http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:15:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, its boring being out of work  (Read 1143 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »

So, as I've posted elsewhere briefly, I was recently laid off and is looking for new work (Suggestions near Aarhus are welcome ;-) ), and by god its boring.

I mean, sure, I love gaming but every day while the GF is at work?

I know some of you guys here have been in the same situation - what do you do with your day? Today, I baked bread for gods sake to have something to do,and the house is spotless, which the GF greatly appriciated, but still. I get up early every morning and start the days job search, but to honest, after an hour or two, thats done with, standard chores then takes about another hour, and then its 10 am.

Anyways, slightly ranting I know, but...Entertain me please :-D

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 16, 2011, 03:43:07 PM

WTF is wrong with you?! *Fist Shaking*

I say this only because I had almost no time to game when I was on unemployment   slywink nod crybaby

I did projects around the house and usually spent about an hour a day looking for work.  I moved a lot of mulch, spent a lot of time hanging with the kids and we built a mulch pit around my kids playground set.  Oh and stained the fence we had installed.

Find a charity or something to volunteer at or catch up on your reading.

PS. Sorry you lost your job.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

So, as I've posted elsewhere briefly, I was recently laid off and is looking for new work (Suggestions near Aarhus are welcome ;-) ), and by god its boring.

I know some of you guys here have been in the same situation - what do you do with your day? Today, I baked bread for gods sake to have something to do,and the house is spotless, which the GF greatly appriciated, but still. I get up early every morning and start the days job search, but to honest, after an hour or two, thats done with, standard chores then takes about another hour, and then its 10 am.

Anyways, slightly ranting I know, but...Entertain me please :-D

Got any other hobbies?

Are you physically fit? I was terribly out of shape when I got laid off for about 8 months a few years ago and used that time to get off caffeine (migraines for weeks is not fun when employed but survivable when not) and do a little exercising. Not a lot, not to buff up, just so that I could sprint a couple blocks and not feel like I need an emergency room. May not apply to you.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

Having just spent three months out of work, I totally agree.  Yeah, you can do "job stuff" for an hour or so each day, but realistically, not more than that.

I tried to give myself at least one or two chores to do every every day, like cleaning, dishes, whatever.  I made an effort to cook more, so actual cooked breakfasts more frequently, and better dinners.  The big thing was exercise.  I started doing a 45 minute or longer workout every single day, because I kind of didn't have a reason not to.  I spent time teaching myself the guitar and picked up the violin again.

Okay, so I also watched a mess of TV series and actually got to talk to a friend in Germany pretty frequently because the time zones were less of an issue when I had afternoons free.  But generally, yeah, finding stuff to fill all that time with can be really hard.  Make sure you shower and put on real clothes daily, since there's a pretty strong temptation not to, and once you start down that path, it's a slippery slope.

Oh, one thing I didn't do was much gaming at all.  I mean, I did play Portal 2 twice, but that was about it.  I'd dabble in them, but never for more than an hour or two.  That pretty much proved that my non-gaming over the last eight months has more to do with my own lack of desire to game than lack of time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:03:16 PM by Chaz » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »

Today, I baked bread for gods sake to have something to do,and the house is spotless,

so, you wearing an apron while you do all that?  next thing you know you'll be sitting on the couch, eating bon bons while watching the Danish equivalent of Oprah.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 16, 2011, 03:56:11 PM

WTF is wrong with you?! *Fist Shaking*

Sleep til your wife almost gets home, cook dinner and have fun. When she goes to bed, then it's time to game!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »

When I was first out of work last summer, it was great. I got a ton of yardwork done, was able to run errands and was able to extend my normal summer vacation. After a while though, yeah, I felt bad if I was doing things other than looking for work, especially playing games, although it was strangely fortunate when I wound up getting laid up with thryoiditis for a month. At some point, the specter of unemployment running out also starts to get to you.

Now that I have been employed again for 7 or 8 months, I'm wanting some free time again so I can do my yard work Tongue But I'd rather be employed.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »

You could make it a goal to read all of CeeKay's posts, but I don't know if you will have enough time.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 16, 2011, 04:42:47 PM

You could make it a goal to read all of PeteRock's posts, but I don't know if you will have enough time.

sorry, but Pete is the king of verbosity biggrin

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »

Is Aarhus in the middle of our street?   Sorry, momentary madness.

I'd second some of those suggestions.  Fitness is great.  We just hosted an Ironman Triathlon here.  While I know I probably will never be able to do an ironman, I should be able to make it through a smaller tri.  You never regret getting healthier.  It wouldn't hurt to get a physical and make sure there are no limitations on your activities.

Charity is also great.  There's nothing like helping people to make you appreciate all the blessings in your own life.  Even simple things like visiting retirement homes or helping people solve computer problems make you feel like your time was well spent.

Of course there's also targeted volunteering.  You offer to help a company or organization doing the type of work you'd like to be working.  It helps expand your networking contacts and might put you in line for the next opening.

Good luck.  

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 16, 2011, 04:50:50 PM

Is Aarhus in the middle of our street?   Sorry, momentary madness.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

I did some volunteering at the food bank, so I at least had something useful to do. I ended up paying a little bit for some professional education eventually, since a master's in psychology is a worthless degree. A one week course in Good Clinical Practice and oncology immediately landed me a job in clinical research, where I've been working for over two years now. Unemployment is a great time to learn something new in an area that you're personally interested in, but never had the time to delve into.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »

I was let go from my company in May of 2009 and diligently looked for work for about six months.  It was an 8-hour/day process with no rewards and endless frustration.  After learning that the environmental consulting market was not the booming industry it once was (at least in Arizona), I decided to return to college full-time to make a risky but much-needed career change.  I have been working very hard at completing the necessary undergraduate coursework to apply to pharmacy school (semesters full of microbiology, physics, anatomy/physiology, general chemistry, organic chemsitry, etc - all courses I didn't need for my geology degree). 

My wife supports us both during my academic pursuits, and while we've been forced to live a very frugal lifestyle (sometimes frustratingly so), I will be applying to PharmD programs this coming fall.  I've maintained a 4.0 GPA, earned various awards for academic performance, am currently volunteering at a local hospital pharmacy for experience, studying for the PCAT exam at the end of July, and also maintaining the "trophy wife" lifestyle of maintaining a rigorous fitness regiment, cooking tasty meals, keeping the house clean and in order, the laundry washed and folded, the dogs fed and de-pooped, and the cars shiny and clean.  My wife's day starts at 8am and ends at 5pm.  Mine starts at 5:30 to 6am and doesn't ever end until bed.  During the school year my days start as early as 4am and continue until bed.  If I'm not volunteering, cleaning, laundering, or lifting, I'm studying, reading, gaming, or cooking. 

First you have to figure out what you want to do with your time.  Then you have to do it.  I still have 4 more years of graduate education ahead of me, but upon completion we may see a change in forum name from PeteRock to Dr. PeteRock, and the fabulousness will finally once again resume. 

To be honest, since losing my job I feel like I am busier than when I had a job.  But also happier

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »

I did Volunteer work, Picked up new skills (SQL server Admin certification), trained for a bike ride, gamed, etc.  I tried to get out of the house first thing in the morning by biking to the library and studying for the SQL Server cert, I'd get a training ride done in the afternoons, and saved my gaming for evenings.  Gaming was actually a good cost-efficient entertainment.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »

I remember in mid-20's being unemployed. Sure I was collecting unemployment money but it barely covered the basics (rent, food etc) so i couldn't afford doing fun things. I was so bored after just a couple weeks.....
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »

Thanks guys, some excellent ideas in there. As for the workout, I kinda stopped that when I lost my job, but I'll start monday back on my three times a week in a fitness center - Great idea.

As for charity....not a bad idea, I'll have to look into that.  Not sure what options there are though, but then again, its a pretty good way to use ones time.

I did briefly consider edumiduciating myself further, but not quite sure what and how. I've been in the marketing /costumer / sales / telemarketing business all of my life, even though I have a computer degree.

Its easy to become lost in doing nothing every day though, which is why I get up early every day and do the daily stuff, and now with training as well :-)

As for reading all of Ceekays post? I'm unemployed, not immortal.

I must admit, I *have* been playing Mount and Blade Warband (Prophecy of Pendor) a LOT though...which also gets kinda boring in the long run!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 16, 2011, 07:52:15 PM

plus you probably want to keep your sanity somewhat intact.

Because I can,
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »

Thanks guys, some excellent ideas in there. As for the workout, I kinda stopped that when I lost my job, but I'll start monday back on my three times a week in a fitness center - Great idea.

As for charity....not a bad idea, I'll have to look into that.  Not sure what options there are though, but then again, its a pretty good way to use ones time.

I did briefly consider edumiduciating myself further, but not quite sure what and how. I've been in the marketing /costumer / sales / telemarketing business all of my life, even though I have a computer degree.

Its easy to become lost in doing nothing every day though, which is why I get up early every day and do the daily stuff, and now with training as well :-)

I must admit, I *have* been playing Mount and Blade Warband (Prophecy of Pendor) a LOT though...which also gets kinda boring in the long run!

How long is "all my life"? Sales and marketing skills can be used almost anywhere. I went from researching LCD TVs to managing (HIV) drug research. Just find the overlap with a different industry, spend some time on (and have fun with) edumidicating yourself about said industry, and enjoy your newfound job. smile

Alternatively, play Terraria for 40 hours. It's time well spent.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 16, 2011, 05:46:03 PM

May of 2009 and diligently looked for work for about six months.  It was an 8-hour/day process with no rewards and endless frustration.  After learning that the environmental consulting market was not the booming industry it once was (at least in Arizona), I decided to return to college full-time to make a risky but much-needed career change.  I have been working very hard at completing the necessary undergraduate coursework to apply to pharmacy school (semesters full of microbiology, physics, anatomy/physiology, general chemistry, organic chemsitry, etc - all courses I didn't need for my geology degree).

[sidetrack]

I sent you a PM - hopefully you don't mind replying.

[/sidetrack]
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 02:41:09 AM »

As for charity....not a bad idea, I'll have to look into that.  Not sure what options there are though, but then again, its a pretty good way to use ones time.

Since you were in sales, why not spend free time to do some freelance sales job while looking for a salary job?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:00:26 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 04:44:55 AM »

I spend my extra time online, pointing out mistakes to random people, like when they misuse or outright forget apostrophes.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 05:59:52 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on June 17, 2011, 02:41:09 AM

Since you were in sales, why not spend free time to do some freelance sales job while looking for a salary job?

Prostitution?

Quote from: Tscott on June 17, 2011, 04:44:55 AM

I spend my extra time online, pointing out mistakes to random people, like when they misuse or outright forget apostrophes.

I've met people who call them "high commas".   icon_confused

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »

rritchard is always looking for new pool boys for the cabana. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 17, 2011, 06:02:33 PM

This is true, and I'm not very demanding.  Or picky, as noted in the Green Lantern thread.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »

I already declared him TiLT's cabana boy.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 17, 2011, 06:18:37 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 17, 2011, 06:02:33 PM

This is true, and I'm not very demanding.  Or picky, as noted in the Green Lantern thread.

Liar.  I sent you those photos and the only reply you sent me in reference to the job was, "Speedos were never meant to hold back that much misery and pain.".

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »

As for charity....not a bad idea, I'll have to look into that.  Not sure what options there are though, but then again, its a pretty good way to use ones time.

If you've ever been so inclined, it's a great time (for you personally, I mean, but maybe not necessarily in the grand scheme of things) to start a company and/or examine self-employment options.  You might hate it, or it might not work for you, but you'll probably never have a better opportunity than you do right now to examine the possibility.

Also, do keep up on the fitness thing.  I'm convinced that getting lazy and feeling bored begets more of the same and is an ugly cycle to fall into.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:39:05 PM by Geezer » Logged
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »

First, I didn't think they allowed unemployment in Denmark.  How un-utopian for the happiest country in the world.

Second, marketing/sales...well...there IS this pharmaceutical company in Denmark that does that kind of thing that you may have heard of.  Don't they employ like 1/2 the people there anyways? smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

I've been in the unemployment boat for a few months now and I agree with it getting boring.  I wouldn't have thought I'd be bored not working. 

I've started working out again and eating healthier.   I finished doing a big cleaning getting rid of stuff I don't use anymore.  Other than that and looking for work, the internet is getting a lot of time.  Haven't done as much gaming as I thought I would do.

I've been thinking to move back to Minnesota to be closer to family if I don't find something soon.  My dad's not in great health and if I feel I should be closer to them so I can help them out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »

I have been close to out of work for two and a half years now,and the first year was the most frustrating as i was actually looking for a job and i had absolutely no luck,but i was kept reasonably busy looking and having to go to weekly job search meetings etc(Tuesdays and Thursdays),the other days as you mention were long and boring.
Then things turned for the worse and i got ill and i had to have a lot of Hospital visits,while the hospital visits only happened once a month(overnight stay),for some reason time went by fast

(Note:-Playing Borderlands with Myto for most of October and November last year was a great way to spend some of the time,and may be one of the reasons why the time flew by)

From February i guess you could say i have been on the road to recovery,and my 360 has been keeping me company,not just with games but as you can tell from another thread i started to watch the entire X-Files series again icon_biggrin(half way through series 3)....next month i have to have a medical assessment and maybe,just maybe they will let me know that i am fine to work again,although i am pretty sure i may not be able to do what i used to do(Warehouse ..er..bum)

working again i am looking forward to,but actually looking for that job i am dreading mad

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »

Hope things go well for you on the medical front, metal.  That's one thing that sucks with not working is losing my health insurance.  I went and bought some, but it's more expensive and not nearly as good as through my previous employer.  I'm hoping I can stay healthy.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

Just wanted to update this, since I'm kinda excited - Got a call last week from a previous coworker, who's started his own advertising agency and after a talk today, I start there next week!

It's a small agency, which is both good and bad. Less capital in the firm, but also a lot of sway in how to approach the job and my own future!

Anyways - Just wanted to let you know there's still jobs out there, for you guys who are looking for it :-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »

Congrats! smile
Lyno
Gaming Trend Reader

Vroom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »

Congrats!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

Congrats Raz  thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »

nice, congrats!

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

Nice!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »

Congrats, Raz

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

Nice!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »

Thanks guys - I appreciate it! While sleeping in in the mornings is nice, it doesn't pay very well ;-)

hm, I could have sworn I answered this:

Quote from: Eightball on June 18, 2011, 01:09:07 AM

First, I didn't think they allowed unemployment in Denmark.  How un-utopian for the happiest country in the world.

Second, marketing/sales...well...there IS this pharmaceutical company in Denmark that does that kind of thing that you may have heard of.  Don't they employ like 1/2 the people there anyways? smile

Heh, well - we ARE allowed to be unemployed, but you can get a nice welfare paycheck if you are so inclined though.

Aye, I know the company and while its close, its not quite 1/2 of us :-D

Last week of "Vacation" now!! And Deus ex 3 in next week...sigh ;-)

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: