second best in my class.  All in all out of a class with about 30 people in it, i was damn good.  Because of this i was encouraged to compete in ATA sponsered events.   Well one day i was in a tourny and i was doing well.  i had decimated my opponents, and lost a single point in 5 bouts.  There was little doubt in my mind that i would take this thing, and walk away the winner, i was doing that good.  Infact i remember thinking to my self at that time, i might be a legitimate badass.  Then i met my semi final opponent.  Imagine this if you will.  im 150lbs and around 5'10" at the time.  I step into the "ring" and watch a little asian guy that could not have been 5'4" and mabey weighted 100lbs soaking wet and in his Gi.  We start off, and the guy leads with a straight punch to the head, and i block.  not because i want to block, but because i blocked on instinct and muscle memory (thats what kata is for for those of you who wonder).  What i did not see was the second punch.  it came so fast that i never knew it was there till it had hit me, and he had withdrawn his fist.  From my perspective, it was like he threw both punches at the same time.  Second point comes up.  Again guy hits high with a left and i block.  this time im ready and i block the punch to the solar plexus as well.   As soon as i make contact with the guys right arm he spins left and brings a backfist back twords my head.  Again i block, and just by the skin o my teeth.  The little guy withdraws his had a few inches and continues his spin to the left bringing a blinding fast roundhouse to my ribs on his way back across.  It was so fast again, i did not see the kick at all.  I did feel the 2 broken ribs however, and that was it for me, i was done.  Later i found out that the boy obtained most of his training informaly in Korea.  He came to america later with his family, and thought the sport part of it would be fun.  
They taped my ribs and i watched that boy win his next match and take the prize home.  While watching him i realized he fights with a fundamentaly different style than any american trained person i had ever seen or have seen still to this day.    Thats when i learned that yeah ive got a black belt, and it dont mean shit.

AttA
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2005, 05:04:32 PM »

ATA

You said it all right there my friend.

I've trained with Grandmaster Lee in Florida.  I just can't condone that chain as a martial art.  They have a camo belt and were guaranteeing people their blackbelt if they signed a 1 year contract.  Everything else in the conversation aside, there is no way to justify that.   That style is a damned sham...I have their black belt instructor manuals (they tried to recruit me over from Tang Soo Do)...you should see the nonsense in this thing.  Its embarrasing.  I did enjoy destroying their fighters though, especially ones 4 and 5 ranks above me. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 05:07:09 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
ATA

You said it all right there my friend.

I've trained with Grandmaster Lee in Florida.  I just can't condone that chain as a martial art.  They have a camo belt and were guaranteeing people their blackbelt if they signed a 1 year contract.  Everything else in the conversation aside, there is no way to justify that.   That style is a damned sham...I have their black belt instructor manuals (they tried to recruit me over from Tang Soo Do)...you should see the nonsense in this thing.  Its embarrasing.  I did enjoy destroying their fighters though, especially ones 4 and 5 ranks above me. smile

Well my guy was not that bad lol.  he did not guarantee any black belts as far as i know, and it tooke me almost 4 years to get mine.  Then again, if thats an ATA thing these days that just means it changed since i was 15.  That would not surprise me lots of things, have.  they have even gone a long way to make bouts less "dangerous".

AttA
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 05:51:14 PM »

Dang it, I already brought my A-game in that last thread.  I'm done.

poo.

Just Hiro will do.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »

This thread is like a train wreck, I see it as Im perusing the boards, I know I dont want to look but I seem to anyway slywink.

Anyway I'd just like to address one small portion of this thread about Tae Kwon Do.

There are 3 primary schools of Tae Kwon Do, I.T.F., W.T.F. and A.T.A.

In the mid to late 50's a gentleman by the name of General Choi Hong Hi developed a composite Martial Arts style in Korea, it was a refinement of traditional martial arts, mostly Taek Kyon and Japanese Shotokan Karate. It went through a few name changes but finally settled on Tae Kwon Do. General Choi's version(the original) of Tae Kwon Do was a requirement for all military and police personnel in Korea during the late 50's and  early 60's.

In the mid 60's General Choi made a political faux pau and visited North Korea to supposedly open some dialogue between the two factions. He quickly became Persona Non-gratis in Korea afterwards and he left and moved to Canada where he started the I.T.F. and continued to teach his early version of Tae Kwon Do.

With this black mark on his name the Korean Gov't decided to toss out General Choi's version of Tae Kwon Do and quickly put together a new version which became the W.T.F. The old Hyung style of forms were removed and the Palgwe forms were developed then tossed out and then the Taeguk forms were developed and settled on. The W.T.F. style of Tae Kwon Do became very sport-centric and a great deal of focus was placed on what became known as Olympic style sparring.

In the late 60's early 70's an Americanized verision of Tae Kwon Do was developed which is now known as the A.T.A.. Both the I.T.F. and W.T.F. forms were tossed out and all new forms were developed called Songs. The A.T.A. actually has some sort of legal patent/copyright type deal on these forms.

So basically I.T.F is old school traditional Korean Martial Arts with traditional forms, disciplines and training methods. "Sparring" tends to be looked at as an extention of the art not a "competitive" sport.

W.T.F. has some relationship to traditional Korean Martial arts but a concerted effort was made to dissassociate it from I.T.F. Tae Kwon Do. The focus is on competition and Olympic Sparring (especially since its now an accepted Olympic event).

A.T.A., no offense to any A.T.A. practioners, but I have no idea what these guys are doing. The half a dozen or so schools I've looked into across the country seem to be some mish-mosh of different martial art disciplines with almost no similiarities to I.T.F. TKD.

My personal preference is I.T.F. style of TKD, unfortunately these schools are far and few between now adays. W.T.F. is the most prevailent IMO and feeds into the whole "Competition Mom/Dad's" deal. "My Johnny won 2 trophies this Saturday" etc. etc.

Anyway if anyone lives in the N.Y.C area and is interested in checking out an exceptional I.T.F. TKD school send me an email. I cant guarntee you will become a trained killer or that you could take on the O.P. in a street fight  :roll: but you will learn traditional TKD and all that comes with that.

Oh and I made a few generalizations in this post and did not mean to offend any practioners of W.T.F. or A.T.A. TKD this is just based on my own experience and observations over the years.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2005, 01:08:31 AM »

The best instructor I ever had (Wado Ryu, though it wasn't his primary style) didn't have a very high opinion of Tae Kwon Do... I don't remember exactly what his beef with it was... something along the lines of any Tom, Dick, or Harry could be qualified to teach it regardless of ability.  Though I may be mistaken - it was a few years ago that I last saw him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: