http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man who pointed laser at jet could get up to 25 years + fine  (Read 1656 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2005, 08:52:11 PM »

Link here
Federal authorities Tuesday used the Patriot Act to charge a man with pointing a laser beam at an airplane overhead and temporarily blinding the pilot and co-pilot.

The FBI acknowledged the incident had no connection to terrorism but called David Banach's actions "foolhardy and negligent."
Banach, 38, of Parsippany, New Jersey, admitted to federal agents that he pointed the light beam at a jet and a helicopter over his home near Teterboro Airport last week, authorities said. Initially, he claimed his daughter aimed the device at the helicopter, they said.

He is the first person arrested after a recent rash of reports around the nation of laser beams hitting airplanes.

Banach was charged only in connection with the jet. He was accused of interfering with the operator of a mass transportation vehicle and making false statements to the FBI, and was released on $100,000 bail. He could get up to 25 years in prison and fines of up to $500,000.

Ouch.  What was this guy thinking?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:00:25 PM »

the lesson here is, don't try stuff just because you think you can't be caught.  he obviously was curious and thought there was no way of knowing it was him.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 09:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Caine"
the lesson here is, don't try stuff just because you think you can't be caught.  he obviously was curious and thought there was no way of knowing it was him.

Apparently he never saw CSI... there's always a clue.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 09:11:05 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"

So while we are almost on the topic, am I the only person who watches shows like CSI and the random forensic documentaries and makes little mental lists of do's and don'ts... "just in case"? biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 09:43:25 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

So while we are almost on the topic, am I the only person who watches shows like CSI and the random forensic documentaries and makes little mental lists of do's and don'ts... "just in case"? biggrin

s

Yes, you are the only one.

Hint - That message of yours could used against in a court of law. It's in my notes here somewhere.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:22:53 PM »

Yep.  The lab montage will get you every time!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 10:24:08 PM »

s

Yes, you are the only one.

Hint - That message of yours could used against in a court of law. It's in my notes here somewhere.

LOL I must have missed that episode. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:38:12 PM »

I wonder if it was a green laser? Those are powerful. My dad has one and we have to be careful during astronomy events because they're so bright to the point that some astronomers even complain about them.

[Edit: Should actually read the article first. It was a green one.]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 12:42:13 AM »

s

Personally I see shows like that and my first reaction is, "Damn, I'm never going to get away with my awesome foolproof plan."  Then I watch the news and realize the best way to get away with it is to have absolutely no plan whatsoever.  Cool crimes are always getting solved but the simple, run of the mill stuff vexes authorities.  I think it must have something to do with the investigators being bored with the common stuff.

My advice is to go out and pick up some of the more common implements, like duct tape, rope, a hunting knife, a big area rug, and quicklime a piece at a time and stash it.  Then when you need it you won't leave a hot trail.  
"Just in case"  :twisted:

All hypothetical of course Mr. FBI.

God, the Patriot Act probably has something covering this post.  If you don't hear from me in the next few days please mail my GBA to Guantanamo...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 03:18:32 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Link here
(quote snipped) Initially, he claimed his daughter aimed the device at the helicopter, they said.

What a fucking tool.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 04:08:48 AM »

I guess I am naive. I had no idea that was illegal. If I just got a powerful laser I would probably shine it all over the place without thinking I was doing anything wrong.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 04:18:55 AM »

Slashdot had an article about a green laser being sold which is so powerful it can burn a hole thru a styrofoam cup.  I guess the creator was required to put some kind of separate key part into it just so it would be legal to sell (meaning a parent can hide the key so no accidents happen).
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 05:32:38 AM »

Sweeeet. Where's my laser-equipped flying car already??? I need it for ... hunting.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »

I've never seen CSI, but I know a guy who works for the bureau of criminal apprehension's crime lab.  Don't talk to him about work while you're eating.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 09:22:15 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
All hypothetical of course Mr. FBI.

God, the Patriot Act probably has something covering this post.  If you don't hear from me in the next few days please mail my GBA to Guantanamo...

ninja

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 06:26:44 PM »

THe Patriot Act is a bit ridiculous now.  THis guy isn't too msart by any means but do any of you have one of the green laser pointers?  Those things are crazy.

I got one as a gift and it goes something like 2 miles (so it says).  It can even point out stars and constellations at night.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 07:22:31 PM »

I'm just surprised he was able to aim it with any accuracy... hitting a jet at 3000 feet with a handheld laser?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: