http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manta Ray Night Dive  (Read 270 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »

Hey all,

My wife and I just got back from the Big Island of Hawaii and one of the things we did there was a night time SCUBA dive with Manta Rays.  I have some videos we took from the dive and I wanted to share with everyone here who might not be into diving, but might be interested in seeing what it's like.  It was easily one of the coolest things I've ever done.  You get to sit with this massive animals (up to 15 feet across) for an hour and they swoop all around you, coming inches from your head.  All of it underwater and at night.  It was truly amazing.

http://youtu.be/aqSEskxmryg?hd=1

I have some other videos on my channel page if you want to see more.

Hope you enjoy!
Lyno
Gaming Trend Reader

Vroom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »

That's awesome!

-Lyno
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »

Very cool.  And you didn't even know that this was right behind you:

Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:35:01 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »

That's pretty damn cool, leo.  I've done a couple night dives and I've never seen anything remotely as incredible as that.  How deep were you?  And what kind of camera/housing were you using?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:03:05 AM »

Very, very, very awesome.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »

That's awesome, Leo.  Thanks so much for sharing.  My wife is a huge huge fan of rays of any kind (we swam with stingrays on our honeymoon) but manta rays bring it to a new level, especially while actually diving.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:42 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on October 18, 2011, 01:02:31 AM

That's pretty damn cool, leo.  I've done a couple night dives and I've never seen anything remotely as incredible as that.  How deep were you?  And what kind of camera/housing were you using?

It's actually pretty shallow.  We are literally sitting at 35 feet.  I'm actually laying on my stomach, but you can see lots of people sitting.  As for the camera, I haven't graduated to those really big and REALLY expensive underwater rigs ($10k+).  I use a Canon powershot SD940is and the associated underwater case that Canon makes for it.  The setup works remarkably well for clear water conditions like Hawaii.  Our home dive is Monterey and it's not as good there because the visibility is much worse.  For this Manta dive, the ambient light from all the other divers (there's also lots of snorkelers on the surface), works really well to illuminate the scene.

There's some other videos on my Youtube channel of Spinner Dolphins we saw and some White Tip Reef Sharks that we were lucky enough to come by during a day dive, as well as more from the Manta dive.  Please check them out, too!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:21:47 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2011, 01:35:42 AM

There's some other videos on my Youtube channel of Spinner Dolphins we saw and some White Tip Reef Sharks that we were lucky enough to come by during a day dive, as well as more from the Manta dive.  Please check them out, too!

Heh.  Already checked them out. icon_wink

I live in the burbs around L.A. so all my diving has been done in the cold, gloomy California coastal waters as well.  The kelp beds always have some interesting critters around them, but nothing like your trip.  Great videos!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: